Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mrvikas18mrvikas18 Member Posts: 3
    gcmartin , did you buy AWD or FWD?

27,505 is the price for car it is OTD price?

Thanks
  • mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    Hello. Can you let me know what dealer in NY you got this deal from and if you also recevied any financing

Thanks
  • craigd4craigd4 Member Posts: 6
    Hello GC. I am seriously considering purchasing a Santa Fe Limited FWD only. Thanks.

Craig
  • arghharghh Member Posts: 6
    Mike274

We are buying this weekend. Once I get everything in writing and the car in hand, i will gladly pm you all the details. Are you getting similiar quotes in your research?

I can't find a Private Message functionality so I cant PM you, sorry for having to flood the board.
  • newbie79newbie79 Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I am completely green when it comes to negotiating a deal on a car. Seems like so many people on this forum have been so skilled in their negotiations and received so many extras and discounts.

I need pointers, I need tips!!!

Here is the deal I am looking at:

Hyundai Santa Fe 2008 AWD SE - $23, 079 (after rebate) - no extras - no trade in.

And, how do I go about negotiating a deal when they insist they are charging me below cost and that they are the best price in town?

I would truly appreciate any help or pointers I can get. Money is tight and rent is high. Please help.

Thanks.
    Hey

Thanks for the reply. I have been getting somewhat higher quotes. Please let everyone know the details once you close the deal and good luck
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Newbie, that looks like a decent price to me providing the dealer doesn't try to add any additional charges except for taxes and title and don't pay excessive dealer processing fees. The best way to find out if you can do better is see if other dealers will go below that price. Be sure to get all inclusive prices including all dealer charges along with tax and title fees included. That way you can accurately compare offers. Good luck.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    You might take a look at post # 1930 in this thread.
    What do you guys think of dealerships who refuse to quote you a price? Typical or should I stay far far away?
    I think it depends on how comfortable you feel with the dealership and how you approached them for a price and don't forget the attitude of the salesman you dealt with. I handled all of my negotiations by phone and email and was very satisified with the experience.

I think I would ask to speak to another salesman or the sales manager, let them know your serious about buying, that you've done your research and know the price you want to pay. In my case I found the lowest price out of state and asked if they would match it which they did. There are some dealers that have set prices and will not negotiate. Be prepared to walk if your not satisfied. You should be able to do quite well with the slow economy, someone wants to sell you a car. :)
    Thank you. I am dealing with dealerships via email - I find this so efficient :)

That is a good tip - to get a price quote from out of state. I will do some more digging around.

I have another question - is it true that the price of a 2008 vehicle will differ significantly depending on how old it is i.e., 3 months vs. 8 months?

Were they manufactured differently or is the price simply based on the wear and tear a car will sustain from being out on the lot longer?
    Is there more room to negotiate if you pay off your vehicle in one lump sum?

How much room do you typically have if you offer this?
    I was told that older 2008 hyundai models are priced lower than newer 2008 models.

Is this true?

If this is so, how much is the typical price difference?

Thank you.
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Well, it's not exactly that they're priced lower - It's just that you may find a dealer is more willing to deal and offer a lower price on a vehicle that's been sitting on his lot for a while. The "holdback" is intended to compensate the dealer for finance charges while the car sits...but after a while, that's used up. Of course, I would expect a car that didn't have XM (that would be REALLY old) to be less also.

The flip side of this is that, with car sales in the dumper anyway, you should be able to get an exceptional price on ANY SF. Let's see...gas on its way to $4 a gallon, big heavy vehicle that struggles to break 20 MPG, Hmmmmm.....

(Disclaimer: I got a great deal, and I love the car. I took the mileage ratings into account, but after three weeks I've never gotten less than 22.5 MPG. But I live in a rural area, with mostly highway miles. A traffic jam is a farmer on a tractor.)
    Oh, so there are 2008 models without XM radio?

