Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• Just checked it out, the light was off when I started it up, then I hit the door lock button & the light turned on. I'm going with that as well.
  • al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    Sometimes when I come out of a store I will sit in car for a few minutes listening to a radio program before leaving and wondered how do I turn on radio with push button start and no accessory switch with keyed ignition.
    Manual say leave foot off brake and push start button that puts you in accessory mode. Then put foot on brake and repeat when ready to drive.
    One less thing you have to look up.

Thanks to all of you that have provided a wealth of information over the past two month while I was shopping.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,853
    So does that mean when it gets to E on the gauge there's still another 1-2 gallons left in the tank???

Probably but I wouldn't push it. The fuel in the tank is what keeps the fuel pump cool. Going to far to E regularly could shorten the life of the fuel pump.
  • Ya, I just wanted to do it once so I would know how many gallons I have that's usuable, just wished they kept it 16.5 gallons so we could get a little extended range.
  • A suggestion to those owners having water leak problems. Since it sounds like Ford is guessing as to the fix required, before agreeing to their "fix", ask that the headliner be removed and then take the vehicle through a car wash. The true source of the leak should be apparent.

Since a new headliner should be installed anyway, because how can anyone tell how much water has been absorbed by the backing/padding, removing the headliner as part of the investigation into the cause of the leak shouldn't be a issue.
  • rman66rman66 Posts: 21
    edited September 2012
    I used to work at Ford motor as an engineer at a manufacturing plant and responsible for the full body which included sealing although on a different car. I want to chime in here with my thoughts on the water leak issue that many of you have been experiencing

Some background-
    Unibody structure vehicles of which I suspect the Escape is one, are assembled from sheet metal that is stamped and welded mostly by robots on the transferline. The process is continually improved from a quality and spec standpoint. Once the steel structure is welded, door assemblies are bolted onto the body structure that includes all the steel that makes up the car, it goes through the body sealing process which is mostly done by humans assisted by robots on the transferline. This is a crucial step because the sheetmetal has lots of daylight holes all over after being assembled that need to be sealed up. Workers use sealant guns to squirt the semi solid whitish substance (looks like caulk) into different parts and along the various nooks and crannies of this steel structure. Any process that can be automated, could be handed off to robots. Other washers, rubber grommets are inserted to seal up other areas of the vehicle. The car then goes through series of cleansing and coating baths where it is dipped in various chemicals (phosphate bath etc) that bond onto the sheet metal and assist in downstream paint process. Subsequently, the structures go through the paint process and then enter the oven where the body sealant and the paint bake and solidify filling in all those nooks and crannies to give you a nice sealed structure. This atleast is the intent.

What really happens -
    Sometimes the workers miss squirting the sealant in the areas, sometimes they might squirt too little or in the wrong place because there was a substitute worker in place of another who was familiar with the process. Sometimes there is a design defect in that the sealant is not prescribed where it should be. Anyway, there are many reasons for leaks and a lot of chance for error to creep in but over time they (the manufacturing plant teams) tend to figure it out and fix these issues.

The plant gets continuous feedback from the field including dealers and customers. In the case of Escape, I bet there is an engineer who is racking his brains out to find the root cause for the waterleak that is common on the escape.

I know because I racked my brains on a water leak in the dash on the vehicle that I worked on at Ford. It was like a total mystery as I spent hours sending my cars through car washes trying to figure out the source. We tried everything to fix the damn leak including adjusting the joint near where the A-pillar meets the structure that holds the instrument panel , couple that with squirting the sealant in different areas. When we finally fixed it, I could still not really be comfortable that it was fixed for sure.

I think the Escape is too new, they might very likely still be in the process of figuring out the root cause for the leak and if they did, the knowledge and the skill to transfer it to the various dealerships across the country could take time. I wouldn’t be too surprised if a dealer tried to fix the leak and you see the leak again because fixing a leak can be extremely complex as I have explained above.

