Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• With regular unleaded, in the city I average about 20 mpg. I expected better than that with 1.6L engine. It can be frustrating. I haven't been on too many road trips with car yet, but only noticed I was in the 26 mpg range for freeway driving.
  • We bought this car new three weeks ago and have since taken it on two pretty big road trips: Philadelphia to DC and Philadelphia to upstate NY. On both of those trips we traveled mostly on highway and averaged a whopping 15 mpg. At one point (on the highway) we managed to get it down to the low 14's. Brilliant. Then there was the added bonus of having to stop every 2 hours to fill it up with gas. Anyway, we have just taken our lovely little Eco friendly gas guzzler back to the dealership to try and get it sorted. Glad to know we are not alone.
  • pdawg1pdawg1 Posts: 22
    Our Escape Titanium after 1400 miles is getting less than 24 mpg highway. Driving it very carefully the best I could get was 22.3 a far cry from the 28 listed. I have notified my dealership of the results and they want to do an mpg test themselves. I think we are not alone with what is stated and what is actually happening on these vehicles. I also think Ford needs to either make the stated mpg's happen or give us options as in a fuel reimbursement or full trade in on a different vehicle!
  • dizneydizney Posts: 19
    At 60mph. I always get 35 to 38 mpg with 1.6L FWD Moral of story drive fast higher RPM more gas !
  • and if you only go down hill you can get upto 40mpg while in neutral !
    With my 17mpg city you would think i was getting to 100 mph between lights....
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    edited February 2013
    No, but the key work there is between lights. If it's a typical city there's a light every two/three blocks or less. If you accelerating and braking hard that affects mpg's. Hurry up and stop! Slow steady acceleration anticipating the next stop, coasting and using the deceleration fuel cut off saves fuel. The car behind you can only go as fast as you and who cares if it pisses him off. The funny thing about the reports on bad mpg's, no one mentions how fast they're traveling.
  • dlk413dlk413 Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    I just tested it on the highway driving a steady 45MPH: 17.2 MPG. Ford dealership says there's not much they can do about it because on the sticker, below where it says 24 city/28 Hwy, it also says (in much smaller print) "small suvs may average between 16-21 MPG". Basically 24/28 is a gimmick. Look elsewhere if you want a car that actually gets good MPG.
  • The FWD models get really good gas mileage, the AWD not so good
    I am getting about 23 in town "not city" and about 28 HWY going 65-70 more if at 60. That is why we bought a FWD even though we live where it snows in the winter. GAS MILEAGE W/ FWD
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,450
    In the same time period, my wife's Escape went from 20.6 over a couple of tanks to 23.2 and my old Explorer went from 13.6 to 15.7.
    Not sure if the gas changed or the weather or something else.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "I just tested it on the highway driving a steady 45MPH: 17.2 MPG. Ford dealership says there's not much they can do about it because on the sticker, below where it says 24 city/28 Hwy, it also says (in much smaller print) "small suvs may average between 16-21 MPG". Basically 24/28 is a gimmick. Look elsewhere if you want a car that actually gets good MPG. "

Wow, that is low. What does it do at 60 MPH? Is that with a 2.0, or 1.6?
  • automelon48automelon48 Posts: 101
    edited February 2013
    2.0 FWD. I have now recorded 16 tanks of fuel. (lifetime) Average = 24.33 MPG measured at the pump, on the Escape display and through the OBDII diagnostic port. (they all agree)

That's City/Hwy, idling, etc. Snow tires and Canadian winter driving.

My configuration is rated 22/30 with a combined rating of 25.
    I am not trying to rub salt in your wound, just stating my experience.

I expect mileage to improve when the weather warms and when we switch back to "summer gas". (and when I put my all seasons on for the first time!)

