Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jiminyintxjiminyintx Member Posts: 49
    madonkey,
    I am also in the market for a 2007 Santa Fe and have been reading this forum daily. From what I can see, $25,653 +TTL is pretty good. That is 85% of MSRP. Most of the posted prices at Fitmall.com are about 84% of MSRP. I am hoping to shoot for that here in Texas. I would love to know if anyone has gotten a better deal than that.

Just curious,oregonmastiff, what was the MSRP on your Santa Fe? Divide your final price (before TTL) by MSRP for percentage.
    Forgive the typo. I meant Fitzmall.com
  • oregonmastifforegonmastiff Member Posts: 14
    MSRP was$30,230, which inlcudes the 670 inland freight = 82% of MSRP, plus free all weather floor mats and cargo tray.
    A great deal indeed! I've been thinking about this alot....if someone advises you that a certain amount, dollar-wise, under dealer invoice is a great deal, you are cutting yourself short if it is a vehicle loaded with options. Your percentage of savings decreases as you load on the options. That is why I was asking in an earlier post what percentage folks were getting off MSRP. I know MSRP is a sort of made up price, BUT at least it is a consistent price to begin bargaining with. Final dealer invoice is too abstract for me, as we never truly know what that is!

FYI, this is all new to me and I am truly in the learning process. My husband and I are buying a new Santa Fe for me, and I am the one doing all the homework to make sure we get the best deal. I just may be the one doing the talking at the bargaining table (for a change). Seeing that oregonmastiff got 82% off MSRP, I see I need to set my sights higher!
  • missmarie1missmarie1 Member Posts: 2
    Well I finally did it! I purchased the 2007 Limited FWD without any of the extra options in the Powder White Pearl with the Black Leather and got it for $25,500 after the $1500 rebate (total also includes a lofty Texas sales tax of $1485). I was going to try to push for more off, but I found out from several dealers there was only about 3 left in Texas in the colors I wanted, so I went ahead and took the dive. All in all it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought my first car buying experience would be and hopefully I didn't let them sucker me :)
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Congrats, missmarie1! You got a good deal and you're going to love your new Santa Fe. It's a great SUV. Have fun with it!
  • fatemifatemi Member Posts: 15
    Should I bite the bullet or push for more?

New 2007 Santa Fe Limited FWD (no packages, just floor carpets) ebony black outside, beige inside

Price: $22,948 + tax/title/registration (includes rebates) => comes out to about $24,750 out-the-door

I could push for more but there is no other 07 santa fe left in my area that is FWD, Ltd, and black/beige combo without any optional pacakages. I could switch to a different color combo but black/beige is my preference, unless this deal is a huge rip off
    The dealer will be making good coin from the deal you laid out. Dealer invoice with destination charges will be about 25,049.
    Now Minus
    Hold-back to dealer of roughly $751
    Customer Rebate $1000
    Big Duh (if financing) $500
    Fianncial resrve to Dealer if you finance $290
    Any regional incentives to Dealer (in NW its $500)
    Then how much volume does your deal do? if a lot, tell them they can $500 from the stair-step. if they do a lot, they will be making at least $600per car, mayybe more. This is where you want them to make there money. don't let them tell you they are "loosing money" when they sell the car. they make it up in volume. no gives away cars.

If yoou can't live without Black and Beige, then go for it. but if it were me, I would press say I am willing to pay$22 even and be prepared to walk. BTW--work directly with the GM and tell him/her that you are willing for them to make $500.
  • csi007csi007 Member Posts: 26
    We paid less than 25k out the door for a Limited with no trade and no down payment etc with the Premium touring option with mud flaps, 7 seat floor mats, wheel locks and a few other things. The Premium touring package is worth over 2 grand I believe so the price you quoted does not appear to be that good.
    The best way for you to decide whether or not you're getting a good deal is to compare your purchase price with the dealer invoice price, less any rebates and incentives. You don't say whether or not the car has XM so here are the numbers both ways; all numbers assume that the car has carpeted mats:

Santa Fe Limited FWD with XM:
    - M.S.R.P. = $26,910
    - Invoice = $25,311

Santa Fe Limited w/o XM:
    - M.S.R.P. = $26,710
    - Invoice = $25,125

I'd start by offering $1500 LESS THAN the applicable invoice number, less all applicable rebates. On an XM-equipped car, that would put you at $23,811 LESS the $1000 rebate or $22,811; if you took Hyundai's financing, you'd be down to $22,311 + tax and license. If they turned down that offer but came back at $500 higher, I'd probably grab it and not look back, assuming that the car is equipped the way you want it. Even at $24,311 LESS REBATE(s),it's a good deal for both you and the dealer. (After all, contrary to what some folks here seem to believe the dealer is entitled to make some money on the deal.)

