Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 F 150 Electric Power Steering Issues

2»

Comments

• temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    What has become of your EPAS problem?
  • They have replaced the EPAS a total of three times. The truck has been out of service over 3 weeks. The EPAS will be tight and pop free for 3 to 5 days and then loosen up and start popping again all at once. Ford is aware of the problem, we are not alone. However, they do not consider it a safety issue and therefor are not overly concerned. It currently meets lemon law requirements here, but Ford will not voluntarily buy it back. I can sue, live with it, or get rid of it. I am looking to unload it. It is a verified problem, but the dealer here has no idea how to fix it and neither does Ford. They just want to change the EPAS again. The dealer here has been good to work with, but the Ford regional manager that has been on my case is awful. Time for me to move on.......
  • I own a 2012 F150 with 2,800 miles, and I have had the same "clunk" in my steering on warm days. I video taped a noise coming from the steering box while the truck was parked and cold. If you go to YouTube and search for "2012 F150 steering noise" it will come up. Here is something interesting. After a 400 mi. drive in 90 degree weather, I parked and let it cool down a little, opened the hood, grabbed the upper end of the steering shaft and was able to re-create the "pop" by pulling laterally on the shaft. It felt like there was movement at the bushing/collar at the firewall. With milder weather at home, I have not been able to re-create this popping. I am confident that there will be a fix for this.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    Thank you for the posting. You have gone further than any of us in identifying the problem. The video was very helpful. When I talk with my dealer, I can show him the youtube video. As you can see from the postings of brtruck, he has tried everything. He has found a mechanic who has really tried to find a repair. Unlike his experience, the dealer here in Nashville "blew me off." He said that I was not used to electric power steering. I told him that was not the case at all; that it had nothing to do with the feel of epas. As you can see from brtruck, they don't know how to repair it. By the way, my truck is a 2011 with 13,000 miles.
2»