Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• reniprenip Posts: 1
    I got the 2013 Escape 2.0L AWD and I must say the gas mileage is so bad I have never driven a car that uses this much fuel.. I put 47L in it and I only made it 245km that's 19.1L/100km WTF.. I might as well be driving a hummer. I mostly do city driving but even then it shouldn't be this bad. This is terrible!! This last trip will get me a little farther because I also did some highway this time but even now I went 270km and the fuel light is about to come on. :(

i understand what they advertise is the average and I wouldn't be complaining if it was using a little above average but this is just insane. I should have bought the honda CRV :( So after all the extras I'm out 40 grand. Let me tell you.. this car won't get us far in the zombie apocalypse..
  • Nope. Not comparing. Just like the Volt a whole lot better. Tired of driving a 13 mpg Escape. Worse mileage of any car I've owned, including 2 six cylinder Nissan Pathfinders. Drove cars the same way. Even drove the Escape much more conservatively to try to improve mileage, but no go. I was so disappointed in the car that I couldn't bear making the payments, so I got a Volt. Of course I wasn't comparing them. They're totally different cars!
  • tinycadon, it was worse than that. I took quite a loss on the 2013 Escape. I just didn't want to keep paying for it anymore. I'm much happier with the car I have now. Not the same kind of car (Chevy Volt), but I love it. Very disappointed in the Escape.
  • automelon48, it was a FWD.
  • It sure seems like the FWD Escapes get a whole lot better gas mileage than the AWD
    I do not hear many, if any, people complain about 1.6's or 2.0's FWD models, only the AWD
    Right now I have a AWD 2.0 loaner till next week I am getting 18 around town. :(
    It will be interesting when I get my FWD 1.6 back from the recall and drive it for the 1st time. :surprise:
    I signed the contract, than came the recall, my car arrived, but they did not let me drive it off the lot cause of the recall. :confuse:
  • Ugh!!! I just talked to a dealer yesterday who told me Ford is now giving $2,500 credit to the Escape owners who want to trade them in for another Ford. So basically they're admitting the car is a lemon, I wish I had just kept the '10 Escape I had, what a HUGE mistake!!!
  • Ford’s 2.0-Liter EcoBoost Engine Wins Second Consecutive Ward’s 10 Best Engines Trophy; GT500 Engine Also Honored

Powerful, fuel-efficient 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected EcoBoost® engine wins for exceptional performance in Ford Taurus and Focus ST

Shelby GT500 5.8-liter V8 –the world’s highest-horsepower regular production V8 engine – also a winner

No competitor has won more 10 Best Engines awards than Ford in the last five years

An EcoBoost engine has won a 10 Best Engines trophy every year since launch

2.0-liter EcoBoost® Four-cylinder Engine | 5.8-liter V8 Engine
    Click to download images.

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 12, 2012 – Ford Motor Company’s fuel efficient 2.0-liter EcoBoost® four-cylinder engine is one of two Ford engines this year to win a highly coveted 10 Best Engines trophy from the editors of WardsAuto World.

The 662-horsepower 5.8-liter V8 – the world’s most powerful production V8 engine – in the 2013 Shelby GT500 has also won a 10 Best Engines trophy.

Each fall, Ward’s editors evaluate the latest powertrains from the world’s automakers in rigorous testing to determine which engines deliver the best blend of performance, value, fuel efficiency and refinement.

Ford has won eight 10 Best Engines awards in the last five years – more than any other domestic automaker and tied with Germany’s BMW for most wins.

The 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected engine, produced in Valencia, Spain, is Ford’s global workhorse EcoBoost engine, powering everything from the rear-wheel-drive Falcon sedan in Australia to vans in Europe and the high-performance Focus ST. Last year, the 2.0-liter won a 10 Best Engines award in the Ford Edge crossover.

“The EcoBoost Taurus and Focus ST really show just how versatile and capable the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine is,” said Joe Bakaj, Ford vice president of Powertrain Engineering.

