Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    Compared 6-8 SUV's and decided on Escape. I liked the looks, 2.0 engine, Technology it offers, and reasonable gas mileage. Looked at Mazda C-5 under powered reviews say, Venza too Camry like, CRV, CrossTour double boring, Tiguan-over priced, RAV4 dated styling--- 2013 coming soon restyled, Highlander too pricey with options I wanted . Drove Honda's for years--- bought passenger car but found need SUV type so traded 2012 VW Passat gas engine. Delivery late next week. VW is and was flawless and better driving experience than all the Honda's I drove for years. Think I know what German driving experience is now having owned 2 VW recently. Honda was all trouble free but boring. Soooo if I was influencing the buying decision for my wife I would put her in the Honda just to avoid the uncertainty. If she likes the Escape then good call maybe to avoid the My Ford Touch (MFT). Seems to be the most issues that you hear about. I suspect they have sold 20,000 Escapes by now and suspect they are not all having problems but you don't need that possible phone call about My Ford Touch. McMahon Ford is offering 2000.00 off over their Internet web site on 2013 Escapes. No other area dealer was pricing them like they are. I have seen bigger discounts than that a few hours away from St. Louis area.
  • Just had our new 2013 Escape for 11 days. Was loving it, but just noticed that water has been coming in through somewhere and soaking the headliner. Reason I know is because of a water stain on the headliner around the top of the frame on the driver's side. I notice from previous comments on this forum about the same issue. Seems like the new escape is prone to this problem.
    Be interesting to see how many people have had this issue.
    We don't have a sun roof on ours so that can't be blamed.
    A previous poster is correct when they say that it sucks the joy out of new car ownership.
    I have been in contact with Ford and awaiting a response from them and will talk to my dealer tomorrow.
    I will post when I find out more. I certainly don't want a brand new car in for repairs for days and a new headliner to hide other damage caused by the water getting in.
  • Do you have roof rails? I can't imagine it could be anything but either the roof rails or front windshield, both of which seem highly unlikely. I wait for your findings.
  • -novascotiaguy
    We had ours for 2 days before we realized that we had growing water stains in the headliner (see my other posts). We immediately demanded a new vehicle or a refund. We didn't get any argument from Ford or the dealership, only their sincere apologies. According to the dealership, this was the first instance of this problem that Ford has seen. I really have no idea if that's true, and I have not heard if they have determined the root cause. In your case I would certainly demand a replacement vehicle. A leaking roof can cause all kinds of problems that creep up over time. Maybe you won't have any problems, or maybe you will have numerous issues that require multiple trips to the dealership for repair. You have no idea how long its been leaking, how far the water has spread and what has been affected. Its like buying a flood car. Its too big of an issue to have worry about on a brand new car. In our case they are building us a new car and gave us a rental (Ford Explorer XLT) until the new one arrives in early September. They are also doing a "show car build" on the new one, which means that it goes through more inspections during the build process.
    I started a thread for this specific issue on Blue Oval Forums. I would appreciate it if you would add your story to that thread so that it is clear that this is not just a one case freak occurrence. I have the panoramic roof, but as you said, you do not. This is obviously not just a case of some [non-permissible content removed] leaving the sunroof open. There is some other kind of problem going on with this car, and it should be documented. Just Google "2013 Ford Escape Leaking Roof" to find the thread. Thanks. I hope it all works out for you.
  • shark_driver - I have reviewed your post related to your 2013 Escape on this forum and blueovalforums. Thanks for sharing. I live in Hampton, VA and would like to know what dealership you purchased your vehicle. They are providing you with great customer service.
  • We bought it from Freedom Ford through NFCU's buying service. So far we've been happy with them. They were very responsive, and the problems we had are Fords issues anyway. The dealers are unfortunately caught in the middle. We still love the car and I think that the issues people are having are the exception not the rule.
  • flbentflbent Posts: 5
    Picked a new escape SEL loaded. 2.0,, park assist, touch, etc; and I have A real problem.
    When hard accelerating the car looses power, rpm drops to idle speed and the car will only slow down. Makes Passing and merging a dangerous proposition.
    The car is 1 month (3000miles)old and in the shop for the first time. This is my 5th new ford and the first in-warranty shop visit ive ever had to make. Makes me a little unsure when my service mgr
    Says. "hmmm. New trans, new engine, new computer, can you leave it with us for a few days?"
  • shark_diver. tks again for info.
  • southtxsouthtx Posts: 14
    It's now 8 days since we took the Escape to the dealer (last Monday). They kept it overnight, then told us we could come get it Tuesday because they couldn't do anything until they heard from Ford. I understood this to mean they were waiting for guidance on WHAT to do... but also think I heard that they now need approval before doing ANY kind of warranty work on these vehicles. When we checked yesterday evening, they still hadn't heard back from Ford. This didn't seem resonable to me. It's been 8 days. So I subjected myself to the frustration of Ford Customer Care this morning and opened a case for 'elevation'. What I learned was that they see nothing associated with our VIN other than the recall work. So nothing from when dealer #1 worked on the cruise control, windows, memory seats and MFT bugs... and nothing from dealer #2, who is waiting over a week now on a call back from Ford. Which probably isn't a surprise because Ford doesn't know there's a problem!