So what can I do as a potential buyer? I think the Escape is an awesome vehicle, I have never been so attracted to an SUV as I am to the Ford Escape. I will however wait for a few months until they stabilize some of these issues such as leaks and I am sure there are many other issues on all these new vehicles just starting to roll off the plant. So if you buy a new vehicle in its 1st year of production you take the risk of inheriting many issues. year after year they get better as they continue to resolve the issues and lean and improve the vehicle.
    Own Titanium 2.0 fwd.
    Thanks that is an eye opener and better than seeing a few videos on TV of cars being made. It explains in detail what happens on a phase of the production line and makes sense. Your analogy of daylight holes was great and I could envision somewhat how that would look. I did not wait a year more like 6 months after start of production and gratefully have had no leaks. It is amazing to see how people with the same problem get various responses from their dealers. I have read about one that had vehicle replaced and one that was told point blank do not expect vehicle to be replaced. Of all the cars owned I think Acura was the only company that I felt would have done some things to solve problems that no other manufacturer would have. More of a perception than an actual narrative as I had zero problems with that vehicle and gratefully that has been the same with the 2013 Escape.

I remember seeing one video that showed one phase of the process and people were hitting/beating the cars with wooden or rubber mallets to make sheet metal fit and align properly. Not sure if that still goes on today but the process appeared to be pretty brutal instead of a clean room experience.

Thanks
  • Thank you, I am glad it helped.

Question on your 2.0 Titanium, you said you waited 6months after production. Has the 2013 Escape been out that long already? I thought the 13 models come up just now, maybe they made an exception and launched earlier then

I am salivating at the prospect of owning the Escape literally. It is the best looking SUV I think in the market today and gives the Audi Q5 a run for its money. If it handles as well as the 2012 did, then we have a clear winner here.

Since I used to be a Ford employee, I am thinking I might be able to get one under the X plan. I am not sure if the best dealers can beat the X plan prices by negotiation or competitive shopping. Have any of you negotiated hard on this? where are the best prices? Certainly not the Seattle area as I had poor experience with dealerships and prices . I tend to buy my cars at the best possible prices even if it means travelling to a nearby state and picking it up there. There is usually a thread on discussion on prices but I dont see that on the 2013 Escape yet.
    I think they were on dealer lots in April or early May and suspect some inventory was produced some time before that. I could have this time frame wrong but somebody will know and correct it possibly on this forum.
    I found one dealer in Missouri that was selling them at invoice minus their holdback. Ford had 1000.00 dealer cash to help with that pricing but they were very aggressive on any trim level. Look on ebay as that is how I found them and you will see some Titanium's at around 30,000 last I looked that have a sticker of more like 34,000. Just follow the link to their dealership and you can view the window sticker and see thier price. 2000.00 off was also available from another Missouri dealer I found on ebay and they gave me a little more for my trade so I bought locally rather than the other side of the state.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,823
    edited September 2012
    There are some 2013 pricing posts in the Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion.

Probably should drop the Tribute part but we still get people asking about buying used ones now and then.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I just bought mine less than 30 days ago and complained within first two days that I was getting carbon monoxide in the cab of the car. They said something needed to burn off as it was new (although I never had a new car that had to have this done) but now 900 miles later I am still having problems. Am I the only one? I know everything is redesigned but this can't be an anomoly. I can't keep driving with the air conditioner on and recycling the air.

Are there any other people with this complaint?
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    Job 1 began on 4/9/12 and the retail order build began on 5/10/12, mine was built on 7/9/12. I don't have any leaks, all my panels are aligned perfectly and it's been a perfect car. I wonder if the recently trained new hires started working shifts and as you stated, there's a learning curve. You would know better than me, but my guess is they began building vehicles earlier in the year to fine tune robots and equipment, build cars for executives, reviewers, car shows and testing. Vehicles began showing up on lots in the Minneapolis/St Paul area around the second week of May.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,161
    I think we'll drop the Tribute part... Last time I checked (about 4-5 months ago), they still had them on the Mazda website... all gone now..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited September 2012
    I have not experienced that issue, but that's a serious situation and I'd go back to the dealership and have them check it out. Catalytic converters used to make a nasty rotten egg smell for a period when the were new, but I don't think that's the case anymore. If they give you a line about needing to "burn" something off, ask them to be more specific because an exhaust leak puts you and your family at risk. Don't become one of those annoying dicks that make demands and stomps their feet at the service department, but I'd insist they check for misaligned pipes or loose fittings. If they won't do it, go to another dealership.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Since carbon monoxide is odorless are you sure you're not smelling the "leavings" of common mould and mildew spores.?
    It sounds like he, or she, is smelling exhaust fumes.
  • Unfortunately, my new SEL FWD leaks too. Noticed yesterday after the first rain the car was in. Water on the fabric just above the plastic on the post between windshield and drivers door. Plan to go to dealer early this week. Will post what happens. If I was to guess, I would say it leaks where roof rack is connected.

