Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• Because Ethanol destroys Boat engines and their Gas lines and other power equipment, Therefore the EPA allows marinas and some Landscapers (professional) know where to buy Ethanol free fuel as well as it destroys their power equipment as well even when treated with marine grade stabil!
  • I usually drive in the "Intelligent 4x4 screen" to see how much power is being applied to the front wheels. I have noticed that ALL the tires have power applied during takeoff and to about 200 or 300 yards and maybe farther (getting on it and sneaking up on it makes no difference).
    I was wondering how many of us getting 22-23 mpg are seeing power applied to ALL wheels during this time...
    I brought this up to my service tech and he didn't have a good answer yet.

Passed 2000 miles and climbing, regular fuel, still no better than 22 to 23 mpg 60/40 split.
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Posts: 16
    That's a great observation!! I see exactly the same thing, where all 4 wheels are involved for a little while every time you accelerate from low speeds, and it seems to taper off after a little while (10 secs or so?).

Does that make any sense? I'd expect that kind of AWD system to be involved only when there's wheel slippage, not all the time on acceleration, especially on super smooth takeoffs?

Doing a lot of stop and go in heavy traffic, it seems like more than 50% of the distance I cover is with all 4 wheels getting power, which may help explain my abysmal city mileage?

I'm also very curious to see others chime in!
  • usa1fanusa1fan Posts: 68
    edited November 2012
    I'm getting 24-26 mpg routinely right now, and mine does this too. It probably does contribute to the extra-low stop-and-go city fuel economy you guys are seeing. I just have enough non-stop-and-go cruising to offset the effect (longer distances before lights, highway and interstate cruising, keeping it at 65 or under where possible).

I feel for you, if this is the case, and if you have no way of avoiding all the stop-and-go driving to improve your fuel economy. On the other hand, I quite like the feel when taking off, especially compared to most FWD-only vehicles I've driven. The Escape feels much more like most RWD or 4WD vehicles I've owned, in that I don't get any steering wheel tugging (even lightly) as I take off. Even under heavier acceleration I don't notice torque steer, though I've read at least one post somewhere from a 2013 FWD Escape owner that *has*.
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Posts: 16
    So it's probably the way it's been programmed and all of them probably behave that way... For sure I'm also happy with how the car feels and drives and all, I've never felt any torque steer either!

However, while I'm just an end-user and not a car engineer, this 4WD system doesn't seem optimized enough to me. I've read online that: "Ford explained the system analyzes data from 25 external signals, including wheel speed, accelerator pedal position and steering wheel angle, assessing road conditions and driver input 20 times faster than the blink of an eye."

Well obviously, there's no need for 10-15 seconds of full 4WD when doing a straight, smooth, gentle low-acceleration takeoff with no wheel spin, in city traffic! And this happens all the time.

I fully understand the benefits when driving harder, or on slippery surfaces, etc, then performance becomes part of the equation and we'd want all the 4WD help we can get...

Hoping that this is software-upgradable stuff that can be further optimized down the road!
  • dizneydizney Posts: 19
    Took another 96 mile trip today! 85% HIGHWAY. Easy on start ups found the sweet spot to be at 53 mph !! Very excited with todays results of 38.1 MPG!
    Driving habits dictate the mileage... Faster = More Fuel . IMO mpg has nothing to do with octane or ethanol. I used regular gas with 10% ethanol.
    Love my little : 1.6L Ecoboost FWD ...................... :) :) :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Hey everyone,

My in-laws purchased a 2013 Escape 1.6L EcoBoost AWD and are seeing terrible fuel efficiency. There is 1,300 miles on the car and they are getting 19.4mpg. I know that "your mileage will vary" and there is a "break-in period". I'm in the car business and have been for many years and I have never seen a car so far off the mark before. They drive about 50/50 city/highway.

Wondering if any of you experiencing this type of efficiency have seen an increase in mileage over time, without using Premium fuel. Thanks.
  • dobaddobad Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2013 Ford Escape FWD with the 1.6 L motor. Driving like Miss Daisy, mostly highway, cruise at 70 mph, my first 87 octane tank scored 19 mpg US. My second tank appears to be getting 20 mpg, neither of which are impressive. I had a 1990 Ford Aerostar which did that well, and have a Saturn SL1 which gets 40 mpg so I know my driving is smooth. I know someone who bought the Mazda CX5 and is getting close to EPA estimates on the first tank, driving the same speed or slightly faster. Driving 53 mph is not reasonable to me either, not safe or practical where I live. There may be a number of used 2013 Ford Escapes on the market within the next year.
    edited November 2012
    Sorry ! 70 MPH = MORE FUEL ............
    I have the same 1.6 L FWD and just a week ago at speeds 53 - 55 MPH got 38.1 MPG !!! :) :) :)

I'm OLD & SLOW and save $$$$$$$$$$$$ LOL LOL
  • I took a 400mi round trip within the first 2 weeks of owning my 1.6L fwd se, fully loaded with dogs and camping gear, got 27mpg driving 70-80 on the way out and 31mpg driving 65-75 on the way back, all on 87 octane. The biggest gripe I have is that I now have 2 less gallons for driving range as the 2010 Escape I had (13 gallons vs 15 gallons of useable gas). 27mpg in the old one was good enough for 400mi, now 27mpg gets me 350mi on 1 tank. :cry:
  • I am having the same issues..... in the city 13.4 mpg and on the road only 24 mpg....
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    My in-laws took it in to Ford for an oil change, they like doing it very early for the first one, and the Ford service writer said it could take up to 7,000 miles to break in.....dios mio!
  • Now 2 weeks old, I have a bit of meaningful mileage info to pass along.
    I have put 3 tanks of gas through the Escape 2.0 FWD so far.

