Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 VW Jetta Stalls

I purchased a VW Jetta 2011 with 15,000 and the morning after I bough it stopped while I was driving it, as it did 6 randomly times after that.
The 1 time I took it to the dealer but as there were no codes shown they gave it back to us (not trusting what I was saying)
The 2nd time they said Oh! it must be the gas pump, they replaced it.
The 3rd it happened to them as they were test driving it so they said Oh! it is the ignition switch, they replaced it.
The 4th time they said Oh! it is the battery cables that have a malfunction so they fixed it.
I just took it back because the VW Customer Care which does not seem to CARE about their customers did not give me the option to change the car for a same one that is not broken so we had no other option that taking it back.

Comments

• ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    You bought a used 2011 with 15,000 miles correct? Sounds like the original owner had the stalling problem, couldn't get it fixed and traded it. Did you purchase it from a VW dealer? Was it VW certified? Complain all the way to the top.
    You state the problem happened the day after you bought it. A 2011 with 15,000 miles is still under warranty. Complain and complain some more. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Good luck.
  • iorguiorgu Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 jetta with only 7000 miles on board . everything was OK untill 2 months ago when I start having problems starting it in the mornig when the engine is cold.
    I'am starting the car, and at the moment I release the brake pedal to move, the car abruptuly jumps. Is doing that only when the engine is cold. Anyone experience this problem? I was told by the people from the service that is normal, and I have to let it warm for a few minutes. I am wondering how come it didn't do that for 7 months and suddenly I have to warm up the car in the morning , especialy now, in the summer??!!
  • mamx4mamx4 Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with 145,000 trouble free miles. Over the last 5 or 6 months, when driving down the road, it has started stumbling like it is going to die when I have been travelling at a constant speed and first let off the throttle to slow down. I am travelling in New Mexico in the mountains and it seems to be much worse. Again it has never died, but even with the cruise on, if it starts to slow down it stumbles. Any ideas? For what it may be worth, over the last 5 or 6 months, my mileage has gone from 40-42 to 34-36?!?!?!? Is this also indicative of the same problem or something else ready to rear it's head? I do all PM either myself or take it to my German Autokraft mechanic (yes, he is really German). Do my own oil changes and use Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. Transmission flush, filter and fluid with Royal Purple (yes, I talked to the VW engineers about using this in the 6 speed transmission and they gave their blessing). I live out in the country on a gravel road and change the air filter much more often than required because of that. I do not wish to be stranded someplace, so if anyone has some good ideas, I will fix it myself or take it to my German Autokraft mechanic that works on our VWs and Opel.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    If you have not replaced the fuel-filter lately, it would not hurt to start with that. If you got a batch of bad fuel, the filter may be plugging up.

Then, hook your car up to VAGCOM to check your IQ (Injection Quality)

You can also use VAGCOM (with buddy driving) to monitor some of the critical sensors while the problem is happening.

You may find the MAF sensor is sending goofy signals to the computer.

Good luck.
  • carimaricarimari Posts: 8
    Hi..

My car is doing the same thing... stalling at varied times. The first time it happened was two weeks ago when I was at the drive in. I had my car on the entire time, I turned the car off and then turned it back on without a problem - went to move the car and it died. I thought it was the battery - but i could start the car with no problem - but then it would die. It did this for about 35 minutes and then I prayed all the way home and I got there. The next day my car was fine, two weeks later it does it again with my kids. It stalled in the intersection. I was able to get it going, but stalled again.. got it to Auto Zone - battery is fine, but the problem kept happening and the time between the stalls grew less and less - finally I had the car towed. Dealership can't find a problem- they had it for two and half days. I picked up the car this morning and someone else had brought their car in for the same issue. PLEASE anyone tell me what is wrong. I can't afford to keep renting a car.
  • Well I have brought the car to the dealership more than 5 times and they keep replacing things, still happening the same. Nobody knows what is going on. Mine is under warranty but still it is very scary!!!!! I wish I could help you but this is something very mysterious. Just so you know it is not the battery, not the ignition switch, not the gas pump, not the battery cables. Do not pay for any of these repairs. The dealership has driven my car for 100 to 200 miles and it has happened the same to them while test driving it (3 times) and still they did not solve the problem. I could only tell you to sell the car!
    EVERYONE that has had this problem needs to call Volkswagen Customer Care Center. I have just reported this as an issue and the more people that let me know they are not alone - they will take a closer look *fingers crossed* 1-800-822-8987

My Case Number is #120386129.

Please let me know if you find out anything.

FYI Someone nice replied to me and said they had the same issue and then to the car went to a non-dealer mechanic and they found the problem to be: It was an ignition module that plugs in behind the ignition switch. It is located in the steering column and is about a hundred buck to have it done including the part.
  • I have a case opened since March, my case even reached the EXECUTIVE LEVEL! And the only option they give me is to trade it in which I am going to do, for another make, I am not buying any other VW EVER in my life!
    Quick Question - can you tell me what dealership - city and state you have had your car at.. I would like my VW dealer to contact yours VW dealer, if possible. My car is out of warranty and the service guy was asking about my battery (which is fully charged).

Thanks!
  • laurafr13laurafr13 Posts: 1
    Did you find a solution to your problem? My friend's 2012 Jetta is doing the same thing and she has taken it to 2 dealers now and they haven't been able to diagnose the problem yet.
  • carinq1carinq1 Posts: 1
    Please share this fix with your dealer or anyone who has this problem. It is a SOFTWARE UPDATE that will fix the stall issue.

My story:
    I purchased a 2011 VW Jetta SE manual (gas not diesel) in July 2011. Up until May 2014 I didn't have any issues. It began to sputter and rev the rpm's by itself and would eventually stall completely. This happened numerous times on the highway, pulling into a parking space, cruising at around 30 mph. I could feel it before it happened. The car would shudder and I would glance down at the speedometer and it would go down to 0 on RPM's and MPH. Luckily each time I would just throw it into neutral and be able to start the car back up without freaking out and hitting another car.

After 5 different trips to the dealer the issue was finally solved.

After $700 of extended warranty visits ($100/visit) and not necessary repairs (camshaft sensor, oil change, throttle valve cleaning, fuel injection service) the car was fixed.

The final fix was a software update. Yes, a software update. Nothing had to be changed on my car and no repairs of parts were needed. This relay went on for 2 months. All the while getting multiple loaner cars, missing work, stalling on the highway and putting myself and others lives at risk.

The dealer finally called VW Technical Assistance and they sent them a software update tor remedy the stall issue. This is only after having myself call VW Customer Care because my car was not getting fixed.