Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Fusion Hybrid

Comments

• acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Not the first time. They had held back something like 20,000 cars between October and December for quality issues. They shipped a bunch to other locations for further quality issues. Which would you rather have, a car delivered with defects, or one that Ford went over 100% before delivering?

Me I wish they had done more QC checking on mine, since it cant get anywhere near the EPA ratings, nor what my 2010 can get without a LOT of hypermiling. :lemon:
  • socalfusionsocalfusion Posts: 10
    edited March 2013
    Achieved a personal best today of 44.5 mpg (195.8 miles, 4.404 gallons). These were commuting miles with about 60% freeway. Total miles on the car is now 3,600. So far I've gotten 40+ mpg on five tanks. Worst was 36.6. This is certainly the best Ford I've ever owned, if not the best car overall.
  • husky6husky6 Posts: 1
    I am deciding between the 2013 Fusion Hybid Titanium and the 2013 Lexus 300 Hybrid. I drove them both for an hour+ each this week, and I personally like the suspension and style of car of the Fusion over the Lexus. However, I am very concerned about MPG, interior color, quality, and trade-in value.

Regarding MPG, my test driving was roughly 50% highway and 50% city. The Fusion trip mileage was 23 miles per gallon, whereas the Lexus was 35 miles per gallon. Both were brand new cars from the dealer. I am concerned from what I'm seeing in this Forum that the Fusion rated 47 MPG is incorrect, and may actually be worse than the Lexus, which is rated at 40/39 MPG.

Regarding interior color, the Fusion Hybrid Titanium is only available in charcoal (black). I assume this material would be very hot when parked outside during the summer. Can anyone in a warm climate confirm this?

Regarding quality, Lexus/Toyota is known for quality, and has the most experience producing Hybrids, whereas Ford is not. The interior of the Fusion appears to be generally made of cheaper materials than the Lexus, such as leather trim seats, but I guess that's what you expect from a less expensive car. I wonder if it will wear faster?

Trade-in value is directly related to quality. I would expect the Lexus to retain its value longer.

Having said all this, I prefer the design, suspension, and style of the Fusion over the Lexus. I would probably buy the Fusion over the Lexus if I was confident that the gas mileage would be 40+ MPG, and/or simply higher than the Lexus, with my driving style.

Comments??
    Where did you find a Fusion Hybrid Titanium? Are you 100% certain it was a Hybrid? Reason I ask is they just started producing them and no dealers that I can find have one on the lot that has not already been snapped up. If you only got 23 MPG I suspect it was not a Hybrid. A lot depends on driving temp and traffic on the Fusions, they are really sensitive to cold where the HSD is not. However when you can get the Fusion to work right, the MPG is outstanding. There are many owners starting to see mid to upper 40's now with warmer weather.

The quality of the Fords has been much better than Toyota with the Fusions if you compare to a Camry, to a Lexus though, you need to compare apples, the Lincoln MKZ is the closer comparison to the Lexus.

The new Fusion is a really nice car, but has some growing pains to over come with the new generation Hybrid drive, the Lexus is still old school HSD so it will be dependable and will return its EPA numbers more than the Fords will, for now. Ford eventually will get its collective head out of their asses and get the software working right so the cars do return their rated MPG.

If you can afford a Lexus, I would suggest checking out the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, they are some really nice looking cars and share the Fusions chassis, so they should drive the same.
  • lucien4lucien4 Posts: 55
    edited March 2013
    I'd suggest take another test drive with Fusion and check mpg including instant mpg. That's what I did (I definitely got lot more than 40+ mpg).
    Note though for short trips you can't really compare well unless you know battery charge level was same.

Looking at fuelly.com there isn't huge difference between Fusion hybrid and ES300h averages and CR found these numbers:

ES300h: 28/44/36 mpg
    Fusion hybrid: 35/41/39 mpg

So the Lexus will do better than Fusion on highway and worse in city (no surprise since it's larger and heavier I believe). But still ymmv of course.

Even if Lexus was slightly more fuel efficient the price difference is huge. Lexus ES 300h typically starts around $45K and that's not fully loaded.
    And depreciation might be less in % but still more in absolute numbers.