What do you think of this deal:

2008 Santa Fe AWD SE - no options, no additonal packages for $23,079 (after rebate)? This is their first offer - listed on their website.
    Sometimes the manufacturer increases prices incremently as their costs go up, compare sticker prices to see if that has happened. In the 2007 model year Hyundai made running production changes that added XM radio and added door activated map lighting and the price was increased. Destination charge also increased. Date of manufacture is shown on the inside of the driver door jamb. As someone stated dealers are motivated to move cars that have been on their lots for awhile.

XM radio is standard on all 2008 Santa Fe's, any without are early 2007 models.(check the mfg date!) Look over any new car you consider carefully, it should have no wear and tear.
    I think you can do better. I paid 24,199 for my car, WITH premium package, floor mats, roof rails, wheel locks and cargo tray. If you back all of that out of what I paid, my price for what you're looking at would have been approximately 22,123. Make 'em sweat.
    Thank you all for being so helpful. I wish I could bake everyone cookies, lol.

:D
    If I offer to pay for my vehicle in one lump sum, will this provide more room to negotiate?

One person told me that dealerships often like it when customers take on financing because they can make money off them. However, another person told me that paying off a vehicle in one lump sum will help you negotiate a lower price.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    It would be best to have preapproved financing in place before you buy. If the dealer offers a better rate you can go with him, just understand the terms. The dealer makes money off the loan if you finance thru him. If the dealer gets the impression you will finance thru him he may give you a lower price on the car but make it up on the finance charges you pay. A 'lump sum' payment will have no efffect on the price.
  • bucobuco Member Posts: 49
    As an ordinary buyer after owning my Dodge minivan for over 10 years and wanting something smaller and more economical ... I have spent 4 months on my research in person, in publications, and on the internet.

My buying experience (2 Plymouths, a Ford station wagon, a VW camper, a Triumph TR-3, a Volvo sedan, a Datsun coupe, a Dodge pickup, and finally the minivan) and my own personal OPINION ... Comparing many different manufacturers and models, my final choice based upon my needs, safety, gas consumption, dealership quality, and price came down to the base models of Santa Fe, CRV, and the Malibu.

On needs and safety: all three were equal.

On gas: the Santa Fe = 18/24; the CRV = 20/24/; the Malibu LS = 22/30.

On vehicle reliability: Honda CRV, the new Malibu, really last the Santa Fe

On dealership quality: 0-10 the CRV = 0; the Santa Fe = 3; the Malibu = 9

On price: the Malibu LS no options = OTD was $20,084; the CRV and Santa Fe at least $5,000 more and much more depending upon the dealership... up to over $30,000 on a Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Costco Auto Program (which I was informed is not owned by Costco but by an advertising company paid for by the dealerships) was even more expensive and ineffective than direct dealer negotiations.

I would not have thought to even consider a Chevrolet Malibu, but the news all over the internet was amazingly positive. With Detroit suffering and the global financial markets so dangerous, parts and costs from overseas may not remain stable in the future. And then I know it may sound irrelevant, but I decided to support a USA company... and really from my own logic.

The Malibu in my choice of color was on the lot for just hours after delivery and with only 2 miles on it; manufactured in March 2008; the dealership has been in the same family here for over 40 years and is directly involved with the company.

The wife runs the service department and her son runs another department. The receptionist has been there over 30 years. The entire staff that I had to deal with were very, very courteous, cooperative, and knowledgeable... in outrageously sharp contrast to other dealerships and the reputation of car dealers.

None of my extended family nor I had ever bought a vehicle from this Chevrolet dealership (and in fact my mother's Impala was the only Chevy [from Chicago] we ever owned), but knew of the local Chevrolet's reputation. No wonder this dealership has been in business for so long... in an extremely rapidly growing community of developers' gated homes and with frequent loss of every kind of business ownership here, I think I have made a wise choice.

I hope others will share honestly and completely on this website so that vehicle buying can be made much less time-consuming, equal in price, and transparent. Hopefully Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc independence increasing in the future will cause consumers to know and demand an end to the present "carnival circus like" market place that now exists. All you folks out there, please keep the pressure on to help build a better environment for vehicle retail purchasing so when I hopefully return to the market in 10 more years buying will be easier and fairer to all.

My best regards to everyone. :):D
    I have secured a pretty nifty deal. I won't disclose til all is final but I just have to say the members of this friendly and informative forum have helped a lot :)

One more question about financing.