FWIW, I recently paid exact invoice LESS the $1000 rebate (the only rebate I was entitled to at the time) on my Limited AWD with Premium Package and I feel just fine about the deal. Had I held out and "worked" the dealer harder, I may have shaved off another few hundred but I chose not to. The SF I bought had just come off the truck that same day so it had zero miles on it; it was also configured exactly as I wanted it, colors and all. It just wasn't worth all the hassle of trying to save a few more bucks and risking having someone else buy the car during the process.
  • mindaugasmindaugas Member Posts: 10
    Looks like everyone consider a Limited version of SF. I just bought 2007 SF SE FWD with XM radio (no other option packages except floor mats). I took advantage of special HMFC financing and my final sales price was $21050 before TTL.
    Incredible car ! Nicely build , top performer on a road, amazing warranty . If you want to spend your hard-earned dollar on a nice SUV, you don't have to buy a premium-priced Lexus . That's for sure! It would be nice to have leather seats or climate control but I can live without that.
    Good luck everyone ! ;)
    Thanks for all of your responses. To answer some questions, the car does not have XM.

We did some more haggling tonight and got the price down to:

$22,500 (includes $1000 cash rebate and $500 HMFC financing) => $24,000 out-the-door

We also got several accessories "at no extra charge" including:

Wheel locks, cargo tray, carpeted floor mats, and first aid kit

I honestly think I can go even lower if start taking this deal to another dealership, but I'm probably going to just grab it before someone else does!

As a sidenote, the dealer also offered a 2007 Limited FWD Veracruz black outside beige inside w/ no options for 29k out-the-door. This is about $3500 below invoice. What do you guys feel about this deal?
    It's impossible for anyone here to assess an "out the door" number without knowing your state's sales tax rate and registration fee as well as how much your number reflects in rebates. Do us a favor - if you want opinions on pricing PLEASE give us the purchase price before taxes, license, and rebates; that's the only number we can objectively evaluate.
    Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your desire to help,

This is for the Hyundai Veracruz Limited FWD no options:

Vehicle sales price (includes all dealer fees): $29,000
    (minus) HMFC Rebate: $500
    (minus) Additional financing rebate: $1,500
    Tax, Title, and Registration: $2,000
    Approximate final price: $29,000

As you can see the rebates cancel out the taxes/licenses

Edmunds TMV: $31,500
    Edmunds Invoice: $30,660
    Edmunds MSRP: $32,995
    Dealer quote before rebate: $29,000

How does this look?
    The Veracruz is hot and there aren't a lot of them sitting in dealer inventories. IMO a Veracruz Limited at $1660 under invoice LESS REBATES is a very sweet deal. If you like the Veracruz (there's plenty about it to like), if you can utilize the benefits it offers over the Santa Fe, and if the one you're looking at is configured to your liking, I'd grab it. You'll have a terrific SUV at a great price. Suggestion: The numbers you quoted don't include carpeted mats; if indeed the car doesn't have them, I'd try to coax the dealer into ordering a set and throwing them into the deal for you. Good luck! ;)
  • girlnextdoorgirlnextdoor Member Posts: 5
    I think I got a pretty good deal in PA that I wanted to share with everyone.

Price: $26,800
    Tax: $1800
    Fees: $125

This was a silver limited santa fe with all wheel drive,touring and premium package and price included the cargo tray, mud flaps, xm radio and floor mats...
  • xsoccerguyxsoccerguy Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for some assistance on a purchase of a new 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD with option 26. I have received the following:

MSRP Dealer Invoice
    $27,945.00 $26,239.00

Destination Charge $670.00 $670.00
    Optional Equipment $950.00 $865.00

SubTotal $29,565.00 $27,774.00

Minnesota Tax 7%

Hyundai Rebate $1,000
    Hyundai Financing 3.9% 60 months or $1,000 Off

One dealer will double the rebate, but that is the extent of the discounting. Any thoughts?

