Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    edited July 2013
    Looks good. You can test it out and write the first review. The rocket boxes from Yak and Thule are amazingly expensive. Nowadays, unless I'm toting canoes, everything lives inside the minivan. In the old Tercel days, I'd cram all sorts of stuff up under the canoes. :blush:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    Funny thing is, Thule has a manufacturing presence here in CT.
    I'm a bit concerned because the antenna is positioned just in front of the rear hatch, so there isn't a lot of room between it and the rear cross bar(about a foot).
    Since we haven't been on a road trip yet, it will be difficult to determine the effect of the cargo box on the trip fuel mileage.
    My guess is 1 to 2 mpg, but I've seen lots of stories claiming a 3 to 4 mph hit. Maybe pointy canoes do better, but unless I hit a headwind, my mpg rarely suffered more than 1 mpg with a boat up there.

Or so I like to tell myself. :-)
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    I considered this one a couple of years ago. It doesn't impede the airflow.

Saddlebag Cargo Carrier

I didn't buy it because my 2008 Escape Hybrid can't easily be fitted with a hitch.
    I have tons of drybags from boating but for most any of these, it would be a good idea to put stuff in garbage or heavier disposal bags in case of leaks.

The hitch carriers and this carrier would interfere with my frequent use of the back hatch, but it shouldn't hurt your mpg like something on the roof.
    That's an interesting option, which I had not seen before.
    We are going to have a bike hitch attached, so I'm not sure they can work together.
    I bought the box I was looking at and took the Explorer to pick it up, as it fits inside.
    The Explorer must have been mad because the rear hatch was reluctant to open all the way and when I tried to help it along, one of the struts snapped off.
    After a few minutes I was able to re attach it, but it's broken, so point made!
  • tjack129tjack129 Posts: 2
    Just returned from 525 mile (each way) trip to Daytona for July 4th race. Lot's of interstate driving with some 4 lane highway driving. Running 75 on the I and 60-65 on highway when possible. My cute little Escape Titanium 2wd gave me 24.5 going down and 27.3 coming home. More than pleased with that mileage cause I was pushing it pretty good for an old man like me. Mileage improves greatly when you drop speed down around 60. Around 6500 miles on it and mileage seems to be improving some. Use regular gas all the time.....might do better on premium but I have not tried it yet. No other problems with it......just a pretty neat little ride over all and est of all the little wifey just loves it.
  • pdawg1pdawg1 Posts: 22
    Our Escape 2.0 4WD has been improving on mileage consistently since purchase new. The Trip 2 figures are never reset, so I know my overall mileage for thousands of miles and it has gone up to 24.2 from less than 22.0. I am right at the mileage for the first oil change and tire rotation, 5000 miles and expect mileage to improve even more.
    Side Bar: We have the full sun roof with automatic shade, with the windows down and the shade closed, this thing flaps like a wounded bird. Anybody else notice this?
  • escapeismescapeism Posts: 39
    Oh yes, I've noticed. Not a good design at all.
  • automelon48automelon48 Posts: 101
    SEL 2.0 FWD
    After 33 tanks and 10,000 miles my overall average is 24.25 Mpg. Best tank so far is 30.0Mpg which was all highway at 68-69 Mph with cruise control. (round trip, same day)
    Overall average and Highway mileage are right on EPA figures. (with my driving style)
    (I could get worse mileage if my right foot was as heavy as it wants to be)
    I am still gathering data on fuel grades and with / without Ethanol.
    I have done a bit of trailer towing as well, so I am quite happy with the mileage results.
    Had the dealer apply TSB 13-2-1 while I was in for the works.
    When I left home the DTE read 355, just filled up.
    Drove 20+ miles to the dealer and when I got the Escape back, the DTE read 423!
    That's more like it.
  • That's nothing, I've been averaging 34mpgs on the highway doing 65-70 with my 2.0L Titanium, averaging 28mpgs overall!!!!
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Posts: 54
    FWD or AWD? Hand calculated MPGs or indicated?
  • Fwd, trip computer readout.
    The update for the DTE took about an hour, so it was a lot more than that.
    My wife likes the quad info display. I only saw it briefly, but I think it displays fuel mileage, distance to empty, distance traveled, and gallons used.
  • pdawg1pdawg1 Posts: 22
    Still pleased with my gas mileage and it is getting better, but also still have a concern on the size of the fuel tank. At 50 miles to empty, we put in only 11 gallons, which means there should be 4 gallons left in our 15 gallon tank. However, getting close to 25 mpg, we should be putting in 13 gallons. Has anybody else noticed this calculation...............?
  • izedamanizedaman Posts: 16
    the extra 2 gallons is a 'reserve' most places dont list the reserve tanks as the full capacity. they should have stated its a 13 gallon tank.
    edited July 2013
    There has been a fair bit of discussion about this. The original program in the Escape shows a Distance To Empty which is very conservative. You can have that re-programmed by the dealer. (as noted in recent posts)
    Also, the DTE is based on your Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE) which is your average fuel economy for the last 500 miles. So, if your previous tank of gas was (for example) mostly city driving, idling etc, then that mileage would be factoring into your current Distance To Empty.

I have run my DTE all the way down to zero miles and put in 14.X gallons of gas.
    Do you mean to say that after the DTE update, you have a "new" quad display? Showing gallons used etc???
    I assumed that the DTE update would only affect the numbers seen for DTE. I didn't know that it would add more information into a "quad display".
    Please confirm or post a picture if you can.
    Yes, I am saying there is a new display option in the screen between the tach and speedometer.
    You can try googling it.