Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,013
    edited October 2012
    If you're driving the 401, you're going to be lucky to get 10 mph and a bent fender every six weeks. That's my candidate for the worst highway in North America. I think the truckers must all remove their governors on that road. :P

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• automelon48automelon48 Posts: 102
    edited October 2012
    I am curious to know what kind of gas everyone is using. Are you using Regular (87) or Premium (91)?

For the best mileage try to find gas with NO Ethanol. The more Ethanol in your fuel, the more you will use. The EPA ratings are made with 100% gasoline, not E10 or E15.

Expect at least 3-4% more fuel consumption with E10. (according to EPA) This will vary from one type of engine to another.
    Most gas stations do not put Ethanol in their 91 octane Premium fuel. Find out what your gas station serves. It varies from one station to the next and one city/region to the next.
    On the other hand, 93 or 94 octane fuel is sometimes Premium (91) spiked with Ethanol, which raises the octane rating. In any case, 100% gasoline should give best mileage.

My Escape arrives in just under 2-weeks, (2.0 FWD) so I will be sharing my real-world results when I put some fuel through it.
    (Most every 2.0 at the dealerships in my area are 4WD. I had to order a FWD and I did so, because it uses about 7% less fuel and saves me almost $2K off the price)

Also, just a footnote; I bought an Escape because I need the power to tow a trailer in the summer and I wanted something fun and economical for the rest of the time. This seems like a good balance of all three of my criteria.
    Pure-gas.org will let you find ethanol free gas stations in your area.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,371
    Good luck with that.... Nothing within 50 miles of where I live (metro area with over 1 MM population)..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Funny, I'm in the deep boonies and there's some a mile or so away (maybe being close to the lake helps and the marina people buy it?). They dropped the regular flavor though and only offer premium ethanol free.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,371
    premium ethanol free

That sounds like some good stuff, there.... mmmmmm... :P

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Regular at that station is $3.55. Premium is $4.45. It better be some good stuff.

• usa1fanusa1fan Posts: 68
    Ours is (or was, yesterday..) running around $3.29 for regular. I haven't paid attention to what premium is, but I may be trying a few tanks of that soon to see what kind of effect there is on fuel economy with these little turbo engines. My 08 Malibu LTZ V6 saw no effect at all (not really expected though- rated for regular, with nothing from Chevy / GM indicating it would be different with other grades). Since Ford has rated the power higher with higher grade gas, maybe it'll impact economy too?
    I think drivers should run the octane that their car is tuned for, and the gas cap or manual will tell you that. (link)

To quote Mr. Shiftright around here, premium gas isn't a doggie treat for your car. :)

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..impact economy too?.."

No. unless you mean $$ economy.

Premium gas will only make a difference at or near WOT, when the cylinders are being fully filled with A/F mixture and thus effective CR = base/native CR.
    Most modern day engines are "tuned" on the fly, mixture ratio and timing "remapped" .
  • Premium gas may give better fuel mileage IF it is 100% gasoline AND your 87 octane fuel contains ethanol.
    This is confusing to many consumers as they may be led to believe that Premium gas allows for better fuel economy than regular gas. ie; 91 octane is better than 87 octane for mileage.
    It might, but it may be the ethanol content in the two fuels that makes the difference, not the octane rating.

Ford does state that the Ecoboosts make more HP on 91 octane, that is public knowledge. Does 91 octane yield better fuel mileage than 87 in an Escape Ecoboost? I think I would have to ask a Ford engine designer that question.
    edited October 2012
    People always get confused about the performance aspect too. It really boils down to whether the engine application has been designed to take advantage of it.

"Octane ratings are not indicators of the energy content of fuels. " (Wikipedia)

"If your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline then a higher octane will not improve mileage, and if it does there is likely a problem with the control system for your engine." (Bettermileage101)

Those links aren't the last word by a long shot, but I think the best bet is to follow the recommendations in the owner's manual.

• Agreed!

