Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Fusion Hybrid

Comments

• Makes no sense. Isn't that the epitome of "city driving"? You would think you'd get better mpg in that stop and go environment. Thanks for the info...
  • Hi,
    Can someone tell me how the adaptive cruise control/collision avoidance works and if it is practical? I am considering a FFH because the Camry hybrid doesn't have this feature. I drive in stop and go traffic often and hate it when I'm too slow in noticing the car in front of me slowing down quickly and therefore have to hit the brakes hard.

I drive very conscientious but there are times when I just don't notice something right away. I figure having something help me drive would be a great tool. On the other hand, if it's not practical or useful in a real world situation then I obviously don't want it.

Has anyone experienced this feature and can you see yourself using it everyday, esp in traffic?
  • The car sits very low and you will find sometimes coming out of a parking lot, scraping in the front on bottom.
    The bottom of the front grill has a long cut out supported in the middle by 4 small posts. These on mine are cracking . Its a bad design. They should have been much bigger.

If there is any small impact to the front these will crack. They could also crack from built in stress from installation or manufacturing.
  • b25nutb25nut Templeton, CAPosts: 199
    edited December 2012
    I don't have the Adaptive Cruise Control on mine but my understanding of the option is that it works only when you have the Fusion set on Cruise Control, which should only be used at higher speeds on highways. CC & ACC could be used at slower speeds, but I don't think anyone would recommend doing so. It does not work at speeds below 12 mph. The owner's manual specifically states not to use CC in heavy traffic.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    SO far I have nearly 5,000 miles on my 2013 Fusion Hybrid and have yet seen it get above 40 MPG on a highway trip. Best I see is 38. If my math is correct, that is 9 below the rating. I don't drive 70, most of my driving is on Rural highways of 55. I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid that I get EPA in all the time, and have exceeded it quite often in the summer.

The other day I did a test drive. I took the 2013 up to a gas station 11.5 miles away, drove it very conservatively there, got 32 MPG, then drove it back, a little more aggressively, Like I do my 2010, and it was also a bit downhill, and got 34 MPG.

I then took the 2010 and drove it exactly the same way there, turning the HVAC on at the exact same time, and got .2 MPG lower than the 2013, then drove it back the way I normally drive and got 36 MPG.

For all the hype, this car does not live up to its potential, not at all, especially considering I have a prior generation Hybrid that I am very happy with and does live up to its potential. The 2013 Fusion has so much going for it, but this one glaring problem has me considering trading it for a Camry. How will that look to see a Used 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid sitting on a Toyota used car lot in 2012?

I built a 2013 Fusion Titanium with the options I like, and compared to this car I could have saved a couple grand for the MPG it gets. I wouldn't be complaining about MPG if I had done that. The the highway miles that it gets, I could have saved $10K and bought a Focus to get this.

I have driven Hybrids since 2007, starting with a Prius, which by the time I traded it, I was at 53 MPG lifetime. I had a 2009 Camry, and averaged 35 MPG lifetime, and my current 2010 FFH is currently at 38 MPG, lifetime is lower in it since my wife drives it too, and it had an issue when we first got it that required a reflash so the first couple months were pretty low, but improved quite a bit. It is getting right in the range claimed by EPA, and quite happy with it.

I have already taken it in, and Ford claims no problem, yet the math did not add up. They claim it was getting 36-38 at 70 MPH, and using Eco cruise got 44-46 MPG at 55 over a 108 mile test loop, when I filled the car, the actual MPG was 33. That is far below what they are claiming it gets. I am documenting every tank, marking down how many gallons the dash said is used vs what is actually being put in.

I understand there is cold and fuel to factor in, BUT when you consider I drive the same trip in my 2010, which is rated 39 combined, and at worse gets 37 in the cold, the MPG I am getting in the 2013 is at least 3-4 MPG below what it should be.

Could it be the tires? they are not Energy Savers like those that come standard on the 2013, but are 18" Goodyears. If they are reducing miles by 3-4 MPG,then that should be something noted by Ford in the brochures and website. I for one don't have an extra $1200 to find out.

Ford is unwilling to find out either, but in any case I am not happy with this car, and will NOT recommend it to anyone who asks. Stay away from the Hybrid for now. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • How are you Calculating the Mileage you are getting on your little 11.5 mile trip? I hope you are not using any mileage display from the car, as they are NOT accurate. MY question to you is: have you ever filled up the tank to the brim, then driven 200 miles and then filled up the tank again to see what kind of mileage you really got? That is the ONLY way to calculate MPG.
    edited December 2012
    I'll just leave this here.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/acdii/fusion-2

Also have all fills on fueleconomy.gov
  • Last month I placed an order at my Ford dealer for a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid. I am very excited about owning this car but frustrated at not knowing when the model will go into production. The only timeline Ford will give me is "early 2013". I suspect Ford is waiting to see how well the SE hybrid sells before they begin building Titanium hybrids. I would be interested in knowing if there are others out there who have a Titanium hybrid on order and if anyone has information on when they will go into production.
    1/7/13 is the start date for the TiHy. I just hope Ford can get their act together and get the ones already on the streets working correctly.
    The new Fusion Hybrids are not living up to the hype, even with the cold weather, they should still be in the low 40's, but looks like majority of them are in the mid 30's instead.

