Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• pzampzam Posts: 19
    Does your nav info on the 'intelligent 4WD' screen ever change? You said it takes a long time. Mine never updates at all no matter how far I drive or how many turns I make. The only way I can get it to update is if I change screens (e.g., go to my key or trip 1). Otherwise, it just remains fixed.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    edited November 2012
    The tow/recovery hook is required for all vehicles in Europe and the printing in the Owner's Manual is probably a carry over from the European Kuga manual. A car jack is required in all U.S. cars so your analogy falls flat. As someone has already posted, the recovery hook is available through the Ford Accessory Store. I have to laugh at your last statements. If what is true you'll forget about purchasing ANY Ford product, you already know there's no tow hook, and now you know that it's available on the Ford web site, so is this your last Ford? You don't mention any other issues with your Escape, so not having the tow hook has ruined your experience? You must be hard to please.
  • tim156 In response to your question, here are just a "few" of our difficulties so far: the am/fm radio never worked [repaired by removing headliner and fixing broken wire to antenna] the radio turns itself on at top volume and does not respond to the dash or steering wheel controls. Must turn the vehicle off, wait and then start it again and hope it works. The color control for the interior lights does not respond consistently. When it gets cold, we get a loud thud in the rear of the vehicle when going over a minor bump on the road. With careful driving, we are only able to achieve half the proclaimed gas mileage that Ford boasts about, similar to other peoples' claims on this website.

The point I'd like to make is that there is no indication that this tow hook is an accessory on the Canadian website, even under listed options and accessories. Secondly, no owner will be aware that if they end up in the ditch, there will be no way for them to be towed out as there are no places to put a tow rope. It's the principle of it all.....in Alberta, snow storms happen and it would be great to know that other Ford drivers are informed of this possible problem. It's unfortunate that most Ford Escape drivers won't be aware of this until they find themselves stranded in the cold.
  • I am looking for an "accessory power" tap, preferably off the passenger compartment fuse box where I can add a circuit. However, when I check the voltage on the circuits there, they all appear to be at 12v with the ignition off. Anyone know where I can tap 12v that is available only when the key is either on accessory or the car is running? Many thanks.
  • Found one - fuse 85.
  • After 2 weeks of ownership and 1200km (750 miles) I am rating this vehicle as an 8.5 or closer to 9 out of 10.
    My vehicle is 2013 SEL 2.0 FWD with all available options but the sunroof. (also have towing pkg)

Here is a summary of likes / dislikes, experiences etc.

1) Very Quiet ride with a good suspension. Very car-like and handles very well.
    2) Sony sound system is excellent.
    3) Steering wheel controls, take getting used to, but they are very good.
    4) Memory seats which include memory lumbar and mirrors.
    5) Excellent engine power and good fuel economy combination when driven reasonably. (see my comments in the 2013 Gas Mileage discussion)
    6) Power tailgate can be programmed by the push of a button to raise to a certain height. A surprise feature that allows me to open the tailgate and not hit the top of my garage door opening.
    7) My Ford Touch has some great features. It is not perfect yet, but I am liking it more and more. (minus a few glitches) Voice Commands work well for the most part. I have 2000 names in my phonebook and I can still use the voice-dial feature. Nice.
    8) Towing capacity. I have not towed with it yet, but I have no doubt it will handle my 1800 lb trailer with ease. (this factored into my purchase decision. no one else comes close on this)
    9) Park assist works very well, although it is not a feature I really wanted. (just wanted backup camera, but in Canada it is in a package)
    10) Cross traffic alert can be a bit annoying, but it also seems to work well. Overall a Plus.
    11) BLIS (Blind spot Info Sys) Came with Park assist. Didn't really want it, but overall a Plus.
    12) Keyless entry/start, remote start, door keypad, remote tailgate etc. All work well.

Dislikes
    1) Small fuel tank. This vehicle will have the shortest range of any vehicle I have owned in recent years. I suspect when I am towing, the range will be less than desireable.
    2) There is no real storage for the driver. The other day I looked for a place to keep a few coins for the carwash and I could not find a spot. I do not want to put them in the cup holders or the bottom of the arm-rest, where they would be difficult to retreive.
    3) The MFT system has a couple of glitches. (version 3.2.2) It reads my text messages for a day or two then stops. I have to do a Master Reset to get them going again. Also replying to text messages by voice command, it gets stuck on one answer and then I have to exit. I have a system update scheduled at dealer. I hope this resolves problem.
    4) I sometimes need to press the button on the dash to silence a parking sensor which thinks there is a problem while I am sitting at a red light. ( I think falling snow has contributed to the problem a couple of times) Not a big issue once I knew where the button was to turn feature off.

