Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Honda Accord

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,675
    or the summary....

1st Place: 2013 Honda Accord EX
    The Accord is once again the epitome of good taste in the four-cylinder midsize sedan class. It's quicker, more fuel-efficient and overall more enjoyable to drive than the Toyota, and it has a nicer cabin to boot.

2nd Place: 2012 Toyota Camry LE
    We won't stop you from buying a Camry, especially if you like a compliant ride. But its automatic transmission isn't as responsive as Honda's CVT, and its interior belongs to a lower income bracket.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    edited September 2012
    Completely agree the design is a flop.

It looks exactly like a 2011 Hyundai Azera. Yuck!

Front Azera view

Rear Azera view

Accord gallery
    edited September 2012
    I like the looks a lot, but whatever you think about the style, the new Accord has it where it counts with best in the midsize 4 cylinder class 0-60 time. Motor Trend clocked the Sport 6MT at 6.8 seconds 0-60. That model has a nice price of $23,390 + 790 dest.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1209_2013_honda_accord_first_test/spe- - cs.html
  • After being told by a few different dealers that they expected to have cars in their showrooms by the end of the is week (9-14), I was told today that it would be the end of the month. Has anybody seen one at a dealership yet?
    edited September 2012
    Some have already arrived! If you look on youtube for 2013 Accord and sort by date, you can find a few early bird dealers giving us a sneak peek at their first all-new 2013 Accords just after they get them. Here's an example...

Officially they can't sell them till Sept. 19th, and I think they'll stick with that. And supplies will be short for a while, as demand likely will exceed supply for a month or two as production ramps up....
  • @benjaminh Thanks. I'm not sure of any that have received a 2013 in Louisiana. I know several expected them this week. It may be a case that they don't want to show the car until they can sell them. They don't seem to want to offer much information other than the trim levels.
    edited September 2012
    markitdown: You're welcome! Are you thinking of getting one? If so, which one? I think many dealers hide the new model in the back of their lots or under a cover on the showroom until it's really close to the Sept. 19th intro. But in any case we have less than a week to wait!

I'm thinking of getting one. As you can see in my post in midsize sedans 2.0, I'm considering a 2013 Accord Sedan EXL Navi in Basque Red Pearl with white leather interior. Looks sharp! Next is timing. I don't think I want to be in on the madness of the first couple of months. I'm hoping that by the end of November maybe I can score one at a bit less than msrp. But maybe I'll need to wait until the new calendar year sometime....That factory in Ohio that makes Accords can make up to 400,000 a year when it's going at full tilt, and so there should be plenty to go around in a few months.
  • markitdownmarkitdown Posts: 8
    edited September 2012
    benjaminh: I am leaning towards getting an EX-L also. I have the same mindset regarding timing. I have a feeling dealers are going to be getting close to full sticker for about 6 weeks. I spoke with a dealer (not salesman) who said they would trickle in for a few weeks, but they expected to have good inventory as it will be a high production car.

BTW, a salesman called me today to tell me they are getting one in today. I hope to check it out today or tomorrow.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    I saw a truckload [ 10, maybe ? ] on 316 north and east of Atlanta this AM.
    Heading toward Atlanta.
    - Ray
    Just 1 data point.....
    markitdown: Once you've seen it, I hope you'll give us a report!
    rayainsw: Good to hear that they are arriving on trucks and trains across the country. Are you thinking of getting one too?
    The V6 is currently on my short list....
    Everything you want to know and probably quite a bit more than that:

http://www.netcarshow.com/honda/2013-accord/
  • One of the dealers in the area got in three today. 2 EX and 1 EX-L. They were just unloaded before I got there, this afternoon, and the dealer was prepping them up in the service dept.. I was able to take a test sit today and I hope to take a test drive tomorrow.

