Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Honda Civic

2»

Comments

• drivefundrivefun Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    Sorry to hear that it has not been a 'perfect ride' for you. I'd be interested to know if it's recurring. I too am a new owner of a 2013 Civic (barely 2 weeks), and would like as much feedback on the car before my factory warranty runs out.

Thanks for posting demianwulf!
  • mcdonielsmcdoniels Posts: 1
    I would like everyone to know how American Honda handled the so-called bumper-to-bumper warranty on our brand new vehicle. Here is a chronology: 04/05/13 purchased new Honda Civic. 05/02/13 started hearing a bad grinding sound - obviously brakes. 05/03/13 vehicle taken to Chapman Honda, Tucson, AZ, to diagnose problem. Vehicle kept overnight. Got a call mid morning on 05/04/13 saying nothing wrong with vehicle. During this call we asked the person calling from the service department to please go back and test drive it again because there is something very wrong with vehice. A few hours later we were told that 3 people took the car for a drive and found no problem. We picked the vehicle up from dealer just before closing on 05/04/13. We drove maybe 3-4 miles and the car exhibited the same problem, but it was too late to take it back because the dealer had closed. The car was taken back to the dealer this week and the service manager went on test drive - didn't get out of parking lot when he heard the noise. Car left with the service department and a few hours later got a call that it was some odd problem with the brake pads (metal versus something else) and that American Honda Technical Support had been contacted and they advised to replace the front pads and resurface the front rotators. They refused to replace rotators. We called American Honda and made the complaint that we did not buy a brand new car only to have the rotators resurfaced, pointing out that we will pay the price sooner now when the rotators cannot be resurfaced down the road because the rotators had been turned the maximum time. Sometime down the road we will bear the expense to replace the rotators sooner than a vehicle that did not have them resurfaced at 3 1/2 weeks old. Who would want a brand new car with resurfaced rotators? James (he refused to provide his last name) from American Honda called back to advise that American Honda refused to replace the rotators. PLEASE TELL ME IF THERE IS ANYONE THAT WOULD BE OKAY WITH WHAT AMERICAN HONDA IS DOING? P.S. Our car is still at the service department.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Man, HondA replaces transmissions 50,000 miles out of warranty. Unless you drove at Daytona speedway,Honda should give you new rotors.
  • suv800suv800 Posts: 40
    Any warranty service done at a dealer for over 24 hours, the dealer has to have a free loaner for you to drive until your vehicle is fixed. That's Honda's service policy.
    edited June 2013
    Having put 2,700 plus miles I now have a little more to add

Suggested Improvements:
    • When I turn on my headlights, the dashboard display dims a lot. Honda needs to fix this since it becomes hard to read the display at night.
    • Expand the pass-through area from trunk to back seat for greater utility.
    • Remove auto traction control. This is really annoying to have to turn it off every time I drive, it's an unnecessary gas drain most of the time
    • Noticeable amount of blind spot, with several close calls. I'd strongly suggest some form of early warning detection of rear approaching cars like what the Mazda CX-5 Touring has, with light chime and orange flashing indicator when it detects a vehicle in your blind spot area.
    • Include 6 speed. Several times when I drive uphill, my Civic holds on to a lower gear and fails to up-shift unless I flow my accelerator over 4,000 rpm for several seconds. This is frustrating since it compromise the fuel efficiency of the car.
    • Improve pickup of the car, it is relatively unresponsive when I put my foot to the gas pedal.
    • It's such a sporty looking car, and will do well with some form of exterior LED lighting. Honda's Korean competitor, Hyundai, adorn their vehicles lavishly with exterior and interior LED lighting at a lower price point.
    I average between 31 and 32 mpg, with 34.5 at the high end. I enjoy the relatively quite ride, The simple glove compartment is a plus, since it allows me to easily replace the cabin air filter. Also, I did not experienced any breaking issues as previous posts indicated. Except for the above points, I'm generally content with my 2013 Civic.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    The dashboard dimming is an issue on many cars. Is there a way to increase the dash light intensity?

Re auto traction control... how is it a drain on gas unless it's engaged? On cars I've owned with traction control, it's only engaged in extreme conditions, e.g. occasionally in wintertime if I give too much throttle on an icy road.
    edited June 2013
    Looking in the owner's manual there's a brightness control knob. The parking lights must be turned on and the ignition should be set to on '||' before using the brightness control knob to adjust the panel brightness. This resolves the issue.

