Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How long has your MKV lasted (Mileage)

vwglivwgli Member Posts: 1
I just hit 80k, and I realized I have no idea when these things begin to fail. I have a 2007 VW GLI.

Obviously, it's going to vary, but I was hoping to get an idea.

Comments

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Well over 140K miles on 2003 Jetta TDI.

The front fenders have been repaired under the 12-year/unlimited-miles warrantee a couple times now.

Had to install Catalytic-converter and shocks around 120K miles.

Pulley fell off of the alternator about 3 months ago while on vacation 12 hours from home. VW dealer near Pittsburgh had us in and out within 24-hours. (even though their normal lead-time is about 2-weeks!!)

We plan on keeping this thing for another 100K+ miles.... unless someone else starts selling a 56MPG family-sedan.
  • Options
    michaelb1850michaelb1850 Member Posts: 1
    1999 Jetta GLS 2.0 automatic trans. 13 years and 275,000 mi and still going. No major repairs on the engine or trans other than timing belts (3) and a coolant pump. Inside I've had many of the cosmetic problems that others have had and had to replace the blower fan.
  • Options
    degarmodegarmo Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    HI!
    I live near Pittsburgh and noticed that you had a good experience with a mechanic (albeit dealer) in the Pittsburgh area. I was wondering if you could tell me which one it was. I've been searching for a good VW mechanic for a while. One guy who supposedly "specializes" in VW's misdiagnosed a simple problem and ended up costing me a fortune. I'd appreciate it so much if you could pass along the name of the dealer with whom you had a positive experience.

By the way, I have a 2003 VW Jetta GLS with 110,500 miles on it.

Thanks so much,
    lori :)
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You asked about the VW dealership near Pittsburgh which I commented on. It was "Sendell Motors" in Greensburgh.

Keep in mind that my only business with Sendell Motors was when my Jetta TDI needed repairs when I was 600 miles from home. Under those conditions, Sendell Motors worked with me to pre-order the necessary parts and get my Jetta scheduled for repair in a timely manor. It was NOT inexpensive, but under those conditions, while on vacation, I wanted a good-solid fix and lowest cost was not a primary consideration.

As for the "diagnosis", I did that myself and *told* Sendell Motors over the phone what parts to order and what repairs I expected them to do. Hence, I cannot speak for their diagnostic skills.

Bear in mind that normally, at home, I perform most of my own maintenance and very rarely allow anyone else to touch my vehicles.

If you are looking for a VW dealer in your area that has good "reviews", There is a website which can help you decide. There are 100s of 'reviews' for VW/Audi dealerships across the country.