I am new car shopping in Minnesota.

Two last questions, one dealer has a loaner model (exact car I am looking for)with 5,000 miles on it; any thoughts on how much they should discount it; also would you normally still get the rebates in addiiton to the discount?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    A few thoughts for you...

I suggest using the invoice price as the reference point and paring your offer down from there. I say this because rebates vary from region to region, whether or not Hyundai financing is taken, etc. and trying to compare net amounts can get very cloudy very easily.

Regardless of the dealer's sales volume (and resulting factory incentives), you should be able to buy the car for somewhere between $500 and $1000 under invoice, LESS rebates. If they're a low - moderate volume dealer, $500 under invoice may be the best you'll do but in such case it's still a deal you could take and feel good about.

Given that, I suggest offering $26,250 LESS rebates, plus tax and license. If you can end up buying the car for between $26,250 and $27,250 (again, LESS rebates), go for it.

From the numbers you posted, it looks as though the Santa Fe you're looking at has neither carpeted mats nor XM. If that's the case, I'd insist that the dealer order you a set of carpeted mats and somehow build them into the deal.

Regarding XM, I have it in my late production Limited AWD and I absolutely love it. I enjoy it in my Santa Fe MUCH more than I do in my Corvette; maybe because the Santa Fe's base audio system sounds so much better than the Corvette's "upgraded" Bose system. Anyway, my point is that if you have the option of going with an XM-equipped Santa Fe that is set up to your liking, go for it; you definitely won't regret it.

Depending on how long ago the Santa Fe that you're looking at was built, the front overhead lights may or may not illuminate when the front doors are opened. (They illuminate on later-production vehicles.) I suggest specifically checking to see if they come on in the car you're looking at. If they don't, you can request an update free of charge to you through the service department; you'll just need to have them order the parts and set up an appointment for installation.

Other than having XM, carpeted mats, and the all-important Hyundai first aid kit, my Santa Fe is equipped exactly like what you're looking at (Limited AWD). I bought it fresh off the truck and have had it for 3 months and around 3500 miles. It's a fantastic SUV that's beautifully-designed, well-built, and thoroughly enjoyable to drive. I like it every bit as much as the 2007 Volvo XC90 AWD it replaced. (The Volvo was a company vehicle; when I left the company I had to give back the Volvo!)

As for the dealer loaner, personally I'd stay away from it. To me it would be like buying a used car and I doubt that the savings would be enough to justify it.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your purchase.
  • zapdaddyzapdaddy Member Posts: 3
    Hello all -

Well, I thought I would throw my price in to give you guys an idea of what I paid. I am pretty pleased. Bought the vehicle on July 31:

2007 Santa Fe Limited FWD w/XM

MSRP: $27110 - only options on it were floor mats and the powder white pearl paint (which I highly recommend)

Invoice: $25493

Price paid: $23755 (includes $500 rebate for financing with Hyundai - received 60 mos. @ 5.0%, but my credit is really good - not everyone would be eligible)

Traded in my 2006 Saturn VUE with 36200 miles - Edmunds TMV $14248 - received $14800 on the trade. Very satisfied there.

Final drive-off (with 6.25% TX tax) was $26284.33 (which included $2100 neg. equity rolled in from the Saturn).

All in all, I think I made a pretty good deal. I have been very satisfied with the vehicle so far. I always try to see what vehicle an auto manufacturer models their vehicle after and the '07 Santa Fe reminds me of a poor man's VW Touareg. If you look at some of the angles, the blue lighting, the beige interior (which I HIGHLY recommend), etc., it seems to echo the Touareg in many ways, which is good in my book!

Oh, and if you are interested in getting the cargo tray (which I HIGHLY recommend), buy it outright from the parts dept. Hyundai charges $115 MSRP on the sticker - I bought it from parts for $65! :)
  • archuamuarchuamu Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    For following combination of Santa FE, what will be a best price deal?

