Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Rondo (Carens)

conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
edited September 2012 in Kia
just released photos of the new Carens before its official debut on Sept 27th at the Paris Auto Show.

It's unlikely the US will get it but Canada will.

Comments

• bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    Thanks for the info conwelpic. I wonder if we will get the stickshift that is pictured. Our 2007 and 2011 Rondos have been great vehicles, I just wish for a stickshift.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    specifications and dimensions should probably be released when they officially announce the vehicle at the Paris Auto Show, but as to way they will be equipped for Canada will probably not be made available till 2nd quarter of next year.
    more pictures surfacing on the web, interesting set up for the 2nd row seats which also slide.

Still have your Rondo, conwelpic?
    sorry for the delay, been away for a few weeks. No I don't have it, I traded it last November on a 2012 Soul 4u. Purchased from the same dealer - they have treated me very well over the 4 years I owned the Rondo. The Rondo was great and very reliable which was the reason I bought another Kia, didn't even consider anything else.

some specs I've found for the 2014 model comparison to the current 2012 Rondo.

Length - 178.1" vs current 178.9
    Width - 71.1" vs 71.7"
    height - 63.4" vs 65.0"
    ground clearance - 5.9" vs 6.1"
    wheelbase - 108.3" vs 106.3"
    edited October 2012
    this new version will be available in Canada, here's a quote from Kia Canada on there latest sales announcement:

Kia also revealed the all-new 2014 Rondo Urban Utility Vehicle at the Paris Motor Show last week. The all-new Rondo will be launched next year, as a Canadian-specific model in North America, offering the flexibility of up to seven passengers and versatility to meet the needs of growing families

By the pictures above, this is a 2013 Rondo?
    there is no 2013 model in the Rondo.
    Kia Canada says the new Rondo is scheduled for spring 2013 release.
    edited January 2013

Canadian specification and features have not yet been released.
    the all new Rondo will have its North American introduction at the Toronto Auto Show in February
    the Gwangju factory has made the change over from the old model to the new in January as they only built 82 units for export for that month. This plant has had an extensive expansion to increase production by 120,000 vehicles a year.
    unveiling at the show and will be available with a 6 speed manual standard

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/02/14/2014-kia-rondo-receives-north-american-reveal-- at-toronto-auto-sh/

edited February 2013
    a few more shots:

• 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    city fuel economy has been the only complaint i have with my 09 Rondo, can't wait to see the EPA rating on this 2.0L + 6AT combo.
    2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
    edited February 2013
    (these standard features it would seem, you had to get the EX model before), so maybe there will no longer be a LX model?

Standard features:
    - 6 speed manual transmission
    - manual air conditioning
    - 2nd row heating and cooling vents
    - power windows
    - heated front seats
    - 6 speaker audio system
    - keyless entry with power locks
    - black cloth
    - ESC, HAC, BAS, VSM
    - flex-steering (3 settings)

Available features:
    - heated steering wheel
    - heated 2nd row seating
    - cooled ventilated drivers seat
    - auto dual-zone climate control
    - 10-way power drivers seat with extendable cushion optimizing thigh support
    - supervision instrument cluster
    - large LCD screen
    - integrated side window blinds
    - black or black/beige 2-tone high-grade leather
    - rear parking sensors and rear-view camera
    - automatic 6 speed transmission
  • lumberjack4lumberjack4 Member Posts: 2
    Will the new Rondo have the high seating position like the old Rondo?? The new Rondo has
    a lower overall height. Hope they kept the high seat, as I really like the look of this vehicle.
    I would presume so, the lower height is about the same as my Soul, which also has the high seating position and one of the main reasons I like it (and also the Rondo which I owned before). However, as I was unable to sit in it at the Toronto Auto Show so I can't confirm.
    It does have much more flexible seating compared to the old model and a 2" longer wheelbase to help with interior space.
  • lumberjack4lumberjack4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks conwelpic. Almost bought a Rondo in 2008, but really didn't like the front end styling -grille headlights etc - ended up buying a SUV (Santa Fe),
    mainly to get a higher seat. We really just need a compact hatchback with
    occasional seating for 5, and space for the dog in the back, but as seniors
    with arthritic knees and hips, we need a higher seat for easier entry/exit.
    This new Rondo looks very promising.
    edited February 2013
    you almost fit my description as I too am a senior and wanted that higher seating with ease of entry and exit. However, I did buy the 2008 Rondo EX with the 2.4L, as at the time I just found the Sorento and Sportage too big a vehicle (bulk-wise) - still do.

