Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda5 2013 - Changes?

exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
Has anyone found the changes for the 2013 models? My local dealers both told me their next order would be for 2013 models but they didn't give me any details on changes, if any.

Comments

• Options
    dclurkerdclurker Member Posts: 57
    Just rumors, but I've heard that the smiley face might be gone for 2013 and the 2014's could get a skyactiv powertrain.
  • Options
    Not much chance of the smiley face being gone after only one model year. My guess would be maybe new colors and bluetooth on the base (Sport) model.
  • Options
    Only one model year, but remember that the 2012's were introduced in early 2011, so it's closer to two calendar years.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123811441-2013-Mazda-5
  • Options
    True, and I believe the smiley face model was sold in Japan and elsewhere even before that.
  • Options
    Well, it's almost September, so we should find out for sure in another month or so. I've got a 2007 5 that I'm ready to trade in, but my wife refuses to drive a car that she says looks like Jack Nicholson as the Joker :(
  • Options
    I bought a 2012 Mazda5 Touring this last weekend!
  • Options
    Congratulations! I hope it serves you well for many years.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I'd wait until SkyActive technology comes to the Mazda5 to boost the MPG into the 30s. And I too think the joker face is pretty bad!
  • Options
    Looks are subjective. There are probably just as many people who like the smile as there are those who don't. I personally like the front ends on the newest Mazdas, the CX-5 and the 6. I'm hoping they put something similar on the 5 for 2013. I would imagine they'll put the 2.5 version of the SkyActive engine into the 2014 5, but I'm just guessing :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I didn't care about the SkyActive since the 2.0L is less power for a vehicle that's already a little underpowered. And I don't mind the smiley face, as I don't spend too much time standing in front of the car looking at it. It is really fun to drive. I also have a 2010 Mazda6, which is more comfortable but not as entertaining to drive.

I didn't know there was a 2.5L SkyActive.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    http://www.insideline.com/mazda/6/2014/2014-mazda-6-debuts-at-2012-moscow-auto-s- - - how.html

I don't care about the SkyActive engines either, although they are very fuel-efficient. I have a 2007 Mazda5 with the "old-fashioned" 2.3 engine. I've been very satisfied with it, so I'm sure I'd be happy with the 2.5 version that the 5 now has. The only thing holding me back from buying a new one is my wife's problem with the smile.
  • Options
    06scooby06scooby Member Posts: 3
    yeah we just bought a 2012 sport with the manual, because my wife actually liked the looks of the 2012 over the prev gen whereas I preferred the prev gen. But the extra refinement of the 2012 and 6 speed manual and a little more power won me over on the smiley front end. Now that we've had it a month, its growing on me, especially with some tinted windows. I was trying to wait to see what the changes were for 2013 before pulling the trigger, but with it being all new I can't imagine there would be many. We would have liked to have the standard bluetooth but I was afraid we'd see the availability of the manual transmission less or gone all together for the 2013 year. :cry:
  • Options
    I would LOVE to get a stick, but that's not going to happen. When we were first married, I tried to teach my wife how to drive one, but she just couldn't get the hang of it. I was successful, however, with our daughter. In fact, she just bought a CX-5 with the 6-speed manual.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your wife not picking it up. It was the exact opposite for me. My wife, when she was my new girlfriend asked me to teach her to drive on my subaru legacy at the time, and within a month she had me help her trade her old volvo in for something that was a manual tranny! she fell in love with it, and she has had one automatic since and in fact it only lasted a year and we just swapped it for the Mazda5!
  • Options
    You're a lucky guy. BTW, does your new 5 have a hill-holder? My daughter was pleasantly surprised to find that her CX-5 does. It makes hill starts a piece of cake.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm a lucky guy... one of the only guys that I can think of with a wife passionate about a stick shift! It does not have the hill holder...
  • Options
    rk2329rk2329 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

i am new to this forum and i am planning to buy a Mazda 5. Can anyone tell me when the 2013 models would be available in showrooms ?
  • Options
    sethmlsethml Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I just bought one yesterday - red Sport with manual transmission. Changes are minimal - as far as I can tell:
    • LED turn signals integrated into mirrors.
    • USB connection for stereo which speaks iPod/iPhone protocols.
    • Red color is a bit different (more of a shiny dark red than the previous orangey matte red).
    • There are some other changes on the higher-level trims, but you can only get them with a slushbox so I didn't pay attention.
    Otherwise, it's identical to the 2012. The only reason I got a 2013 is because I couldn't find a 2012 manual in red.