Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 512
    A felt or foam liner would have been nice. Mine seem to fit well enough they don't make any noise. But I have been known to obsess over other very minor sounds... Changing out a noisy aspirator (temp sensor fan) in the headliner of our Yukon a couple years ago was so very satisfying. Nobody else noticed it, but it was ALL I could hear for weeks. Wife was surprised to see so many trim and headliner pieces laying on the ground, but I got it done and put back together. And could then direct my attention to what turned out to be a rattling exhaust heat shield. $30 to the muffler shop guy with the welder, best money ever spent.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,034
    I hadn't even thought of tire rotation. I have 6500 miles on mind and the oil life gauge is also at 40%, so I'm sure it will be nearly 10k before an oil change. I guess my inclination is to do them both at the same time. Eventually I'll buy tires locally and they provide free rotation so I'll do it separately from the oil maintenance.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,199
    Rotate your tires every 7000 miles for best results.. I do mine every 5 to 6k . Your out of your mind waiting 10 k on regular oil change in your Accord. You should be changing it now. Oil changes are so inexpensive why take a chance. You do not have synthetic oil in your Accord from the factory. Dont gauge your oil life from a computer it never does know when oil is breaking down.

just my 2 cents thou..

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

Honda does things differently now. They have computer readings that measure the viscosity and such of the oil to determine when an oil change will be, and it will differ depending on types of driving. Mine will probably be longer this time because it was spring and summer and not so much cold starts and snowy roads as in winter. The service people tell you to wait until the wrench icon shows up on the dash to schedule maintenance. They do not recommend doing it on your own schedule just because you have always done it that way. Most cars have much longer waits now between oil changes anyway. My Nissan was 7500 miles. Honda has built a reputation for long lasting engines so I'm following their recommendations.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,672
    well, you are supposed to go in when it hits 15%. so based on my experience, you will probably be right about 7,500 miles. Which just happens to be right around where our (former) odyssey, and current RDX, seem to come do. Also about the longest I would be willing to go!

I am fine with rotating the tires on that schedule too. I doubt doing it at 5k is going to make much difference. But, if it bothers you, just use a tire shop to have it done when you want, instead of having the dealer do it.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,534
    >Honda ... have computer readings that measure the viscosity and such of the oil to determine when an oil change will be

Do you have any links for information about how that is done by Honda?
    Yes, I had one back on this thread a ways. I'll try and find it again.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    The maintenance minder does not measure the viscosity. As per the link to Honda it measures what the engine does but does not actually take any readings on the oil. It is still quite accurate.

I just changed my oil at 15% and 9,600 miles. It would have been 11k to 0%, but I wanted to do the change before it got too nasty (snowed last night). I also was anxious to get in full synthetic.

Even after nearly 10k miles the oil still looked quite good.
    I read the link and agree with previous poster that it doesn't measure viscosity. I was curious if it did anything beyond what most car have as their oil life intergrators; BMW has a setup that measures something else. I forget what exactly, but I believe it measures contamination along with the operating parameters.
    edited October 2013
    >I also was anxious to get in full synthetic.

The bottom of the post by sudyam says that Honda does not recommend synthetic. :grin

"Q: I use synthetic oil. Should I expect to get more miles before the Honda Maintenance Minder indicates that I need an oil change?

"A: Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oils as your Honda was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner's manual. The Honda Maintenance Minder calculates your vehicle's needs based on the oil recommended by the Honda engineers that designed your engine. The use of synthetic oil will not extend the oil change interval."
  • I had the same problem- I'm a bit upset. Pressed the LCD screen and it felt hot- next thing - screen cracked... Took to Honda said it was damaged externally - like i intentionally shattered it... WTF. Any luck with honda??? Or any resolution to getting a new part? Parts and labor have been quoted over a grand.
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 512
    I was thinking the same thing. Next tires will be on me, and will have free rotations at NTB or Discount. Will definitely have it done at my own schedule then. Just want to prolong the first set as long as possible.
  • capegirl5capegirl5 Posts: 35
    edited October 2013
    So, I have been driving a 2004 Maxima 3.5SL with 227,000 miles and a host of issues. For the last 2 years ( 50K miles), I have been using non-ethanol gas for gas mileage but also because the car runs so much better with it vs reg unleaded. Has anyone used both in their new Accord? and is there any difference in gas mileage, how it runs, etc. ? Is one better than the other? Is there any harm in using non-ethanol gas in a new V6?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    I don't use synthetic to extend the intervals. I use it for the better engine protection, better fuel economy and easier cold starting.
  • I am a dealer in Maryland. I know this issue with the shuttering. I have found that if the vehicle is in ECON mode while driving at that incredible low speed, the vehicle will shutter. But removing it from the ECON mode would stiffen the acceleration. IF you have experienced it with the ECON mode inactive, please let me know. I would love the feedback.
  • I am a dealer in Maryland. I know this issue with the shuttering. I have found that if the vehicle is in ECON mode while driving at that incredible low speed, the vehicle will shutter. But removing it from the ECON mode would stiffen the acceleration. IF you have experienced it with the ECON mode inactive, please let me know. I would love the feedback.
  • dtom7dtom7 Posts: 3
    Hi David,