I may have more to add (positive or negative) in the future. So far I am pleased with purchase.
  • Looks like you got the technology package. I did not, but I agree with most of your "likes." I have the Continental tires on my SEL, and they are lower profile than I have had on the past, and wonder if they contribute to the firmer ride I'm experiencing. Not a complaint, since I had been driving an Explorer for the past 10 years!

I agree about the small fuel tank. Although I though 15.1 gal at 28 mpg would take me 400 miles, I am getting less than 300 per tankful and found that a fill-up is 13.1 gal when the distance to empty is in the single digits.

I also agree about the driver storage. I got used to the coin holder in the Explorer. But the SEL has a very deep center storage console that is somewhat useless. I think they could have engineered something a bit more useful in terms of access.

No real issues with 3.5.1 on the MFT. But, I would like to have the flexibility of upgrading to the Nav package. The dealer wanted $2690 to get that because it only came with the technology package.

No texting here. For some reason Ford/Microsoft and Apple don't play well together.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    According to owners manual there's a 1.5 gallon reserve in tank when gage reads empty.
  • Same as you coming from the bla crv. i got the escape almost 2k miles no problems with the tech. mpg on the other hand is still way off on my 2.0 t
  • Can you put dates and/or a source with this? My Navigation actually works quite well (save for the one time it lost it's mind and I had to pull and replace the card this weekend... A4, by the way)... but based on what I've read on other sites, a lot of people are still having MyFordTouch issues with new deliveries. Maybe the dealers aren't doing what Ford told them to do... but the end result is the same.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    The update was released on 11/5 and my source is a Ford tech who posts on the Blue Oval Forum. I know that is not a documented source, but I trust his posts to be accurate and truthful. We may be reading the same thing, but it seems most of the troubles are still with the NAV systems. I don't have NAV, I self updated and other than two clock hiccups, which seem to have resolved itself, I'm not having any problems with radio, USB, Sirius, album art or song identification with MFT.
  • I got my escape the start of October. Since then brought it back 3x for the Nav system glitches. The last two were updated with this newest software. I started a log book. When I park my car >30mins, My nav takes 5-7mins to have GPS coverage. This is ridiculous for the amount of money I am paying to get top of the line. I cannot sit in the car for 5-7 mins each time before I go about work. Especially since the nav system was one of the reasons for getting a new car. 4th time would be a lemon in the state of Washington. I really do want to keep the car but will declare lemon if not fixed.

Also, MPG rating is way off. Im 2400 miles into it, still getting 18-22mpg. All Hway with barely stepping and easy on acceleration, Vancouver to Seattle, shy of 23mpg. No where near 21-28mpg. Will try no ethanol and see. Should at least be easy to hit 24 but not. it seems FORD was trying to look good at the expense of long term customers, who WAS cheering for the company to make it.
  • I recently purchased a 2013 ford escape with a 1.6L Eco Boost engine from Lundgren Motors in Eveleth, MN. There is a very annoying engine noise that is driving me crazy. The noise has a pinging or ticking sound. The noise is present at all engine RPM’s above idle and the frequency scales with engine RPM. The noise is coming from the dash/firewall on the passenger side. The noise is noticeable only from inside the car when the windows and doors are closed. I keep the radio on to drown out the noise. I’ve had the car in dealership and they inform me that this noise is normal and is coming from the fuel injection system. I’ve driven other 2013 1.6L Ford Escapes and none of them have this noise. Therefore, I’ve concluded that this “noise” is not normal. The dealership is not interested in working the issue and wants me to go away. I’ve tried to isolate the source of the noise with little luck. I did hear the noise signature on one of the fuel lines with a mechanical stethoscope. Does anyone have this same issue?
  • Hello All

We've had 4 Escapes and liked them all. Considering trading in one of the older ones - already rushed to get a 2012 on another trade, but realize we'll have to bite the bullet at some point on the new version- and have two comments and two questions:

comment 1 - why the heck did they reduce the gas tank size? When you look at the range for city, combined, or highway - the extra mpg doesn't make any noticeable difference. All the ranges are within a few percent of each other. It seems like the highway mpg isn't too realistic, anyway. If you drive at 55 on NJ highways, you'll be flattened.

comment 2 - another thread has confirmed that the hatch opening height - the height from the load floor to the inside top of the hatch door frame - is shorter than the previous version. The boxiness of the previous model was one of the best features. Has anyone with a new model found the reduced hatch opening height to be an issue?

question 1 - back-up camera was included with nav system in earlier models. It's not clear if this is still the case, or whether you now have to buy the $995 parking tech package in addition to the $750 nav price. Admittedly, the nav option was more expensive in prior models, so maybe it works out the same.

question 2 - if you get the nav system, you can't get the upgraded Sony sound system?

