Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• Thanks. I did find the battery saver feature and confirmed that the lights do go off after 10 minutes. I still don't see the purpose of having tail and parking lights lit when you lift the tailgate. But I guess it's no big deal.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,627
    edited October 2012
    Please report your mpg for the 2013's in the 2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage discussion. Thanks!

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Could it be to alert you that the lift gate is open from outside the car? Just a guess. On our RX330 the front and rear parking lights blink while the gate is closing or opening, but go off with a fully open/ closed gate.
  • jrock83jrock83 Posts: 10
    Is anyone else having any excessive tire noise coming from the right front? I think it is just the tire and will get the dealership to check it out if it hasn't cleared up in a few hundred miles.
    Can vouch for that. My iPhone 4 doesn't do the text to talk feature. Everything else seems to work though.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,977
    Have you updated to IOS6 and delete you existing sync connection and re-pair?

This is what I was able to find:

Thank you for your email in regards to your SYNC and iPhone.

The Text Messaging has never worked with iPhones and SYNC in the past, because the iPhones did not have the Message Access Profile (MAP).

Now that Apple has added the MAP with the new iOS6, theoretically the Text Messaging should now work, but we are still in the testing stages of the iOS6 to see how well the Text Messaging will work now. However, due to the fact that the Apple is going to release follow up updates for the iOS6, we do not have any conclusive results just yet.

Please check back with us in about a month, and we should have more information on this subject then.

Sincerely,

Ford Motor Company
    SYNC Support Center
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,627
    edited October 2012
    Sounds like Apple not playing nice with other companies as much as anything. Since they are pushing more into the car app area there's some competitive reasons for them not to completely integrate with other OSs running apps. Like focusing on getting their stuff to work and not worrying as much about the other offerings out there. Ditto Google.

Plus Ford has their hands full trying to stay out in front. Early adoption teething pains.

13 apps and counting for Ford (Detroit News)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• We have had our 2013 SE 1.6l ecoboost for about 3 weeks and 4300km. So far It has been great except for the Mytouch. I had a heck of a time syncing my htc desire phone. I finally got it when I dumped most of the phone numbers on the phone. It can't sync over 1000 phone numbers.

The real issue thought is the whole My Touch system went blank for 2 days then came alive as if nothing was wrong. When it failed the radio worked but you couldn't change Channels. All the voice and touch controls didn't work as well as the screen was dead too. I will have to the dealer this week and was hoping if anyone has has similar issues.

We took it for a weekend trip (1600 km) and the Escape performed great. The nav system performed as expected, the vehicle really is comfortable and handles well, and performance was impressive for a 4 cylinder engine. Mileage was around 30 mpg ( imperial gallon) which I anticipate will improve over time. Over all I am very impressed. I just hope the My Touch issues can be resolved.
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    I have the Ford Escape as a rental car (our Honda 2010 CRV was hit in the rear last week). I ahd the same thing occur to me. The radio wouldn't shut off - WTF was that!!. After I pulled the key out of the ignition and shut the door- it finally turned off. The car doesn't have Navi - it is a SEL. I will post my comments on the drive after a few more days and compare to the CRV. Initially, the dash is really nice, it has less room in the rear for sure and the rear seats don't slide back like the CRV, but I find the dash controls [radio] confusing and too complicated for the average driver.
  • It has been 3 or 4 weeks with lots of rain and a few car washes and no leaks. Ever since the dealer found nothing the problem has been gone. Strange, but I am happy its gone.
  • jlrahnjlrahn Posts: 7
    It will not turn off until you open the door. There is nothing wrong with it. I thought the same thing at first but when you open the door it will turn off
  • southtxsouthtx Posts: 14
    I didn't believe my wife when she said the radio stayed on after she'd shut down and exited the vehicle... but I saw it msyelf yesterday. I also saw the radio turn it self on at the end of a phone call (when it wasn't on before) and then refuse to shut off on two separate occsasions. Wife says if you press the 'M' button of the steering wheel repeatedly for a minute or so, eventually the power button will work... but she usually just turns the volume down. Seriously?? Ford people read these forums... so where are the answers? They know it's broken and they don't know how to fix it... yet they continue to sell new vehicles. If the new ones don't have the problem, then I want one of those. I paid for it, damnit. Ford has made it clear, though, that the radio and MFT not working as advertised is just an inconvenience, and they won't be taking any extraordinary action to make owners happy. I think they know it's too late to make me happy... but they won't need to worry about it anymore after this vehicle.
  • mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    edited October 2012
    I have an 05 and a 2010 Escape,the prices are up quite a bit. Might be looking at a new one
    but even with x plan and 1500 discount,still seems high to me, if you want to load it up.
    Might as well get an RDX with a nice high mileage v6.
    Really will have to research these new ones.
    Old Mike
  • cbc410cbc410 Posts: 20
    I have had the same thing happen to me a couple times. It seems like it looses connection with itself. Not sure what to do about it. Hopefully they will be working on a software update.
    Yes, that happened to me once and a couple other times the radio came on on its own and I couldn't shut it off. I eventually got it turn off but don't know what happened. Must be a connection or software issue.
    No I haven't, but thanks for the info! I may way until I see a jailbroken version of iOS 6 before I upgrade though.
    1. As others said, the radio shuts off when you open the door.
    2. Nav is an option. My SEL doesn't have it either. Besides that, who needs an expensive nav system when you have to pay to update it every year and your smartphone updates automatically for free...
    2a. Sync turn by turn directions are great. Tested it a couple of times and was impressed. Also the Sync app for your smartphone is pretty cool.
    3. I like the soft touch of the dash and door panels too. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the build quality of the interior altogether.
    4. Yeah they don't slide, but they do recline. Not sure if the CRV does that...
    5. ANY new car stereo you have to take the time to learn how to use it. Even your CRV. Just sayin', don't knock it until you take the time to learn it.

