Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• gmen97gmen97 Posts: 2
    h3113r if you read my post I was referring to gas used only not the reserve in the tank. I'm complaining that the 4 gallon reserve does not allow a person to gauge what additional miles they can travel. My MPG calculations were in fact based solely on gasoline used and miles traveled. My wife used 11 gallons and traveled 255 miles = 23 MPG. These numbers have nothing to do with the 4 gallon reserve in the tank.
  • Prior to purchase of the Escape 2013 Titanium 2.0 engine, the spec sheet on the glass advertised the Escape as getting 21 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. Mileage started at 11.8 mpg. I discussed with the dealer's salesman. He advised me to wait until I got 1000 miles as it will improve. In reading the owners manual, I found this in writing. At 1100 miles, I drove to Los Angeles, a 3000 mile one way trip. I ws quite disappointed as the highest mileage I got was 23.7. On my return trip I put on an additional 3600 miles, making a total of about 7700 miles on the Escape and the mpg was still only 23.7 to 23.8 mpg. I do feel that this vehicle has ben miss represented to me. I still have the window display with the mpg sheet. If the mpg of this Escape is incorrect, I would like to have Ford correct it as the dealer has told me everything is working as it should. In the meantime, I have checked this mpg many times by topping off the tank and checking at the next tank full of fuel. In with the advertisement that Ford is putting out now, the Titanium Escape should be getting 24 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. I feel that this is fraud! Maybe the owners of this car should get a class action suite against the Ford Motor Company for correction.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,616
    My wife has the 2.0 with AWD and is averaging around 22 mpg.
    She got it mid way through October, so I don't have any mileage measurements to fall back on.
    I do have a couple of Explorers that I split my driving between.
    Since November, they have each taken a 10% mileage hit.
    I'm in CT.
  • escapeismescapeism Posts: 39
    edited January 2013
    They do that all the time. It's not Fords fault. This false advertising you are referring to has been around for years. They put the highest trim level on TV and tell you it gets great gas mieage but that mileage is only attained with a less powerful, lower trim level model. Those numbers are with the 1.6 engine, which isn't offered with the Titanium trim level.
  • Agreed, those are 1.6 FWD numbers.
    I really don't understand why AWD's are being pushed so much anyway. Here in Canada, any Titanium is 2.0 and AWD. Can't get one that is FWD. I wanted the 2.0 and most of the goodies but NOT the AWD, so I had to special order an SEL 2.0 FWD.
    I run snow tires in the winter and have never needed AWD. It uses 7% (or more) additional fuel, it makes the vehicle weigh 150 lbs more and it is not needed by likely 90-99% of buyers. Just my $0.02
  • usa1fanusa1fan Posts: 68
    What were your speeds during the Los Angeles trip? 70-80, most likely, when not creeping around in gridlocked or slow-n-go traffic, right? That seems to be the description most often used for people in the CA urban drive dominated car rags. If so, 23-24 is pretty good. 24 is the combined rating for the AWD 2.0l (don't know if yours is 2 or AWD), and I see 23-24 running at 70ish with less stop-n-go here in the east, with colder weather (not Canadian cold, h3ll3r :D) with my AWD.

So far, personal experience combined with everything I've read everywhere says these Ecoboosts get better than rated highway numbers by a bit, but equally offset by worse than rated city numbers, all in the real world. The overall effect is that, in a true 50-50 mix, the numbers often end up in the range of the EPA rating, too.

In any case, so long as Ford adhered to the EPAs specified testing regimen, and obtained the numbers on the sticker from that, it's not false advertising, even if your real world results vary. I too get annoyed by the ads showing a top-trim vehicle while also listing the more 'eco' model's fuel economy ratings. All of the manufacturers do this, because they know:
    1) We all want the nicest car we can buy (and the top trims are usually sexiest looking)
    2) We are all rank fuel economy higher on our list than in the past
    So, they show us the best of each in the ad, and leave it to us to find out that you can usually have one or the other, but not both.

