Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• dan5678dan5678 Posts: 28
    Took a test drive today. Ignored the myFordtouch since i'm not interested in that distraction. I was not able to locate anything that looked to me like a "real time" mpg display on the screen that is between the tach and speedo;which i'm let to believe is in all models with or without mFt. All I found appeared to be a total mpg.

I see in the pdf of the owners manual on the motorcraftservice site something about "ECO mode". That looks like what I'm interested in, can anyone reading tell me if that is only a mFt function or does that show up on the smaller screen that comes in an SE also?

Seems like maybe the sort of thing that might merit a video on the tube that is you, but I don't see anything there that looks like it applies to Escape.
  • usa1fanusa1fan Posts: 68
    I haven't seen anything like an instantaneous readout in mine. All I could find is the trip AVG display.
  • I haven't found an "ECO mode" as yet. So far, all I can find is the little green leaves to tell you how you are doing. I have seen "Advanced Eco Master" so far but it was gone fast as this is a fun car to drive.
    I seem to be getting 22 (mostly) to 25 with 2000 miles on the odometer.
  • pam70pam70 Posts: 3
    Took it to the dealer and they wouldn't touch it. Ford knows there is a problem but doesn't have a fix yet. I also had the TPS light coming on and the passenger air bag off light on when a full grown adult was sitting in the passenger seat. I didn't trust the system and traded out of it. They told me there was a fix if it had my touch but it was a base model.
  • dan5678dan5678 Posts: 28
    So...... are these green leaves on the dash display of an SE? SEL? Unobtanium? model? Actually i have a scangauge in my mazda5. Presuming that OBDII jacks have not changed in the last 5 years using that is another option.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    edited October 2012
    There is no "eco mode" setting on the Escape, or any Ford as far as I know, that places the car in a fuel saving mode. The Eco Mode feature is more or less a feel good display that informs you of your driving habits. The more leaves the better you are managing acceleration and braking techniques. If you gun it off the line, or don't use the deceleration fuel cut off by taking your foot off the accelerator and coasting to stops, (hurry up to stop) fewer leaves will be displayed on the anticipation and speed displays.
    As much as people have been looking for and complaining about no instantaneous mpg display, the mpg display on the Escape indicates average mpg's. I read somewhere a long, long time ago, that it updates every 5 miles to display the new average. That cycle may have changed since I read that, because my 2013 Escape mpg display changes constantly, it obviously drops with heavy acceleration and increases steadily when I get to cruising speed on the freeway.
  • southtxsouthtx Posts: 14
    To fix the date, go to settings and make sure both GPS and Daylight Savings Time are 'on'. Mine were both set to 'off', and in a few minutes the date had corrected.
  • vdm123vdm123 Posts: 3
    I continue to have radio and navigation problems with the MFT system. On my second trip to the dealer they admitted that there is no repair for the malfunctions until Ford issues a software revision. They noted on my receipt "no repair available". They also noted that performing a master reset does not repair anything, it only serves to delay the malfunctions for a few days or a week and wipe out any presets I programmed. I going in to the dealer again since I am now getting new malfunctions, complete failures of the nav system and error messages saying the SD card is bad. After my fourth trip to the dealer I will send a letter to Ford. By Maryland law they will have 30 days to repair it or I file a lemon law complaint. A law firm I spoke to said many people have filed lemon law complaints against Ford for the Sync system and most opt for a payment from Ford, typically $2,000 to $4,000. If the problems were related just to the radio and nav system I would consider it, but unfortunately I have other problems too, noises and knocking from the steering and hyper-sensitive cross traffic and parking obstacle warnings to the point of making this car quite annoying to drive in an urban environment. Unless Ford can fix these glaring flaws I don't want a replacement from them.
  • Does anyone know what the button with the lock is on the center consol on the titanium model. It is across from the hazard button but the lock button can not be pushed.
  • Took me 3 weeks to figure it out... it lets you know the doors are locked. It cycles as you lock the doors... I wonder how much that light cost Ford? :confuse:
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    it's just a light letting you know the doors are locked/unlocked. If the light is on, doors are locked, if off, doors are unlocked.
  • I wonder if anyone has an understanding of ordering/shipping out of Louisville? I noticed that my factory order was built on 10/17 and shows as still "waiting transit." While another vehicle destined for the same dealership shows a build date of 10/23 and is already "in transit."

What's peculiar is my vehicle is listed with a delivery date of 11/9 and the other vehicle is 11/10.
  • Thanks. I have the Daylight Savings Time setting 'on'. However, I have not been able to find the option for setting the GPS to 'on'. I suspect finding that will solve my problem. Any advice on menu to follow? I don't have the Nav system.
    Those of us without GPS don't have that option. It would be really handy, because my click has recently started to show the wrong time after sitting overnight- something Ford evidently knows about and is working on, but that it is telling owners "with navigation" to use the GPS setting to address in the meantime.
  • While I am very pleased with my 2013 Escape Titanium, the traffic information being delivered to the navigation system from Sirius does not seem to work.
    The yellow and red highway traffic indications do not show up under the route.
    The travel times don't seem to be adjusted for traffic information.
    During rush hour, many of the local streets are highlighted in yellow as if the traffic information has incorrectly been overlayed onto the side streets from the main streets.

