Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• Phil Edmonston guide also said, never buy a new version of the old car. Give a few years for the manufacturer to work out the bugs. We were going to buy the 2013, but the specs are so similar to the 2011, that is, the 4 cyl is half a liter smaller than the 6 cyl. so we opted.
    no car drives as the manufacturers specs indicate. ie. hybrid. Ford want to sell a suv, advertised specs are usually so out of wack with real world, just be careful about the sales pitches.
    this suv has been in europe for years. I am surprised at the bugs listed. Wikipedia has a good write up about the euro version.
  • al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    When you are in the middle of something like that it is hard for others to really understand the helplessness it can make you feel. It sounds like you did what I did research and read and review and then look forward to a really neat car and get a problem child. I have to believe this is not the DNA of all these cars and you in fact have a "lemon" of some degree. I also believe your dealership is the one that should just take care of things. I also know from others that ZONE managers I think they call them come in when things do not go well. It may not be too early to just ask for another car. If they are replacing a car for a stained headliner because of a leaking sunroom--it would seem if these things continue you are in far worse shape than they are. Ask for the owner of the dealership at some point if service department and or your salesman do not help. I have most things resolved if I can deal with the person that has authority to make a decision and stay as calm cool and collected as possible. These people are like you and me in many cases they just work there and many times do not really have authority to make the decision you might want them to make. I don't think you have to over look those issues or would I or anyone be expected to do that or you. I read recently that National and Avis have bought these vehicles for their rental fleet so I got to believe they would not invest in something that would have safety and tons of down time. Sometimes the computer or brains of these cars can cause everthing you are experiencing and replacing that or who knows may fix everything.
    Let us know now and then how things are going. I think there will be happy ending to this as I can't see Ford just leaving you hanging off a cliff. Hang in there!!!!
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    edited July 2012
    This morning I took a 210 mile road trip which consisted of approximately 105 miles on the interstate and 105 miles of two lane highway. It was a dream to drive and I don’t regret at all upgrading from my Focus, despite fewer mpg’s and a higher monthly payment. This 2.0 has great power and acceleration and goes like crazy when you need it to. The 6 speed is smooth, but sometimes seems to be searching for the best gear to often. Overall the ride is smooth and the cabin is very quiet. The ride is a little harsh going over expansion joints and imperfections in the road traveling at freeway speeds, but that’s to be expected for an SUV. The steering is very responsive in turns and curves and requires very little driver response in the straights. I tried to activate the Curve Control but couldn’t. I guess between the Torque Vectoring and me being chicken, I may never experience that feature.
    If you want to squeeze out the best mpg’s, you will need to be very light on the accelerator. I noticed when you take off from a stop with a heavy foot, the average mpg’s drop very quickly. The highway portion of the trip in Western Wisconsin was all curving, rolling hills, with small towns every 8 to 15 miles or so apart. The mpg’s reading is really sensitive on this car, much more than my Focus. It reacts to nearly every transmission shift when it’s under any kind of load and drops a few tenths going up hills and vice versa going down, no surprise. The best mpg I got was 34.5, driving 55 on a straight flat road. On the rolling hills, with the cruise set at 58 (Wisconsin Troopers are notorious), I was getting 29-31 mpg’s and generally when I’d cruise into a town it would increase to 31.2 and drop to 28.4 as I got back up to speed. I’ve always done this, but it’s a good idea to use the accelerator to gradually get back up to speed then reset the cruise, rather than hitting the resume button, downshifting and racing to speed, your mpg’s will take a BIG hit when the turbo kicks in. I did take it up to 110 for a brief time, maybe 45 seconds to a minute and it was smooth and handled really well. I tried to run it at different speeds; at 75 for 10 miles it read 26.2, at 70 I got 26.6 and at 60 got 28.7 and climbing, but I had to exit to head east to Wisconsin. Seems the mpg sweet spot is right around 60, again, no surprise. For the entire trip I averaged 28.7 mpg on Trip 2.
    It was a rainy and dreary morning and the rain sensitive wipers worked great, there are much more reliable and consistent than my Focus. Yesterday, after much work, I finally got the seat to where I like it. I only got out of the car twice and my butt and legs were comfy the whole time, no circulation cut off on my legs like in the Focus. Being able to tilt the front of the seat cushion down really helps. The Escape seat is wider and my left leg doesn’t get strained by the seat bolster. There are a few things that could be improved on. The interior could use a cubby for cell phones, change or whatever. The side windows could use a rain channel, (remember cars before the 80’s that had a big chrome rain channel) because the rain pours in off the roof. It was humid and the windshield fogged up easily, all I wanted to do is have some air flow but couldn’t, had to use the defroster, which runs the condenser, which lowers mpg’s. I don't like the look of side window deflectors, but they're a must if you want to drive with the window cracked when it's raining.
    The fit and finish of my interior is perfect. All the pieces line up, are tight and evenly spaced. There are no rattles, squeaks or thumps. There is some minor creasing in one area on the passenger seat and on the drivers side rear seat where the cloth and leather meet, but nothing to get worried about and someone not looking for it would never notice. Other than those two minor things, I couldn’t find anything wrong with the interior, and I looked. The paint is flawless, but I suppose I might find something when I wax. All the doors and hatch are aligned perfect, all the body lines match and the tires were only inflated to 40 psi rather than 36. All in all a great package, excellent work LAP.
    I hope this helps those thinking of buying one, and gets those waiting for theirs even more psyched.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Good report on a good vehicle.

FWD or 4WD?

Did you experience much torque steer?