Below is a great article that I read, way back in 2001 that is very informative. Nice to see that it is still available on the Car and Driver website.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/regular-or-premium
    Thank you for the link Steve. The last three paragraphs on page one explain exactly *why* I'm interested in the results of trying out higher octane fuel with my Escape. It is exactly what is described there- Ford 'recommends' regular unleaded, but has indicated an increase in power with premium (9 hp?). This indicates that it is in fact relying on the knock sensor to allow for timing advance. Another site I found indicates that this can have a side benefit of increased fuel economy in some situations (enthusiastic driving, pulling a certain gear on a grade longer before requiring a downshift because of increased torque, etc.). I don't know if or how much benefit there might be, but the simple fact that the power and torque numbers increase, by a not quite insignificant amount, at least when you consider how much some will spend to get the same increase from other cars, means that the ECU is doing something with these cars. ;)
    edited October 2012
    One "advantage" of higher gas prices is that the .20 or .30 cent a gallon difference between regular and premium that's typical around here is that the percentage difference isn't so much.

Back in the day of $1.50 a gallon gas, a twenty cent bump was a lot bigger percentage difference. $3.50 to $3.70. Big whoop. :shades:

• usa1fan, I suspect that an engine as modern as the ecoboost has many options for preventing knock. Valve-timing, ignition timing and boost pressure can all be varied on these motors.
    It's interesting how the Range Rover Evoque has the same Ford powerplant and is rated 240 hp and 251 lb-ft of torque yet they recommend Premium fuel only.

I suspect (IMHO) that the Ford engineers would like to see the Escape running on Premium fuel, but if it was marketed this way, fewer of us would buy one. (lets face it, we did not want to spend the extra $10+K for a Rover)
    The engineers seem to have done a very good job at making these engines run just fine on regular, so good on them!
    I guess it's up to us guys on the forums to determine the efficiency gain (if any) on the different fuels.
    Absolutely. It's hard to believe that prices have more than tripled in just around 12 years!
    That's what I got from everything I've read about these Ecoboost four cylinders, at least the 2.0's. I would love to see official EPA numbers with premium fuel. Most people still beat up on those ratings, but fail to see that they provide a consistent standardized baseline for comparison, even if they don't directly represent the exact numbers we'll see in our own use.
  • fortherockfortherock Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    There is no "Eco" in my Ecoboost Engine!!!
    I purchased a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium AWD 2.0 Liter Ecoboost in August 2012.
    Estimated MPG 21 City / 24 Combined / 28 Hwy
    After 3,000 Miles: MPG 17 City / 20 Combined / 23 Hwy

This is 20% lower than the EPA on the Sticker with only a 15 gallon tank, the range is horrible!!!
    Note: in the manual it states "Did you know you can get 15% better fuel economy if you drive 55 instead of 65 on the highway?" It would be quite upsetting if the car was tuned to drive that far below the speed limit, putting drivers at risk in higher speed traffic as they try to achieve better fuel economy!!!

The first week I drove the car on a flat highway at 75 mph nonstop for a full tank of gas, and only calculated 23 mpg. Its never improved. I drive conservatively and never get close to 21 mpg on the highway. Watching the average mpg on the dash drop has caused me to tame my driving habits, but still no improvement.

I purchased the Escape for an SUV with power, but also good fuel economy. I love everything else about the car - the looks, the technology, the seat comfort. However, if I knew this was the mileage I would be getting, I would have never purchased the Escape. There are plenty of SUV's available with more comfort, power, bigger gas tank, and for less money at 17/20/23.

Hyundai, Kia to pay 900,000 owners for overstating mileage on window stickers
    http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/hyundai-kia-pay-900-000-owners-overstatin- - g-mileage-125024437.html
  • FYI on the EPA Numbers...

Hyundai, Kia to pay 900,000 owners for overstating mileage on window stickers

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/hyundai-kia-pay-900-000-owners-overstatin- g-mileage-125024437.html

Quote...
    "While the Environmental Protection Agency sets the testing procedures that automakers must use to measure fuel economy, it relies on the companies to self-report accurate claims.