I presume you are located in Canada :)
    Conwelpic my old friend, did you take these photos yourself? Well done, nice and clear with especially good lighting so we can see the details of the interior. Nice looking machine. I especially love the idea of a 6sp manual, about the only thing I wish our 07 and 11 Rondo's were available with. But no V6? It seems the movement to smaller engines is well underway.
    hi, its been a while :) Yes I took those photos at the Toronto auto show. It was a bit awkward as it was locked with just the front windows open and surrounded with a glass fence. I was looking forward to going over it in detail due to my past ownership of one.
    I was checking back and my '08 Rondo with the 2.4L was only 162hp at the time and never encountered any power problems with it but then mine was only a 5-seater model. I have heard rumours that a 2.4L maybe an optional engine but at a later time, but no confirmation on that. Still haven't see the Canadian specs for this new model but will post as soon as they become available to me.
    Hard to compare old to new as they are so dramatically different vehicles, the only carry over is the name. That front windshield has a massive slope on it (one thing that really stood out to me when I first saw it), so they must have done extensive wind tunnel testing on it. It's the same height as my Soul, its the virtually the same length as the old one but with a 2" longer wheelbase which has got to help with interior room.
    the all new Carens/Rondo won the prestigious Red Dot design award in Europe.

The new model is now in full production starting in February, so we should see it on our Canadian shores in the next month or two.
    Here's the MSRP for the Canadian models:

LX MT - $21,695
    LX AT - $23,995
    LX AT 7-seat - $25,195

EX AT - $26,995
    EX AT 7-seat - $28,195
    EX Luxury - $32,195

if any Canadians want spec details, let me know and I will post it.
    new microsite on the all new Rondo http://www.kia.ca/rondo/index.html
    Hey conwelpic,
    I just looked at the site you mentioned. Pretty nice vehicle! I signed up for more info. Too bad there isn't a V6, since both our Rondo's were V6's, but I wonder if the 6sp manual would be available in the EX? Hmmmmm.
    Sorry but no V6 anymore, just one engine now the 2.0L Nu GDI and also the 6 speed manual will only be available in the base LX 5-seater model. The 6 speed auto does have the manual shift capability like the older previous transmission. However the new model is 300 lbs lighter than the previous one. I have full details info, so any specific question just ask.
    I drove the 2014 Rondo EX yesterday in the 5-seater version (the only one they had available) and my wife and I took it out for a drive on the 401 (interstate type highway), and noted (maybe not precise), but at 90 kmph = 2000 rpm, 100 = 2200, 110 = 2500, 120 = 2700. Forget what it says on paper, if you didn't know what was under the hood you wouldn't have guessed it was a 2.0L. It has lots of power for accelerating from the entry ramp and from going from say 90 - 120 kmph without any problem or hesitation. It would drop a gear quick if necessary to do this, but the engine noise was subdued (at least compared to my 2.0L Soul engine). It was quiet, at idle with no radio on and conditions around you very quiet you can just barely hear the engine ticking over. I would not say the ride over bumps was "cushy" so you will feel them but not harsh.

Conclusion: In my particular case as I used to own a '08 Rondo EX 2.4L, I find this engine more than adequate (easily matches the 2.4L) for my particular use and in fact if I was to purchase a Rondo again, the model I drove would be the configuration I would purchase (just not the colour). It has a lot more features than my old EX, like folding outside mirrors, leather seating, push-button start (first time I've driven a car with that feature), auto climate control, rear centre armrest, sliding rear seats that partially recline. Things were a little tight on this vehicle as it only had 54 km on it when I took it out. If you are interested in this type of vehicle, before you pass judgement due to the engine size, drive it first.

I took a lot of photos going over the vehicle in extreme detail (it has some neat stuff) and will start posting them on this thread as soon as can get them sorted out and organized.
    Conwelpic, your posts are always informative. Looking forward to the photos.
    edited April 2013
    there is many photos here's a few to start off. I also forgot to mention that I noticed the front seats were very nicely bolstered too. (right click and select view picture to see all of it, as they are chopped off in the this initial view)

something that is not in the current model, the 2nd row seats slide and partially recline. Also there is a centre armrest with cupholders.

Really nice looking seats! But the centre row in our 2007 and 2011 Rondos slide and recline....
    are they both 7-seater models, they would have to so you could get in the rear seats? This one I drove was a 5-seater and they did not have that feature before (my '08 model certainly didn't).
  • gtravestygtravesty Member Posts: 1
    I bought a (4-cyl) 2012 Rondo EX Premium about 6 months ago. At 17K it seems like a lot of car for the money. The major attraction for me is 7 seats in a wagon/MPV rather than minivan or SUV. The Orlando is the only other 7-seater MPV offered in Canada, but was inferior IMO.

My pet peeves with the 2012 Rondo are:
    - no manual option
    - overly tall, especially with rack
    - turning radius only slightly smaller than the Queen Mary
    - atrocious fuel consumption, highway or city. 50% above NRCan ratings on a good day.

