Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Go to fitzmall or carsdirect and check their prices, then ask dealers in your area to match or beat those prices. You should be able to easily pay at least $2000 below invoice including rebate, and don't worry, the dealer is still making a profit. The invoice prices you see here are NOT what the dealer actually pays for the car. And for what it's worth dealer holdback calculation excludes the destination charge.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Well said. The invoice price (less only holdback) is not the dealers' true cost of the car.

When we picked our Sonata early on Saturday, Feb. 24, the salesman told my brother they had already deliverd 70 Sonatas that month, prior to the weekend. Yes, they are a high volume dealer (and beat Fitmall price by about $800) but they would not stay in business if they were only grossing about $5-600 per car, unless they got several hundred per car in incentives.

Maybe invoice meant something 20 or 30 years ago, but I don't think it's worth the paper it's printed on today. If it were, why would so many dealers volunteer to show shoppers the invoice? Invoice seems to have become another bargaining chip in the sales process.

Our deal was $1900 under invoice before receiving $2500 in rebates.
  • nhowlnhowl Member Posts: 6
    I've seen several times in these forums that we should be concerned about the dealer making a "fair" profit. The dealers and sales people (for the most part, but not all) are experts in ripping people off. They can look out for their own interest.

When buying a new car, you should try to get the lowest possible price - even if it means a loss to a dealer. I doubt he is going to sell it unless it makes sense financially for him. No one is forcing him to sell.

Invoice means nothing at the moment on Santa Fe's. Instead of offering a larger rebate to the consumers, I suspect Hyundai is giving it the dealers instead some kind of bonus. These low prices hopefully will help make up some of the 30% depreciation that your new Santa Fe will experience when the 08's come out.
  • tuggerstuggers Member Posts: 52
    I've been debating buying June 29th vs waiting to see what the new incentives are on July 3rd. By then we are 60 days away from the '08's.

Any opinions or guesses?

Also, does anyone have info or a link to what new stuff will be available on the '08's?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    If you wait long enough there will always be a better car or a better deal. The only thing I've heard is that GPS navigation will be an option on the '08s though not necessarily at the beginning of production.
    The color, options and model selection are better now than they will be in coming weeks, specially with the Limited which sells better the the others. Rebates will possibly increase slightly. My choice would be to buy now if you can find what you want at the price your willing to pay.

In my opinion the Santa Fe is a terrific value for the money and is highly rated by most buyers. You won't be disapointed. msn auto reviewers are rating it 9.6 of 10. That's well above the Rav and crv ratings.

I don't know what changes will be coming on the new models, however Hyundai is quick to make changes that customers are asking for and to remedy problems as they are discovered (ie: the dome light). Hopefully they will offer a better and more complete towing option and make it available as a stand alone option. They listen to their customers.

In essence, if you like what you see buy it. Wait for the new model if your looking for more bells and whistles, I don't expect many cosmetic changes.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I purchased a SF on Saturday evening and upon driving home 5 miles the check engine light came on. I took it into the dealer and they kept the SF and called me today. They told me its the only SF they ever had with an internal short and that i could pick out any vehicle on the lot and they would make it up to me. I picked a $21,500 MSRP Sonata which they promptly discounted to $15,500 OTD...IM HAPPY....I would have picked a second SF but their color selection was depleted from the sales going on. Have fun with your SF's....
  • ramblinwreck1ramblinwreck1 Member Posts: 6
    Please help me sort out some terms.

Destination Fee. I see this on the Edmunds site in the INVOICE column, so I assume it is a legit cost of getting the car to the dealership or something there about.

Dealer Fee. I see in a post above a $499 "Dealer Fee". Is this releated to anything or just a way the dealer tries to make money off of me

Dealer Holdback. I have seen that the is 2% of invoice, but don't quite understand how the mechanics of it works. I believe that the dealer gets this from Hyndai, right? And this is the amount "under invoice" that most people say the dealer breaks even at.

In any case, I am looking for a FWD SE with option 34 and C7. Edmunds says invoice is $25,910. I have already collected internet "offers" of $24,232, $24,499, and $24,556 ... so if this is reallyl the deal with no add on, it looks like I am alredy into their holdback.

