Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Driverless Cars

2»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,859
    edited October 2012
    Just one big issue - what to do about speed and camera generated revenues. I wonder if such systems could also be linked between cars and traffic controls to finally establish responsible light sequencing. I won't hold my breath.

I'd let the car take me home in the evening grind, but I wouldn't want the system if it couldn't be disabled at my own whim. Train the system to interact with human driven cars (and motorcycles, pedestrians, etc), and it might have a future.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,990
    edited October 2012
    LOL, if anything will kill driverless cars, it'll be the loss of speed cam revenue. Didn't think about that wrinkle.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• victor23victor23 Posts: 201
    give us a button that returns control to the driver on fast mountain roads

I wouldn't want the system if it couldn't be disabled at my own whim

Sorry, not gonna happen. Once give up your liberty/authonomy - gone forever. Example: you cannot fully disable ESC on many last model cars. They will tell you that this is a liability issue. One of those "code" words: "safety" or "liability". When you hear them, it means: "shut up and do what you are told". Maybe you'll be allowed to disable it only in specially designated areas with a preapproval of your "flight plan" (apply 10 business days in advance). SL of 35 mph will apply for any manually operated vehicle. "Fast mountain roads" - that is exactly where it will never be allowed, for "safety" reasons.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    figure out who's liable when two autonomous vehicles collide,

Hold the engineers and politicians that decided autonomous driving vehicles was a good idea accountable and liable? Hahahahha.... it'll never happen. :sick:
  • mt2000mt2000 Posts: 5
    edited October 2012
    "It will be a sad day when the pleasure of driving is taken from us. Just as bad as having electric cars eventually jammed down our throats. Our Government is becoming more and more oppressive. "
    ---
    Damn tru dat!

Where I live, they won't even allow me to take my donkey cart on the freeway!

Oppressive, I tell ya!

;) ;) ;)

"Of those questioned, 79 percent said they would be concerned about equipment failure, like a software glitch or a balky sensor; 59 percent would worry about liability issues, such as where blame would lie in the event of an accident; 52 percent would fret about hackers invading their cars' systems; and 37 percent would be concerned about various corporate and government entities collecting their personal data, such as speed and location."

Driverless Cars? Not in My Garage, Say 88 Percent of U.S. Adults

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"A little-noticed amendment to the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic agreed last month would let drivers take their hands off the wheel of self-driving cars. It was pushed by Germany, Italy and France, whose high-end carmakers believe they are ready to zoom past American tech pioneers and bring the first "autonomous vehicles" to market."

Cars could drive themselves sooner than expected after European push (Yahoo)

edited May 28

“There's this myth that people love driving,” Urmson said earlier this month. “But commuting to work in the morning isn't fun. What if we could let people focus on things like texting that they are already doing in their cars, but do it safely?”

Google reveals prototype, plans for self-driving car (Detroit News)

Google To Test Fleet of Self-Driving Prototypes This Summer

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,016

nytimes.com/2014/05/28/technology/googles-next-phase-in-driverless-cars-no-brakes-or-steering-wheel.html?_r=0

In some circumstances, I can see this being beneficial, e.g., those who've had a few too many, elderly folks that no longer drive, tourists in unknown city. However, could this eventually put thousands of taxi drivers in the unemployment line?

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750

It was interesting to see the responses from 2012. We see cars now that will warn you not to change lanes and several will stop rather than run into another car. The drivers in these commercials all seem distracted to me. But in truth with the generation now getting to drivers age it seems like fewer and fewer are interested in owning a car. I have seen some of the google cars and it looks like they do work so I guess the new kids could always get a car that drives itself. Worried about information being given to the government? Like it isn't now with Google and face book, twitter, instagram? Not even getting into the NSA and our phones.

On a side note I read a blog that suggests one big advantage would be that you could send the car away after getting to work freeing up parking space. Think what that could do for places like San Francisco.

I also don't see people resisting this movement all that much. Look at how many people don't drive in New York City. Buses, Trains, even cabs and planes don't require any input from the passenger and about half the people living in Manhattan are not driving now. Just food for thought.

@boaz47 said: one big advantage would be that you could send the car away after getting to work freeing up parking space.

Why own a cab when you can hail one?

• boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750
    True, Stever. We already assume the position of passenger almost every day. For tasks like commuting all that would be different is a computer driving rather than someone with a bad attitude.
2»