Regarding my comments: "Remove auto traction control. This is really annoying to have to turn it off every time I drive, it's an unnecessary gas drain most of the time"

Don't get me wrong. I like traction control, I'd rather it default to 'off', instead of 'on'. I log all my miles and gas intake. When I was unaware the default was set to 'on', I average between 29 and just under 31 mpg. When I started turning it off, I average between 31 to 32 mpg driving the same route to work.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    edited June 2013
    Good luck getting ANY automaker to turn off the ESC/traction control by default! They're there as a safety feature, which most people (including me) like to have on most if not all the time. I doubt I'd be able to engage ESC/traction the instant I need it. I have two cars currently with traction control and one of them also has ESC. ESC/traction has never engaged in the latter car, a Sonata, while I've been driving it. And the traction control on the other car, an Elantra, engages very rarely, e.g. if I give too much throttle on a slippery road.

If you're losing fuel economy due to traction control/ESC being turned on, IMO you should examine how you're driving the car as it should not engage under normal conditions.
  • jessgerjessger Posts: 1
    Hi, when I google the web, I saw 2012 civic si has this issue, and honda dealer told me that 1 qt per 1000 miles is normal which surprise me, just wonder anyone experience or hear this issue in 2013 civic or accord?

Thanks,

Jess
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 227
    edited July 2013
    Man, HondA replaces transmissions 50,000 miles out of warranty. Unless you drove at Daytona speedway,Honda should give you new rotors.

I would have normally just read these blogs (I'm usually on the accord blog) and not said anything, but when I read the 50k miles out of warranty all I can say is: REALLY? REALLY? Then why did they have to have class action suits against them to fix faulty transmissions? They didn't fix them "out of warranty", but extended the warranty to 100k miles as a result of the class action suits. The replacement transmissions (I had three of them in my accord) get 3/36 warranties.

FWIW - a guy in Huntsville, AL, had a new odyssey with a bad transmission (very common in the odyssey's too). He took it in with just a few thousand miles on it and they put a rebuilt transmission in it. He was so angry that he had his own website on the issue for awhile. I agree with you, I would not want the rotors turned. Typically, you can only turn them (the new, cheaper ones) once before having to replace them. That has just happened on your civic.
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 227
    Hi, when I google the web, I saw 2012 civic si has this issue, and honda dealer told me that 1 qt per 1000 miles is normal which surprise me, just wonder anyone experience or hear this issue in 2013 civic or accord?

Consumer Reports just had an article about new cars consuming large amounts of oil. They seem to think it's the synthetic 0-20 that is the common factor between all the oil consumers. IDK what your civic uses, but if it's 0-20 synthetic that could be your problem.
  • I've got a 2010 Civic lx with the stock 16" steel rims and hubcaps. Now that the original set of tires is due to be replaced I'm thinking of buying off craigslist a set of Civic 17" allow rims or 16" alloy rims. My biggist gripe with the Civic is the road noise.

Does anyone know if the 17" rim would make the road noise more or less pronounced? Do you think the extra inch provides much? 16" alloy seem like purely a visual upgrade, which is ok, I just want to hear if anyone thinks the 17" rim is worth the upgrade and would it quiet down the ride?

thanks for the feedback
  • honda told you one quart of oil for every 1,000 miles is normal? :confuse:

so, if you drive 4,000 without adding oil, the engine would run dry of oil?

no way is that normal. I don't know a car on the road, that's built today that burns oil when it's running correctly.
  • My new EXL is just 4 days old and we just took a trip over the mountains and back - my mpg just under 35 miles to the gallon. Nice pleasant ride - happy with my purchase so far. :) :) :)
  • magnumramonemagnumramone Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Hi,
    My civic takes 205/55R16, but I got a great deal on brand new 225/60R16. Will this work, can it work, how can it work?
    Thanks everyone!!
    edited October 2013
    I have my EX since February, it stated with 34+ mpg with an initial road trip, then stayed between 30 and 32 for my daily commute to and fro work. During the rainy days, it's about 29 mpg. And I check my tire pressure every other week.

Unless you plan to have people tailgate you, don't count on getting 34 mpg for the long haul. You'll be lucky if it stays over 30.

I feel the 2013 Civic's engine is not as fuel efficient as Honda claims to be. The body probably needs to loose a few more pounds or the engine move to a variable timing gear like the Corolla. I continue to favor 2013 Civic's design over 2014 Corolla's though.

Before my next purchase, I'll probably do a lease, and determine if the mpg continues to languish, I'll most likely switch to the Corolla. Sorry, by $$$ matters to me, not to mention Corollas come in more competitively priced than the Civic; and I'm open to other options with reduced list price and increase mpg.
2»