If, on the other hand, Ford has fudged their actual test numbers (like Hyundai / Kia), I look forward to the yearly checks too! (even if my own experience says the Monroney is showing reasonable numbers, though not exactly *my* numbers).
  • I was brave this weekend and drove around till it got to 4 miles to empty. I was able to fill it up at exactly 13 gallons... so when it says 0 your running on your 2 gallon reserve.... I will stop filling up when the light comes on now, as the range bites already with low mpgs
  • jenrgjenrg Posts: 1
    Hi explorerx4,
    I am having the same issue with my 2013 leased Escape. I only drive highway miles to and from work 20 miles a day and only get 22 mpg after a month, it was 19 mpg the first couple of weeks, which makes me really angry that Ford has lied about the mpg. Everyone I know that has one is only getting 20-22 mpg. If someone decides to go after Ford, I'm in, because I leased this car for the great mileage it supposedly had and now I feel had.
  • dizneydizney Posts: 19
    FORD did not lie ??????
    Just yesterday I took another trip 80% highway RT 123 miles and got 35.9 MPG driving at 58 MPH !
    Plain and simple just like the TV ad. Drive faster use, more fuel! The choice is yours! 1.6L FWD
  • Just put in the most fuel ever. 53.2 liters (14.07 gallons.) I drove with the low fuel light on for a long time. The distance to empty was reading 4km (2.5 miles) I did however know how much more fuel was in the tank.
    On level ground, with engine shut off, hold down the OK button on the left side of steering wheel and press the start button. Continue to hold OK button for a few seconds and you will be in diagnostics mode. Then use the down arrow to scroll through the diagnostics. This will show fuel level in % (among lots of other variables) Mine showed 6% fuel which is about 1 gallon) This agreed with what I filled at the pump.
    When you are done scrolling through your diagnostics, just hit the start button again.
    These numbers are what the "computer" and sensors are actually seeing. The gas guage and the Distance To Empty display have the buffers added in.
    Hope this helps.
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Posts: 16
    Cool trick!! I assume the "start" button you refer to is for cars with the push-button start option? Any idea how to get in Diagnostics mode with regular key ignition models?
  • I would assume you would just turn the key to the "Run" position. That should be basically the same as pressing the start button. (when the start button is pressed (without pressing the brake at the same time) it brings on all of the dash lights, climate control, stereo etc, just like turning your key to the Run position)
    Let me know if it works.
  • usa1fanusa1fan Posts: 68
    Great information! Thank you. I'll have to try it when I fill up next time.
  • dan5678dan5678 Posts: 28
    Only have about 250mi on my '13 2.0-awd-SE. Have yet to do a manual calculation of mpg at a fillup yet, and figure I won't be hitting the mpg sweet spot until thousands of miles from now.

Just did a mostly interstate trip, top speed around 68mph (still taking it easy on the new car), with about 15mph headwind. The trip display showed 26mi, 30min (so... 52 Mph average?) and 25.2mpg .

The trip home, over a hillier,windier 2-lane state road, came up 43.6mph average speed and 28.2mpg. If these numbers are within 6% I'm fairly happy.

The dash display is not as happy in city driving(high teens), sure would have been nice if Ford had managed to lighten the vehicle up some more, oh well, it probably would feel flimsier if they had, so I'll take that tradeoff.
    I think you missed the point I was trying to make. All my vehicles are down about 10%. Since the Escape is getting 22, I expect it to go up to 24 when the weather warms up/gas formulation changes.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    Why are people so obsessed with distance to empty and running the tank as close to empty as they can? It's a good thing that there's fuel in the tank when the needle reads empty, you won't run out of gas and the fuel pump stays submerged.
  • Because some people like to know what they have to work with incase some emergency situation arises where someone does not have the ability to get gas, sometimes things happen beyond ones control, it might be an important thing to know???
  • when you plan a trip, its nice to know when you need to fill up. Unfortunately with this suv you dont get very far on a 13/ cough cough 15 gallon tank
  • It's not an obsession, simply a pain in the a$$! I traded in a vehicle with a 19 gallon tank that got 16 mpg. On average, I drive 350 miles a week -- so, in the past I had to stop twice a week to fill up. When I got the 2013 Escape, with the "promise" of 26 mpg combined (note, 80% of my driving is highway), I looked forward to a range of about 400 miles -- meaning I would only have to fill up once a week. In actuality, I get 21.5 mpg (combined) and seemingly have only a 13 gallon tank (according to the "miles to empty" readout), so my new range is about 240 miles (if I fill-up when the warning light goes on). I am stopping to fill-up more often now than I was before! I was really looking forward to having a vehicle that I could run for 400 miles without stopping for gas -- just a big disappointment that I'm still stopping multiple times per week. Really can't understand, especially on the 2.0, 4WD, why they didn't figure out a way to stick a 19 or 20 gallon tank on this thing. Heck, I'd even give up another mile or two in mpg, for a 400 mile range! The other point being, I don't appreciate having a readout telling me I have 40 miles to empty, to find that the tank will only take 11 gallons when I stop and fill-up, although I'm getting 21.5 mpg! If my math is correct, the readout ought to tell me that I have about 90 miles to empty! Is an accurate readout really too much to ask for!
  • One of the things I have discovered is that the DTE indication is based on some period of average fuel economy from the past, which may be why the readings seem inaccurate. (in addition to having a safety margin built in)