    So now I wait for 'up to' 48 hours for someone from Customer Care to contact the people that were supposed to be talking to each other all along and find out what's going on. Sigh.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    What was the humidity..?

Sounds like the intercooler condensation problem Ford is having with the F150.
  • escapeismescapeism Posts: 39
    edited August 2012
    What was the driving conditions at the time?? Lots of humidity? raining outside? How long had you been driving in these conditions? I only ask because it appears to happen with the F-150 eco when driving for long periods at highway speeds when the dew point and air temp are the same.
    In each of the three times it happened weather was dry and road conditions were excellent. The dealer did call to say they needed another day.
    I live in Florida. Its always humid.
  • Thanks Shark Diver. In my case they have so far taken out the windshield and put it back again as they thought it was a faulty seal. Then they intend to clean the headliner and put it back. I'm not happy and it is hard to get hold of Ford at the best of times. It is just not good enough and I intend to put my point strongly. As you say, it has probably been leaking since it left the factory. Both my wife and I have allergy issues and asthma, so don't want mold or toxic chemicals in the confined space.
    I am sick of Ford already. Should have got a Volkswagen.
  • Yes, we have roof rails, but the dealer seems to think it's coming through the windshield. They have taken it out and re installed it. The annoying thing is that they are putting back the old 'stained' headliner after cleaning it. That isn't good enough in my opinion.
  • Just had our new 2013 Escape for 11 days. Was loving it, but just noticed that water has been coming in through somewhere and soaking the headliner. Reason I know is because of a water stain on the headliner around the top of the frame on the driver's side. I notice from previous comments on this forum about the same issue. Seems like the new escape is prone to this problem.
    Be interesting to see how many people have had this issue.
    We don't have a sun roof on ours so that can't be blamed.
    A previous poster is correct when they say that it sucks the joy out of new car ownership.
    I have been in contact with Ford and awaiting a response from them and will talk to my dealer tomorrow.
    I will post when I find out more. I certainly don't want a brand new car in for repairs for days and a new headliner to hide other damage caused by the water getting in.
  • Sounds like someone on the windshield assembly line needs to be retrained. Of course the caulking could be the culprit. Geez, so many variables when it comes to this kind of stuff. Sometimes when I work on my vehicles the smallest of jobs turns into a big pain in the butt. It just reminds me of "if you want something done right then do it yourself". Of course we all can't go to the Ford factory and watch our vehicles get built, let alone build them ourselves!! Sorry about the rant cause I feel for you folks having problems.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    I hope you had the dealer sub this work to a glass shop, the dealers do not do this type of work if they did your windshield will never be like the original installation.
  • wcutlipwcutlip Posts: 1
    If you haven't purchased a car yet, would like to give my opinion on 2013 Ford Escape. Have had the SEL for almost a month now. Has 2100 miles on it. Downsizing from 8 cyl Mercury Mt. The 2013 with turbo boost was the only 4 cyl that accomodated my 8 cyl lead foot. Also test drove the Honda CRV and Chevy Equinox. No to both, not enough power. Got 28.4 MPG on a trip. About 20 around town. Everyone that drives it is impressed with it's "zippy" "snappy" driving. It does drive like a car, not an SUV. Is fun to drive. The backup camera and blind spot indicators I love. No sign of leaky roof yet as others are complaining about. Although I have noticed that the radio will turn off for no reason. The "kick the foot under the back bumper to open the hatch" is also handy when your hands are full but you seem to have to kick it just in the right spot. And you must kick, waving or swiping your foot won't work. Got the SEL to get the leather interior with power seats but I do have serious issues with the seats. They are hard, uncomfortable. And they are about an inch or two too short. Anyone over 5ft is gonna have issues with the seating. And unless you are 6ft tall and can move the seat all the way back the arm rest is worthless. It is too low and too far back. Arms get pretty tired just hanging there. Have since purchased a large piece of foam to rest my arm on. But then it covers up the only "storage" for cell phone, etc that the driver has access too, which are two cup holders. The storage under the armrest is too deep to be any use. You will have to dig and dig to find anything. Glove box is roomy but driver can't reach it. There is some storage in door. The passenger seat is the only place you have to put purse, keys, phones, etc. So I make everyone ride in the back seat...just kidding. The SYNC my ride is absolutely worthless in my opinion. I seriously suggest anyone buying this car test drive it for at least an hour. Esp if you have back problems. The seats are my main issue with this car. And others that have drivin it notice right off that the edge of the seat does extend out far enough and causes serious stress on your legs. The seats need more padding or some springs or something and the seat bottom needs refashioned. Ford supposedly fashioned these seats after high end office chairs. These seats are not high end cos I have a comfortable office chair and these seats 'ain't' it!!