I would like to purchase the vehicle via credit card to earn points. I do have enough money to back up the purchase but don't see the benefit of simply writing the dealership a check.

Anyone know how I can go about this? Do I call the credit card company to temporarily up my limit?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,090
    Most dealers have a limit on how much they will take on a credit card, towards a vehicle purchase...

It's usually $2000-$5000 max...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ttartttart Member Posts: 7
    I just got back from signing a deal on a Santa Fe Limited AWD, with nav. City World Imports. What a great dealer in the Bronx, NY of all places. Pleasant sales people, no pressure, nice long test drive etc. I started looking for a Veracruz, but after driving the Santa Fe, I was sold. Reading this forum I knew I wanted to pay $1000 under invoice. Actually ended up paying $1350 under invoice plus the $2000 rebate, out the door plus tax and title. Wow pleasantly surprised.
    Wow, you scored a great deal. You're going to love your Limited AWD - I've had mine for nearly a year and it's been a wonderful vehicle in every regard. Enjoy!
    Congrats on the new Santa Fe. Can you let us know if you got any financing deal also and the breakdown of what you exactly paid

Thanks
    I hope I love the Santa Fe as much as you guys seem to. 08 Santa Fe Limited AWD, Nav, mats etc. Platinum Sage. I pick up the car early next week. Here's my numbers. INVOICE: $30,761.... minus $2.000 rebate = 28,761. I paid, $27,436 out the door plus tax and title. $1325 under INVOICE! I probably could have squeezed another hundred or so, but at this point I was happy and they were too nice to push too far. It was a cash deal so no financing. After the deal was set, I asked about a trade, and they gave me $1000 more than any other dealer. I am one happy camper with this deal! :) City World Hyundai, Bronx, NY....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! :shades: I hope their service is as good as their sales staff.
    Base: 20,500
    Taxes: 1,884 (They tax the 2000$ rebate in NY)
    DMV: 67.5
    Total OTD: 22451.88

Included Floor Mats, rear cargo tray and mud guards.

Invoice price per Consumer Reports: 21,647. Bottom Line Price was 21,188.

No trade in and I did Finance: 60months @ 5.9%

I got it for 20,500 :-) 1,100 under invoice, 600 under Consumer Reports Bottom line which is the 'lowest' consumer reports thinks you can get (I believe).

I feel like a got a GREAT deal
    Thanks all :) I've learned a lot from this forum for my very first car purchase!

I am excited to share that I secured a Santa Fe 08 AWD SE - platinum sage (fell in love with the colour after much deliberation) with mud guards and floor mats for $24,000 OTD (so, the price was $22,120ish).

No financing involved, it was a cash purchase. Did 99.9% of my negotiations via email - truly the way to go. There is less pressure, you have to time to research, get a second opinion, etc.

Yay :)

Thanks all!!!!!

Weird, thing though ... my engine light is on. Will have to drive it into the dealership tomorrow to have it checked out.
    I have the car in hand! Its GREAT. We love the Dark Cherry!!

Here are my final numbers:

2008 Santa Fe SE FWD:

22,100 Out the door, this includes Tax and every other expense. We got the base price down to under 20k (Not including interest over financing of course) We did financing @ 60months. Included cargo tray, mud flaps and floor mats. Almost 2k under invoice :-)

So far we are very happy!
  • justthinkingjustthinking Member Posts: 23
    Just a note to the forum. We picked up our Santa Fe on 12/30/07 with help from others on this board. Car has been trouble free in its first 3+ months. Love the engine power, the heated seats (almost too hot!), and wife loves the XM radio. Do wish we had an ipod connection, but can't have it all.

Very pleased with our purchase.
    As me and my wife are not huge music people, no ipod connection isn't bothering us. (Maybe for a podcast every once in a while, I would like it but nothing to lose sleep over). And with XM, if we want to listen to music, it's never an issue. With the MP3 cd player, you can fit well over 200 songs on a cd and that will help. Just burn a cd with all your favortie songs and you will probably only need 1 or 2 of them.

