Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• First check after 500 miles on car was 27.2 on trip computer, 27.9 with actual miles divided by gallon to refill. 70% highway. next tank was 25.8, 40/60 split. Very satisfied with those numbers.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "Learning": Confusion reigns...

The driver's driving "style" memory is totally reset, erased, each and every time you start the engine. Within a fairly short period of starting the car in motion your "style" will be "binned" into 1 of 4 types. Shortly thereafter, depending on time elapsed and/or mileage covered, your driving style will be resolved into 1of 8, then 1 of 16, etc, etc.

The driving style memory stores a running record of (15) minutes, anything beyond drops off the end of the earth. So, the system will continuously adapt to your "changing" driving style/type.

An example of the use of this memory is that the "panic" braking is adapted as a function of your typical time it takes you to move your foot from the gas pedal to the brake. Make that move substantially quicker and you get "panic" braking, more braking power assist.

The "other" type of learning:

System sensors, engine and transmission sensors for instance, all have tolerances insofar as accuracy is concerned. As the car rolls out of the factory a default set of parameters are loaded with engineering assumptions of the actual accuracy of these sensors. Now as you drive the car day after day the system "learns" to correct/adjust the sensor signals as a function of the "real world" data stream now available. This learn continues as components wear.

Unplug the battery and ALL of the new learned parameters will get replaced by those factory defaults. Now the car will "act" differently for a few days, drive cycles, until those parameters can be corrected to match actual system components conditions.
  • usa1fanusa1fan Posts: 68
    edited October 2012
    "Maybe there's absolutely nothing wrong with mine and it's just not the greatest powertrain for city driving in traffic."

It's pretty much this one.

My 2.0l 4WD is still doing great. I've been intentionally trying to push it higher lately, staying in the right lane at 60mph (I-81, 60/65/70mph limits posted). I managed a 28.2 indicated, 27.8 calculated for the last fill up (last night). Two great pieces of news, for me, anyway:

1) Gas prices have gone even lower. The local Harrisonburg Walmart was selling regular unleaded at around $3.27/gal (using a preloaded Walmart card to get a 3 cent discount) for the past few days. Now most area stations have come down to about the same- the Sheetz are showing $3.29 (get a free Sheetz card, swipe it before the payment card at the pump, save another 3 cents / gal over that- so I paid $3.269- can't forget the sneaky .009 per gallon!). This is a trend I like!

2) On the way home (Broadway VA) from the Sheetz on University Blvd. (Harrisonburg, VA), my average fuel economy readout got as high as 36 mpg. Of course, this was still driving like a much older man (60). It's by far the highest I've seen though, and I have over 1500 miles on it as of the last tank, too, whether that actually makes a difference or not.

Observations backing up my reply to you h3ll3r-
    In town, leaving the Sheetz to get on I-81N, my average readout got down to around 15 mpg. This is several stoplights, ~35mph speed limits. If I caught all the lights while they were green, it stayed closer to 20 mpg, but once I started having to stop, and especially when taking off from the lights (even babying it, as I was), it dropped down quickly. I'm fairly certain that the turbos on these cars are set up to be providing boost at low RPMs. Combine that with a certainty that your car also gets up to 2500-3000 rpms when taking off (and not really dropping under 2000 until steady-state speed is achieved), and it suffers. Even light acceleration in my car causes the tach to hit those, which is why I'm sure yours is at least doing the same.

So, definitely *not* the best drivetrain for in-city stoplight-to-stoplight traffic. Great for cruising, even at low speeds, but not if you're going to be constantly stopping and starting over short distances. Again, probably a hybrid's territory, as most gas engines do worse than EPA city numbers in this situation (even your Kia did, though not as much so as your Escape). Or at least a mild hybrid, with start-stop tech, so as to gain maybe 1 or 2 mpg by *not* running the engine while idling at a light..

I hope you prove me wrong though. Good luck!
  • bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Posts: 377
    edited October 2012
    Great for cruising, even at low speeds, but not if you're going to be constantly stopping and starting over short distances

Yup. It's not a light vehicle, and Ford's transmissions shift too much and too hard, but its relatively aerodynamic. City will suffer while highway is quite good.
    Highway, cruise, FE could be a LOT better were the engine not derated in order to accommodate more reasonable FE on boost.
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Posts: 16
    Yep usa1fan, the way you describe it is EXACTLY how I see it too... any kind of stop and go greatly hurts the FE, but then if I'm able to coast (at 30-35 mph) without hitting too many red lights, then the mpg readout improves very rapidly...

Unfortunately it degrades rapidly as well during accelerations from a still position.