VIN 1fmcu0h91dua81928
  • This is not good news, especially since the other two VIN # posted with leaks were built 6/25 and 6/29. Yours is a 8/16 build date. That's a pretty wide spread which leads me to believe its not just "old" or "defective" caulking. Either a bad design or the process is seriously flawed. Very bad news.
  • My husband is picking ours up tomorrow. So excited! Will give feedback as the vehicle reveals itself to me.
  • My dealer said they can find no water leaks. They also said Ford has no known issues with 2013 Escapes leaking. They said water just splashed in. Lol. Noting else I can do now until next rain.

Note: I do not have a sunroof.
  • Then what in the world caused the lines are your headliner?
  • We decided on the 2013 Escape Titanium AWD. We appreciate the input.
  • Hey!! I have been reading alot. I have a brand new 9/12 2.0 Ecoboost SEL I bought last night. I am trying to find out if I am the only one that has this VERY LOUD idle sound like a small diesel engine even if the A/C is not on, etc. I turned it on in the drive and in the garage and you can't even have a conversation when standing next to it! I didn't notice noise due to cabin while test driving. Is this normal?? So Far I Love It. Also bought at 2013 Explorer Limited last week. That is REALLY nice. Different engine, can't compare.... should I contact the dealer about this noise?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    If it that loud, something is wrong. I would contact the dealer at once.
  • No. It shouldn't be loud. My Titanium is very quiet. Go back to the dealer.
  • Does anyone else have problems getting the entertainment section to select your phone so you can play music through it via Bluetooth? I have an iPhone 4s. Also, when we added my daughter's phone as the non primary, it stopped being able to select my phone for music altogether so we had to take hers off.
  • escapeismescapeism Posts: 39
    edited September 2012
    I have the 4s and no problems playing music via bluetooth. When you try to play music, on your phone go to the page that shows the song playing(I think that page) and at the bottom you will see an icon for switching between playing over bluetooth or not. The one thing I can tell you is make SURE your phone has the latest firmware and is clean as a whistle without extra crap on it. Let me explain myself. When I paired my iphone 4s to my new Titanium for the first time, everything was fine. Then, about a week later I tried using the voice command to make a phone call. Didn't work. So I go by the dealer and we both try everything under the sun to make a voice prompted phone call. Nothing. So I get home and call Sync and thank goodness I talk to someone who just recieved an interoffice memo about a glitch. Apparently when Sync imports your contacts, if any of them have those cute little smilely faces ( gif file or similar icon) it messes things up. Well, my daughter had put hearts and smiles next to her contact name. As soon as I corrected that, did a hard reset of the iphone, did a master reset of Sync, everything works perfectly.

What I'm saying folks is the Sync guy I talked to says people are calling in complaining, but not realizing that their phones are corrupting the Sync system in some way or another. if you don't format a USB drive or SD card before you stick it into Sync then Sync might pick up a cold or get the sniffles. Hope this helps someone, cause I won't get those 2 hours of my life back.

PS. I'm running on iOS 6, the latest.
    PSS. Even my texting works!!
  • This is kind of a surprise to me that your 2.0 AWD has the ECO feature I have a FWD 2.0 but the "flower" is grayed out. In the owners manual it mentions the vehicle come with it enabled but must be turned off at the dealer. During my first 1,000 miles my avg mileage has been 22-23 mpg. Is the eco acceleration/anticipation found on another screen or on the main home screen?
  • sportclimbersportclimber Posts: 5
    edited October 2012
    I have had my Titanium for 5 days now. 800 miles and am some sort of Jedi Eco Master (just kidding). I frequently have all leaves green on Anticipation and Speed, hard to do as our speed here in Colorado is 75 MPH. The Leaf screen is to the 'right' of the MPG screen (just right arrow over to next screen).
    I really like this car and have seen 54 MPG going DOWN the mountain and my last tank, real world was 25.2 MPG from a long mountain trip.
    I'm still experimenting with the SPORT shifting for better miliage.
    I also have a late 'A' series build and sun roof but, knock on wood no leaks yet!
  • cbc410cbc410 Posts: 20
    What ever happened with this inquiry. I still am getting around 16 mpg all city driving with some hills.