I haven't seen any Titanium hybrid models either yet. I skipped the Titanium since it wasn't available in dune interior and I'm fine with the 17" wheels which should give little bit better mpg.
  • b25nutb25nut Templeton, CAPosts: 193
    I agree with everything Lucien4 has said. I passed a brand new ES300 on my way home last night and, although I know I'm prejudice, it is a very bland vehicle. You would give up the push button start and Sony stero by not selecting the Titanium trim, but the SE will give you the Dune interior (which I wouldn't live without) and much better looking Luxury wheels. So far, the reliability of the FFH has been excellent. You won't regret choosing the Ford. The money you save is an extra bonus.
  • b25nutb25nut Templeton, CAPosts: 193
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130322/CARREVIEWS/130329976

This review of the 300H from Autoweek might help. There is no doubt it is an excellent car, but it's 45K and they report MPG closer to 30.
  • moose95moose95 Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I second the comments from acdii - I am pretty sure you were not driving a Titanium Hybrid. I have yet to find any on a dealer lot, and I just finished several weeks of research, finally purchasing a Hybrid SE one week ago. Dealers have ordered them, but actual sightings are extremely rare. Not one of the 6 dealers I checked with could tell me when one would come in. Did the car you drove have the "EV" gauge on the left and the "leaves" on the right side of the speedometer? 23 MPG in the hybrid would indicate a fundamental problem with the car, or you were flooring the pedal at every opportunity. So far in the first 500 miles of commuting in the last 8 days, I have averaged over 42 MPG, and temps have been in the upper 20's to low 30's on my morning commute, and 40's - low 50's on the way home. I expect this to get better as the car breaks in and temps rise - the one 35 mile trip I took with temps near 60 averaged 49.2 MPG. I am thrilled with the car so far - the quality on mine is excellent, and with the 505a luxury package, My Ford Touch, sunroof, and a few other options I have everything I would want in the Titanium, but with the "dune" interior instead of black.
  • I am very happy with my 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE. This is not my first hybrid and I think the reason this car is getting mixed comments about MPG is that it is SOOOO sensitive to how you drive it. Trying to get the MPG up by driving it more and more gently will not work. Around the city, if I am in a position where I can accelerate from a stop mostly with EV I get upper 40's. This doesn't happen often because there has to be nobody behind me. If I accelerate fairly rapidly to speed then back off and let the EV take over I get about 40MPG. This is typical. If I accelerate to speed slowly on the gas engine so the gas engine is almost always on I get low 30's. This is a big difference. I suspect that people who are not getting very good gas mileage is because they are trying to accelerate slowly keeping the gas engine on. As an example, to get out of my sub division I have to drive 1 mi with 5 turns. If I try to accelerate slowly the gas engine will never go off because I am not up to speed before the next turn. Look at your instaneous MPG while accelerating. MPG will be very bad. If I get up to 30MPH in the length of 2 or 3 houses then let the EV take over I am on EV most of the time and MPG is very good. There are 2 schools of thought on this. My wife drives it without paying attention to anything. This is OK it is what she wants and is happy. I view the advantages of slightly altering my driving for more MPG as using an available "tool" that is not available in non-hybrids.
    See this excellent review from Car & Driver Csaba Csere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SikJ3lC-lY

At 20:55 notice this graph which matches C&R 60 mph mpg:

40 mph: 56.9 mpg
    50 mph: 41.2 mpg? 49?
    60 mph: 41.2 mpg
    70 mph: 36.3 mpg
    80 mph: 30.1 mpg

I assume the number at 50 mph is a typo and should be 49 mpg but otherwise matches what I got with my test drive.

Fusion hybrid is further away from EPA at highway speeds than other hybrids and one comment I've seen is that at highway speeds the Fusion keeps going in and out of EV charge mode. That hurts highway mpg. So that's something Ford might be able to fix with software update.

Still as in the video mentioned it's still good mpg just not EPA ratings.
    I have Fusion SE hybrid on order and hope to get it in 1-2 months. Still could opt not to buy it but so far seems best for my needs.
    This is what I found too. I would say I do 85-90% highway driving, and found it does very poorly at 55 when it kicks in and out of EV. If I keep the pack at or above 75% charge, I can keep the instant at or above 40 like I do in my 2010, but when SOC drops below 60%, the instant plunges to low 20's. When I took an Interstate trip I was trying to do a lot of EV driving at or below 62 MPH and the MPG was no where near 40 let alone 47. What was really disappointing is the fact the 2010 FFH gets better MPG than the new Fusion does when driven the same way. The new one cannot be driven the same way with it kicking into EV all the time. The recharge from ICE sucks up more gas than if I just stay on ICE.
  • How was your mileage on the trip to the Sierra?