On "good" drives to pick up my daughter from school (10 miles round-trip through city) , I'll do 21-22 mpg... On a bad one (lots of red lights, traffic), I'll do 15-16 mpg.

Overall, on a tankful, I'm at 16 to 18 mpg, it's been pretty consistent over the previous few weeks so while I hope for some break-in improvements down the road (I'm at apprx 2000 miles on the odo), I'm not really counting on it at all.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    Now that y'all have exchanged email addresses, the rest of us will get back to reporting real world mpg for the Ford Escape. Come back in 3 or 4 years and let us know how it turned out. :D
    edited October 2012
    Any one who wishes can find me via google:

"pioneer 10" Osprey kellogg
  • Do you live in Montreal ?? I am having the same issues as you.... I am getting 13 mpg in the city !! I have problems with the door adjustment also (this car is terrible... I should get the new Santa Fe instead)... I went to the dealer this week and they said the same for me, I should wait for the first service (after 6000km only !!), but I do not believe that I will get something better than 15 mpg in the city.... I think that I will propose to ford to return my car and take a V8 mustang.... for sure I will have more fun with the same fuel "efficiency level" !
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Posts: 16
    I'm in Toronto... probably a similar kind of traffic!!
    What kind of range are you getting with the car? I'm getting about 380km so far with the tankful, with the check fuel light coming up at 320-330km.

Well I guess we'll see what they say at the first service, even though that's in a while... maybe it'll be better at that point.

Just thinking out loud here... I'm wondering if there could be ECU tweaks to be done, for people driving mostly in the city? Like, reduce the turbo's involvement a bit unless you floor it more... That's wishful thinking for sure, but I see in the UK that they got new ECU programmings that boost the 1.6L engine by about 20-30 hp so maybe there's some room to maneuver? The way I'm "forced" to "drive" the car to avoid abysmal FE, I'm probably not using more than 100 of the available ponies! ... I don't think I got the engine above 4000rpm the entire week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMBgOzrADuk
    edited October 2012
    If you're driving the 401, you're going to be lucky to get 10 mph and a bent fender every six weeks. That's my candidate for the worst highway in North America. I think the truckers must all remove their governors on that road. :P
  • automelon48automelon48 Posts: 101
    edited October 2012
    I am curious to know what kind of gas everyone is using. Are you using Regular (87) or Premium (91)?

For the best mileage try to find gas with NO Ethanol. The more Ethanol in your fuel, the more you will use. The EPA ratings are made with 100% gasoline, not E10 or E15.

Expect at least 3-4% more fuel consumption with E10. (according to EPA) This will vary from one type of engine to another.
    Most gas stations do not put Ethanol in their 91 octane Premium fuel. Find out what your gas station serves. It varies from one station to the next and one city/region to the next.
    On the other hand, 93 or 94 octane fuel is sometimes Premium (91) spiked with Ethanol, which raises the octane rating. In any case, 100% gasoline should give best mileage.

My Escape arrives in just under 2-weeks, (2.0 FWD) so I will be sharing my real-world results when I put some fuel through it.
    (Most every 2.0 at the dealerships in my area are 4WD. I had to order a FWD and I did so, because it uses about 7% less fuel and saves me almost $2K off the price)

Also, just a footnote; I bought an Escape because I need the power to tow a trailer in the summer and I wanted something fun and economical for the rest of the time. This seems like a good balance of all three of my criteria.
    Pure-gas.org will let you find ethanol free gas stations in your area.
  • Good luck with that.... Nothing within 50 miles of where I live (metro area with over 1 MM population)..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Funny, I'm in the deep boonies and there's some a mile or so away (maybe being close to the lake helps and the marina people buy it?). They dropped the regular flavor though and only offer premium ethanol free.
  • premium ethanol free

That sounds like some good stuff, there.... mmmmmm... :P

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Regular at that station is $3.55. Premium is $4.45. It better be some good stuff.
  • usa1fanusa1fan Posts: 68
    Ours is (or was, yesterday..) running around $3.29 for regular. I haven't paid attention to what premium is, but I may be trying a few tanks of that soon to see what kind of effect there is on fuel economy with these little turbo engines. My 08 Malibu LTZ V6 saw no effect at all (not really expected though- rated for regular, with nothing from Chevy / GM indicating it would be different with other grades). Since Ford has rated the power higher with higher grade gas, maybe it'll impact economy too?
    I think drivers should run the octane that their car is tuned for, and the gas cap or manual will tell you that. (link)

To quote Mr. Shiftright around here, premium gas isn't a doggie treat for your car. :)
    "..impact economy too?.."

No. unless you mean $$ economy.

Premium gas will only make a difference at or near WOT, when the cylinders are being fully filled with A/F mixture and thus effective CR = base/native CR.