Was there a passenger or any other load in the passenger side of the vehicle?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,927
    searching for the best gear to often

Seems to be a more common observation with new cars these days; I think the programming is "aggressively" searching for mpg savings (as further indicated by your mpg readings comment).

I miss "exterior" rain gutters.
    edited July 2012
    Okay you have to be an English teacher or a writer. What a great write-up. I have not read anything nearly that helpful in any of the reviews. I hesitate to put that hypen in this response as no clue if that is good grammar. An actual driving experience rather than vague descriptions.
    edited July 2012
    I have a FWD, Titanium. I read your comments on torque steer and punched it a few times to see and I did not notice any. I went with the FWD because I live in the city and rarely need 4WD. I also wanted a little more mpg's. When I do go off road it's over there, not out there.
    At work I write a lot of reports for Senior Management so over the years I've had to learn to be a better writer. I wasn't all that smart back in high school. My majors were Parking Lot, with a minor in reefer and Under the Hood with a minor in Beer Drinking.
    There's a good chance the shift quality will improve as the electronics compare actual shift timing with optimal, and tweak the shift points. You can help by repeating the "problem" shifts.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,927
    Good point, could still be in "learn" mode.
  • rollsplatrollsplat Posts: 12
    I had the dealer pull the battery to reset MySync because of a display issue - buttons on the screen were turning red in color. Fixed now, but the 1-touch up/down power windows no longer work. The dealer did not have the re-set instructions available. Does any know the sequence to reset the one-touch?

The dealer order the 12S34 "kit" to fix the brake/accelerator carpet clearance today. My VIN was on the list - but it's an obvious issue.

I'm also getting poor gas mileage (20mpg), but I think it's because it soo hot in Dallas. Just 1200 miles - so the Titanium is really not broken in yet. Using regular gas ... wondering if premium would give better mpgs. I know my last car was very particular about the brand of gas too.
    Cheers, Rollsplat
    I suspect those EPA ratings for MPG are on flat roads, no wind and no A/C or heat fan dragging down the engine. If it ever cools off you hopefully will see some improvement. One other person reported 29.+ on a trip with a Titanium and he had some air on so it sounds like it can be done.
    Try this to reprogram your window switches.

1. Lift and hold the switch until the window is fully closed, then release
    the switch.
    2. Lift the switch again for one more second.
    3. Press and hold the switch until the window is fully open, then release
    the switch.
    4. Lift and hold the switch until the window is fully closed.
    5. Open the window and try to close it automatically.
    6. Reset and repeat procedure if the window does not close
    automatically.
    I don't know for sure, but I bet the posted EPA highway numbers are from a lab, on rollers, with the speedo pegged on 55.
    I wouldn't be concerned about less-than-expected fuel economy until the vehicle attains >=4K miles.

We tend to think that it's primarily engine break-in. There's a LOT more to it. Consider the friction in all the seals on rotating parts, the meshing of mating parts, the sliding and rolling bearings in engine accessories (alternator, water pump, AC compressor) and throughout the drive train. All of this stuff has to break in, and that takes miles.
    You are probably right. After reading this it refers to things manufacturer does and EPA does and city and highway driving. It may all be simulated in a lab. This article seems to be talking about old and new methods but the bottom line is it may barely simulate any real world driving. I know they made some recent changes so stickers would be very close to actual mileage. My 2012 VW Passat gas engine exceeds the sticker all the time. Just today over 34 mpg on 70 mile Interstate trip with a/c on. This is trusting the display and that of course may be too high or guess could even be low.

http://www.epa.gov/fuel economy/420f06009.htm
  • rollsplatrollsplat Posts: 12
    edited July 2012
    I got the official instructions printed out from the dealer. Follow this exactly and it will reset the windows after losing programming.

i. Turn the ignition ON. (I did not have to start the car - I just hit the start button to turn on the accessories in my Titanium).

ii. Start with the windows in the down position.

1. Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds into the glass top run and release the switch.

2. Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position again for 2 seconds and release the switch.

3. Activate and hold the window control switch in the DOWN position until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds at the bottom of its travel and release the switch.

4. (repeat 3) Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds into the glass top run and release the switch.

5. Test for correct window operation by carrying out the one-touch up and down feature.

I posted this with my library of other documents for the 2013 Ford Escape here:

http://bit.ly/R3jX66

window_motor_initialization.pdf

Cheers, Rollsplat
    Wow Rollsplat the documents you have are amazing. You are a detailed person and a wealth of information. Would sure be interested to hear if your mpg improves.

Let us know. Thanks
    You had quite a list of issues with your brand new 2013 Escape did you make any progress on a resolution?
  • Thanks! Updates as resolved. Here's my list top list of issues on my 2013 Ford Escape

There are a lot of little inconsistencies in the MFT touch they should have resolved before releasing the software. I won’t bore everyone with my entire list here, but here are a few that “bug” me;)

1. Ford appends to every text message from the car "This SMS was sent from my Ford". Is this necessary, really?

2. Having problem getting my Blackberry 9900 to display any phone contact photos. No resolution yet.

3. There needs to be a soft-reboot USB drive that won't delete all your MFT setting like Master Reset does. (because you know you’re going to have to do this from time-to-time).

Other:

The door pillar locks don't adjust the seats to position 1 or 2 - as I think they should according to the manual. I've tried everything – no resolution.

You can see my entire list http://bit.ly/R3jX66 - MFT_Issues_2013_Escape.pdf

I don’t think Ford is listening, but if anyone has their ear, pass it on!
    Cheers, Rollsplat