Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Accessories

Comments

• axel1997axel1997 Posts: 6
    Great Pix, here's another posted by one of the members over at Escape-Central.com. I found your edmunds board from some comments that one of your members made on the board over there. Anyone interested in more great Escape pictures, I'd recommend that you check it out over at

http://www.escape-central.com

Hope I'm doing the picture thing right? I don't see a place for pic post instructions. Take care.

• axel1997axel1997 Posts: 6
    Great, I guessed right about the picture thingy! If anyone has any info about modifications for Escapes or any other sites that would show modifications like the pictures at Escape-Central.com or have parts etc like escape-parts.co, please post them. Thanks again!

Axel :)
  • k9cop1k9cop1 Posts: 78
    I purchased the bugflector II @ Autobarn for $49.99. Easy install (4 screws).
    Dave
  • k9cop1k9cop1 Posts: 78
    Which is better?
    Dave
  • I recently took a test drive in the new escape. I have recently tested the Highlander and the New Trailblazer. I was very impressed by the escape. the acceleration is fantastic and the cornering ability is the best of the three suv*s that I tested. This would probably be attributable to the fact that it is a smaller SUV than the other two, but its ability still stood out over the other two. The only problem lies in the lower body cladding. I can*t make myself purchase the vehicle with the cladding which I know will not weather over time. It may be good in preventing stone chips and the like. However, the vehicle never looks new due to the inability to fully clean the cladding. As I have seen, people inadvertently getting wax on the cladding are having problems already. Also, how do you think that the cladding will look two years from now. Horrible I predict. I can*t believe that Ford would go to the trouble to produce as nice a vehicle as this one and not offer any option but the plastic cladding. What is the problem with the engineering department at Ford. If I could get a fully painted model such as the ones on the Waag website, this vehicle would definitely be my choice. As for the Tribute, Its amazing that a year after marketing, Mazda still can*t get the product into the dealerships.
  • firstnamefirstname Posts: 45
    Does the trick of removing excess wax easily and cleanly!
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Posts: 149
    I have has cladding on several SUV's with no problems. It is easily cleaned with a damp rag of WD40 and then a coating of Armorall, STP Son of a Gun,Mother's Back to Black, or whatever you use for vinyl appearance.
    The Mazda Tribute upper level model{LX} does have painted bottom cladding area. Mazda only can produce X amount of Tributes as to a greater X amount of Ford Escapes. They are both assembled at the same plant on the same assembly line and Ford controls the ratio. As to availability, I would assume that the Ford/Mazda team did not anticipate such a huge buyers response.Plus, ther were assembly line problems and several recalls and TSB's which held up production in the first several months.
    I have had my 2001 Escape since Nov. 30th, 2000 and other than the fuel smell TSB fix, I have had great results. 24.6 highway,...20.4 city mpg., plenty of power, {200hp}and I can say, without hesitation, the best new vehicle I have ever owned for money.
    As to wax on the cladding, if you use painters masking tape {takes at the most, five minutes to apply before waxing} you will not have wax on the cladding...plus if that is your major concern, it is easily removed with a damp rag of peanut oil.
    Go get it NORT
  • murocflyermurocflyer Posts: 20
    Sounds like the ugly cladding is a major concern. I also share your thoughts about the lower body color. Its not very maintenance friendly and is hard to keep "new" looking. My advice to you is to get a Tribute if you like the Escape so much. Similar vehicle, a little more classy looking with painted body cladding.
  • I have a 2001 LX tribby and find the cladding no problem to clean and care for (I believe this cladding is painted).
    I wash it w/ the same Zymol auto cleaner I use on the body, and I've waxed it a couple of times using Zymol wax. I have found the cladding to act no different than the body as far as maintenance.
    Is there something I'm missing ?
    thanks
  • orlieorlie Posts: 12
    The Escape has molded in body cladding & bumpers (unpainted), and keeping those clean and wax-free gets a bit harder than taking care of painted bumpers and cladding. As mentioned in a couple of Yahoo! clubs for the Escape/Tribute, "Back to Black" seems to do the trick with keeping the unpainted cladding & bumpers nice and dark(black).
  • I would like to replace the stock stereo in my 2001 Tribute with a AM/FM radio, CD, and cassette player. Does anyone know what brands will fit?
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Check out Circuit City or someplace similar. You need Double DIN unit to fit properly.
    Pioneer makes a pretty decent setup, also Alpine and Sony have some nice sets. Good luck on you new stereo when you get.