Hope this link works, Fusion comparison

Very disappointed in the new Fusion, 4500 miles on mine and now I have a solid CEL in addition to only 35 MPG. Have to take time off to bring it in for service, and I have only had it since 11-23. :lemon:
  • Thanks for the information, acdii. I am sorry to hear that you're having trouble with yours. You said you have a "CEL", what's that?
    Check Engine Light. The one that looks like an engine. I dropped it off this morning, it was on solid still, and when I pulled out onto a highway at half throttle, it stumbled again and the CEL was blinking for a bit then went solid again.
  • The 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid are been held due to repairs, and I have not received my yet. I ordered the ford fusion hybrid around the end of April. It is January now and still working on the 2013 fusion hybrid. Do not look forward to he beginning, but toward the midle of 2013. :cry: :cry:
    Got the car back after 3 days in the shop, total of 5 days now. All four plugs were carbon fouled. Test drive resulted in No Problem Found! Still only getting 36 MPG according to the dash. Ford told the tech, release the car and have customer drive it to see if problem returns. So then what? Replace the plugs again when they foul?

Seems to me that Ford can't put two and two together, the car does not get good MPG, and the plugs were carbon fouled at 4500 miles. I may not know how the Ford system works, but I do know that when you run too rich fuel setting, you foul the plugs, and waste gas.

Smells like :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • gened1gened1 Posts: 256
    acdii how has the car performed since the plug replacement?
    Not much change. Took a trip the following sunday to Waukesha, and got 36 MPG going no faster than 65 MPH. The next couple days I drove it going no faster than 2000 RPM, and using as much EV as possible, getting up to 55 very slowly and saw 41, did that 2 days and have not been able to get it to 40 since. Took another highway trip going no faster than 65 on ecocruise last Sunday got 36 with a tail wind, and only 31 on the return trip. It was a 50 mile trip.

On Monday I took my 2010 in the interstate, set the cruise at 65 and over a 20 mile trip got 36.5 MPG, .5 over EPA highway.

Drove the like I normally drive the 2010 and only got 34 MPG, I usually get 38 in the 10.

So did it fix it, NOPE. :lemon:
  • b25nutb25nut Templeton, CAPosts: 199
    With the cold weather we've been having in California for the past three weeks, my average MPG has been in the low 30s. However, it has warmed up to the mid 60 degrees for the past two days and my commutes (mostly 65-70 mph) have been between 39-42 mpg.
  • Purchased my 2013 Fusion hybrid yesterday (blk on blk w/ luxury, tech, nav, driver assist packages along with the sunroof). Took it on a 184 mile drive thru the SoCal hills into the desert. Mostly rural roads at about 45-60mph and some freeway. Filled it up after returning where it took 4.278 gallons. That's 43mpg. After reading the posts here that's much better than I thought it would do.

Other observations so far - car feels very tight and well built. Headlights are pretty lame in terms of brightness. Not sure that the lane departure system works at least in the "normal" setting. I purposely wandered over on a deserted stretch of road and nothing happened. Reset it to "high" intensity and it was way too sensitive. One time after backing out and shifting to Drive the rear view camera stayed on so I just stopped, shifted back to Park and then back to Drive again and it went away. Had a little problem with the touch controls for the sunroof. Either I wasn't hitting the exact spots on the overhead console or it was acting up. Also wish Ford had installed a motorized tilt/telescoping steering wheel adjustment. It's a hassle (and unsafe) to try and adjust it while driving. Probably more of an issue on long road trips where one position gets a bit tiring.

All in all though its a great car with tons of technology.

John
    Sounds like you got a good one! The lights are a bit low, might want to adjust them up a bit, I think they purposely point them down. They are OK for city driving, but out on dark roads they suck.

Lane keeping works fine, just remember to engage it on the turn signal stick when you want it, it only works when you turn them on. you also have to let the car drift by itself and it will autocorrect, but dont take your hands off or it will yell at you.

You can turn the BUC delay off in the settings, its got a delay to keep the camera on until you reach 5 MPH going forward.

Takes some getting used to the sunroof controls, I gave up the first couple times, couldnt quite figure out which one to touch to vent or open, stopped fiddling when I finally got it closed.

You didn't mention if you have the Adaptive cruise, but that is a hoot to have on the car, but has its quirks too, a car turning in a left or right lane on a 2 lane road will cause the car to slow down even though the car is in another lane. It also gives you an eye opening experience if spray gets into it on a rainy day, it feels like the car hit a wall when it disconnects.
  • socalfusionsocalfusion Posts: 10
    edited January 2013
    Yes, I have the adaptive cruise control which I used quite a bit today ( I also used the "Ecco Cruise" feature). I had it on my previous car and really like it. I agree that it can be a bit quirky with traffic turning in front of you or on a close curve with opposing traffic.

I'll have to work on the sunroof controls. Maybe a piece of colored tape would help find the proper spot when driving.

I think that I am just used to higher quality headlights than what Ford chose to install in the Fusion.

Thanks,

John