Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Driverless Cars

Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
edited February 5 in General
What seemed to be a pipe dream just a few years ago may be reality in 3 to 5 years.

Going to be fun working the bugs out of these.

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    "California's state Senate approved a bill last month to allow road-testing of driverless cars. California joined Nevada, which passed similar legislation in March and licensed the nation's first self-driving vehicles in May. At least four more states — Arizona, Hawaii, Florida and Oklahoma — are considering legalizing autonomous vehicles.

Proponents of self-driving cars say the vehicles can reduce accidents, clear traffic congestion, lower emissions and transport blind or disabled people. Critics argue that the technology is unproven and could be unsafe."

Auto industry speeds toward driverless cars (Detroit News)
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 432
    I see driverless cars everyday with the person sitting behind the wheel texting or fiddling with their cell phone.
    LOLOL.

Quote of the Day. :D
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,898
    You beat me to it. I invite anyone to come to the Bellevue-Redmond area...at times, maybe half the cars have no actual driver, just a warm pile of atoms sitting in the drivers seat making a random input now and then.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    We've had driverless cars in my area for decades. On closer inspection you see a pair of hands on the wheel and sometimes can catch the top of a hat at about the level of the bottom of the "driver's" window.
    edited June 2012
    That was me at my first traffic stop. At 13. Cop couldn't see anyone driving when he went past. Another decade or so and that'll be me again.

I've been on a few long stretches of road where you set the cruise at the speed limit and occasionally nudge the wheel with your knee (I-94 in Eastern Montana for example). If the car was driving itself, I could be scanning the horizon with my binocs, looking for antelope.

Usually I'm having too much fun just looking at the scenery go by. Maybe if I had a longing, boring commute every day, this tech would be handy.
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 732
    Not for me. Not ever.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,278
    Driverless cars be used as a traffic "fine" punishment.

If you cause an at-fault accident, you must let Google do the driving for you for 1-year.

If you can go the following 5 years (after the year of punishment) without an at fault accident, then you start over. If you have another accident in those 5 years, then you get punished with a driverless car for 5 years, again, needing to prove yourself for 5 years to start the cycle over at 1 year punishment again.
    edited September 2012
    And they'll drive better than you can.

So says Dan Neil.

"The danger will come not from auto-piloted vehicles but from the holdouts, those drivers who for whatever reason rely on the faulty, flimsy wetware between their ears. What will be normative? Should manually operated vehicles be the ones to give way? Or should autopilot cars (with special running lights) be especially deferential to their inferior human counterparts?

Nobody cares about driving anymore.

Give people a button that says "Home" and I guarantee they will push it."

Who's Behind the Wheel? Nobody (Wall St. Journal)
    Not viable until infrastructure improves and software is perfected for all conditions. I'm not holding my breath.

That being said, a lot of "drivers" should be forced into such cars.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    Got to ask, are consumers really asking for this, or are we just throwing more tax monies around in the name of stimulus? Wonder if the gov figures that once they control the car, then they get access to your personal info off of it. That means it will be easier to insert tolls, tax by mileage and maybe even provide insurers all of your info? George Orwell was just a few decades ahead of time!
    Some use Orwell as an instruction manual rather than a warning.

It's a lot deeper than stimulus. It's control. I'd also worry about data breaches - some idiot upper manager loses a laptop on a flight, a few million people have their info compromised, and the manager ends up with another promotion towards a huge pension.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    It will be a sad day when the pleasure of driving is taken from us. Just as bad as having electric cars eventually jammed down our throats. Our Government is becoming more and more oppressive. Eventually we will all drive shoebox sized dull cars driven by computer taking us home to our 800 square foot government mandated apartments.
    I can think of a lot of fun roads that probably won't see pavement in the next 20 years, much less lane avoidance systems.

On the other hand, commuting on a crowded freeway twice a day isn't what I'd call pleasure driving.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    And it's just gonna kill hitchhiking.....
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    It'll also kill traffic violations, so governments will have to find new sources of revenue. And insurance companies will too.
    edited September 2012
    Very good point - kills revenue gouging streams for both often less than responsible and accountable groups. Big reason why it might not happen.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I've done lots of long road trips with my family and I'd love to have driverless cars...at least on the interstates. I think it would be great to enter a highway, punch in your exit, then take a nap, watch a movie or just relax. Then take the controls back when exiting.
    I think it has a time and place, and I have nothing against it really - so long as it doesn't become mandated (and then tracked in a way that would make Orwell cry). And IMO, many "drivers" should have their inputs limited.