The 2014 would seem to be an improvement on all fronts:
    - manual option
    - shorter
    - GDI + 6 speed should offer lower fuel consumption

Unfortunately, not necessarily:
    - no manual option with 7 seats!
    - only shortened by 1 inch, was hoping for a couple more.
    - top gear ratio is not really improved, so the potential fuel consumption decline is somewhat muted. Main savings will come from 2L DI engine

On the downside with the 2014, they've added a lot of features I don't care for, and with it comes a heftier price tag. Not that I would be buying anyway, since I tend to keep my cars for 15 years.
    ---
    I'm intrigued that anyone bought this car in the 5-seat configuration. To me, the Rondo is a bit of an odd vehicle that makes compromises for the sake of flexibility, with the chief benefit of allowing 7 seats. If you only need 5 seats, there are plenty of competing vehicles that don't require those compromises - better driving, better looking, more fuel efficient etc. tailored to meet those needs.

So I'm curious to know from 5-seat Rondo owners: what attracted you to the Rondo that wasn't met by another vehicle?
    I owned a 2.4L '08 Rondo EX 5-seater for four years. One of the reasons I purchased the Rondo was the fact it had a 5-seater version, I had no need for the extra seats, much prefer the extra underfloor storage instead. At the time I looked at the Mazda 5, also considered some of the smaller SUV's like the Honda CR-V, RAV4, Escape which all came in 5-seater models, but I had no need for AWD, but the with some of the features that came standard on the Rondo there would have been a vast cost difference which I couldn't justify. I consider the Rondo a wagon, we also have a large dog and needed good room for that. The major need for this type of vehicle was the fact it was easy to get in and out (don't like dropping down into a vehicle or having to climb out) and it definitely had to be a hatchback for its versatility.

No vehicle is perfect, but you have to take the overall package into consideration. I like the driving of the Rondo and also liked the dash layout much better than the Mazda 5, also did not like the rear sliding door.

Direct competition is obviously the Mazda 5 and Orlando but also any small FWD SUV too.
    The new LX model is more like the old EX model.

I found the fuel economy on my Rondo very good and had no complaints in that regard, turning radius wasn't bad either.

However, I did trade the Rondo for a 2012 Soul 4u as I was intrigued with all the features of that model (liked it when it first came out but obviously is was not available at the time I made my Rondo purchase). The Rondo was my first KIA product (was a bit nervous at the time due to past reputations) but it was unfounded and I found the Rondo very reliable and did not have a single mechanical problem, had four warranty claims which were all taken care of without any hassle or inconvenience. So I had no hesitation in purchasing another KIA product, which I did and got good value on the Rondo in trade.

My dealer has been great and get all my service maintenance done there.

The 2014 Rondo is the same height as my Soul, if you want anything lower then there is the Forte 5. The previous vehicle I had to the Rondo was a Oldsmobile Cutless Sierra which was 10" lower and 10" longer than the Rondo, but found the Rondo far more stable in strong winds than the Olds.

one of the new colours for the 2014 Rondo - Newport Blue

this new design is paying off big-time with good sales, here is June sales and how it stacks up against its immediate competitors:

Rondo - 945 units
    Mazda 5 - 233
    Chev Orlando - 181
    I test-drove a 2014 EX a few days ago. I was disappointed with it. It is noticeably smaller inside, and the 2nd row seat is so low it made me feel as if I was sitting in a Corolla. The 4 cyl sounds coarse and is surprisingly rough, though I know a 4 cyl won't be as smooth as our V6. The steering weights up oddly as speed increases, and the rough-road ride is kind of like a hobby horse, back and forth pitching. It's more of a larger Forte wagon, nothing like a 2007-2013 Rondo and that's too bad. I do hope it sells well, but it won't be to us.
  • samanthacooksamanthacook Member Posts: 1
    kia-apps.com/kia_rondo/

Hi all, could you please vote for me to win a new rondo?! It would be amazing, my name is Samantha Cook, just click the link! Thanks!

kia-apps.com/kia_rondo/
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I have always liked some of the same attributes you do on a Rondo. For me tho, I wish it had AWD and diesel option. That would be the cure for way better FE, provide the extra urge that AWD saps, and make it capable of towing a small travel trlr with a shower. These are feats that are well out of the new Rondo's element. Unfortunately, cuz having not driven one yet, I did spend some showrm time in one, and I was most impressed with two things right off...its looks, and the seats. The seats are a vast improvement over the pre 14's. In terms of support and comfort up front. I never sat in the rear yet. I also love the driving positions and the ease of ingress/egress. It is perfect in those ways.

One problem I have with Kia is their Ford type marketing of a century past...any colour you want as long as it's black, with its interiors :(