“The Focus ST is the first performance application for EcoBoost, and it really delivers the goods,” he added. “The 2.0-liter EcoBoost in the Taurus replaces a V6 and delivers great all-around performance, along with best-in-class 32 mpg on the highway.”

In the Focus ST, the 2.0-liter cranks out 252 horsepower and 270 lb.-ft. of torque. Magazine reviews have shown Focus 0-60 mph acceleration in the mid-six-second range. In Taurus, the 2.0-liter engine has a completely different demeanor. It is exceptionally smooth and quiet and provides outstanding performance and best-in-class large car fuel economy at 32 mpg highway.

“There are lots of 2.0-liter turbocharged engines out there now,” said Drew Winter, editor in chief of WardsAuto World magazine. “What impresses us most this year is EcoBoost’s versatility. It is very entertaining as a performance car engine in the Focus ST. But what really amazes us is that it also is a perfect match for the two-ton Taurus family sedan. Even loaded down with passengers, the engine delivers all the power needed and better fuel economy than a V6.”

The 5.8-liter V8 engine in the Shelby GT500 impressed Ward’s staff not just with its incredible 662 horsepower, but also its efficiency. The GT500 is not subject to a gas guzzler tax, and is rated at 15 mpg city and 24 mpg highway.

“Very few engines deliver the balance of power and fuel efficiency the 5.8-liter does,” said Jamal Hameedi, GT500 chief nameplate engineer. “The team spent countless hours dyno testing, tweaking and calibrating to make sure this engine would deliver the high-level power and performance Shelby customers expect. But they also took into account the reality of today’s volatile fuel prices. All SVT engineers are very proud of the GT500, its engine, and the responsible fuel efficiency it delivers.”

Added Winter: “The 5.8-liter V8 in the Shelby GT500 is the world’s most powerful production V8 engine, yet it is so efficient at squeezing power from every drop of gasoline that there is no gas guzzler tax. It actually delivers better fuel economy than many engines with a fraction of the horsepower. Plus it squeaks in under our $55,000 price cap. That’s pretty incredible.”

Since launch in summer 2009, Ford has sold more than 520,000 EcoBoost-equipped vehicles globally. Ford’s global family of EcoBoost engines consists of the award-winning 1.0-liter three-cylinder (coming to North America next year in the 2014 Fiesta); the 1.6-liter available in Escape and Fusion; the 2.0-liter available in Focus ST, Fusion, Taurus, Edge, Escape and Explorer; and the 3.5-liter V6 in the Taurus SHO, an engine also available in the F-150, Flex, Explorer Sport and Lincoln vehicles.

EcoBoost combines downsizing with turbocharging, direct fuel injection and variable valve timing. Ford holds more than 125 patents for its EcoBoost technologies. This year’s 10 Best Engines award is the third for an EcoBoost engine. Last year, the 2.0-liter in the Edge won, while the 3.5-liter in the Taurus SHO won in 2010.
  • Lol! Really dude? Quote: "It's a great car! Like night and day compared to the Escape." Why did you buy a SUV/CUV when you really wanted a plug in hybrid? :confuse: Jus' sayin' makes no sense to me. But it's your money throw it around if you want to.
  • mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    edited December 2012
    This is all interesting to me,we have a 2010 escape v6 awd,I get about 26 mpg
    at 75 mph,this is of course long highway runs.
    For the price they are charging,MSRP anyway this does not look to good for
    Ford once the word on the poor mileage gets out,besides all the recalls.
    One piece of advice if you are looking at a new car,test drive it,reset the trip computer,take an extended high speed run,if that particular car is not at or near the stated MPG,try a different one. If none are close then,your on your own as to whether you want to buy it.
    The dealers have been telling people for years the mileage will get better with use, never found that to be the case,have owned many new cars. I get the same on this escape as when it was new,my last actual car was an 07 TL
    got 33 on the road,when new and when I turned it in. Are these little turbos different,perhaps.
    Old Mike
  • Good idea, except for the idea about comparing each for extended high speed runs. That part makes sense only for those who routinely drive that way. The rest are better served by driving them in similar conditions to the way they usually drive (ie.- all those complaining about city fuel economy should drive in similar conditions and as aggressively / or not, as they usually drive).