Thanks for the input,

Wrek
  • dashbbdashbb Member Posts: 119
    WOW! very impressive! Congratulations!
    Discounted $5,574 off MSRP and 4.9% financing is truly incredible.
    $24,232, $24,499 and $24,556 are all too high. Check out several internet sites, including Fitzmall, TowneHyundai & Carsdirect.com. You can easily do $2600+ BELOW factory invoice. With balloon financing, some have done even better. Good luck.
    http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/search.asp?lstMake=HYUNDAI
    Rec'd this tonight:

I have a vehicle for you! It is a Dark Cherry with Beige interior. The vehicle does have Leather seats, Sunroof, XM radio, and mats. The price is $24,176 and that price includes the $1,000 rebate and freight. If you are paying cash then you may handle you own tax and tags.
    This is a recep of the best my local dealer will do:

Santa Fe Limited 2WD ‘07

Premium Pkg (sunroof and leather)

XM

Car Mats & Cargo Tray

Mud Flaps

Wheel Locks

Destination Charge

Dark Cherry Red w/Beige Leather Interior

$24,582 (This includes the $1,000 rebate)

No dealer fees, actual price for tag and title, 7% sales tax

He is actually about $400 over the FitzMall price. Tried to hit him up for pinstripping but he said this is as far as they can go.

They also offered the 10yr/100,000 extended Hyundai warranty for $1204 but I am hoping to do better.

I'm leaning toward taking this deal on Monday. Opinions, feedback please.
    That's $750 under invoice. If it's equipped the way you want it, grab it. You could go back and forth forever trying to save another few hundred dollars but would it really be worth it? At some point it's best to just grab a good deal and start enjoying the car.
    That deal isn't great, but it's not bad. However, the extended warranty seems rather high.
    Well, I just found the 'checkbook' site and got a quote on the 10yr/100,000 mile HPP -0- deductible warranty for $759. Quite a savings over the $1204 my dealer told me was rock bottom!
  • ramblinwreck1ramblinwreck1 Member Posts: 6
    Not see it happening "easily", lol. Found a representative model on fitzmall for 23,785, which is $2125 below invoice (w/ rebate). Have a quote from a local for $24,170. Oddly enough, carsdirect was not that "competitive, @ 24,556.

Maybe since this is the "triple withching hours" (end of the month, end of the quarter, and '08 due out shortly), I can squeeze some water out of the turnip.

Thanks for the input,

Wreck
  • blue_lineblue_line Member Posts: 1
    I have been shopping for Santa fe Limited + Premium package+ 3rd row seat for last three weeks. I got a very good quote of 24010+TTL from Elgin Hyundai over the internet.
    I immediately went there to grab it but the manager refused to give it at that price saying there might have some miscommunication about the options.. even though every email we exchanged had the options I wanted listed specifically. I was very disappointed for the 3 hrs we wasted. The sales guy replied later that he miswrote the email he first sent to me and kept apolozising..

Anyways.. Finally I went to Gartner Hyundai in Aurora which is closer to my home and got it for 24800 +TTL. The initial quote he gave me was 24999. So, he came down only 200 but I knew it was a good price.. so I didn't haggle much..

Here is my package

Santa fe 2007 2WD Limited + Premium package + 3rd row =24800
    Paint, rust, leather , Spill protection = 599$
    10 yr/ 100,000 extended bumper to bumper warranty = 975$
    + Taxes and Title

OTD price was 28,300

Overall experience at gartner Hyundai was very very good
    That's why after the emails I ask them to fax me a signed quote that only requires my signature to make the deal. Then I take that into the dealership with me. I've had the
    'I made a mistake' story, too.

Glad you got your deal, almost, and got your car closer to home!

I think I'm going to go with the Ohio dealership on the 'checkbook' site that sells the 10/100,000 -0- deductible for $759. My local guy would not come off the $1200 figure.
  • cancuckcancuck Member Posts: 5
    The $1000 rebate is due to close July 2nd. What incentives can we expect July 3rd? Currently have been offered a deal on a awd 3.3 limited premium package of just a little under $27,500. I need to sell my vehicle first, therefor can't bank on the $1000 rebate. Am I going to be paying more or less come August?

Does anyone know whether the Sante Fe has automatic daylight running lights? As a Canadian I understand that they are a requirement.

Thanks in advance.
  • hibtonehibtone Member Posts: 8
    What is this 'checkbook' site that some of you are referring to? If it's something that can't be posted here would someone mind emailing me?
    http://www.checkbook.org/auto/ExtendedService.cfm

They list dealers who sell for $50, $100 or so over cost.
    Seems like a good deal.
    Thanks I'll look into that. Does the $759 policy that you are going to buy cover everything other than routine wear and tear, and can you get your work done at any shop, or only at Hyundai dealerships, etc?
    On the hyundaiusa.com website they updated the special offers page to extend the $1000 rebate through 7/9/07. After that I presume that they will either extend it again or offer a larger incentive package depending on inventory and sales.
    Thanks! I was hoping for maybe $1500 after the 3rd! Oh well!
    It's the genuine Hyundai Protection Plan, Platinum. It was described to me as the same bumper to bumper as the 5 yr/ 60,000 mile one that comes with the car. I imagine, except in unusual circumstances, it would require repair at the dealership.