Santa Fe 2007
    trim - SE or Limited FWD
    transmission - automatic
    package - touring + ultimate
    Have you bothered to read any of the previous posts in this thread? :confuse:
  • edwestedwest Member Posts: 1
    we got our slate blue fwd w/xm & ultimate package a few weeks ago and love it. (no 3rd row)
    the stereo system is quite impressive and the 7logic for dvd's is incredible. it only had 42 miles on it and the dark interior with the black faux wood finish looks great

msrp was $31,345 (extras were carpeted floor mats, first aide kit, pinstriping,door and fender guards)
    we got it for $26,500 and drove out for $28,400.

we are very pleased.

if you are near roundrock, tx, go to Classic they were great to work with and deal via email & phone.

gas mileage is slowly improving...21mpg overall.
  • atlguy2atlguy2 Member Posts: 6
    That sounds like a good deal...very similar to mine. I just got mine Saturday (8/11). Here are the details:

Model: 2007 Santa Fe Limited FWD w/XM
    Options: Premium Pkg (Sunroof), carpet mats, mudguards and first aid kit.

Price Paid: $24,600 OTD (includes $1500 incentives, a 7% tax, and a $400 Education Rebate). I don't have the paperwork on hand to give the full price details. FYI, if you graduated from school w/in 2 years or are in the military there are extra perks.

It was the easiest car purchase I've ever made thanks to this forum. I did everything via email and then phone. The actual purchase at the dealer took less than an hour once the price was finalized. FYI, I think there's a cap to how low internet sales people can go. You have to call them and say "if you can beat $XXXXX, I'll come down today and buy it.". I started my email threads with links to fitzmall.com vehicles and said "here's an example of a no-haggle price for the vehicle. I would think you could significantly beat this though.".

I was slated to get the powder pearl white (love it online) but I saw one on the lot that wasn't too clean and it looked like plain white and showed dirt too much. I've never been good about keeping cars clean so I opted for the natural khaki. It's a great color too, the website doesn't do it justice. I agree with you on the beige interior. I saw a grey leather interior and didn't like it at all...it reminded me of vinyl w/ plastic wood. Be sure to get Beige everyone.

Also, is this the cargo tray it comes with?

http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/Hyundai_All_New_Santa_Fe_Cargo_Tray_2_Row_S- eating.html

I might buy it. Will it let you access the grocery and first aid storage compartments underneath though? Just curious, I love those things.
    I forgot to mention I added the extended warranty for $1095 (making it around $25,700 OTD). I remember seeing posts in this forum where you could get it for less but couldn't get them to work. What kind of prices have people gotten at their dealer (not the special dealer/method listed in this forum)? I may have overpaid a little for it but I thought it was well worth it in the long run...I plan to keep this car for 10 years. That's how much I love it. :)
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    I also went looking for a PWP Hyundai and saw one on the lot and noticed how dirty it will be all the time. Down here in Florida it likes to rain often and it would be a losing battle. As I was looking around I spotted a Natural Khaki Santa Fe and just fell in love with the color, you don't see many cars this color and that was it. They found the Santa Fe I wanted at another dealer (Limited) and brought it over and it was a done deal.

Hey thanks for posting that link to check out Santa Fe parts I too think I will order that cargo mat for the back. Too much open space there now and also too light a color (beige) it's only asking for trouble. If you register there on that site you can get 11% off....
  • raiganraigan Member Posts: 9
    Hi Everyone -

Thought I'd share my pricing since this forum was such a help in closing my deal. It only had 4 miles on it and just arrived this weekend. I think I got a pretty good deal. Just came home from buying:

Platinum Sage (love the color!)
    Beige Interior (I had just read a couple of posters who loved the beige)
    FWD
    2007 Limited
    Premium Package (sunroof)
    Touring Package (3rd row seat)
    Floor mats
    Price : $24,340
    OTD: $25,250 (which included everything...t,t,l)

Thanks again to all who helped. I sold my BMW X5 to cut costs and avoid premium gas prices and I think I picked a winner in the SF.
    That's a fantastic deal!
  • raiganraigan Member Posts: 9
    Thanks! When the Fitzmall guy said he couldn't match the price, I knew I was onto something good. I also forgot to mention that it didn't include the $500 for financing with Hyundai (I went through my credit union which had a better interest rate) and that it also came with XM.