The EPA began investigating the mileage on Hyundai models after scores of complaints from customers that their cars weren't meeting the window sticker mileage estimates. In July, Hyundai was sued in California by consumer groups accusing the automaker of misleading customers by stating only the 40 mpg highway ratings in its ads."
  • dizneydizney Posts: 19
    Still doing great! Took a road trip of 310 miles RT today mostly highway ( 90 %) at 55 mph!
    When pulling in the driveway my dash showed 35.8 mpg.............
    Booo Ya !!!
  • fortherock,
    Just for comparison sake, try a tank of Premium fuel (91, no higher) that you can confirm is pure gasoline, with no Ethanol. I don't know how much difference you will see, if any, but it would be an interesting experiment for a few extra dollars. My Escape 2.0 FWD just rolled off the truck this morning. I take delivery next week and will be posting my MPG's as soon as I have meaningful data. I don't mean to "harp" on the Ethanol thing too much, but the EPA does state that their tests are based on 100% gasoline and that Ethanol content will reduce mileage. I don't make this up, I just get it from the EPA website.
  • automelon48,

I did actually use Premium fuel once and did notice an average around 25mpg highway, the only time the car went above 23mpg. I'll try again. I'll also double check if the Premium didn't have 10% ethanol.

Yet, my response is still the same. If the sticker on the window says 21/24/28, then the numbers should be close - especially for the city number. To be 20% less puts this car at the same mileage as the previous V6. The whole point of this new Ecoboost engine is better fuel economy. It's Fords main marketing point and why they no longer offer the V6. Yet, based on what I've read on this great forum, sounds like it varies from car to car - so there is hope something can be tuned to improve fuel economy. Love to hear what you get!!!
    edited November 2012
    Many years ago high compression engines needed/required premium fuel. But only when the effective compression ratio approached the base/native compression ratio. Nowadays the engine ECU simply enriches the mixture slightly if the effective compression is reached.

So, unless you are of the "boy-racer" mentality or simply a leadfoot, regular fuel will yeild just as good FE as premium and at lower pump cost.
  • wwest
    I agree with you, but in many places the only way to get pure gas, it to buy Premium (91). I suggest it ONLY if it ensures that it is Ethanol free. The EPA tests the vehicles on 100% gas, so the only fair comparison is for us to test with 100% gas. I live in Western Canada and some stations will sell Regular 87 without Ethanol and others only guarantee that their 91 is Ethanol free. Shell Canada says on their website that all of their Premium pumps are Ethanol free.
    Hey, it's worth a try.
  • I have a 2013 2.0 AWD Titanium with 3200 miles. I used 87 octane on my first two fill-ups and was getting poor gas mileage (21.3 mpg combined). I switched to premium (91 octane) and saw immediate improvement in gas mileage (26.3 mpg). For my last 3 tankfuls I used 87 octane. My combined mileage with 87 octane is 22.4 mpg. Don't know the ethanol content of either. Regardless of the economics, environmentally it is worth the added cost and I will go back to premium fuel when available.
  • all 91 octane doesn't have No ethanol, you have to make sure that it doesn't. in most areas, you can find no octane in any grades, though it's getting harder to find. No ethanol gas does improve your gas mileage, and it usually is 15% higher in price. I had been putting no ethanol in my 300C, but it's getting so hard to find, I no longer do. But my gas mileage averaged 23 mpg compared to 20 with ethanol.
  • Hate to inform you but the EPA does its Mileage tests with 100% Gasoline
    They do NOT, repeat Do NOT use Ethanol in their testing for mileage!!!
    Premium Gasoline Does contain up to 10% ethanol as well.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml

Check for yourself about 3/4 down the page.
  • http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml
    Do EPA fuel economy estimates account for the use of ethanol blends that are common today?

No. The EPA fuel economy tests use 100 percent gasoline, and no adjustments are made to account for ethanol. Most conventional vehicles using E10 (10 percent ethanol) will experience a 3 to 4 percent reduction in fuel economy.

Why don't EPA fuel economy tests use ethanol-blended gasoline now that most gasoline contains ethanol?

EPA fuel economy tests are conducted according to Federal testing regulations which require 100 percent gasoline. These regulations could be changed, but changing them would be somewhat problematic. While it is common for gasoline pumps to allow for up to 10 percent ethanol, the actual amount of ethanol blended into the gasoline varies greatly, and fuel blending requirements vary by state. Changing the test methods would also make it difficult to compare vehicles tested with ethanol blends with those tested with straight gasoline. So, without a national standard for blended regular gasoline and a Federal mandate to change the test fuel used, the EPA will not change the test fuel.

------------------------
    Now do you feel you have been LIED to?