From what I can see, the 2.0L AWD I have right now will likely break 30mpg on all-highway driving, if I drive it right. In regular highway driving, the V6 can probably average about the same as the 2.0L, but probably NOT get the same 'highest' that I could. In town (heavy city, heavy right foot), the 2.0L, and from what everyone here's saying, even the 1.6L, most likely suck down a lot more fuel than non-turbocharged vehicles.

BTW, no offense, but ANY hybrid had better @#$@ well do MUCH better than these, especially in mixed or all-city driving! That's the whole point of the hybrid- where ICE-powered vehicles are least efficient, the hybrids shouldn't be. So if a Volt doesn't, someone bought a lemon or wasted a lot of extra dough. (I personally like the Volt too, but different cars, different classes, different expectations, different costs, just plain different- so no real comparison is possible)
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    So, you think Ford is admitting they have a lemon... wrong. Ford is realizing that there's a bunch of Chicken Little's out there who will give them a perfectly good car with really low miles to resell at a great profit and then they'll sell you another car with a discount you could have negotiated with a salesman and make even more profit.
  • It's "Hush Money," plain and simple!
  • A friend of mine tracks his mileage on a website called fuelly.com I don't use the site myself, but it does look interesting.
    I checked it out recently for the Escape to see what it showed.
    Basically, it shows that the 2013's are averaging as good or better than any of the previous generation Escapes. Many owners, many thousands of miles reported.
    link title

My average tank of my first 7 tanks is 24.25 Mpg in my 2.0 FWD. Just slightly ahead of the 2013 reported average. My best was 27.6 and worst 20.6.

Unfortunately the website does not seem to differentiate between engines and 2WD/4WD. It is just an average of all fill-ups from all configurations.
    Very pleased with my Escape. (mileage and everything else)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,752
    How can you term it 'Hush Money'? How many owners had a problem, 12 or so, out of how many thousands?
    They want their customers to be comfortable with what they have.
  • Ohhhh, I don't know, because Ford is betting the house on this vehicle and they want to minimize the blowback from angry owners??? And these so called "PROBLEMS" aren't just "PROBLEMS" they are vehicles that are catching fire, and this is the 3rd time they've had to recall the Escape for it! Glad you think it's no biggie, I happen to think it is.
  • I have a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD in Southern California and after 4000 miles, I am still only getting 17/20/23 mpg average. There is an article regarding Consumer Reports questioning the mpg on the Ford C-Max. Ford says 47 mpg, Consumer Reports could only get 38 mpg. Ford is talking to the EPA regarding the numbers...but the article brings out a good point. Ford tests according to the EPA "Standards" which includes "Highway" Speeds at 48 mph. When increased to 65 to 75 mph, people lose as much as 20% fuel Economy ~38 mpg from a target of 47 mpg. I noticed in my owners manual for the 2013 Ford Escape it states you can improve your mpg 15% if you reduce your speed to 50 mph on the Freeway...combine that with the 5-10% reduction in fuel economy caused by 10% Ethanol, and you can explain my poor fuel economy. This leaves me with just one question - "Why would Ford tune an engine for 50 mph on the highway? That performs 15% less when driving the speed limit? Do they want to put my family in danger by driving too slow? I'm taking my car in next week. We will see what they say.
  • I wanted to report that I am getting nowhere near the advertised gas mileage on my 2013 Escape 2.0 AWD. On a 500 mile trip all highway, I averaged 17.6-18.2! Half the time my cruise was set at 70 MPH. In the City it's about exactly the same. I have 1700 miles on the car right now. Not sure if there's a "break-in" period, but I hope it gets better. ADvertising 28/29 for the AWD 2.0 and only getting 18 on the highway is a MAJOR problem. Am I wrong? Or overreacting? Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Chris
    PS- Only other issue is that it rides very rough with the 19" wheels in the city, other than that I love the car. Acceleration is great, features are awesome, park assist etc. etc.
  • Having traded in a vehicle that got about 16 mpg, on a good day, I'm okay with the mpg. It is the peanut sized tank I take issue with (more on that later).

