Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Impreza: Louder than I expected?

2»

Comments

• You are correct. The Impreza is a noisy car. That was my first impression too. It's road noise from minimal sound insulation. Later on, its tire noise too from the junky OEM tires car makers use that start to cup around 8k miles or so. I bought the car anyway. Another part of the noise is the engine whine when cold at around 40mph as it holds the lower gears so long.
  • Thanks - and good point on the tires. I'm trying to get a 2013 impreza now, but running into supply issues and delays. I'll just have to remember to put on better tires after a bit...
  • Hey everyone,

I was concerned about the noise in the 2013 Impreza but bought it anyway as well (I wanted a car that would last 10+ years)...now I'm wondering if any of these actions helped to reduce wind noise at highway speeds? It's most bothersome once I approach 70 mph. Tire noise is also an issue on rough pavement, but I've read on tirerack.com that the OEM tires are the issue and once people switch it gets a lot better.

zillion08, have you done any of those installations you described and did they help at all?

Thanks!
  • I completely forgot about this thread. Sorry guys!

I actually didn't go with the guy that I was talking to. I may buy some of the 3m stuff yet, but we will see.

Amazon was running a sale on Dynamat and I bought some of that. Its $50 now. :]

IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!! At least to me!

Now I actually bought the door kit I think. And I went off the website I posted saying "You only need to cover 25% of the door" and I covered my car doors and the hatch with some left over.

The biggest pain was figuring out how to get the door panels off. The dealer didn't want to tell me how because they were lazy so I bought the 3 day subscription to subaru to see how to take it off. First unscrew it (one screw in the door handle area and um... the little cubby hole near the window controls). When you open the door, you start on the panel closest to the car (its very narrow) Slip you fingers in and just pull. You'll here a loud bang. Some of them are hard to pull, so have a beer or two to help. :] Go around the whole panel until it is lose. The pull up.It pops right off. All the doors are basically the same. :]

I do plan on putting more Dynamat on beings I downloaded all the pdf's from the subaru site so I at least know how to. :] I think the next place I will install it will be the roof. :]

But in short, the Dynamat made a great improvement. Great $50 buy. :]

If you need any help, just post on here and Ill do my best. :]

Zillion08
  • Awesome, thanks for getting back so quickly...I'll look into tackling the door panels...

What Subaru subscription are you referring to? Are they PDFs of instructions for maintenance tasks? Do you have a link to it?
  • zillion08zillion08 Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    Here are the guides that I was talking about:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/

Its under "online reference."

These guides are like what the dealers use if they don't know how to dig into it and these are the ones that I downloaded.

The 3 day subscription costs $35. But don't buy the subscription, I can help you for free. :]

Also, here is a video on how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObWstR_Ef_M

You don't need to take off the window controls thou. :]

Zill
  • Ok So I found you talking about this. I have a 2013 2.0 l Impreza manual with 1000 miles. I figured id change the oil at 1k to remove metal etc . now that I am driving it its louder than it was before. It seems even with the loud sterwo I hear the clatter, chain, valves, Not sure what it is. Its so loud and on decel its real bad. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Ok So I found you talking about this. I have a 2013 2.0 l Impreza manual with 1000 miles. I figured id change the oil at 1k to remove metal etc . now that I am driving it its louder than it was before. It seems even with the loud sterwo I hear the clatter, chain, valves, Not sure what it is. Its so loud and on decel its real bad. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Are you sure you got the right viscosity? And re-checked the oil level, too?
2»