Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,796
    edited February 2013
    You are describing exactly the philosophy that has dominated in Europe for the past 30 years. Smaller displacements and turbo charged = better economy if desired, or better power when you need it (or want it). But never both at the same time. It just takes a lot of power to move that much metal - and much more fuel to move it rapidly.

EDIT: They also make large use of diesel technology, but for some reason the US manufacturers don't seem to want to bring that here, even though it is now clean enough for the EPA.
  • Steve, You are correct. I have driven over in Germany, and the European cars / philosophy is very different than what we see here in North America. Smaller engines, squeezing a bit more out of them.
    A few years ago I rented a Ford Mondeo wagon with a 2.0 TDi-6sp-manual. It was a pleasure to drive, VERY fuel efficient and very respectable power. 228Kph (142Mph) on the autobahn was plenty quick!
    I look forward to having a diesel selection in North America in (hopefully) the not too distant future.
  • woodinvawoodinva Posts: 19
    edited February 2013
    After speaking with a cousin of mine who is a retired FORD executive; he tells me that the reason Ford doesn't bring diesels to SUV'S AND THE MID SIZE car market has to do with re-tooling and re-engineering mainly. If they built SUV's to handle the extra torque they would have to redesign brake systems to handle the load, front ends, transfer cases for 4WD and differentials. Plus they may have to offer higher capacity transmissions to get better fuel efficiency. Then once they increase the strength of these products to handle TDI they would have to have to INCREASE the prices of the vehicles. When they increase the prices of the vehicles; people tend to have a 10 year replacement philosophy and not a 6 year replacement philosophy. The car manufacturers enjoy the fact that most of you replace vehicles in 6 years time or shorter. Repeat business keeps them profitable. However future CAFE requirements will force them to bring diesels to this country but if they can extend it for a few more years it works to their 'profit plans' that are projected 5- 10 years in advance.

It is now known that JEEP will offer their GRAND Cherokee with a diesel engine option again; this engine is by the same company that made them when Daimler Benz was running Chrysler. Except that the company has sold its ownership from DAIMLER now to a 50 -50 partnership between GM- FIAT.
    What do you want to bet that GM will soon be offering a well proven variant of that engine in its products for the US in the near future.
    If FORD WERE SMARTER they would be offering a turbo diesel in the EXPLORER and larger class vehicles right now before they experience a loss in market share...they have the engines for them..in different markets right now.Australia , South America sell them right now.
  • dons8dons8 Posts: 3
    We went from a 2003 Highlander to a 2013 Escape and so far the MPG (nearly 2000 miles) have been a real comparative disappointment. Despite the 300 pound weight drop and the small displacement engine the highway cruising MPG seems to run around 24 MPG and the city MPG is down around 18. Starting and stopping quickly kick in the turbo unless you keep the RPMs down under 2500 (preferable under 2000) which quickly gets you a mad line of cars behind you. The heavier 6 cylinder Highlander claimed less and delivered more. We also got a new Focus and that car is also getting about 4-MPG less than claimed for City although I'm able to get and beat the highway MPG if I hold it at a steady cruise of 65. I'm left with little option, but to think Ford designed to the EPA tests rather than to the customer and that I should have bought a Highlander hybrid and an Altima (Focus trunk too narrow to carry two golf bags without taking out the woods).
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,723
    In Europe, the 2013 Escape is sold as the Kuga. It has 2 diesel engine options.
    http://www.ford.co.uk/Hidden/Configurator/configureKuga
    Click the Engine & Transmission tab.
  • Just did a bit of digging on the DTE indication. It is based on your Running Average Fuel Economy (or RAFE) which is your average fuel economy over the last 800Km or 500 miles.
    You can find out what your RAFE is, if you go into the diagnostics mode as described in an earlier post.
    I just checked my RAFE and it is at 8.4 L/100Km or 28 MPG. (mostly highway, but not all) 2.0 FWD
    So now, even with my fuel guage sitting at just over 1/8th of a tank, the DTE is showing 117Km or 73 miles.
  • automelon48automelon48 Posts: 102
    edited February 2013
    With all the discussion on this forum, and all the various results from different owners, I think we have all overlooked the Trip Timing function on the dash.
    It would be very interesting for everyone to report their Trip Time and their distance and their mileage for a tank of gas. This will give us average speed, which is pretty important when considering fuel economy.
    If one driver says their City fuel economy is poor, and has an average speed of 12Mph and another reports good City mileage and has an average speed of 25Mph, it would make sense!