There are less expensive plans that have per occurance deductibles.

Basically, this dealership has agreed to sell the extended warranty at $100 over cost (which gives you some idea of the mark-up).
  • nateinnatein Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just picked up a 07 Sante Fe AWD Limited w/ premium package for 27,400 after rebate and including all 'dealer fees'. We actually found some other dealers that were offering the same car for a little less, but the dealer we went with gave us $600 more for our trade-in than what Kelly Blue Book listed. Plus, they had exactly what my wife was looking for - ebony black with grey leather interior. After reading some of the other deals on here, I feel like we could have done better, but it is a sharp looking car, and my wife couldn't be happier driving it. Good luck to everyone else shopping around out there.
    Sounds like you and I made similar deals. We recently (5 weeks ago) bought our 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD with Premium Package, carpeted mats, and first aid kit (M.S.R.P. $29,880) for $27,000 after the rebate (no trade). We went with Steel Gray / Black leather. At the time, I thought it was a great deal (exactly at dealer invoice less the rebate) but since then I've learned that quite a few here are reporting buying Santa Fes for $1000 or more UNDER invoice. No matter - I still don't think that I got gypped and I couldn't be happier with my Santa Fe. It gets to the point where it's time to quit shopping and asking "Is this a good deal?" and just buy the car in order to start enjoying it. That's what we did and we have zero regrets. ;)
  • jbinphillyjbinphilly Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if they did away with the 0% for financing for 3 years? Appears to be gone from checking Hyundaiusa.com, but Edmunds still lists it as active through 7/2.
    If your satisified with your purchase and the price you paid, that's all that matters :). Enjoy your Santa Fe.
  • leed006leed006 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to all for the valuable information posted in this forum. After reading here for a week, I purchased a Santa Fe Limited with touring package in the Dallas, Texas area.

Santa Fe Limited (platium sage with beige)
    Touring package
    pinstripe
    Tinting
    trunk tray
    mudguard
    floor mats
    wheel locks

Sell price: $22500
    OTD price: $24131 (inc tax at 6.25%, $177.03 doc fee)
    No trade in, took the balloon financing deal.

Purchase experience:

At first, I was looking for a Limited with no addition packages. I submitted price quote requests to few local dealers and one at MSRP (LOL), one at $21799 and another at $21998. Based on the pricing information I read here, I offered dealer#1 $22800 and dealer#2 $22500 for the above package. Dealer#1 did not take it, but dealer#2 did. The funny thing is that both deals are of the same company. In fact, dealer#1 did not have the color combination that I wanted so they got the car from dealer#2's lot. I exchanged emails with the dealers for a week and made the first phone call Monday morning. I picked the car Monday night.
  • cancuckcancuck Member Posts: 5
    Please advise as to the MSRP and what size motor you got.

Thanks
    Information gathered from Edmunds.com

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
    Limited 4dr SUV w/XM (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

with options:
    Touring packages
    Carpeted floor mats ( 7-passenger)
    Carge Tray
    Front and rear mudguars

MSRP = $28,395
    Invoice = $26,680
    TMV = $27,483 - $1,000rebate = $26,483

I also got the following for free:
    Tinting
    wheel locks.

So my price is $5,895 below MSRP, or $4,180 below invoice.

There is a cargo net too. I assume it comes with all Santa Fe.
    Sorry. I meant dealer#2 got the car from dealer#1's lot.
    Did the dealer tell you how they were able to sell you the car for $4180 under invoice? These deals still amaze me.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    "Did the dealer tell you how they were able to sell you the car for $4180 under invoice? These deals still amaze me."

The common thread in all of these "deals" is that the buyer is taking some sort of balloon financing arranged by the dealer. In essence, the dealer is getting a huge commission/kickback on the financing that more than covers the "loss" from selling the vehicle below cost.
    Is this something that's being underwritten by Hyundai or is it strictly through independent lenders? Any details on how it works? Thanks.
    As I indicated on my original post, I did take the balloon financing deal so that I get get the $1550 rebate, in addition to the $1,000 rebate. There is no pre-payment penalty. I will pay it off in full after the first 30 days. The dealer actually asked me to contact them and refinance through them for a lower rate.

To me, it is great deal to pay one month of interest, and get $1,550 back.
    I don't have the paper work with me right now. If I miss some details, other please add.

If you take the balloon financing from Hyundai, you can take an additional $1,550 rebate. I believe the offer expires at the end of the month.