I have the 2.0L 4WD, and just turned 1,200 miles. Based on my last two tanks I am getting combined mpg of 23.3 mpg. Most of my driving is city (guessing 75% city and 25% highway). based on the real time readout, I estimate that I get around 21 mpg city and 29 or 30 highway. I will also add the mpg indicator in the vehicle provided quite accurate (the readout for each tank full of gas was within 0.1 mpg of the calculated actual).

So, as I said, I don't take issue with the mpg. What I hate is the range! Refueling shortly atfter the low fuel indicator goes on, I'm getting only 250 miles on a tank! Has anyone confirmed that the tank on this vehicle is 15.1 gallons (run out of gas and refueled to full)? Here is why I ask. Besides calculating my mpg when I fill up, I also monitor via the tripmeter (reset at each fill up). On my last two fill ups (one resulted in 22.8 mpg and the other in 23.8 mpg) the "miles to empty" indicated that I had 46 and 47 miles respectively (matching the mpg reading). Here's the issue -- when I filled up, each time the vehicle took 11 gallons of gas, meaning that with a 15.1 gallon tank, I had 4.1 gallons remaining. Given the mpg, my range until empty should have read closer to 95 miles, and not 46 or 47. On each tank of gas, I traveled about 250 miles -- this was stated accurately on the tripmeter. So, I contacted Ford and asked them to 1) confirm that the tank is actually 15.1 gallons and not 13.1 gallons, and 2) verify whether or not the "miles to empty" calculation provides an intentional false reading, that includes a buffer of 2 extra gallons? After 3 days, Ford responded by saying "take the vehicle to your dealer!"

Anyone else monitor their mpg and system readouts as I have described above? what are your results? Are your "Miles to empty" reported accurately, or does it seem to under-estimate the actual range?
  • Chris, the 2.0 AWD is rated 21/28 City/Hwy.
    You said your cruise control was set for 70Mph half the time. What speeds were you driving for the other half of the time?

Cruise control is very inefficient if you are driving on any hilly terrain. Not sure if there were any hills on your trip.
    Were you driving against the wind at any point in your trip?
    70 Mph is not the most efficient cruising speed. If you are looking to get the EPA estimate, you should be driving closer to 60 Mph.

What kind of gas? I think I sound like a broken record on this topic, but the gas you buy will vary your mileage.
    The EPA uses 91-93 octane Ethanol-free gas for testing.(from everything I have read) Try to find some 91 octane Ethanol free fuel, to see if this has any effect.
    I would not expect more than a 5% improvement after break-in.
  • I agree, the tank is way to small, Ive tracked my purchases on fueleconomy.gov the most i have ever put in the tank is 12.38g and I usually fill up when the lights on and when I have 30-40 miles left on the empty gague.
  • Wistrod, I've taken mine down to the E on the gauge & filled up 13.3 gallons. there maybe another gallon or less in there after that, but what I do know is that I've been told that some of the tank's capacity can not be used and that running it down to the bone will cause your fuel pump to burn up without the gas to cool it down. It is what it is i guess?
  • wistrodwistrod Posts: 14
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I have been finding. There is no way the tank is 15.1 gallons, least not useable gallons. Per your data, if the tank is 15.1 gallons, and you put in about 12.4, you ought to have 2.7 gallons left. If you only have 30 to 40 miles in range, that would mean your mpg is between 11 and 15!
  • wistrodwistrod Posts: 14
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the response. I've read the same thing about running down to empty (potential problems that can occur). They Ford) ought to be made to specify the "useable" fuel tank size and not the total capacity. Seems to me there is only a little more than 13 gallons of useable fuel on board, providing a total range (based on my mileage) of about 280 miles. More realistically, since I will usually fill up when the low fuel level light goes on, my true range is about 245 miles. That pretty much sucks! Why the engineers didn't come up with a way to mount a 19 or 20 gallon tank is beyond me!
  • I feel you, and im not even in the AWD. 2.0 gas boost engine. The main thing is my other cars I have driven get posted EPA est. Using the same cheap walmart gas, im the same driver, have the same habbits. live in the same area. However in my Velositer I get a check every year because they overstated the MPG's.
    Im not even running the A/C, im know its gonna be worse in the summer, when I use the push to start to cool off the car.... bla still a fun car but the MPG did play alot into me buying the car.
    so now I need to buy high octaine gas, The info I had from Ford said no, that would only give me a boost in HP not MPG. And I need to buy gas with out corn.... I dont think that is possible living by Houston... even out of town gas stops have 10% E . So there is no way I can achieve those EPA numbers. and yes my tires are filled with nitrogen at posted on the door limits. and I have no cargo other then my big butt. I do log my fule at the www.fueleconomy.gov site. I only see 4 people recording for the 2.0 T :(
    As more of these hit the roads I think alot of people are gonna be pissed
  • mbb21mbb21 Posts: 7
    I have been lurking on this subject for a while and reading up on the mileage results people are getting under various conditions. I have a Titanium 2.0 4WD with about 1675 miles on it. I am in flat Miami, FL - no hills, and drive 75/25 city/highway and also use 93 octane fuel. During all of this time my mileage has averaged 19.3 mpg according to the on board computer. I have also been measuring the mileage by hand and so far for the last few tanks it has been 18.92, 18.70 and 19.26 mpg. Also, when looking in the submenu under the MPG display, I think it is called the EcoMode, it shows my driving with all green leaves, in other words, I am driving as fuel efficiently as possible as judged by the car's own system.