Looking forward to driving it tomorrow :)
  • oceang2oceang2 Member Posts: 40
    Congrats- You did a fantastic deal there. I've had mine for 1 month now, 2k miles later. I had a great deal but you did better. I wound up getting mine for 25,000 OTD but I didn't have the 3rd row. good luck with your car. You'll love it. The xm is really a pleasure.
    Fantastic Deal! What part of the country are you in? Is that just with the $1K incentive? Mind sharing your negotiation strategy?
  • drnick0007drnick0007 Member Posts: 3
    I just got the following offer. Is this a good offer or do you think I can get the car for cheaper?

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe SE with Premium Package
    Price (with rebates) - $21,600.00
    OTD Price - $23,400.00

Thanks in advance for the quick feedback!
  • spdztrspdztr Member Posts: 3
    I just got the following offer for a LTD with AWD and premium package:

MSRP $29,860
    Savings (before Rebate) 2,474
    - $1000 Rebate
    +$10 fees (temporary plates)
    = $26,396 OTD

Do you think I can do better than this?

Thanks!
    I bought an identically-equipped one 3 months ago and paid around $750 more. Still, you may be able to get another $800 or so off the price you were quoted. Even if not, though, if the car is equipped to your liking I suugest grabbing it and not looking back. The Santa Fe Limited AWD is a VERY sweet SUV.
  • knanukknanuk Member Posts: 1
    Have a AWD GLS ( canadian model) and can not get the fog lights to go on -- anyone have this problem?

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Hi, knanuk...

You might have better luck in one of our more general Santa Fe discussions, as this one is specifically for pricing.

2007 Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• psc180psc180 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I am looking to buy a 2007 Santa Fe Ltd AWD with the Touring Package (Option 31 - 3rd row only, no sun roof) in the NYC/Westchester Co. area.

Edmunds TMV says:

MSRP: $29,915
    Invoice: $28,125
    What Others are paying: $28,858 minus $1,000 rebate = $27,858

This is my first time buying a new car. I bought a used Honda Accord (V6) 7 years ago and will not be trading it in.

I did a test-drive of a SF AWD Ltd. a few weeks ago and a sales person (in Westchester Co., NY) simply quoted MSRP to me.

Yesterday, when I telephoned a sales person from a different dealership (in Rockland Co.) and told him I'd be coming in tomorrow (Saturday) or Sunday, he told me that:

"You can get that S.F. (Ltd, AWD, w/ Touring) for "26 and change" which includes the $1,000 rebate. And the MSRP on that car would be $29,000. That would not include motor vehicle, which is about $200, and taxes, which are 8.675% in your area, on $26,000."

I know that I have to find out the salesperson's exact number (and that "26 and change" is not specific enough). But assuming we use, say, $26,300, by my calculations, the 8.675% tax on $26,300 would be $2,281 (right?).

So, it would be $26,300 + $2,281 (tax) + $200 (motor vehicle) = $28,781.

So, here are my questions (forgive me . . . I'm a newbie at this):

Is $28,781 the "Out the door" number that people on this forum are using?

Also, if that is the OTD price, is it a good price? If not, what do you think is the best price I can get?

Should I negotiate down on the "26 and change price" or just say that "with taxes and fees, I'd like the OTD price to come in at about "X amount"? And what would that amount be (say, $27,000??)?

Does anyone know of a dealership they'd recommend that's within about 15 miles of Westchester County, N.Y.?

Also, if I plan to put down about $5,000 and finance the rest, any recommendations about terms and rates? What is Hyundai offering, generally, in terms of financing? Or should I finance through a bank?

Also, is the XM radio a standard feature on all Limiteds at this point (I remember reading that XM became standard sometime in the past few months) or do I need to check to see if I am being charged extra for that? (Salesperson told me it was standard.)

Has anyone ever gotten the dealer to throw in the floor mats (without paying the approx. $85 that they're listed for)?

2 final questions, though not related to price: A different salesperson (from the Raleigh, NC area) told me last week that the AWD automatically shuts off after the car reaches 35 MPH. Has anyone heard of that and is it true?

And, has anyone felt a slight vibration coming up through the bottom of the driver's seat while driving?

