Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• selescapeselescape Member Posts: 2
    I drove a 2003 mountaineer.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    I have a 2002 Explorer and over 50 mph it sounds like one of the rear windows is open.
    The first time or two I was in the Escape, I heard some wind noise (cross bars?), but I don't remember hearing last time I drove it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mikeqtmikeqt Member Posts: 9
    toyota corolla
  • nr7000nr7000 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, guys. Year-long lurker/first time poster.

I apologize if I've posted in the wrong forum, but here goes. My dad is a Ford employee and I can get "D-plan" pricing on new Ford vehicles through him. This translates to about a 4% discount. This would be on top of the $2000 available rebate. The 2013 Escape "S" model with these discounts is right around my price point.

The other vehicle in contention is a certified 2011 CR-V EX with under 40,000 miles. This would likely bring a similar price tag.

Naturally, my dad is pushing me to get the Escape "S", but Hondas are just so reliable, and that's very important to me. What do you think?

Nick
    Can't edit or delete my post anymore, so here's an addendum: the sale price of a base model 2013 Escape "S" for me would be $19,844.

The sales price for the well maintained, certified 2011 CR-V EX FWD with around 30K miles would likely be between $20,000 and $20,800.

I have serious concerns about the reliability of the new Escape, but far fewer with a used CR-V. What do the more experienced here think? Your opinions are highly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Nick
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Go with what you're going to be most satisfied with. I'm not familiar with what trim level the EX is, but the Escape S is pretty basic transportation with no frills and it comes standard with the 2.5L Duratec engine. That's one of the best engines in the Ford lineup and you don't need to worry about its reliability. Personally, I think the Escape looks better than the 2011 CRV.
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    Don't forget a new Ford Escape will have the full warranty (3 year bumper to bumper and 5 year drive train). A used Honda CRV might have some warranty remaining (depends on mileage).
  • tvumbacatvumbaca Member Posts: 4
    I would just test drive both to see which performs to your liking. Since the Escape S come with the basic engine and no ecoboost, I'd see how it performs compared to the CR-V you're looking at. I think both cars are solid choices and that you would just need to judge how each of them handles. Could make a big difference. Before I bought an Escape SE, I tested the Mazda CX-5 and although it looked nice, was well equipped and price was really good, the engine just had no power at all. That was all I needed to see in order to cross it off my list of options.
    Thanks, guys, for your input. I feel that the Ford vehicle offers a higher quality interior and better looks. Possibly better MPG. These are all important to me.

The CR-V offers dependability, which is also important to me. Perhaps most important.

I'm leaning Ford at this point. I can scrape together the money for either S or SE, and at such deep discounts it is hard to pass it up, given that it would be totally new.

Thanks again! :shades:
  • automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    Anyone else notice that there is a whistling noise coming from the drivers side mirror?
    I notice it when I am going 25+ Mph and the window is down. Very annoying. Makes me want to keep my window up, all the time. I notice that if I fold the mirror in partially, then the whistling stops.
    Sounds a bit like a turbo whine, but it's not. The turbo's in these things are very muffled. I have scarcely ever heard mine.
    2.0 SEL
    Are all the ac exhaust vents chrome plated?. Mine is and it reflects in the door mirror so bad that I can't see out of it very well. If some are black I will change mine.
  • pzampzam Member Posts: 19
    I think they are all this way. I agree it is annoying at first. I'm used to it now, and I don't even notice it.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    Never noticed mine...must be doing something wrong. ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    It's traditional to drive with your eyes open.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    edited May 2013
    I don't have that problem and don't recall having seen anything on the Escape forums, but I've read about 2012 Focus mirrors whistling. If I recall, the sound is made by air traveling through the gap between the mirror and the support where the mirror pivots. One fellow put foam rubber in there and others put tape over the gap. I recall one person on a Focus forum had Ford replace the mirrors, but good luck with that. See if you and scrounge up some black foam and push it in the gap with a thin blade.
  • tobasco27tobasco27 Member Posts: 2
    coldnfrosty - did you ever get your radar detector mounted? I also noticed that it didn't look like the Blendmount would work on the new 2013 Escape. I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Did you ever get yours installed?

Thanks!
    Thanks for the reply. I will try putting something in there to see if that addresses the problem. I am surprised that no one else has mentioned this. If these are all built on the same assembly line, then should all whistle. Maybe everyone else drives with the windows up and the A/C on.
  • coldnfrostycoldnfrosty Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2013
    Yes. I used a ProClip.
    Last Saturday, I actually drove my wife's Escape and tested for the noise.
    Didn't hear anything unusual.
  • milano327milano327 Member Posts: 9
    Loaded a few groceries in the Escape tonight with the manual rear lift gate and grabbed the handle Ford conveniently provides for pulling the lift gate down and OOPs, the lift gate stayed up and the trim panel with convenient handle provided came down.