For me, I have not reset my Trip 1 timer (as far as I recall) since taking delivery of the vehicle.
    I now have 149 hours showing. (yes, the hours roll over after 99, so my display actually shows 49 hours)
    I also have 6,551 Kms (4,068 miles) on the ODO. This calculates to a lifetime average speed of 44 Kph or 27Mph. The actual speed would be slightly higher than this, as having the ignition ON, but the engine not running, still keeps the clock going.

Anyone with good or bad mileage want to post some time vs distance vs mileage data for one tank? Or maybe the lifetime average if available?
  • Anyone with good or bad mileage want to post some time vs distance vs mileage data for one tank? Or maybe the lifetime average if available?

Life of 1.6 ltr FWD
    1286 miles 62 hours 23.3 avg.miles per gallon
    according to the cars screen information.
    I know there is a lot of idle time in there.
    with about 375 miles on hwy.

I will let you do the #'s
  • automelon48automelon48 Posts: 102
    edited February 2013
    1286 / 62 hours = 20.7 Mph average. And 23.3 MPG average. That does look like either a lot of idling or a lot of road congestion. Good information. Thanks !

My lifetime average is 27 Mph with lifetime average MPG of 24.3. 2.0 FWD
  • Lots of Idle. For sure.
    Remote start everyday sometimes let it run out.
    Cold outside avg temp about 35 lots of idle time with work, and warming up, talking to people with engine on.
    Small town so no congestion at all,
    ahh..... life in a small rural town.
    Interesting. If people have not noticed it is only the ones who have the AWD that get the bad gas mileage, that is why we got the FWD.
    I had a loaner with the last recall it was a 2.0 AWD and it got 18 town and 24 Hwy, I was keeping close watch.
    I also seems like mine FWD is getting just a little better since I crossed over the 1,000 mile mark.
    No problems love the car, and the mileage I am getting.
  • cbc410cbc410 Posts: 20
    edited February 2013
    I have around 3300 miles on my Titanium FWD. Since I got it, it only gets around 14 - 16 mpg in all city driving. Freeway is 26-32 depending if the road is flat or not. I drive very conservatively and always get the highest marks on their little Eco Driver read out. I have taken the car to the dealer to be checked out and they say I am getting that mpg because of the winter fuel (which is less efficient), because I live in the Bay Area hills, and because of city traffic conditions with lots of stop signs and lights. Even with all that, the mpg shouldn't be off by more than 30%. My 2001 Volvo wagon gets the same mpg and it isn't suppose to be as fuel efficient plus it is an old car. Also, city driving is suppose to full of lights. And even on flat roads, the mpg is bad unless I can coast through all green lights. It is so frustrating to me that Ford feels no shame that they misrepresented the mpg on this car. I never would have purchased the car. I told them my concerns on day 3 of owning the car and they just told me to wait until the break in period is over. Now I feel like I have spent a ton of money on something that will have a horrible resale value and has already lost $10,000 in value just from no longer being brand new.
  • I just leased a 2013 Escape a couple days ago and immediately drove it for 130 miles. The trip was about 115 miles highway/15 city and I averaged around 22 MPG. I then reset the MPG calculator for just highway cruising at about 70 MPH and only got about 24 MPG on a relatively flat freeway. Even when I dropped the speed to approximately 63 MPH, the car was registering only 26 MPG. This is not consistent with the 23/33 advertised mileage and curious if others have experienced the same results. Will the MPGs increase when the engine is 'worn in' more?
  • dizneydizney Posts: 19
    1.6L FWD
    On highway as you described with constant speed at max 60 I ALWAYS get 35 to 38 MPG :) :)
    " Why should I have to drive 50-60mph"

Answer : Look at your RPM's above 60 a lot more on the 16L !
  • 1) I got rid of it a couple of months ago, took a 2,500 hit, but worth it.
    2) If you drive 60mph on the highways in the DC area (when it's not totally clogged) you're taking your life in your own hands.
    3) It's being marketed as a "have your cake & eat it too" in regards to MPGs. So if you need to change your driving habits to get the high MPGs compared to your normal driving habits (got better MPGs in my 2010 Escape) then it's completely misleading advertising by Ford.

