Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• After I escalated it with Ford, they actually contacted my dealer and had them call me to set up an appointment to replace the software a few days later. The dealership had just gotten the flash drives with the upgrade the first of this week. So far so good, though I did have a glitch last night that made me worry if the problems were returning. Today, though, it has worked perfectly. I can live with an occasional hiccup if it is not a regular occurrance.
  • Thanks for the info. I will likely perform this upgrade on the weekend.
    My vehicle was manufactured on Oct 10, 2012. Not sure when the factory may have started installing software that is newer than 3.2.2

The MFT works pretty well. Just a few glitches. It will read my text messages to me and then if I use a voice command to "reply to message", it automatically chooses message 10 or "Yes" as my reply to a text message. If I cancel the reply, it will cancel momentarily and then try to send message 10 again. It seems to get stuck in a loop.

Again, most things work really well. I am quite happy with the vehicle after a week of driving.
  • pzampzam Posts: 19
    Hey coldnfrosty,
    Where do you find TSBs?
    Ford hasn't even posted anything about the availability of 3.5.1 on SyncMyRide. It sure would be nice to know what things they are fixing that they aren't telling us all about.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,998
    You can get summary TSB info at the Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide and at the NHTSA.

BBBind.com is another good source - they often have full text TSBs.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a Escape SEL on order... How many weeks should I expect to wait for delivery. It will be 2 weeks since I ordered....mid December? I hope sooner. Can't wait!!!!!
  • Mine arrived at the dealer exactly 7 weeks after I ordered it. Another couple of days for dealer prep. I am in Western Canada. I spent a lot of time on this forum for those 7 weeks, like I am sure you are now.
    SEL 2.0 FWD, MFT, park assist, tow package etc.
    Really enjoying the Escape.
    I will post milage info as soon as I have some meaningful data. So far it looks like I will be right on the EPA numbers. +/-
  • pzampzam Posts: 19
    Thanks, but unfortunately the one recently posted doesn't show up on either of these sites. Maybe there is a bit of a delay.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,998
    That's probably it. Sometimes TSBs don't seem to show up anywhere but at the dealer too (and we find out about them when someone manages to scan a copy and post it on the net somewhere).

A friendly service writer might be willing to make you a copy.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• All -

I was about to install the 3.5.1 update but saw the note about needing a new SD card for the navigation system. Am I just going to have to have the dealer do the update so I can get the new SD nav card?
  • mbb21mbb21 Posts: 7
    I have been looking for the ECM/OBD plug (where you connect an Auto Code Reader) and cannot find it anywhere. It usually is under the steering wheel well area above the brake pedal. At least that is where it was on my old Explorer. Anyone has any ideas where it is located on a 2013 Escape?
  • Sitting at the dealer now waiting for Sync update. Have had the car two weeks now. Came in this morning to have a roof rack installed (included in sale price). Last week had a problem with clock reset.
    This morning had problem connecting cell phone to sync. Salesman knew nothing about sync update.
    I found out about the update from this forum (thank you). Service knew about the update but didn't offer to install until I asked about it. They are not concerned about the clock reset right now, to them it's a nonissue. Wait is estimated at an hour for sync update, will have to come back if clock reset needs to be fixed. I guess this is the price you pay for all of this new technology.
  • I guess this is the price you pay for all of this new technology.

Well, it's certainly the price you'll pay if you just accept it for what it is... which is broken. You've already paid for the technology... and you paid a lot for it.

An earlier comment mentioned a 'cutoff date' for the updated SYNC to be installed in the new models. Well, that's a laugher. If there's an update available, Ford should have the dealer installing it in every Escape sitting out there on a lot waiting for a buyer... whether it was manufactured before a cutoff or not. Instead, they wait for Mister Customer to realize he has a problem. I simply don't understand why it's so hard for Ford management to understand... buyers are angry when they get on the Internet and see the problem they have has been around a long time.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    edited November 2012
    Know before you post. The actuality is there was a ship and sales hold until all Escapes could be updated with the new software including the A4 card for NAV optioned vehicles.
  • What I meant by "cutoff" is the vehicle might of already shipped without the update being done at the factory.
  • I just bought a 2013 ford escape se and am also having a bad exhaust smell in the cabin. It stops if I turn on recirculate, but then it comes off recirculate after 5 mins, all by itself.
  • Well, I'm still on the fence after the MyFord Touch update. It definitely performs way better than it did before the update. In fact, it works seamlessly for days at a time, but I have still had 3 or 4 hiccups in the last week that concern me - the same type of glitches as before, bluetooth not being located or connecting and the radio coming on instead. Then the system seems to recover and work well again for a period of time. At one point, after difficulty connecting, the title of the track was garbled and the voice control word "listening" on the entertainment tab was garbled. The garbled letters seemed to include oriental characters before it came back to English. I wonder what is up with that? The garbled title had the following format - "oriental character K ?". Anyway, before the update, the problems just got worse and worse. At the moment, it seems to be intermittent glitches and the system recovers. Better, but not a complete fix.
  • Clearly marked panel that says OBD just below the headlight switch. Grab the handle and the panel pulls down exposing the plug.
  • Took close to 8 weeks for mine. Received it last week.
  • I had the cruise control set for 70 the other day on a 220 mile trip. Settled in around 22.4 mpg according to the display, which is relative since there was some city driving on the front end. What got me though was the "miles before empty" display. I pulled into the gas station when it was at 9 miles left to empty and filled 13.1 gallons. I guess in theory I should have been able to get another 40 plus miles on the gas I had since its a 15 gal tank. So 300-320 miles on a tank should be the norm in 40-deg weather.