Some impressions: Fit and finish appear to be excellent. All gaps between body panels are the same and everything lines up, which I appreciate. Lots of little details. There's a small lip that runs along the bottom of the rear bumper that conceals two small reflector strips on either side. The door makes a solid "klump" sound as it closes. Nicely done rear lights.

The driver's seats are altogether different than the 2012 seats: more padding, supportive feel, and the hard lumbar lump is gone. When you do use the adjustable lumbar support in the 2013, it is soft and pliable. Basically, the seats are fixed.

The interior is upscale, almost glitzy. Although I can see it in the online photos, but in person, its more noticeable to me that the interior has some metallic detailing going on in the center console area. That's the glitzy part. The feeling inside is wide open and airy. The exterior has a classic, classy look.

The truck had a white LX that was going to another dealer. The LX had alloy wheels which look really sweet. They are different than the EX/EX-L wheels, but look great.

I hope to drive one tomorrow to see how the new engine tech, CVT and suspension come together to turn my commute into something I will look forward to.
    accorder: thanks for that great report. Sounds like an outstanding car.

We're eager to hear about your test drive! Give us a report when you can. what model are you thinking of getting?
    edited September 2012
    I drove the new accord, and It drives great. It's definitely a smooth transmission with responsive throttle. Like many of you, I was worried Honda would lose road feel by switching from the double wishbone suspension, but that is not the case. There was plenty of road feedback and crisp handling. The steering is a little soft, but sharper than the Altima or Camry. All of the materials and finish seemed high quality and well done, although I did not have time to study everything as much as I would have liked. The leather had a more European or Acura feel to it. It was impressive. I am going to drive it again in a couple of weeks and take my time. They had Silver, white, and Modern Steel Metallic. The Modern Steel Metallic is charcoal, but it has a little blue to lighten it slightly. Living in the south, I need a light color with light interior to cope with the heat so it will be Alabaster Silver Metallic, White Orchard Pearl, or Champagne Frost Pearl for me.
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for this review. Sounds very promising. I agree that from the pix the EXL models look like something from Acura or an upscale European make. Glad to hear that your in-person impressions confirm that.

PS Honda releases quite thorough information about all aspects of their new models, including separate essays and info about engines, body, chassis, interiors, etc. You can find them at the Honda corporate website:

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/honda-automobiles-accord
    edited September 2012
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/automobiles/autoreviews/accord-once-more-with-- - - - no-nonsense.html?ref=automobiles

"....The basic designs of midsize sedans are so similar that it’s tempting to lump them together and assume that each is as good as the others — just go with the one that has the most features you like. And almost all of the cars in this market segment are very good. But this new Accord is excellent."

First 2013 Accord Ad from Honda. Classy 1 minute 30 second tv ad with actual content:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avs6Au11L3A

For magazines, I wish Honda would go back to text ads like they had in the 1980s and 1990s. Back then they'd actually have a fair amount of text, and tell you briefly, but with a bit of detail, what was so great about their cars. These days they usually just have just a tiny bit of text that tells you almost nothing next to a huge picture of the car. But there are so many new things about this car—from the dash, to the engine and transmission, to the cameras, etc., that I think they should really sell it like this TV ad does in a way that respects our intelligence as consumers.
    edited September 2012
    I know we've just seen these new 2013 Accords trickle into showrooms, but be patient. There will be a plentiful supply shortly according to this article from Bloomberg. 6,000 cars are being manufactured per week.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-17/honda-makes-accords-at-record-pace-amid- - -midsize-car-fight.html

In my area, only 1 dealer has received a shipment of 6 Accords. The others are patiently waiting. I test drove the new accord along with every other midsize car on the market, and I think Honda is going to hit a home run with this car. I am going to wait 6 weeks for inventories to build and then pull the trigger. I am anxious to see what kind of deals people are getting. It's sometimes difficult to figure out the numbers on Edmunds because most buyers don't mention whether or not they traded a vehicle or if they received retail/wholesale for the trade.
    .. is now up on Honda's website.