Thanks!
    This is what I posted teh otherh week...it should answer all of your questions. if not, leave me your tele and I will call you or you can email me....Oregonmastiff

First, I want to thank all previous posters, as I learned a ton, and that knowledge gave me tremendous bargaining power. so, again, thank you to all who have posted before.

Here is what I got and how I did it:

I just bought a 2007 Limited AWD with Touring Package (7-seat), XM, etc. No sunroof. more on sunroof below. Dealer Invoice was $28,540 (this includes $670 freight). I bought the car for $24,900 + free cargo and all-weather floor mats.This price does not include title and registration, which was another $218.

What I know for fact that can help you:
    -Northwest dealers seem to have a promotion of $500 cash back to the dealer from Hyundai. This is not the Big Duh or any other public rebate.
    -Buy at th end of the month!!!! Dealers are trying to make quota. My delaer needed to more cars and his volume incentive from Hyundai would go from $400 a car to $600 a car for the month.
    -Dealers get a "hold back" for roughly 3% from the factory , or for a Limited, roughly $900.
    When financing, the dealer gets "finance reserve", about $282.
    -Don't forget Big Duh $500 and the normal $1000 rebate to boot.
    -Dealers in the BIG CITY easily meet volume. Rural dealers will never make volume, and hence not be able to pass on the savings. Find the dealer just outside of the city who is close to making the next "stair step" in volume. and you will find one with patience.
    _ call the dealer and ask to speak with the GM. No one else!! Tell GM $3,600 under his invoice. Most will say get lost, but you will find one after a lot of call. Don't even waste your time walking in to the dealer or talking to the sales guys. Tell the GM this is the deal you can do and can it work for him/her. Be nice about it and hopefully you will strike gold.
    -Sunroof. On the model I have, I do not have the premium package. Had I gotten that, it would have only added the sunroof. The sunroof can be prurchased aftermarket. Aftermarket sunroofs can be better (or worse) depending on who does it. Better, meaning size and position of glass options that are not from Hyundai. and you may get it less that the stock sunroof.
    -Negotiate goodies, like all-weather mats, oil changes, yearly detailing, savings on tires from local vendors, etc. WORK IT!
    -and, if they don't have your color car, don't let them tell you it will cost more. Yes, thety don't make as much, but stick to your guns--and be polite.-
    -be careful what you sign in the closing!!
    -and again, deal with the GM!!! And, be professional and nice!!!

Financing: I follwed the directions of getting a zero percent credit card that was posted on this site. I got from wells fargo a zero percent for one year, no balance transfer fee. Wells fargo gave me $35,000 into my checking acct and I put that money in a money market. I paid cash for the car. make sure you PAY ATTENTION TO TH DETAILS ON THE ZERO % CARD!!!!!

As an aside, I love the car!! which we had a little better MPG, but the luxury drive feeling, stability, sound (or lack of noise), makes this car a great value. I just can not help feeling like I should get a snobby license plate that read "BST VALU".

Lastly, I was torn between the outback and the sante fe. see my post on the comparison. obviously, you know what I choose.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    psc180, Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ is probably 50 to 60 miles from you. Check their web site for internet specials.

Current Santa Fe price is $1800 below invoice. So, if they have the model you want and invoice is $28,125 they would charge $26,325 and that is the amount upon which you would pay sales tax. Your 8.675% sales tax would add $2283 for a sub-total of $26,608. Then they have a doc fee of $189 plus title & registration fees of $200 for a new sub total of $28,997. At the very end, the $1,000 rebate is applied for a total out the door of $27,997. (That is assuming that NY, like most states in the north east charge sales tax on the pre-rebate price; greedy so-and-so's charge you tax on the rebate.)

That "26 and change" the dealer told you would be "27 and change" for calculating sales tax.

Get exact figures including all dealer and state fees. (You didn't mention dealer doc fees and may find that it adds a few hundred bucks.) Floor mats from Towne would be at invoice--about $55 to $60.

Before taxes and fees you would be getting the car for $25,325 or $2800 under invoice.
  • nateman7ahcnateman7ahc Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

Wondered if anyone one out there could relay experiences with dealers in the Atlanta area. I've been in email contact with the internet salesperson at Rick Case Hyundai as they are the closest, but by no means am wed to them.