PS, If you have a 2.0AWD then it is rated 21/28 24-combined.
  • The real funny thing is how people think they know how everyone who's getting bad mileage are driving, it's because they race between lights or they drive to fast on the highway, but the truth is most people who are upset with their mileage KNOW HOW TO DRIVE for maximizing mileage! The problem is THE WEIGHT of the vehicle. Turbos are great for maximizing mpgs in LIGHTWEIGHT vehicles, not SUVs. It's really that simple, anyone who is getting great mileage in this vehicle is the Exception not The Rule, so please spare the driving lessons, this vehicle is not getting close to EPA numbers in the real world, it's just not.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    Read the posts, never a mention of driving to maximize mileage, how they drive, conditions, highway or city, hilly or flat, cruise control or not. It's just, my mileage is horrible, the dealership won't do anything so they're crap, class action suit, false claims by Ford... In my opinion, the only other thing it can be is driving style. If it's the weight, why do I and others get the posted mpg numbers and others don't. I don't baby mine, but I drive sensibly and anticipate traffic. All the engines are identical and the build and assembly process is the same for every vehicle. Forums are full of complainers who are looking for people who feel the same way they do and that justifies their anger. I drive everyday and I'm sure you do too. Look around, how many drivers on the road are driving for mileage?
  • cbc410cbc410 Posts: 20
    edited February 2013
    I am in to do a class action or social media campaign. How do we band together? The problem with class action suits is that all they really benefit are the lawyers that administer them. The claimants get a small return and the lawyers get the real money. But I think that we should band together and pressure Ford. I know they have just blown me off and have taken no responsibility for the fact that the car gets nowhere near the mileage claim unless it is driven in absolutely perfect conditions - flat roads with long stretches of no stops.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    Here's one to watch.

And you're right - pay close attention to what the class members get compared to the lawyers.

Hyundai Agrees To Settle Fuel-Efficiency Lawsuits
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Posts: 16
    hmm, have you read my posts? Very detailed...

I'm sure there are some idiots that gun it all the time and complain...

But the way I drive in the city, I don't think can be beat. Ultra-slow acceleration, maximize coasting between red lights (foot off pedal as MUCH as possible without driving everyone around me absolutely crazy).

Stop and go traffic just kills this thing. Doesn't matter how hard you try. Sure if you can coast on green lights with no traffic you'll get OK mpg.

If I'm forced to drive that way (super-maximize mileage) then I don't even need the freaking turbo! I could drive the way I drive with a 120hp engine... There should be an ECO button which reduces the turbo involvement or something. People reviewing the paltry SkyActive engine of the Mazda CX5 were saying the engine didn't have enough guts, but I'm sure it'd be PLENTY for the driving style imposed on Escape owners.

I cannot get anything over 375 km (235 miles) out of a city tank in normal Toronto, Ontario conditions. Can't imagine what it'd be like if I was driving "normally", not like a Prius owner trying to get to 600 miles on a tank.....

Also it annoys me that you'd have to drive at 55-60 mph to get decent hwy mileage. That's just not reality, not one bit. Optimizing fuel ratings for that speed (so that the marketing department can have a field day with stupid claims) is just playing the system and pissing people off. If someone drives 55mph on a 60mph highway, then he's selfish, a danger to others, and probably causes all kinds of episodes of road rage around. In 2013, a car should provide decent mileage at an average speed of 70mph.

I love the car otherwise, but let me say that once this lease is over, I will not be looking at any EcoBoost model from Ford.
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Posts: 16
    I can't report on time driven and average speed, because the trip computer, for some reason, keeps counting time even when the car is in accessory mode (engine not running). So I regularly stay in the car 10-25 minutes after I arrived at my destination to keep listening to my audiobook, and that messes up the time spent, so I don't have an accurate average speed.
  • Again, people who are getting the mileage like you're getting are the EXCEPTION not the rule! I can't explain why you're getting better mileage than most on here just like YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN why people aren't getting just as good. But what I can tell you, which completely gets drowned out in the "it must be this or it has to be that" is that I got MUCH BETTER gas mileage in my 2010 Escape than I did in this 2013 Escape, end of story. I had both, drove both the same way, and the new & improved Escape didn't come close. And I'm not sure where this "all these other drivers are getting good mileage" is coming from because I still read this thread to see what "all these other drivers" are getting and I'm sure as Hades not seeing what you're seeing??? I see A LOT of people posting truly horrible numbers and I'm willing to bet they're not all driving the same route, the same time, the same weather, the same traffic conditions as you are. Like I've said in the past, I've owned MULTIPLE Ford's and this one has by far been the worst experience, so I'm not a Ford basher or whining complaining troll on here.
    Our Escape is the 2.0L 4WD, is yours 4WD?
    I just got back from working in Arizona and was provided with a 2010 Ford Flex, we called it the "Toaster". This was in Prescott, very high altitude over 5000 ft and very hilly. The Flex with a 3.5 V6 EcoBoost got better than 21 in town and close to 25 on the highway, much better than our new Escape! So I think there is an issue with these vehicles............