Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best '70's domestic instrument panel

2»

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,357
    That is a great panel! I particularly like the clock over on the passenger side.

One thing I didn't like GM doing around that time and later, is their using the 'casket handle' style pull on the doors.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    edited September 2012
    I'm somewhere in the middle with regards to that Buick full-size dashboard. I do think the overall style of it looks great, but I never did like that clock stuck over on the passenger side. Just seems kinda random to me. I also don't like the silver dials, although by the time it ended up in my grandmother's '85 LeSabre, the dials were black, and the clock was digital and integrated into the radio, so IMO the overall look was much better.

However. By 1985, the fake woodgrain had taken on a somewhat radioactive look that just didn't seem that pleasing to me. And, I always thought there was a lot of wasted space on the passenger side. They should have put the glovebox up higher in the dash, so it could have been larger. As it was, the glovebox was really tiny for a car this size.

Another beef I have with this dashboard is that, as far as I know at least, you could not get extra gauges with it, like you could on a Chevy, Pontiac, or Olds.

But, all that aside, it wouldn't keep me from bringing a nice LeSabre or Electra into my flock!

**Edit: one other thing I remember about my grandmother's LeSabre, is that the dash padding was a high quality stuff that had almost a leathery look to it. It never cracked, either. I've noticed that most cars that used this kind of stuff never did crack...the Mopar R-bodies used it as well. However, another variable might have been that the padding didn't go all the way to the windshield. there was a metal panel between the padding and the dashboard that you could pop off to get to the speakers, and possibly other things. So, that might have had something to do with it. On cars I've had where the padding went all the way to the windshield, like my '80 Malibu, '86 Monte Carlo, and '85 Silverado, they all cracked.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,357
    edited September 2012
    I did like the silver dials, as with the woodgrain I was reminded of barometers I'd see in nice offices--I link it with 'sophisticated'!

I think I know what you mean about the later 'woodgrain' on Buicks. If I'm remembering correctly, it resembled what Chevy used in '80-82 on Caprices and especially, Malibu Classics and Monte Carlos. A friend said it looked like 'brown paint when not stirred enough'. I agreed. In '83 on the Malibu and Montes, they started using a dark woodgrain that was rather flat in gloss, and used this on later Caprices too. I liked it much better than the earlier, shiny stuff.

You're right about cracked dashes...it's odd to not see a full-size Chevy, or Malibu or Monte Carlo, of the late '70's and early '80's without cracks on the top of the dash. Our '77 red dash never cracked in the 3+ years we owned it, but I knew a guy in college (I graduated in '80) with a '77 Caprice with black interior and it had a cracked dash at that point.
2»