Tank 1) 20.7 MPG or 11.3L/100km 50 city/50 Hwy but LOTS of idling time and VERY snowy roads
    Unknown fuel as it came with a full tank at vehicle delivery.
    Tank 2) 24.3 MPG or 9.7L/100km 70pct city/30 Hwy temp -8 to +8C, Shell 91
    Tank 3) 26.2 MPG or 8.9L/100km 20 city/80 Hwy temp -13C to -9C, Shell 91

Notes: Hwy cruising speed 66Mph or 108kph SNOW TIRES installed since day 1. Cold weather conditions, altitude 3300 feet above sea level.
    I chose Shell 91, not necessarily for the octane, but to ensure I did not have Ethanol (for test purposes) I look forward to trying some 87 in the future for comparison purposes.
    On tank 3 while I was driving on the hwy, the display showed 29.4 MPG or 7.9 L/100km
    On tank 1 there was probably 1Hour or more of idling between the dealer delivery demo and me sitting in the vehicle learning everything there is to learn with My Ford Touch etc.

I calculated mileage at the pump to compare with the vehicle display. All 3 tanks have been within 2% of the display which is very impressive. My last vehicle display was out 10%+

It is really easy to enjoy the Boost more than the Eco. If I drive without a lot of Boost it is quite reasonable on fuel. If I enjoy the Boost, then I get what I paid for. (240HP and 270lb/ft) Nice.
    It is nice to have the option of economy or fun. It's an ongoing argument that my brain has with my right foot.

This vehicle is rated 22/30, so given the conditions I think my mileage is right in line with EPA estimate. I will add more info as time goes by.
  • I went to the dealer to complain about the car and to fix the adjustment of the front door (I received the car with another problem + the fuel consumption).
    Ford give me a rented car (a hyundai accent 2013) to replace my Ford Escape. I was upset to receive a sub compact to replace an SUV, in another hand I was happy to get 33mpg vs 15mpg with the Escape in the same condition (The dealer said that I am getting poor millage because I do not know how to drive !!).
    I am looking forward to see if the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will do the same as they did with Hyundai and Kia (Korean manufacture's)

"The problem was discovered after compliance testing in a lab run by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency revealed that randomly selected Hyundai and Kia vehicles were not meeting their advertised 40 miles-per-U.S.-gallon highway fuel consumption rating. Hyundai attributed the incorrect ratings to “procedural errors” at a testing facility in South Korea.
    "

I will start to put some videos in the YOUTUBE showing the real millage of the brand new 2013 Ford Escape.
    I think it will be a good opportunity to show to other customers that this is not a fuel efficient vehicle !!!
  • I couldn't stand it anymore. I didn't want to keep paying for a car that I didn't want. It didn't get the mileage I was expecting. I bit the bullet and traded it in for a lease on a 2013 Chevy Volt. It's a great car! Like night and day compared to the Escape. It's a shame that Ford marketed this car for the mileage. It wasn't exactly the smartest financial move I've ever made. It didn't seem like I was going to get anywhere with Ford. Besides, it had some weird transmission quirk too. Took about 5 seconds to engage when changing directions. Ford said it was still in "learning mode".
    The Volt is an amazing car. Lots of incentives and rebates too. Not looking back. Not sure if I'll buy a Ford again.
    AWD must be the problem IMO !
    My FWD highway is always inj the 30's MPG.
    Even a few weeks ago got a 38.1 MPG :)
  • rpmura, do you mind telling how much of a hit you took? I'm thinking the same thing that you actually did & am concerned how much of a "hit" I would be looking at? I'm thinking about 2k from what I now owe would be acceptable for me. Thanks
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    I agree, even though I have a FWD 2.0L, with temps in the low 20's I'm still around 24.9 combined and if I can get it to 25.0 and keep it there, I'm pleased.
  • Really? You're comparing an Escape to a Chevy Volt? That makes no sense. Why didn't you consider a Chevy Eqinox? Why would you even shop for a SUV if you really wanted a plug in hybrid?

BTW I have a Titanium AWD and I'm getting about 25 MPG (60/40 Hwy/City).
  • SEL AWD 20.l EcoBoost, right at 4000 miles, still getting between 25-26 mpg (also 60/40). I haven't bothered resetting the second trip display since buying the car, and it is showing 25.8 mpg right now. As we've said (lots of times before), these engines drink the gas heavily in stop and go city traffic (speeds 35mph and under, frequent stoplights). Even worse if you're a typical driver- that is, impatient, heavy foot between lights, afraid to make the people behind you slow down even 1 mph in the race to the next light (which also means you probably accelerate quickly, then slow down / stop suddenly while you wait for the next light, rather than just catching it as it goes back green..).