Here's an example.
    Lets say you drive the first 3/4 or 7/8 of your tank in heavy traffic, or poor winter conditions and are averaging 15MPG. Then you are freed up to some nice 60 mph highway cruising at 30mpg. Your DTE indication will still be using a big rolling average of fuel economy to let you know when you might run out. Since it cannot predict what kind of fuel economy you will see in the future, it will use the economy that you got in the past.
    So in this case, it may indicate 30 Miles to Empty, when it is really 60 miles at your new fuel consumption rate, plus a little reserve. (maybe another 20 miles, for a total of 80 actual miles to empty)

We certainly can't fault the Ford engineers for helping us to "never run out of fuel". They have accomplished that !
    I think we would all be quite upset if we were running out of fuel, because there was no safety margin designed in.
    Certainly the small fuel tank is the "bigger" issue here.
    I've traveled thousands of miles traversing the Country east to west and north to south. I drove the Lincoln Highway coast to coast and was never in a situation where I couldn't get fuel when my gauge was between 3/8 and 1/8 tank. I drove from Tooele, UT to Ely, NV through the Great Salt Desert and was smart enough to fill up before I set out. Unless you live in the wilderness of Alaska, there's never a situation where you can't get fuel if you plan ahead.
    You need to fill up when the gas gauge needle is on E. Whats 2 more gallons going to get you, maybe 70 miles, so what.
    I guess I don't find having to stop for gas as much of a chore as you do, I can go two weeks between fill ups.
    Since you know that the DTE readout is not accurate, go with what you know, drive another 60 miles and fill up.
    Lets see, you either have to fill up when the needle gets close to E, or with some simple math, based on the average mpg's and miles traveled, you can cipher how far you can travel.
    16 mpg x 19 gallons (to empty) = 304 miles. 21.5 mpg x 13 gallons = 280 miles. not sure how that work into extra fill ups over 350 miles, but some people are upset in that they feel like they should be able to drive more miles on a tank.
    My wife fill up with 11-12 gallons, as she doesn't like to go too far below a quarter tank.
  • Sure wish more would take a look at the Mazda CX 5. I bought one a month ago and get 28 MGP right out of the box in 50/50 city highway. Grand Touring AWD. Great handling and I bet more reliable than a Fix Or Repair Daily Ford.
    Got all the bells and whistles for $27,900. Has plenty of power here in Salt Lake, and if you want more the 2014 model will be at 185 HP. Test drive a
    CX 5 before you by the Escape.
  • I liked it, but no power.. why cant they through that sky diesel in there . i would have got it
  • It's old interior styling, not-for-me exterior (not dated outside), and underpowered engine just didn't do it for me. I'm sure it's fine for some, but I'll take the Fix Or Repair Daily over the Made At Zoo By Demented Apes, thanks.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,128
    edited February 2013
    Any new 2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage reports? :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am getting in my 1.6 FWD 21.5 city around 31 Hwy although haven't logged in many Hwy miles lately.
    I have 1150 miles on car and have an lifetime avg. of 23.5 with 25% hwy 75% city. No problems with anything :) .