Any dealers treat you fairly, or really poorly? It's a shame that I feel I have to put "really" in front of poorly, as that's my expectation level of dealers in general.

Many thanks!
    Thanks, Oregonmastiff, for your response to my questions.

I was wondering... you mentioned that:

"I just bought a 2007 Limited AWD with Touring Package (7-seat), XM, etc. No sunroof. more on sunroof below. Dealer Invoice was $28,540 (this includes $670 freight). I bought the car for $24,900 + free cargo and all-weather floor mats.This price does not include title and registration, which was another $218."

Did you have to pay tax and if so, on what amount? So, if "out the door" price means after all taxes and fees, what was your final out the door price?

Also, what is the "Big Duh $500"? I have only been told of the $1,000 factory rebate and one sales person mentioned a $500 rebate if I finance through Hyundai (is that the "Big Duh")? He said the rate is 7.5% for 60 months. That does not sound like a very good rate, does it?

Your decision to take a loan from a 0% credit card and then pay cash sounds interesting. I think I'll look into that.

Also, when you say "buy at the end of the month," I assume you mean sometime within the last 2 or 3 days of the month, and that I should not buy this weekend (8/18-8/19), right?

By the way, if I do want to call or e-mail you directly, how do I do that without posting e-mail address or phone number on this board?

Also... I got a new offer that I'll put in my next post...

Thanks again.
    Thanks, bhmr59, for your response and doing those calculations for me.

Since my earlier post (referring to salesperson #1, from a Rockland Co. dealership), I got 2 different offers:

1) Salesperson #2 (from Westchester) told me that for a Limited AWD w/ Touring, he could take off the $1,000 rebate and another $500 if I finance it through Hyundai (at 7.5% for up to 60 months or 1% more for 72 months). Salesperson said that price would be $26,150 (that included the $1,000 rebate and the $500 financing rebate). He then added tax of "about $2100" (he did not tell me the tax rate) and $192.50 to transfer the plates (we have a 2nd, 1986 Taurus we are donating since it doesn't have any trade-in value) and that amount includes document fees. So, $26,150 + $2100 + 192 = $28,442.

2) Salesperson #3 (also from Westchester) told me that she did not have a LTD w/ AWD + Touring only, but she did have a LTD w/ AWD + Touring + Premium (sunroof) - - in a color I don't particularly like. When I told her that I did not want the Premium package, she told me she would give it to me but I wouldn't have to pay for it. So, she quoted me $26,819 (which includes the $1000 rebate) minus $865 (she said it was the "holdback" on the Premium Package) = $25,654.

So, $25,654 + tax of $2,173 (at rate of 8.375%) + DMV cost "it would be $250, at most" = $28,377.

When I asked if the financing was done after the tax and DMV was calculated, she said that her business manager would be the one to tell me the real amount of DMV charges and would be the one who would deal w/ me at "the end," to call the banks for financing. She said this offer was "only for this weekend."

Comparing these 2 offers, the second looks like a better deal, since I'd be getting a sun roof and paying less. On the other hand, the car is in a color I don't really care for (but is okay) and the offer is only for this weekend.

Another interesting factor... a new Hyundai dealership is opening up in a nearby town next Wednesday (that's when they get their cars) and the guy I spoke to said he was eager to get some business and said he would be "below invoice."

I'm thinking of waiting a bit, since everyone says buyers should wait to the "end of the month to buy." Should I put all this off for 1 week and buy the SF next weekend? Or lay some groundwork this weekend by going to these different dealerships and continuing to try to get the lowest price and make the actual deal next weekend?

Finally, does anyone know... if I want the dealer to order me a certain color and style of car to be test-driven and possibly bought by me, I don't have to pay anything before I actually drive it, do I? Or, if I do have to put down some sort of deposit, it should be refundable (in case I don't like how that particular car drives), right?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Good luck with wherever you buy and whatever equipment you settle upon.

I view the "this weekend only price" or "today only" is just a pressure tactic. If they can sell me a car today for $X, why can't they sell me the same car tomorrow for the same $X unless there is a manufacturers discount to either retail buyer or dealership that ends today?