Odie
    Does anyone know of a source for a speed grille insert for the Tribute? Street Scene Equipment has an application for the Escape, but nobody seems to have this for the Tribute. I've been checking for the past several months and contacted a few manufacturers ... still nothing.

Please share any info you may have. I'll post again about this if/when I find out something new.
  • www.zetaproducts.net sells center armrests for the escape and tribute.
  • Would someone please verify one way or another whether the 2000 Ford escape cargo cover will fit the 2001 Mazda Tribute?

Thanks.
    Yes, the retractable cargo area cover for the Escape will fit the Tribute. (An owner of both the Escape & Tribute tested this for us a while back.) 'Looking to get that part? I'm sure http://www.partscheap.com has it, but I don't know if their price is that good.
  • gibbousgibbous Posts: 2
    Ever since I saw the midnight package on the 02's I have been drooling to put it on my Black 01. The day I first saw one up close, I didn't like the claddings. Just from talking to the parts departments, and reading forum posts online I know it can be done, but what else is there to consider beyond sand to smooth, prime, and paint? What's the best tool to use for sanding?, how smooth should it get?, what's the best primer?, and which paint should you use to prevent (or delay as long as possible) peeling? What paint should you use to match the original color?

Alternatively, can this be done professionally?, or are the parts available from aftermarket sources? (parts departments want around 1000 bucks for them).

Thanks! I so love my Escape. :o)
  • bortz62bortz62 Posts: 2
    I just picked up my 2002 Midnight XLT with the Mach MP3. I'm an older guy and I won't ever use the MP3 functionality, but I do need to have a cassette player for audiobooks. I would like to swap out the MP3 stereo for a dual mode unit. To maintain the look of the dash, I'd like to stick with a Ford OEM unit and as best as I can tell, the MP3 head unit has the exact same dimensions as the dual mode unit that is in the Escape XLS (as well as the units that I've seen in other Ford Trucks, like the Explorer).

My question:
    Does anyone know if there will be a problem taking a dual mode unit from an XLS and swapping it for the MP3 unit? (When I picked up my car I asked the dealer if he though there would be any XLS buyers who might want to take my MP3 in trade, and he said that the two units weren't compatible - but I'm pretty sure he didn't have any idea what he talking about).

How about swapping it for a dual mode from another Ford Truck? They look exactly the same as the unit in the XLS. I see a bunch of Ford dual mode stereos for sale on Ebay and could pick one up pretty easy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • I'm buying a 2003 Tribute in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any comments on hauling things on the factory roof rack on the Tribute? Or maybe a suitable after market rack system? In particular I want to be able to tie a 16' canoe to the top. I currently have the Yakima track/Locking Railrider Tower system on my 2001 Ford Ranger (with fib topper). Originally, when I was in the market for an Escape, my existing towers would fit perfectly into the Escape factory tracks. With the Tribute, if I want to use the Yakima system, I'll have to buy either LowRider towers, Q-Towers, or a combination of the two. Or possibly install tracks on the roof of the Tribute, if they fit with the existing rack system.

I know some of this Yakima jargon should be reserved for Yakima technical support employees, but I thought maybe someone out there has been down this road.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    I think you get an extra margin of safety with separate towers myself. I tried some railriders briefly but didn't think they were stout enough. I'd go with the Q-Towers or similar. I hauled a 17' canoe 32,000 miles in '99/'00 with that setup on my van.

Here's a Yak enthusiasts site.

Steve, Host