Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• milano327milano327 Posts: 9
    The inner trim panel is held on by several molded in plastic push tabs. The handle is secured by two screws that engage metal clips in the inner door structure and are installed at the factory before the handle is clipped in place.

Both screws had fallen out and the push pins for the rest of the panel came loose when I pulled the gate down.

To access the screws the handle has to be removed and it is attached by plastic tabs with metal clips over the tabs. Chances of breaking one or both tabs is high.

When the large panel pulled off, it messed up one of the short trim panels that go up the sides of the lift gate so they have to order the part and back to the dealer for an hour for a five minute fix.

The technician said this is the second one he had seen like this. Maybe not common but certainly not unknown. He put Loctite on the screws and hopefully that will permanently fix the issue.
  • tvumbacatvumbaca Posts: 4
    Just wanted to update on the Transmission issue we've seen:
    Well I took it to the dealer and luckily the transmission showed the same clunky delayed shifting when going from park to drive. The technician was in the passenger seat when it happened. So the problem was confirmed and they tested everything out and ultimately their fix for this was to replace a part that they called the "valve body", and did some reprogramming to the computer. Not sure yet if all is well since I have not driven too much since the fix.
    Anyway for you guys seeing the same problem, take it to the dealer and let them know that this is a documented issue and make sure they fix it.

At first they could not duplicated the symptom I was seeing so they did nothing. I went ahead and contacted Ford customer care directly and they assisted me with setting up another appointment to take a test drive with a technician to help them duplicate the problem and confirm it. Luckily the problem showed up right when we started the test drive. This was a huge concern for me, I thought I was getting stuck with a :lemon:
  • maniac4maniac4 Posts: 41
    Nah they fixed it for you. I think ford needs to review their dealers. I appears the dealers are ruining fords reputation. The Escape is excellent. but the dealers are horrid.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Lets chalk that up to personal opinion. My family is dealing with a nightmare in regards to the 2013 Escape 1.6L AWD.

After many service department trips because of many CEL's and random dead batteries, along with FE that cannot top 19 mpg, the transmission is acting up. In 3rd gear, in both select shift sport mode, or regular drive, there is loss of RPM's , about 300-400, and then the RPM's pick back up. There is no specific RPM where this happens. It happens as long as 2,500 and as high as 5,000. It's a concern. Whether this is a normal characteristic or not remains to be seen as I have yet to drive another one to verify.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    No it is not normal. That's what the warranty is for. ;)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The Ford dealer claims nothing is wrong. They won't fix what's not broken, according to them.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    anyone have a roof top cargo box?
    I have one but it's huge, 7 feet long, 18 cu ft.
    That won't work on the Escape.
    I did some homework, but I'm hoping someone has one.
  • what kind of computer or program would be needed to tweak the engine for much better gas mileage. We are emissions crazy here, so gas mileage suffers.
    A mechanic told me that in Europe is opposite, they are not as stringent on emission. But get much better mileage.
    in the Escape. What a lead foot. Not sure if she usually drives like that or just wanted to ditch as soon as possible. ;)
    Anyways, warmer weather and a few more miles have bought things up to average.
    Don't want to say what 'things' is.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    If tweakable, I'd like to see turbo boost begin at a later throttle opening. My Scangauge tells me that boost begins earlier than I need or want it.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    Does the 2013 Escape have a flip up rear window?
    No it does not. It's one of the things we miss from our previous Escapes. Part of it is the styling.
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Posts: 54
    Some people post looking for help with a problem, others to ask about accessories and some more others to rant about their Escape. I'm just saying....I've now driven 10,000 problem free miles with my 2013 Escape AWD Titanium. Only trip to a dealer was for the first oil change and tire rotation. :)
  • pzampzam Posts: 19
    edited July 2013
    Glad you are one of the lucky ones. I've had 8 trips back to the dealer in under a year. While most included Sync problems, I had dash lights that didn't dim, nav that didn't work, a hatch that didn't close, proximity sensors that failed, and a few other things. Sync is the worst. Just yesterday, it decided to give me no audio. Next time I started, it was fine. I love the features when they work, but unfortunately Ford released a lot of software before it was ready for prime time. Let the buyer beware. Oh -- and the lack of Pandora (in favor of Sirius) just adds insult to injury. I have a great dealer, but I'm not looking at another Ford for my next vehicle.
  • I can echo your sentiments. I've got a black AWD Escape Titanium with all the gadgets, and the only issue I've had with it were some initial hiccups with the MyFordTouch software; I had to take it in to the dealer to upgrade to the newest version of the software which fixed the issues I was having, and since then it's been just fantastic. The motor on the power liftgate also died at one point and I had to have that replaced.

With that said... I had an Escape SE as a rental once for a few days, and after driving that one, I can absolutely believe all of the problems that people report with these vehicles. Even the clock wouldn't work right on that thing! (It was running at about 20% speed -- it would advance a minute every five minutes or so.) There were problems with the tailgate not fitting properly, problems with the radio not working or randomly turning on/off, problems with the headlights, all kinds of issues with the fit and finish (door panels/center panel weren't fitting properly, etc.)... you name it, this car had it broken. It was a nightmare! I absolutely feel for the folks with problems with their Escapes... if the car I bought had even a quarter of the problems that rental had, I would be absolutely LIVID.
  • meg1234meg1234 Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a fix for your navigation? I have the same issue with mine. Have had it in once already to Ford and they didn't fix it. Round two coming up next week. They didn't seem to have heard of this issue before. Frustrating.
  • asctonyasctony Posts: 46
    We leased our first Ford last week. It is a Ford Escape SE 2013. We seem pretty satisfied with it overall. Some of the shortcoming that I find are:
    1. Radio Preset Stations: You must be in AM or FM to get to a specific preset station that was programmed. If you are in AM you cannot go to FM directly from an FM preset. What is the easiest way to jump from AM to FM or FM to AM?
    2. Sync: Way too many levels to drill down into. Read about Sync before and its shortcomings, so was prepared for it. When using Phone option - having problems with Call Name as it will not correctly identify person to call. Took to dealer and they will try a reload the Software (SW.) Dealer checked to ensure SW was up-to-date. Dealer agrees it is not working.
    These are the two issues that we will overcome assuming that Sync is fixed for Phone use.
    Will report back upon dealer fix.
    Thanks to all who have posted to provide all the excellent tips and suggestions.
  • bogey235bogey235 Posts: 12
    I reported several months ago about a few issues I was having. I am still dealing with a couple of them. First is that the front and rear doors on my Titanium 2.0 on both sides are not flush with each other. Where the 2 doors meet on each side they are uneven. What is happening is that if the front door is closed and you open the back door, the back door is clipping the edge of the front doors....chipping the paint on both doors. It is going back in tomorrow to get this fixed again ( I hope). The other thing is a front end noise when breaking. Sounds somewhat like a clicking, but you do not feel anything in the pedal to make you think it is the anti lock brakes. They are looking at that again tomorrow as well. These issues are now going on 1 year old.
  • bogey235bogey235 Posts: 12
    I forgot to mention that I was told that the dealer thought there was a bulletin out on the front end noise. I have not googled that yet.
  • asctonyasctony Posts: 46
    Dealer did not find a problem with SYNC. They said it is the way I list my contacts on my Note 2. Example: NAME 5552131234
    They said that you should not use UPPER CASE NAMES and any special characters. OK, changed all my contacts and now it works. However, this is a problem and limitation with SYNC as I have not encountered the problem with my other cars (GM and Mazda) using bluetooth phone search.
    SYNC needs some major changes!