I'm not a Ford basher, I've had numerous Ford's in my lifetime, but this 2013 Escape IS NOT what it's being made out to be. I would've been better off with a V6 Edge.
  • We're on our first road trip with our 2013 Ford Escape 2.0L Titanium AWD. We left cold and snowy MI with a little over 3600 miles on the vehicle. Drove about 925 miles and arrived in Panama City Beach, FL. We averaged 27 MPG on the way down (that's city/hwy combined). We've driven the FL panhandle from Pensacola to Tallahassee and averaged 29 MPG (again city/hwy combined). We're very happy with the overall performance of our Escape.
  • I agree with you. We should all start a class action suit against Ford for false advertising in regard to the 2013 Ford Escape. I have the Titanium and it has been in the shop for 2 weeks as they try and figure out the problem with the gas mileage. They told me it is getting 24 mpg with them. I was getting 13-17 mpg. I just drove it out of the shop and unlike the dealer who stated they were getting 24 mpg on the dash I got 15 mpg! We all need to come together to get a solution from Ford that is acceptable.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    edited February 2013
    Good luck with that. Remember though, Individual Mileage May Vary.

As a foot note:
    Trip from Phoenix to Minneapolis, speeds at 70-75, overall average 25.6
    Best mpg's on relatively flat terrain, 5 mph tail wind, 75 mph 30.6
    Current MPG's, Hwy/City combined, temps in single digits 24.4
    Read a review of the RDX. On a road trip, the reviewer averaged a fill up every 242 miles.
    My wife put in about 10 gallons of SUG a couple of tanks ago and the mileage is up over 10%.
    She put super unleaded in because all the regular was sold out due to a pending snow storm.
  • With regular unleaded, in the city I average about 20 mpg. I expected better than that with 1.6L engine. It can be frustrating. I haven't been on too many road trips with car yet, but only noticed I was in the 26 mpg range for freeway driving.
  • We bought this car new three weeks ago and have since taken it on two pretty big road trips: Philadelphia to DC and Philadelphia to upstate NY. On both of those trips we traveled mostly on highway and averaged a whopping 15 mpg. At one point (on the highway) we managed to get it down to the low 14's. Brilliant. Then there was the added bonus of having to stop every 2 hours to fill it up with gas. Anyway, we have just taken our lovely little Eco friendly gas guzzler back to the dealership to try and get it sorted. Glad to know we are not alone.
  • pdawg1pdawg1 Posts: 22
    Our Escape Titanium after 1400 miles is getting less than 24 mpg highway. Driving it very carefully the best I could get was 22.3 a far cry from the 28 listed. I have notified my dealership of the results and they want to do an mpg test themselves. I think we are not alone with what is stated and what is actually happening on these vehicles. I also think Ford needs to either make the stated mpg's happen or give us options as in a fuel reimbursement or full trade in on a different vehicle!
    At 60mph. I always get 35 to 38 mpg with 1.6L FWD Moral of story drive fast higher RPM more gas !
  • and if you only go down hill you can get upto 40mpg while in neutral !
    With my 17mpg city you would think i was getting to 100 mph between lights....
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    edited February 2013
    No, but the key work there is between lights. If it's a typical city there's a light every two/three blocks or less. If you accelerating and braking hard that affects mpg's. Hurry up and stop! Slow steady acceleration anticipating the next stop, coasting and using the deceleration fuel cut off saves fuel. The car behind you can only go as fast as you and who cares if it pisses him off. The funny thing about the reports on bad mpg's, no one mentions how fast they're traveling.
  • dlk413dlk413 Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    I just tested it on the highway driving a steady 45MPH: 17.2 MPG. Ford dealership says there's not much they can do about it because on the sticker, below where it says 24 city/28 Hwy, it also says (in much smaller print) "small suvs may average between 16-21 MPG". Basically 24/28 is a gimmick. Look elsewhere if you want a car that actually gets good MPG.
  • The FWD models get really good gas mileage, the AWD not so good
    I am getting about 23 in town "not city" and about 28 HWY going 65-70 more if at 60. That is why we bought a FWD even though we live where it snows in the winter. GAS MILEAGE W/ FWD
    In the same time period, my wife's Escape went from 20.6 over a couple of tanks to 23.2 and my old Explorer went from 13.6 to 15.7.
    Not sure if the gas changed or the weather or something else.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,796
    "I just tested it on the highway driving a steady 45MPH: 17.2 MPG. Ford dealership says there's not much they can do about it because on the sticker, below where it says 24 city/28 Hwy, it also says (in much smaller print) "small suvs may average between 16-21 MPG". Basically 24/28 is a gimmick. Look elsewhere if you want a car that actually gets good MPG. "

Wow, that is low. What does it do at 60 MPH? Is that with a 2.0, or 1.6?