Stan
  • Between 36-39.
  • patcicpatcic Posts: 3
    I just got my FFH and have 300 miles on it. It's a base model built in early to mid January. I am coming out of a 2012 MKS, I am in sales and I drive about 25,000 miles per year. What a difference in ride! Very quiet, more comfortable seats and it handles road imperfections with ease, very muted. The MKS was harsh, noisy, hard seats - not refined at all but this FFH is amazing! I am getting 41 to 42 mpg in 50/50 mixed driving - very impressive and very satisfied! I agree - it's relaxing to drive.
  • sergeissergeis Posts: 133
    edited April 2013
    Got new Fusion Hybrid 2013 five days ago.
    For the first 200 miles my average lifetime mpg was slowly rising from 31 to 34 just city drive. Hoped for more...
    So I tested it on a trip, odometer is showing 200 miles.
    1. Indiana Interstate at 75 mph, not so many cars around, 60 miles: 34 mpg (trip mode)
    2. Nice empty highway at 60 mph cruise control, 40 miles: 42 mpg (4 miles in EV mode)
    3. Small city drive, with stops, lights, 25-45 mph):
    Distance: 43.9 mi (30.4 ev)
    Average: 47.1 mpg
    I guess one could get more than 50 mpg in city (I had 52 mpg for the first 15 miles), but you must learn how to get most mpgs out of it.

I have driven Prius 2006 in past, and I guess in city these two cars will be on par in terms of mpg, but Fusion is more fun to drive. On Interstate Prius would probably give me ~44 mpg in these conditions, i.e. much better than Fusion.
    It also looks like in city Fusion should be driven more aggressively for better MPG - you accelerate normally with engine on and then it switches engine off and cruises on electric only (engine is on only 25% of time). Fusion has more powerful electric motor and being purely electric is easy while cruising at city speeds, with Prius one had to let it slow down from 40 mph to keep elecric, Actually you do not have to think about EV with Fusion - just drive it normally and will be still in electric most of the time.
    With Prius I had to "coast" to keep EV only mode, slowly slowing down after accelerating ("pulsing"), Fusion, in contrast, can accelerate reasonably in EV mode without engine turning on.

Anyway, I did not expect to get the stated 47 mpg, but it will deliver 47 in city with ease. On the Interstate - I will wait to see if engine breaks in and numbers become better. In either case I like the car very much, most my driving is in the city anyway...

BTW: I drive Boxster myself, kind of a midlife crisis, Fusion is my wife's car - but I like it already as much as Boxster (for different reasons - I like hitech and paying engineers instead of oil companies).
    The line assist and adaptive cruise - these are super cool. Line assist actually managed to keep me on a road with my hand off the steering wheel, but after a while it beeped and wrote "keep you hands on steering wheel". The adaptive cruise control actually braked hard all by itself when a car in front braked hard. Very cool stuff. It might save my life some day when I am sleepy... Or my wife's life, even more important...
    Hi Sergeis, the mpg numbers sounds about right and most people get. Unfortunately 47 mpg highway is about impossible unless you drive about 55 mpg or you use hypermiling techniques (see my previous reply with table for mpg per mph from C&D).

I also really love the ride of Fusion. I'm fine with not getting 47 mpg highway. Overall mpg is still pretty good especially city.
    Something I found on the highway, get the battery charge up to 80% or more then above 65 MPH using the instant MPG screen with some practice you just might be able to get 47 at interstate speeds. As long as the ICE doesn't need to charge the battery pack, it does OK at speeds above 65.
  • I just purchased my Ford Fusion Hybrid and despite the reports from Consumer Reports I am averaging 45 MPG combined City and Highway. I will admit though that I enabled the Eco-cruise and EV + features which I believe are disabled by default and I also drive between 55-60 on the highway to keep the EV mode enabled. On a number of trips I have hit 51 MPG. I am still on my first take of Gas and I am approaching 500 miles, the way you drive definitely dictates the MPG that you will get.
  • rick7250rick7250 Posts: 1
    I am an investigator looking into Ford's false claims or the 47 mpg on the 2013 Fusion Hybrid and the C-Max Hybrid. I am formulating potential clients in the San Francisco bay area for a class action lawsuit.

If you live in the bay area, have purchased one of the above mentioned vehicles and are not getting the gas mileage Ford has advertised please contact me. My email address is spyglass7250@hotmail.com.
    If you dont get at least 47 in the car, either there is something wrong with the car, like the one I had, its cold out, or you arent driving it right. Those in warmer weather and driving it right are getting and exceeding EPA.

Good luck with that, from what I have experienced with Ford, its not going to go very well.