Only thing I would have liked is a 'Rear Hatch Release' on the remote. You have to manually open it up. Not a big deal at all though.
  • hlcastelohlcastelo Member Posts: 45
    Can anyone share their experience with the purchase of a limited in South Florida? Are dealers willing to go under invoice? If so how much.

Appreciate the information.
  • jswainjswain Member Posts: 5
    We are just starting to look for a new car, and went today to test drive a Santa Fe. We were looking to possibly buy a 2008 FWD SE with the Touring package (need the third row seat for kids), but the only one they had on the lot with the third row seat was a 2007 AWD Limited w/Touring package and dvd player. They were using it for a demo, and it has just over 6,000 miles on it. The salesman said the sticker was for $33,000, but that his manager told him he could knock $7,000 off the price (which would put it at $26,000). I'm not sure how to price this vehicle or whether this is a good price. Also, would I still get the $2,000 rebate? We would love to have all the bells and whistles that come on this higher trim package, but need to be out the door for $24,000 or so. Is that realistic for this car, or should we stay with the 2008 SE?
  • cheapengineercheapengineer Member Posts: 36
    I bought a Kia Sorento (sister company of Hyundai) demo with 5200 miles on it in May of last year for 66% of sticker. I paid $20.8k, it had a sticker of $31.3 k. There was a $4500 rebate that went to the dealer. The car was basically brand new.

Keep in mind that your 2007 Sante Fe is last year's model and no one will want it; they want to dump it. Fortunately for you there isn't much differnce between the 2007 and 2008 so you have a chance to get a great deal. First make sure that it is a new car and has never been titled. This will be true if it was a demo. Check to make sure there was no body damage or repairs or returned as a lemon. Check the internet, sometimes the rebate is higher for the previus year's model.

You won't get out of the door for 24 $k because of TTL but if you can get it for $24k take it and be very happy. Start lower than 24. You will enjoy the extras.

PS - The better half has a 2007 Sante Fe AWD Limited with the premium package. It is a great car, absolutly no problems, and a great buy for the $$, Its rated #2 by CR.
    Thanks, cheapengineer. A couple of questions - how do I find out if there was body damage or repairs, etc.?

Also, when you say that if I can get it for $24k, take it and be very happy, do you mean after rebate? So that would mean their price is $26k, then I take off the $2k (assuming it applies), to get to $24k, then add tax, etc.? I think I would have to get them to $25k (before rebate) for me to be able to afford it. That would put me out the door for $24k plus title, tag, etc. I don't know if this is realistic, but I guess I could make an offer and see what they say.

Thanks for your help!
  • jmacphersonjmacpherson Member Posts: 6
    We found a one year old SE for $18,200. at a Honda dealer. It had 9k miles and was in perfect condition. We added leather seats, heated seats and a power driver's seat for a total just over $20,000. We are very happy so far. I realize I gave up a bit of warranty, but I think it was still a good deal. We are getting 22 mpg in the city and 25 on the highway. It is a very quiet and well made car.
  • sandykcsandykc Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a Santa Fe GLS, FWD, popular equip pkg, floor mats, cargo tray, first aid kit

MSRP $23,975
    Sale Price after rebate $19,557 plus $200 doc fee

Should I try more on this or is this as good as it will get? No financing involved.

This is the first time I am buying a car as a widow and with 2 kids in college, I really need to make the best deal possible. Please help!

