Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMWs - Still The Ultimate Driving Machines?

2»

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    edited August 2012
    While the the 3-Series and the (ugy) 1-Series are regarded as great drivers cars, the new 5ers and 7ers have been called cruisers. The Avalon (or the TL or M) are, arguably, also cruisers, but cost much less than the larger Bimmers. Are the 5 and 7 better cruisers than their Japanese counterparts? If so, are they worth the extra money?
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,001
    I haven't driven the current models of any of those, but I'm sure that even the current "numb" 5-series will feel more connected to the road than an Avalon--they're very different animals.

Having owned both an E90 3-series and (presently) an E39 5-series, the old E39 feels heavier and less precise, and although the steering doesn't inspire as much confidence, it seems to have a similar level of grip in the corners (both vehicles had/have the sport package).
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    Thanks for your response. What seems to happen is that the difference in driving experience, from a driver's car perspective, diminishes between BMW and more ordinary counterparts as size and weight increase.

I wouldn't expect the Avalon to have the same level of grip as a 5-Series with sport package, but I haven't read a comparison test that suggests that the latest generation 5er has more grip than the SH-AWD equipped Acura TL or Infiniti M.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    Well, it's not just a question of grip. What I particularly like about BMWs is their ability to let the driver know exactly what is going on at the contact patches. My experience behind the wheel of the F10 5er(non-Sport 528i and 535i) reveals that this ability is severely muted in the latest iteration of the 5er. The primary offender is the numb power steering. Still, if forced to buy a big sedan(a choice I hope I never have to make) I'd probably give the nod to the F10, if only for the fact that it is RWD.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    Rumors of good leasing deals in the US have been floating around (partly to try to keep ahead of Mercedes sales numbers).

Luxury carmaker BMW starts to feel industry pain (Reuters)
    "2012 profit targets look secure, but next year looks questionable.

Europe, now officially in recession after a second quarter in a row of negative growth, will make it more difficult to make money. China and the U.S. will not be enough to keep overall profits improving.

Still, BMW, and upmarket compatriots like Mercedes and VW’s Audi, are doing better than most of Europe’s mass car manufacturers, which are losing huge amounts of money with no end in sight."

U.S., and China, will buttress BMW in 2012, while Europe sputters (Detroit News)
    "Brisk sales this year also come from a rebound in the luxury auto market as well-heeled buyers who were nervous about the economy pull the trigger on car purchases delayed for several years.

Adding to the frenzy is the heavy advertising and attractive year-end specials offered by BMW and Mercedes-Benz as they duke it out for bragging rights as the nation's top luxury brand."

Luxury car sales on track to have best month in years (LA Times)
2»