As usual it is plastic, even the part that pulls the lift gate down and something is broken off inside the projections molded in the panel.

Trip to the dealer tomorrow should be entertaining.
  • milano327milano327 Member Posts: 9
    The inner trim panel is held on by several molded in plastic push tabs. The handle is secured by two screws that engage metal clips in the inner door structure and are installed at the factory before the handle is clipped in place.

Both screws had fallen out and the push pins for the rest of the panel came loose when I pulled the gate down.

To access the screws the handle has to be removed and it is attached by plastic tabs with metal clips over the tabs. Chances of breaking one or both tabs is high.

When the large panel pulled off, it messed up one of the short trim panels that go up the sides of the lift gate so they have to order the part and back to the dealer for an hour for a five minute fix.

The technician said this is the second one he had seen like this. Maybe not common but certainly not unknown. He put Loctite on the screws and hopefully that will permanently fix the issue.
  • tvumbacatvumbaca Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to update on the Transmission issue we've seen:
    Well I took it to the dealer and luckily the transmission showed the same clunky delayed shifting when going from park to drive. The technician was in the passenger seat when it happened. So the problem was confirmed and they tested everything out and ultimately their fix for this was to replace a part that they called the "valve body", and did some reprogramming to the computer. Not sure yet if all is well since I have not driven too much since the fix.
    Anyway for you guys seeing the same problem, take it to the dealer and let them know that this is a documented issue and make sure they fix it.

At first they could not duplicated the symptom I was seeing so they did nothing. I went ahead and contacted Ford customer care directly and they assisted me with setting up another appointment to take a test drive with a technician to help them duplicate the problem and confirm it. Luckily the problem showed up right when we started the test drive. This was a huge concern for me, I thought I was getting stuck with a :lemon:
  • maniac4maniac4 Member Posts: 41
    Nah they fixed it for you. I think ford needs to review their dealers. I appears the dealers are ruining fords reputation. The Escape is excellent. but the dealers are horrid.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Lets chalk that up to personal opinion. My family is dealing with a nightmare in regards to the 2013 Escape 1.6L AWD.

After many service department trips because of many CEL's and random dead batteries, along with FE that cannot top 19 mpg, the transmission is acting up. In 3rd gear, in both select shift sport mode, or regular drive, there is loss of RPM's , about 300-400, and then the RPM's pick back up. There is no specific RPM where this happens. It happens as long as 2,500 and as high as 5,000. It's a concern. Whether this is a normal characteristic or not remains to be seen as I have yet to drive another one to verify.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    No it is not normal. That's what the warranty is for. ;)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The Ford dealer claims nothing is wrong. They won't fix what's not broken, according to them.
    anyone have a roof top cargo box?
    I have one but it's huge, 7 feet long, 18 cu ft.
    That won't work on the Escape.
    I did some homework, but I'm hoping someone has one.
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    what kind of computer or program would be needed to tweak the engine for much better gas mileage. We are emissions crazy here, so gas mileage suffers.
    A mechanic told me that in Europe is opposite, they are not as stringent on emission. But get much better mileage.
    in the Escape. What a lead foot. Not sure if she usually drives like that or just wanted to ditch as soon as possible. ;)
    Anyways, warmer weather and a few more miles have bought things up to average.
    Don't want to say what 'things' is.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    If tweakable, I'd like to see turbo boost begin at a later throttle opening. My Scangauge tells me that boost begins earlier than I need or want it.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Does the 2013 Escape have a flip up rear window?
    No it does not. It's one of the things we miss from our previous Escapes. Part of it is the styling.
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    Some people post looking for help with a problem, others to ask about accessories and some more others to rant about their Escape. I'm just saying....I've now driven 10,000 problem free miles with my 2013 Escape AWD Titanium. Only trip to a dealer was for the first oil change and tire rotation. :)
  • pzampzam Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2013
    Glad you are one of the lucky ones. I've had 8 trips back to the dealer in under a year. While most included Sync problems, I had dash lights that didn't dim, nav that didn't work, a hatch that didn't close, proximity sensors that failed, and a few other things. Sync is the worst. Just yesterday, it decided to give me no audio. Next time I started, it was fine. I love the features when they work, but unfortunately Ford released a lot of software before it was ready for prime time. Let the buyer beware. Oh -- and the lack of Pandora (in favor of Sirius) just adds insult to injury. I have a great dealer, but I'm not looking at another Ford for my next vehicle.
  • escapeti2013escapeti2013 Member Posts: 9
    I can echo your sentiments. I've got a black AWD Escape Titanium with all the gadgets, and the only issue I've had with it were some initial hiccups with the MyFordTouch software; I had to take it in to the dealer to upgrade to the newest version of the software which fixed the issues I was having, and since then it's been just fantastic. The motor on the power liftgate also died at one point and I had to have that replaced.