Did you check the web site of the dealer I mentioned? Their price is the same no matter the time of the month. Apparently they sell enough cars (probably because of their pricing) that they don't have to worry about squeezing in a couple more sales at the end of the month in order to get the best factory to dealer bonuses. Buyer gets the same great deal no matter the day of the month.

I'm in CT, just north of Bridgeport. Bought a Sonata from Towne in Feb., a friend bought an Azera in April (and a used Sonata for his son in June), and a co-worker of his bought a Tuscon about 7 or 8 weeks ago.

All were excellent buying experiences, no hidden charges and no last minute F&I pressure to load up the price.

The trip from here to Towne is 100 miles each way but, to save $3,000 compared to the local dealer pricing, it was well worth it. And, of course, any Hyundai dealer will perform any requird warranty work and will also be happy to perform any routine service work (earn your money) you may wish to have done at a dealer.
  • yellowbug2yellowbug2 Member Posts: 2
    What would be a good price for a SE AWD with no opitions.
    $500 - $1000 under invoice, LESS rebates.
  • kitei4kitei4 Member Posts: 4
    I am just starting searching for this car. Color is not too important. I am just interested in a limited AWD without any other packages. Can someone who has purchased a similar car tell me the price paid.

thanks
    Bill
    $500 - $1000 under invoice, LESS rebates. That amounts to around $26,100 - $26,500 LESS rebates, PLUS tax & registration on an XM-equipped Limited AWD with no options.
  • okie4okie4 Member Posts: 6
    I need help purchasing an 07 Santa Fe Hyundai. I am so tired of never getting a good price for a car. I am so gullible. I want to purchase an 07 limited with sunroof, pearl white. If someone has time, could you please give me the steps to getting a great price on a car. I live 2 hours from OKC and Dallas. Also, I have an 03 Montero Sport to trade-in. Thank you.
  • bikemike1bikemike1 Member Posts: 2
    Here is what I did. Use a (free) online service like edmunds to submit quotes to dealers in your area. Allow the quotes to come in, then find the two best deals and work those two dealers until you cannot get them any lower. Then, take that quote to the dealer (who is not one of the two above) you want to buy the car from. In my case, it was a dealer just down the street. Go for a test drive, explain to them what you want and allow them to give you a quote. In most cases, it will be far above the price you worked on line. Tell them the price you were able to get online and allow them to beat it. In my case they did, by 200 dollars. Also, DO NOT allow them to deal with you based on monthly price. You need to work the deal based on the price of the car, not how much you want to pay a month. Also, do not talk financing or trade-in until you finalize the price of the car. You will get screwed every time if you bargain on monthly price, trade-in, or financing. Once you get the rock bottom price, work your trade-in as a separate deal. However, be carefull because this is where you can get taken. So, do a KBB search on the car to see what trade-in price is and keep in mind you will not get that price. However, the dealer should get relatively close. Also, take all your email responses from the other dealers with you so you have them documented (print them out, all of them). If you do not have the prices in writing, the dealer you want to buy the car from has nothing to go off of. If you have good credit, you can get a good rate on a car from Associated Credit Union. I was able to get 4.9% on a 5 year with no penalty to pay early. Read this site, all of it:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

Dont worry about MSRP or invoice prices. These are useless numbers. Basically what you need to figure out is what the dealer paid for the car, then work up from this (this is not easy to find out, but you can guess fairly close by using Edmunds and other online resources). Be sure to figure in the 1000 rebate that Hyundai is offering.

Just to give you an idea, I was able to get my 07 Silver AWD Santa Fe Limited with Sun Roof/floor mats/XM for 25k.

Let me know how it goes!
  • wimvanzonwimvanzon Member Posts: 2
    Just got one yesterday from Brad Benson in Central Jersey. 25,200, with tax, title, etc it came to 28,500. Their first price was 25,500 and they came down a little. Pretty easy transaction, and a pretty competitive price, from what I've seen on this board. And they got the car ready on the spot and drove it to my house. All in all, I'd recommend them if you're in Jersey.
  • okie4okie4 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you so much. I wish I knew this several cars ago.haha Where do I get the info about Associated Credit Union. How close do I need to get to the trade-in value of my used car? Have you ever negotiated on the TT&L. Also, how do I get the car dealer to email me the price and other pricing items so that I have something in writing.