Has anyone been able to get the traffic information working properly???
  • The system seem to be able to adjust the volume level on the voice commands but the volume level on the navigation directions and "bells" remains excessively high.

Any ideas on how to permanently lower the volume?
  • Status is now "in transit." Finally!
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    My clock is unreliable. I don't have the Navigation option, but the vehicle does receive GPS information.

If you go to "help" > "Where am I", you'll get latitude and longitude readings. This suggests that it's receiving and interpreting very accurate time signals. There's apparently a disconnect between that & the clock.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..more or less a feel good display.."

No, with the level of electronic, computer, controls in moern day vehicles there are literally a myriad of firmware implemented features that could be added to get an actual "EcoMode" result.

"Detuning" the DBW throttles response to accelerator pedal position comes immediately to mind. In the case of the EcoBoost engines slower onset, shallower slope, of rising turbo boost might satisfy the driver's need for POWER and at the same time render a substantive FE improvement.
    Good point. I never considered that, for the GPS to be accurate, the car has to have accurate time stored somewhere, even when it's showing two-and-a-half hours different on the clock's display.

On a related note, I knew that our cars still have GPS, even without the 'navigation,' because it's why we can upload turn-by-turn from MapQuest. I don't like that Ford won't allow a purchase of the navigation sd card (and possibly a dealer installed software update) to enable the navigation fully. All the hardware seems to be there, just not the software and maps. I guess they're determined to get their $795, even if it shouldn't cost nearly so much with all but a bit of software and the maps already in the cars. I could see making it available for two or three hundred dollars, similar to some higher end dedicated GPS units, but not $800.
  • Anyone have a Titanium AWD and notice the escape is idling heavy? When I'm at a stop light the Escape seems to shake, with the windows down it also seems a lot louder then I remember. I've had it into the shop once and they said the Engine Mount was defective, and they replaced it but it only seems slightly better.
    edited November 2012
    That's good to hear. Depending on where you are, 3-5 days by train, 1-2 days at the holding yard, 1 day to deliver, 1 day to prep, it will be to you in no time.
    OK, that all sounds great, but it doesn't change it from a display that is nothing more than a method to monitor your driving habits to assist you in achieving better mpg's.
  • The sticker says "convoy." I checked this morning and the status remains "in transit" but the delivery date is now pushed out another week to Nov 17. First Nov 5, then Nov 9, and now Nov 17. I am only a two day drive from Louisville.
  • Well, nobody from Ford told me anything about how to fix the clock... I figured it out quite by accident. What Ford told me was that the clock/navigation/MyFordTouch not working correctly was an 'inconvenience' and not a safety issue, and they'll get to it when they get to it. And in case anyone is getting a 'vibe' here, no, I'm not over it yet. :mad:
  • pzampzam Posts: 19
    I've owned my Escape for a few months now, and am an avid reader of the various forums. Here's my take:
    1) Many Sync systems lock up every few weeks. There is no way to manually reboot other than disconnecting the batter or pulling fuses. The system reboots after every 24 hours of use. Since a lock-up usually doesn't shut down properly, it usually resets the next day. Ford knows. Plenty of people have complained. They either can't fix it or choose not to.
    2) Cross traffic sensors are very sensitive. Mine regularly thinks that my boxwood and mailbox are oncoming cars. Again, I doubt there is a fix.
    3) There are other bugs. If you have a Titanium with Nav, try doing a route with the "Intelligent 4WD" display screen on the Information Display. It never updates the route. Again, maybe they'll fix it sometime.
    4) If you have a trailer package, don't use LED lights. It isn't compatable with them. Ford has LED's all over this thing, but I guess they don't think any after-market suppliers are smart enough to use them.

I really like my Escape when it works correctly, but I just had my 5th service visit and some problems still remain. Luckily, I have a great dealership! But if you want a car without bugs (or a company that solves them), I'm afraid you bought the wrong vehicle.
  • Please explain why it isn't compatible using the 4-pole flat socket hook-up to a trailer with LED's.
    When you lock the vehicle, the rear lights stay on for 30 sec. or so. The trailer hitch power does too. So far so good. But when the tail lights go out, the power on the hitch flickers for about 20 seconds, causing the LEDs to flicker. Eventually they go out. Usually. I've had them stay on for an extended period some times until I lock/unlock the vehicle. Dealer verified that this happens with other Escapes, and is a function of the module. (No more relays -- now everything is a "module"). Hitch light manufacturer confirmed that problem exists with some Fords, Mercedes', and Jeeps. Ford Technical confirmed that their hitch is 'not compatible' with LED trailer lights. Is this nuts or what? Ford uses LEDs all over their new cars. I guess it's a stretch for them to think that others might as well.
  • escapeismescapeism Posts: 39
    edited November 2012
    So to be clear, are all the issues only when you shut off/lock the vehicle? Does everything work (brake light, turn signals) normally when driving? Thanks for responding so quickly.
    Correct. Hitch lights appear work. They just flicker for a half minute or so during shut down. Note that I am just using a lighted hitch step, not an actual trailer, for whatever that's worth.