With that said... I had an Escape SE as a rental once for a few days, and after driving that one, I can absolutely believe all of the problems that people report with these vehicles. Even the clock wouldn't work right on that thing! (It was running at about 20% speed -- it would advance a minute every five minutes or so.) There were problems with the tailgate not fitting properly, problems with the radio not working or randomly turning on/off, problems with the headlights, all kinds of issues with the fit and finish (door panels/center panel weren't fitting properly, etc.)... you name it, this car had it broken. It was a nightmare! I absolutely feel for the folks with problems with their Escapes... if the car I bought had even a quarter of the problems that rental had, I would be absolutely LIVID.
  • meg1234meg1234 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a fix for your navigation? I have the same issue with mine. Have had it in once already to Ford and they didn't fix it. Round two coming up next week. They didn't seem to have heard of this issue before. Frustrating.
  • asctonyasctony Member Posts: 46
    We leased our first Ford last week. It is a Ford Escape SE 2013. We seem pretty satisfied with it overall. Some of the shortcoming that I find are:
    1. Radio Preset Stations: You must be in AM or FM to get to a specific preset station that was programmed. If you are in AM you cannot go to FM directly from an FM preset. What is the easiest way to jump from AM to FM or FM to AM?
    2. Sync: Way too many levels to drill down into. Read about Sync before and its shortcomings, so was prepared for it. When using Phone option - having problems with Call Name as it will not correctly identify person to call. Took to dealer and they will try a reload the Software (SW.) Dealer checked to ensure SW was up-to-date. Dealer agrees it is not working.
    These are the two issues that we will overcome assuming that Sync is fixed for Phone use.
    Will report back upon dealer fix.
    Thanks to all who have posted to provide all the excellent tips and suggestions.
  • bogey235bogey235 Member Posts: 12
    I reported several months ago about a few issues I was having. I am still dealing with a couple of them. First is that the front and rear doors on my Titanium 2.0 on both sides are not flush with each other. Where the 2 doors meet on each side they are uneven. What is happening is that if the front door is closed and you open the back door, the back door is clipping the edge of the front doors....chipping the paint on both doors. It is going back in tomorrow to get this fixed again ( I hope). The other thing is a front end noise when breaking. Sounds somewhat like a clicking, but you do not feel anything in the pedal to make you think it is the anti lock brakes. They are looking at that again tomorrow as well. These issues are now going on 1 year old.
    I forgot to mention that I was told that the dealer thought there was a bulletin out on the front end noise. I have not googled that yet.
    Dealer did not find a problem with SYNC. They said it is the way I list my contacts on my Note 2. Example: NAME 5552131234
    They said that you should not use UPPER CASE NAMES and any special characters. OK, changed all my contacts and now it works. However, this is a problem and limitation with SYNC as I have not encountered the problem with my other cars (GM and Mazda) using bluetooth phone search.
    SYNC needs some major changes!
    Got my Escape back this evening. The doors seem to be much better this time. They are pretty much flush on both sides. Hopefully that issue is behind me. The only thing that remains is the front end noise. They have ordered a strut bearing and I am hoping that will fix the front end noise. I actually did some searching on the Internet and have seen much more on this issue. Some real issues with the front end noise. Some other owners have experienced total front suspension replacement many others have not had to go that far. I will give an update once the part comes in and gets installed.
    Ford repaired my gps by downloading the latest software update and by replacing my module bracket. This only repaired the arrow icon on the gps screen to follow the car on the road where it actually was on instead of being three blocks or more away.
    There are still other issues to be resolved.
    All my phone listing are in upper case and I do not have any problems. The nice lady in my dash almost always understands who I what to call. I have droid phone. Some one at Ford is pulling your leg!
    I actually have had this issue as well. It usually catches up to itself after a few minutes but it is strange.
    I must agree with you. However, for now I will keep it as I changed it all. SYNC is not a user friendly system. Thanks for your input!
    I have a BlackBerry with over 2000 contacts. I am amazed that I can voice dial ALMOST anyone in my address book. It's not perfect, but better than I expected considering the number of contacts.
    One thing I did at the suggestion of a Ford tech, was to turn off the automatic phone book download. I do a manual download every now and then to update the book. This seemed to help with some other things. I think that updating a huge phonebook (every time you start the car etc.), hogs a lot of resources unnecessarily and can slow down other functions.
    I only have 134 contacts and have deleted and downloaded contacts 4 times in the car Phonebook to ensure that the contacts were valid. I do the manual download and I know that the download matches my contacts. Checked it visually in the car from Phonebook. SYNC really needs to be looked at. Been using voice recognition since Dragon Dictate came out back in the 1990s. My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has no problem recognizing my commands. I am using Android version 4.1.2.
    FYI - MyTouch Version 3.6 will be released in August.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Different model, but perhaps of interest:

Teaching My Parents MyFord Touch
  • escapeti2013escapeti2013 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone happen to know roughly when in August MyFord Touch v3.6 will be released? I was hoping for the beginning of the month but that seems to not have happened.