How it works (at least for me case)

OTD price = $24, 131
    Interest rate = 9.25%
    I think there are 30 or 36 payments of $455 each, then one last payment (the balloon?) of $11000. The interest for the first month is about $180.

If I stay with the loan to the end, my total interest will be over $6,600.

The key is that there is no prepayment penalty. The dealer told me to call Hyundai about 20 days after the purchase and tell them that I want to pay off the loan. So if you plan to pay for your Santa Fe with cash, then pay if off after the first month. Otherwise, refinance it with another bank. The dealer told me to refinance with them (or the banks that they work with) so that they can take another commision. The current rate is 5.8% to 6.0%.
    Interesting - thanks for the info. When I bought mine last month my dealer didn't mention this as an option. I wonder if it's available only in certain markets? I don't see anything about it on Hyundai's website, either.
    I learned about the balloon thingy from this forum. :shades:
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    I bought my Ltd 2WD on 6/10 on the balloon deal and started the refinance process today with my credit union. I called Hyundai today for the payoff, quoted thru 7/19, and my cost interest-wise to go this option is about $228. However, my payoff will get to Hyundai much sooner than 7/19 so I'll get some of that back in the end. I figure I'll end up having spent about $150 to get the extra balloon rebate of $1550, so I'll net $1,400. Not bad for just a few hours of time with extra paperwork, phone calls, etc.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

If you take a discounted rate loan from Hyundai, you are not eligible to get the $1,000 rebate. If you take the balloon loan, you can get $1,000 rebate, plus the $1,550 rebates. With $2,550 in your pocket, you can refinance with any bank after 30 days. Personally, I think this is the best way to go. Hopefully both rebates will still be available next month so that future buys will be benefitted.

Happy shopping.
    Hyundai discounted loan rate offers can vary from month to month just like other incentives.

Sometimes they offer a rebate OR a discounted loan rate. Sometimes offer a rebate AND a discounted loan rate. And sometimes they offer a rebate AND a discounted loan rate AND an exta rebate for financing with HMFC.

Our February Sonata deal included $1K rebate plus $1K rebate for HMFC financing at 5.9% for 60 months; 48 months would have been 4.9% and 36 months would have been 3.9%. The 48 month & 36 month financing would have also included the extra $1K financing rebate. (5.9 was a below market rate)

The rebates/incentives vary from month to month and model to model. A buyer has to look for the incentives that are available at the time he is ready to buy.
  • doublewin2003doublewin2003 Member Posts: 2
    any one can explain that balloon financing? The dealer I went go totally has no idea of that. the salesman really put me down.
    any one can give detail on that? it is for buying or leasing. the $1550 rebate is also good for sonata? and How?
    Thanks
    I found this post on the Santa Fe leasing forum. It was posted by Car_Man who is an authority on leasing information: Car_man, "Hyundai Santa Fe: Lease Questions" #52, 14 Jun 2007 3:41 am

It seems there is a $2000 rebate when you do a balloon note with HMFC, instead of $1550 as noted in previous discussions!

Yes, this rebate is also good on a 2007 Sonata.
    I thought with it being the end of the month, quarter, etc,
    they would be dialing for dollars today, but I haven't heard anything from him.

Maybe he doesn't need to sell another one this month. Hard to believe since all the times I've been to the dealership I've only seen one other customer there!
    Why not just go there, pick out your Santa Fe of choice, and make them an offer? You already have plenty of numbers to work with - now you need only go and get 'er done! Then you can begin to enjoy your new Santa Fe.
    Different dealers have different action. When my brother picked up our Sonata on Saturday2/24 at about 1:30, he said the show room was mobbed, all the tables were filled with buying customers. When I drove a friend to pick up his Azera on Wednesday, April 25 there were about a dozen other customers in the show room at 11:30. I thought that was pretty impressive, that many people on a mid-week morning.
  • jbinphillyjbinphilly Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased an SE FWD w/Premium Package for 1K under invoice with 0% 36 month financing in Philadelphia. It's white pearl which looks great with tinted windows. Probably could have haggled a little more, but thought it wasn't too bad based on what I've seen on this board. Also, did the deal over the phone with the sales manager - avoiding the "I'll need to check with my manager" line and long waits at the dealer.

Dealer was offering 2k under invoice or 1k plus 0% financing. I didn't ask about the balloon financing discount, but one could get more than 2k off by doing it.

PS - This board is great!! So much easier to negotiate when you know what a fair price is. Thanks to all.
    Congrats on your new Santa Fe! ;) You're going to love it. BTW, what color interior?