Given that the car is rated by the EPA at 21/28 city/highway, my numbers are not too far off from the bottom range. However, this is not what I expected or expect! Doing the math and given the EPA numbers, I should be averaging 22.75 mpg given the 75/25 percent city/highway driving that I do. Right now I am under that mark by 16.7%, that is quite a miss! So even if the system improves by 5% by further break in mileage my mpg will still be under the claim by over 11.6%. Not exactly what I expected.

The second beef I have with the car is its limited range. I now have to gas up almost every week and at most get 250 miles on a stretch before I need to fill up. On the last fill up where I got the 19.26 mpg reading the system says that my range is 273 miles before the next fill. Too bad Ford did not put an extra gallon sized tank on.

Outside of these two things the car is a blast and I thoroughly enjoy it. It is a great ride, fun to ride automobile that could have been made just great with a little extra care and effort from Ford.
  • usa1fanusa1fan Posts: 68
    edited December 2012
    See my previous posts here and in the 2013 Escape fuel economy topic; I get advertised numbers using regular 10% ethanol (Walmart too!). So it's definitely possible. I've yet to have a single tank that was 100% highway, so my current high of over 29 mpg for a tank can still be bettered. That tank was achieved at around 5000 miles on the car, using non-ethanol 93 octane gas (whether that had a real impact or not will take further experimentation). Regardless, I routinely see 25+ mixed (80% highway?), using that Walmart gas..

Unfortunately that means one of two things-
    1. You (and a lot of others here) bought a lemon (and I didn't), or
    2. Your conditions / driving aren't really in tune with the car's most efficient operation (regardless of what the DIC tells you).

No offense intended, but all indications are pointing to #2.
  • I have the 1.6L FWD & only get between 235-260mi of mixed driving, but I have been able to get 408mi / 31mpg on an all highway trip doing 65-75
    edited December 2012
    So are you going to take the 'hush money'?
    My wife's 2.0 AWD is averaging 250-275 between fills @22 mpg.
    She is going to try premium gas at some point to see if it makes a difference.
    She was filling up between 275-300 in the 09 Escape V6 AWD.
    Fuel mileage was a little lower.
  • No, I'll either trade out to another manufacturer & take the hit now, or wait until spring or summer after I paid it down a little more. I should've listened to the folks who said don't buy a car in its 1st year, live and learn!
    edited December 2012
    Let me ask you this, did you experience the overheating problem with your Escape? Recalls can involve a large number of vehicles, but usually affect only a few.
    I have bought quite a few bleeding edge Fords over the years. Some have had real problems, most not.