Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Accessories

Comments

• Thank you Steve, and everybody, for your input. I went to that 1010 site and came up w/this chart as a comparison:
    http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit (if that works).
    235 measurements 245 measurements in bold, couldn't space 'em out
    Section Width: 9.25 in 235 mm 9.64 inches/245mm
    Rim = 16" 406.4 mm Same
    Overall Diameter: 28.95 in/735.33 mm 29.50 in/749.3 mm
    Sidewall Height: 6.47 in/164.33 mm 6.75 in 171.45 mm
    Radius: 14.47 in/367.53 mm 14.75 in 374.65 mm
    Circumference: 90.94 in/2309.8 mm 92.67 in 2353.8 mm
    Revs per Mile: 718.4 705.0
    Actual Speed: 60 mph 58.8
    Speedometer Difference: ---- 1.900% too slow
    Diameter Difference: ------ 1.87%

So, my tires are a bit larger by a few measurements here and there, not just in tread that hits the pavement (245mm), therefore giving me less revolutions per mile, I guess my Tribby is working harder to make itself go, which would effect fuel economy. I'm hoping it comes back up a bit after the next o/c, tune up, etc. I liked getting about 20 mpg, however I suppose I really can't tell since my odometer must be a bit off as well?? :confuse:
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Posts: 161
    chimpsnest -

sorry, my comments were aimed towards hybrid owners where there has been a lot of discussion about FE and tire rolling resistance.....from my non-hybrid SUV experience, you have upgraded by going to the michelins and should see several benefits (wet/dry traction, road noise, etc.) for the cost of a few miles per gallon
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    do those michelins have a 700 treadwear rating?
    if they do(ok, they do), i have had the conti's on our escape and have the cross terrains on my explorer.
    my explorer experienced a slight bump in mileage after putting on the cross terrains.
    bear with me a bit.
    go to tirerack and look up how many revolutions per mile for each tire. this will give you the true difference of the size difference if the tires.
    not all the tires of the same size are actually the same size. i just replaced the conti's on the escape with goodyear tripletreads. they are noticeably larger than the conti's they replaced. the conti's are also a very light tire. you can get those numbers from tirerack, too.
    run about 20 miles or so on a highway with measured miles to determine your odometer accuracy. the cross terrains measure 19.8 on the trip odometer over 20 measured miles.
    i have done this several times.
    so are the cross terrains a lot quieter?
    for me, the cross terrains are not that great in bad weather.
  • RE: 700 treadwear .... how would I find this out? It looks like you confirmed it?
    RE: Revs per mile, I did the comparison at the 1010.com site and the 235's were around 718 rvs per mile and the 245's are 705 revs per mile (I believe, I'm going on a turkey rattled memory function right now, lol).

I did notice a difference in road noise, but my OEM's had 86K miles on them, I think ANY new tire I put on the Trib would reduce road noise @ that point.

I haven't noticed any slippage in rain and we have not had any snow yet.

I've got to find a measured mile, my OD and my trip OD never meshed anyway, they were off buy a tenth or two to start with. I'll talk to the dealer about it next time I'm in there.
  • The 4% dif was because I used the wrong diameter, 14 in stead of 16. I was on TireRack.com and they have the equations but not a calculator. The example used a 14 inch tire and I mistakenly used that same number (in mm), thus suggesting a 4% mpg reduction instead of the correct 1.9%.

In either case, the outside diameter of the tire (not the rim) does change as the width changes given that the profile ratio stays the same.

From TireRack.com:

Width x Aspect Ratio = Section Height
    Section Height x 2 = Combined Section Height
    Combined Section Height + Wheel Diameter = Tire Diameter

Example: 185/60R14 85H or 185/60HR14

185mm x .60=111mm
    111mm x 2=222mm
    222mm + 355.6mm(14")= 577.6mm or 22.74"

The first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. To convert to inches, divide by 25.4 In the example above, the width is 185mm or 7.28".

The second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width. In the example above, the tire is 7.28" wide, multiply that by the aspect ratio to find the height of one sidewall. In this case, 185x0.60=111mm or 7.28"x0.60=4.36".

The last number is the diameter of the wheel in inches.

