Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Toyota RAV4

2»

Comments

• bpollenbpollen Posts: 11
    I haven't made it to the dealership for a test drive yet of the 2013 RAV4. I test drove the 2011 a while back, but ended up not buying a new SUV that year. But I dread having to deal with the aggressive sales people at my local dealership to get to do a test drive, but I must. Anyway, when I test drove the 2011, I had also test driven the Subaru Forester, the Honda CRV, the VW Tiguan, the VW wagon, the Mutsubishi whatever, and the Hyundai Tucson. My impression of the 2011 RAV was that it was sort of truck like. I had to step up a bit to get inside, and it rode more like a truck than a crossover. A nice ride, but I felt like I was in my brother's truck, sort of. I had many other thoughts, too, and had a good impression of it, except for the truck feel. I was wondering if anyone ever had that impression of the RAV, or if the 2013 is not as much like a truck, since the seating has been lowered from the prior models. Any opinions on the feel of the ride would be appreciated.
  • kjtg1kjtg1 Posts: 12
    I had a 2006 and 2010 rave4 this one is rough rideing compared two those. This one is the liminted with 18 inch wheels.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    "The redesigned 2013 Toyota RAV4 earned a poor rating for performance in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's small overlap front crash test.

Toyota made additional changes to models built after April, improving the stability of the steering column and adding more padding under the footwell carpeting.

"The changes, however, weren't enough to lift the RAV4's performance in the small overlap test," said the IIHS. "A combination of poor structure and inadequate control of the dummy's movement prevented the RAV4 from earning better than a poor rating overall."

2013 Toyota RAV4 Earns Poor Rating in Small Overlap Crash Test

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    "Everything that made the RAV4 stand out in the previous generation is gone for 2013.

Instead of being a unique, outlying data point in the category, the 2013 Toyota RAV4 is just like every other crossover in the segment. Without that uniqueness, the Toyota is outmatched."

2012 Honda CR-V vs. 2013 Toyota RAV4 vs. 2014 Mazda CX-5 Comparison Test

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jpatrick2jpatrick2 Posts: 17
    Does the dash display that includes outside temp, trip meter and so on, include a digital speedometer?
    The power tailgate I tried at the dealer was extremely slow--is it possible to override the power function and push it down manually? I don't necessarly want to disable the motor, but it would be nice to be able to help it down.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    Ok, so I am looking at the rav4 for new purchase.

1. A sales men told me that there is no longer a power steering pump, that its electronic. Ok so I know a little something about cars so I looked this up. When he says electronic, it really means that the power steering is now a motor. Something that can break still is this true?

2. Same salesmen told me that you cant fill the transmission with fluid anymore. He said you no longer have to do it its lifetime, no dipstick. From what I read you still have to change it but have to do it from the differential on the bottom. So he is also misleading there and can also cause harm to your car. Anyone know the answer?

3. One dealer is saying they are the only dealer that gives a lifetime warranty on the power train. No mileage of year limitation. Yet they hide this sign in the back and don't display it where the customer can see it. Sound like a scam to you?

Just some questions?
  • Electric power steering and sealed transmissions have been around awhile and both seem to work well. As far as changing fluid, let your manual be your guide.
    My Dodge Dakota has a lifetime power train warranty provided by the manufacturer. It is simple enough, bring the truck in every 5 years for a free inspection. Have not had occasion to use it yet.
    However, if this is a dealer supplied warranty, I'd read the fine print long and hard, and I bet there is a lot of it.
2»