That being said, I have experience some delay from the touch screen. Not sure what that's about but it acts like it is having trouble processing information. It did not do it at first so I may stop by the dealership and see if there are any others experiencing the problem.
    Did this research myself. A fully loaded Titanium comes out to about $36,000. An RDX with comprable equipment comes out to about $42,000. RDX is also redesigned for this year so will likely have the same type of first year bugs that the Escape is having. I opted to build an SEL and got it for $28,000 with the $1,500 customer cash rebate. I did not even drive the RDX because, for my dollar, the Escape offers much better value. So I suppose you can take my comments with a grain of salt...
  • clk5clk5 Posts: 3
    Are you still having the exhaust problem? Bought a new Escape Sat. and today, Mon. it's back at the dealer to be checked. We let it idle for 5 mins and thought it smelt like exhaust. THis morning, let it warm up 10 mins and I could not stand the exhaust smell. Hoping to have it solved by end of the day. Let me know how you made out.
    Did that work? Put mine out in the rain last night and it leaked in the same place. Dealer said it was the caulking around the window and will be having a glass guy come out tomorrow and recaulk. Will see if that works or not
    Did the sealant revision work? Mine just went in the shop today for the same leak (only on the driver's side) and they are recaulking the windshield. Sounds like they have a protocal of first windshield, then roof rack and then sealant. Lemon laws in California only give them four chances before they have to replace or refund car.
  • How do yo turn on the eco mode?
    All I see is a grey disabled flower on the gas mileage trip screen.
    If I select right arrow, I get perfect eco mode score no matter how I drive.
    There should be a way to activate it so I see partial flowered on the gas millage screen.
  • The calendar in my Titanium is off by a day, and it seems that the GPS sets the clock and no adjustment is possible. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Other than this minor issue, my wife and I are very pleased with the vehicle. On a recent 1400 km trip we averaged 8.2 litres/100 km (regular gas), driving between 100 and 110 kph. The route was about half flat and a half hilly.
  • that's strange. I would reboot the system. Which brings the question how do I do that? I don't know but it is possible. I crossed a timezone and the clock updated within 5 minuites. That gas mileage is consistent with mine.
  • I factory-ordered a new Escape. For some reason the dealer could not locate a black SEL with moonroof, tow package, grey interior, and a 2.0L! I wanted the $795 Nav package, but was told I would have to buy a $2,000+ technology package to get it. Same with the roof rack - buy the expensive cargo management package to get it. It turns out that while I could not have the roof rack as a separate factory-installed option, it is available through the dealer's parts department. Go figure! It turns out that the roof rack has a 40lb load limit with the moonroof, so I probably won't bother!

My two beefs are:

1. Car was built in Louisville on October 17, but it will be nearly 4 weeks before it is delivered to me.

2. I would like the nav maps without the frills of the other technology add-ons. And news on its availability as a dealer upgrade?

Looking forward to the new vehicle which is replacing a 2003 Explorer (175K miles).
  • american_cootamerican_coot Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I have a new Titanium escape, all options but trailer package and leather interior. I love the thing. Just drove from Seattle to Tucson, it was more comfortable for both my wife and me than my Audi A3, handled great, had plenty of pep. BUT

The navigation system only takes voice commands when the car is in motion. Why can't my wife enter destinations etc. on the screen while I'm driving? The voice recognition system needs help. I ask for the La Quinta hotel where we are staying in Twin Falls. (They take pets at no charge!) The nav system doesn't recognize La Quinta no matter how you pronounce it. So, I cancel and revert to asking for a list of hotels in Twin Falls, La Quinta isn't on the first page and the touch screen doesn't respond to a touch request to scroll to the next page. (I think the verbal command is "next page" but I'm not sure.) By this time the "feature" of not allowing me or my wife to use the screen - austensibly for safety purposes, is contributing to a road rage frame of mind. Why can't the thing at least sense when someone is in the passanger seat and allow the screen to work then?

The manual, by the way, is minimal and at least sometimes wrong.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,977
    2. I would like the nav maps without the frills of the other technology add-ons. And news on its availability as a dealer upgrade?

Nope, the nav is sold only with the 302A technology package.
  • reh999reh999 Posts: 3
    I am having a problem with engine fumes being sucked in from the engine compartment through the air intake for the heating and air condition inlet, which is located next to the wiper blades.
    This is very noticable when sitting at idle, not while driving.
    Has anyone else smelled these fumes when idling and taken their Escape back to the dealer about the problem?
  • clk5clk5 Posts: 3
    We had our 1st new Escape for 2 days and took it back to the dealer because of exhaust fumes in the interior. Turned out it was a cracked turbo charger and we likely would have gotten monoxide poisoning had we kept it. Anyway, it was fixable, but we chose to take our 2nd new Escape. That's been two days ago, and we are loving it. Like yours, ours was noticeable when idling.
  • al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    edited October 2012
    http://bilet.pp.ru/calculator/convert_mpg_to_l_per_100km.php

For all of us Yankees that have no clue when our Canadian friends give their mpg in metric the above link will convert for you.

When are they going to get rid of the metric system it makes no sense at all.
    Ehhhh

I have some great Canadian friends and they are some of my favorite people so pulling your leg a bit.