I'm facing a number of issues with my 2013 Honda Accord LX. The most annoying issue is a creaking sound from the front while moving slowly and breaking in between. I took the car to the nearby dealer one month back and they were able to replicate the problem and they said that the Honda district service manager needs to drive this car to suggest a fix to the problem. I've been waiting for more than a month for the district service manager to visit the dealership and I'm worried about it. Can you help me if I bring my car to your dealership?
  • I bought my car one year ago this month. It has always had this jerky acceleration from a slow start whether or not the eco button is on. The dealer drove the car and could not detect what I complained about. Now I see there is a TSB-053 designed to fix the problem. Has anyone out there had the TSB-053 treatment done at a dealer and if so did it fix the problem?? Really would like an answer so I do not waste a half day for a fix that does not help. I love my car but the acceleration issue is very annoying. Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
  • I had the TSB-053 run on my EX-L sedan two weeks ago and it did help this problem, although I had no complaint when the car was new. I bought it in March of this year and have 12,000 miles on it. It now drives as it did when new, except that it has also developed a coarseness in the drive train that actually began before this service. It's like a high-frequency vibration on acceleration that stops when you back off the gas. You feel it in the gas pedal and steering wheel. I suspect this issue also comes from the CVT. It seems to be getting worse as the weather gets colder. I was told by the dealer that the transmission adjusts itself to my driving habits via the computer and that I need to adjust my driving habits to keep the car from misbehaving. I am not at all rough with the car, and I think this is totally unacceptable. I contacted Honda of America and was told about TSB-053. They had no other solutions.
  • I don't see a link to reference where this Q and A came from, but let me say that it makes no sense that Honda would not recommend synthetic for 2 reasons.

1) Because Honda uses synthetic itself for 2013 Accord Oil changes. Note that many dealerships charge more for oil changes for 2013 Accords vs older models because they use the 0W-20 synthetic.

2) Non synthetic oil at the 0W-20 weight currently does not exist, and is not manufactured by any motor oil company!
  • Hello

I to recently bought a 2013 accord v6, love the outside and inside but have a real issue with the transmission. It's not smooth at all. I notice the shuttering mostly when i'm accelerating to 55, around 46 it start shuttering until I reach speed of 51. The dealership said they do feel and hear the problem but it's within spec. I've noticed this happening this week on lower speeds as well with the ECON on or off, doesn't make a difference. I want this fixed.
  • On my 13 Accord w/Navi the Traffic incidents says no information to display. After a few seconds it goes to the mpg screen. Anyone had this issue?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2013-14 Honda Accord, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have a '99 Accord and am a somewhat anal retentive engineer. About a year ago I did an experiment to determine how my vehicle did on gasoline vs gasohol (10% ethanol blend). It was eye opening. In short, the gasoline gave me 6.4% better mileage. I'd expected 4% because ethanol only provides 60% as much energy per gallon burned as does gasoline. Assuming the engine was equally efficient at burning both, the mileage on gasohol should have been 4% worse. I attribute the 6.4 percent figure to my engine not burning gasohol as efficiently.
    Short of the story, I use pure gasoline unless the price difference is at least greater than 7% (since the test that has only happened once).
    Hope that helped.
    Note 1: My test method involved filling and running the tank to near empty, logging mileage then changing gas formulations (gas, ohol, gas, ohol, ...). I did that for 16 tanks. For intervals where my driving style or outside temperature range was significantly different than that of the comparison tank I re-filled and didn't log the aberrant driving interval. Because my driving style and environment are relatively stable and because the per tank mileages for each fuel were pretty tightly clustered, I suspect an error of 2% max in my final figure.
    Last month there was a big price difference so I ran a validation check and filled with gasohol. The drop for that tank from the previous tank was ... 6.2%.
    Note 2: Newer vehicles may be better at burning gasohol efficiently than does my '99 Accord; I've no way of knowing. I doubt that they do better than the expected 4% worse.
  • @number_6
    Thanks for sharing your test project. Not only is Americans being hoodwinked on the corn subsidy sham but small engine repair expenses are taking a toll on the middle class too! We suck to allow this to continue.
    How are you getting gasoline without ethanol? In this area it seems to be in all fuels at a rate up to 10% without labeling on the pump that it's even in the fuel.
  • Some states don't allow pure gasoline to be sold. Mine does.

If you look into how ethanol blending got and remains mandated by law you'll see one of the best examples of purchased politics I know of. We're turning diesel and gasoline into food, then into ethanol, then blending that ethanol into gasoline. The process HAS to be mandated because it makes no economic sense. The mandates cost the U.S. billions because of the inefficiency of the process but the real tragedy is it's driving the world price of corn and other grains up to benefit a well financed corn lobby. We've, in effect, mandated impoverishing and starving hundreds of millions in third world countries to serve a special interest group.

IMHO, the process is absolutely criminal. You might then ask why I would EVER buy ethanol diluted gasoline? A: Because refusing to use it would make no difference. Congress has mandated a certain percentage of corn be converted into ethanol and byproducts. By not using ethanol, I don't decrease the crime, I simply move it to someone else's tank.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    You are so right - my wife and I were just discussing today that if we had honest and competent national leadership and the proper energy policies, gas would probably cost half what it does and our economy would be thriving. Of course, it's not the only thing - there are many other policies that fall victim to the type of politics you have described.

Thanks for the insight on the use of ethanol.

Bill G
  • I have a 2013 Accord EX-L with Navi. The traffic information has stopped working. This is when you go into information & select traffic incidents. Others in my area, zip 72205, are reporting the same issues. Dealer checked out another new 13 Accord, did the same thing. I contacted Honda tech spt. they tried to say I wasn't suppose to have it in my area or for some reason someone has stopped sending the signal. They didn't know why.