  • There is a part of me that is feeling the same way. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have bought an American car. The only exception being my Jeep, which is more of a road going tractor than a car. Leaks and rattles are all part of its appeal, and the concept of fit and finish doesn't apply the same way on a vehicle with drain holes in the floorboard. Our last normal road car was an Infiniti G37 and it was flawless. We really loved that car, but we needed something that was baby friendly. I had come to believe that the American auto makers have really done a lot to improve their quality in the last few years and are now on-par with the Japanese competition, and the Escape was the only small SUV that didn't completely bore us. Now we have all these problems. I'm still not ready to say that the problems that others and I have had are anything more than statistical outliers, but we'll see. The replacement car we are getting on the 3rd is supposed to have gone through a much more rigorous inspection and build process. If that car has problems, then I guess I was at least wrong about buying this car, maybe about U.S. makers in general, and it may just make me go back to a Japanese maker.

I do wonder what is behind them choosing to fix your vehicle, when they replaced mine. Is it because when I had the problem, Ford had yet to see it, and thus hadn't isolated the cause and found a fix? Is it a dealership issue? I'm just curious what determines what customer gets what resolution. Maybe it was my extremely pregnant wife waddling into the dealership with tears in her eyes two days after picking up the car. Also, we did drop the car off on a Saturday and told them that under no circumstances did we want it back. The bank check hadn't even been processed by the finance dept.
    I do hope they can get it resolved to your satisfaction.
    I have only had my Titanium 4 days but trip home was 31.2 mpg all Interstate at 65mph about 22 miles and low A/C. Some rolling hills. Over the last three days with 60% hwy and 40% stop and go it shows 26.2. So far it has been flawless with no issues.

Built on 8/14. I will do the calculator mpg thing after just filling it up over the week end. It seems to visually be fine for fit and finish and everything works. I hope all of you with issues can get them resolved because with about 20,000 of these on the road I hope that the ones with issues are the small percentge any manufacturer is going to have. The Honda forum which I looked at before buying about 10 Honda's in a row also had some owners that were not happy. The happy owners usually never post to forums has been my experience.
    I hope for a speedy resolution to all your issues. If you can get things going I think you will like the vehicle.
  • I have a 2.0 SEL FWD on order and I will let you know as soon as I get it. By the way, how long does it take for an order to come in? I didn't get a good answer from my dealer. They said 4 weeks or so.
  • We're planning to purchase a 2013 Escape SEL AWD within the next 6 months. We live in SW Michigan (flatlanders) and I'm thinking the 1.6L would be fine for everyday driving. We like to travel and here's where the advice is needed. We're planning future trips to several national parks (eg Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite) - obviously this involves a lot of mountain driving! Would the 1.6L engine have adequate power to comfortably take on the uphill climbs (BTW we won't be towing a boat or trailer) and enough "kick" for passing the RVs on the two lane roads? or should we upgrade to the 2.0L?
    We're two 60 something retirees and we don't need the extra HP for "show."
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 550
    With the type of mountain driving that you are going to do, I would upgrade to the 2.0. The difference in gas mileage will be neglible. The 2.0 will give you a degree of safety when passing in the mountain terrain.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited August 2012
    You think he really needs the 2.0L for the <1% of the overall time he will own the vehicle...? Really poor purchasing choice.
  • nortdnortd Posts: 13
    I have a 2012 thaT HAS THE SAME IDENTICAL PROBLEM..TOOK SAME BACK TO THE DEALER THREE TIMES AND IT never ACTS UP WHEN THEY HAVE IT. THE PROBLEM ONLY HAPPENS EVERY SO OFTEN...MAYBE TWO DAYS BEFORE THE SAME PROBLEM. STILL NO FIX FOR ME..If you get your problem resolved please post same as I am getting desperate.

2012 escape 4 cyl XLT auto
    I had same type of decision and decided on 2.0. Titanium. After adding that 2.0 engine to the SEL it puts you close to the Titanium price (comes with 2.0) after also adding the Parking Technology package to SEL. I wanted Parking Technology for the safety features. I would highly recommend the Parking Technology package it is great. I do not need the parallel parking piece but the blind side alerts and reverse camera are very helpful. The gas mileage difference will be small. I had a incident going to Florida where three lanes became two and since I was not familiar with the area I had to floor the prior car I was in to get out of the way of a Semi that was coming over from the third land reduced to two. There was not much happening when I floored it. If you only use the more power in one situation it will be worth the price rather than get in a dangerous situation. That may never happen but I just did not want to being thinking "I wish I would have opted for the bigger engine." Getting over 26 mpg in daily drives of 60/40 Interstate/City driving. Only has about 300 miles but everything works fine and I am really enjoying driving the vehicle.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 550
    Yes I do. Much more enjoyable drive. Extra power when required.
  • Thanks for your insight - I'm also interested in the backup camera and BLIS - similarly the auto parallel parking feature has little appeal to me.