Do I keep on going back to my select few dealers and ask for a better price?
    HI, MSRP $23,975.......Invoice (according to edmunds) about $23,000.....minus rebate = $21,000. Your price of $19557 seems good. The $200 doc fee is PURE PROFIT. The deal is still good at $1250 under invoice. Carefully check your invoice. Don't pay any other fees though. Just tax and DMV ACTUAL fees. What the heck....offer him $19100 and take it from there. The worst he can say is no. Maybe split the difference. Good luck. Tom
  • munkey116munkey116 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought the 2008 Santa Fe SE awd, in Rochester, NY for 24200 - $2000 rebate plus tags, tax etc. The sticker on the car was 28000. Did I get a good deal or could I have gotten a better deal. Thanks
    See my post #1905 on 3/29. Almost the same deal, though I think I did a little bit better (unless you meant to say it was $22,200 after rebate, in which case you did WAY good.). Enjoy the car!
  • mtjc521mtjc521 Member Posts: 26
    munkey116, which options or option packages, if any, did you get in your deal? I think $5800 off of MSRP for a 08 SE AWD is a good deal. Congrats.
  • jeandkejeandke Member Posts: 3
    Hi I just bought a 2008 Santa Fe AWD limited with touring package (15) the MSRP was $34,270. I paid $29,000 plus TTL. the price was $1,200 back of invoice.
  • ymmot11ymmot11 Member Posts: 8
    In August of 2007 I flew from Boston to Columbus Ohio where I was met at the airport by my new car, and the man who had the title. I met his family, his newer "larger" SUV, then pulled out some plates. Minutes later I was cruisin, sunroof open, in my new ride on a 800 mile trip back to beantown!

After 7 months of online SF shopping, and an occasional parking lot tour, I decided on exactly what I wanted, and how much I would pay. 2007 3.3 Liter AWD Limited Pearl White with Black Leather, a sunroof, and with only a few miles. I watched many dealer auctions end with bidders around 25K, and 27K. Then finally I saw the auction I knew was going to be mine.

In the end it cost $22,500, $1100 in state taxes, and $500 in air fair, hotel and gas. All in $24,100, but I had the exact car I wanted and for a great price. The guy who sold it was an awesome guy who still owed $29,400 when he sold it! He just needed a larger SUV, and a dealership trade in would have only meant 19K.

I have put about 20 thousand miles on it, and I don't have any complaints. The seller and I still stay in contact!
  • sammyd2sammyd2 Member Posts: 7
    Folks,

I had an offer for a new 2008 SE AWD + Touring + Premium for about $25,800 + tax, etc. This was after subtracting the $2000 rebate and dealer discount.

What do you think? Is this a good price? All other dealers in the area are quoting about $800 more than this price...

Would appreciate a quick feedback.

Thanks
    Sam
  • dgrunt5513dgrunt5513 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just bought a new car yesterday from Gartner Hyundai in Naperville, IL. We purchased a 08' Santa Fe FWD Limited with Navigation for what I believe was an extremely competitive price.

Out the door, we settled on $25,199 + T,T,L; they also gave us a very fair offer on our trade in which will allow us to keep our monthly payment below $400. From my limited experience with the Navigation seems as though it is a fairly good device although I still cannot believe that they do not have an AUX for an IPod.
    I am looking to buy a 2008 SE FWD w/Touring package. None of the dealers in my area have one on the lot, but I have found a dealer who says he can get me one for $23,446 (after rebate, plus tax). The deal is only good until the end of April because he says he does not know what Hyundai will do for rebates in May. Another dealer told me today that he thinks, if anything, the rebates will be higher in May because sales were poor in April (economy). I am going out of town on 4/30, and just don't think I can pull the trigger before I leave. Anyone have any thoughts/guesses on whether the rebates will at least stay the same (i.e. not go lower) for May? I really want this car, but don't want to feel rushed. The sales guys at this dealership are not on commission, so I don't think the price will otherwise be affected by waiting.
    As the 2,000 Year Old Man (Mel Brooks) once said, "Never run for a bus, there'll always be another." If you don't want to be rushed, then don't. I think it's unlikely that rebates will go down 5/1, but we won't know for sure until Thursday, right? If I had to bet, I'd bet they'd continue as is. I bought my Santa Fe on 3/28 because I didn't know what would happen April 1st....and nothing did. But I'm glad I got my car when I did. If rebates had gone up, I might have been a little miffed, but meanwhile I've been enjoying the car for a month. It's anybody's guess, but I feel Hyundai's rebates will continue as is thru May. Just don't blame me if they don't.
    All of the car companies are very tight-lipped about future rebate plans. There's absolutely no way to know what will be offered beginning May 1st until May 1st gets here. If you don't feel comfortable making a deal until after April 30th, the best thing you can do is wait and hope that the rebate then is at least as much as it is now.