Thanks, fellow Escapees!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,861
    Smaller gas tanks means the car weighs a bit less and helps Ford meet CAFE mpg standards. It's not a lot of weight but it all adds up.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have the nav system, it is the upgraded sony sound system with a 'sub' hehe
    and when I got mine to get the camera, you had to get the parking package. I like the bliss, crosstraffic... i dont care for, and auto park i dont care for. but the camera is a must
    I would love a +5 gallon tank
    the hatch height... never noticed a difference from the tribute
  • The new model outweighs the old model even with the smaller tank. My mixed driving range has dropped from 285-310mi with the 2010 Escape to 235-260 with the new 2013 Escape. Not only that, I religiously hand calculate my mileage and during the 1st 3 months I was getting 23.5mpg with the 2010 and now I'm getting 18.9mpg. And they were both purchased in July so temp/gas formula has nothing to do with it. For whatever this is worth???
  • Well, this is certainly in keeping with what Ford 'Customer Care' told me. Which was when they fix it they'll let the dealers know, but won't be making any effort to let owners know. And apparently, the dealers aren't going to tell you unless you take it in and ask (if they even know). At the very least, I would have expected some kind of Email notification from the SYNCmyRide website, but I didn't see one.

We also had the radio 'on by itself and wouldn't turn off' again last weekend . And like a few times before, it stayed on with the vehicle shut down and the doors opened (which should 'kill' the designated power delay however long that is).

Changing the subject a bit, I've noticed a LOT of wind noise at the windows... much more than any other vehicle I can remember. Haven't mentioned that to the dealer yet, but I will when we take it in for them to isolate a 'wet' problem they noticed during an oil change.
    How many miles on yours now?

Winter-blend gas can make your mileage go down. Three and a half mpg seems like a bit much though.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,736
    My wife has a '13 AWD 2.0 with about 1750 miles on it.
    It has averaged just over 22 mpg in the month and a half she has owned it.
    I checked the mileage for her '09 over the same period and it was about 20.8, although it had about 8k on it by then.
    That must have been a cold spell here in the northeast back in '09 because checking the mileage i got in the '02 Explorer, it could barely keep it's head above 13 mpg for the same period.
    I was averaging close to 16 mpg with it before November this year and my last couple of tanks have been around 14.5.
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    edited November 2012
    2,500 now, and I compared it to the 1st 2,500 with the 2010 Escape & they were both bought in July so the winter blend shouldn't have a greater effect on 1 over the other.

The Hwy mileage was a different story, the 2010 was 27.4 and the 2013 was 30.6

IMO the turbo KILLS the mpgs in mixed driving more than a N/A engine.
    Well, I think it's possible for different cars, even the same model and engine, to have different mpg results. Otherwise there wouldn't be much reason for this discussion, lol.

Some people get good mpg from the first tank while others take 10,000 miles or more for the mpg to settle in. I wouldn't get too worried until another 6 or 8 tanks.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,736
    Only 2500 miles since July sounds like a lot of short trips.
    Have you checked your tire pressures?
  • Yes, my commute every day is very short, but I always make sure to get out on the highway at least once a week to run at highway speeds so I'm not always driving short stop & go trips. Did same with the '10 model.
  • Sounds like the same engine fumes problem I had with my first escape. I returned it and the dealer gave me another one which is much better, but I am still getting some fumes when stoped! The fumes are coming in from the air intake for ventalion system I think? There must be more people having this problem?
  • I have 1,100 mi on my 2.0L SEL. At 2,000 RPM using cruise control for a 260 mi round-trip, I got 25 mpg. My experience has been that colder weather can reduce mpg by 2 or 3. So I would expect to see the 28 mph highway in the warmer months.
  • Is there any dashboard indicator that the turbo is running? I used to have a turbo light on my old Mazda 626 GT Turbo.
  • There is no turbo indication on the vehicle. I monitor mine through the OBD-II port. The turbo is more or less a function of the throttle position. I have found that during my normal acceleration from a stop-light, (2.0 FWD) and it rev's to no more than about 2500 RPM, then I am not seeing any turbo boost. (this is only modest acceleration. (approx 10% throttle)
    On the other hand, I have had the cruise control set to about 65Mph and climbed a gentle hill, at 1700 RPM and seen the boost go to 10 pounds in 6th gear. The boost is so quiet and effortless, you do not even know it is running.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    Today I ordered my first Escape. AWD Titanium with no options other than a block heater. Just starting to browse this forum to see how the new Escape is being accepted.