To figure the outside diameter of a tire, take the sidewall height and multiply by 2,(remember that the diameter is made up of 2 sidewalls, the one above the wheel, and the one below the wheel) and add the diameter of the wheel to get your answer.
  • Question - how do you put a tow hitch on a 2007 FEH? Apparently, this isn't available through FMC, even as an accessory. I don't want to tow anything - just want to mount a scuba tank rest for suiting up in comfort before a dive
    Lots of FEH hitch discussion at this thread on this forum:
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/showthread.php?t=9063&page=3&highlight=traile- r+hitch

Also check photo at: http://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2059.html

To see how hitch has to be designed to provide access for the HVBattery A/C refrigerant lines.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    the 1010.com site is good for the basic information.
    tirerack will show you the actual revolutions per mile for individual tires. the treadwear info is available there too.
    like i said, nor all tires of the same size are actually the same size. i did a 30 measured mile run with my michelin equipped vehicle. it still registers 1% under(30 miles registered 29.7 on the odometer) after about 18k miles.
  • yeloroseyelorose Posts: 5
    I am hoping to purchase a 2008 FEH, but I will have to install a tow hitch to carry a lift for my mother's scooter. Can anyone give me some basic info about the tow rating for a FEH?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
  • im trying to do some cheap and easy mods to both interior and exterior of my car to make it stand out and more attractive...any suggestions?
  • Has anyone installed an aftermarket navigation in the 2008 Escape? I just bought the Escape w/o the nav and I'm trying to find out what the options are for getting a nav installed.

Thanks!
  • I am considering downsizing from an Expedition to an Escape Hybrid. A 2008 4WD FEH is a good size for daily use, but it is a tad small for hauling my family on trips. So I looked into rooftop cargo boxes from Yakima/Thule, but even with the smallest box there would be only 1/8" clearance between my garage door and the box (according to the Ford & Yakima specs).
    So -- what about lowering springs? I've seen some advertised for Gen 1 V6 Escapes that supposedly lower by 1.5" (eibach, for example).

Obviously there a weight difference and probably a spring rate difference in the Hybrid. Does anyone know if these aftermarket springs would fit, and what the spring rates/dimensions are? I did have my Expedition XLT lowered and it improved the handling but it had truckish torsion bars instead of front coil springs.
    The fuel econ penalty you will suffer from a box on the top is HUGE don't do it. Also it will substantially raise the center of gravity. Not something you want to do on an already tall narrowv vehicle with no stability control.

You probably won't find a FEH at a dealer anyway.

Mark
    Mark is right. You will negate a large amount of the Fuel Economy of the FEH by using the roof top box. Unless you do what I do and use the box only for trips......the Yakimas are designed to go on and off rather quickly. In this manner you would not have to drive the vehicle into the garage with the box on top (?).

If you need the room in the box most of the time...I think you need a larger vehicle - Highlander, Explorer, etc.

If you only need the box room for trips (every other month or less ?) then perhaps an FEH with the box taken on and off for the trips.

If you are going with a smaller vehicle with a full-time box on top - might as well go with a Subaru Outback or Forester or similar - they can get in the mid-20s mpg. (however, also lowered somewhat with the box on top)

The FEH will save a lot in exhaust emissions!

Depends on your priorities. Good Luck! :D
  • I don't plan to drag it around all the time, maybe for a couple of weeks a year. I don't want to take it off just to park the truck. Lowering the truck with shorter springs (with proper spring rates, of course) would more than make up for a plastic roof box.
    Reduced ground clearance is not an issue for me

BTW, there were 6 2008 Hybrid Escapes and 5 Hybrid Mariners on the dealer lots in Sunnyvale CA last week, with more on the way.

Anyway, my question is more about fit and specifications of lowering springs -- has anybody done it?
    I put in 2 orders, lets see if the get scheduled.
  • Hey Steve,

On my stereo there is a button that is listed as "MP3 DIR" - what is that? Is there a connection for an MP3 player that i haven't found? Please email me at ylclarence@yahoo.com if you have an answer. Thanks!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    Can someone help Ylclarence? I don't own an MP3 player (or a Tribute/Escape). :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 2008 Mariner and there is an input for an MP player on the dash (lower right of center) to connect an MP3 player. maybe they use the same radio on the Escape ??? :)