Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• marcus216marcus216 Posts: 77
    I got the HondaLink software update about 12 days ago and have not experienced the audio issue since the update. Hopefully that solved the problem.
  • smbyrnesmbyrne Posts: 1
    I just completed my purchase of an Accord Sport and drove it off the lot this evening. At about 45 miles, I had the system maintenance light come on already! I've tried resetting - followed exactly what the manual said - and even reset the vehicle systems to default. The light is still on. Anyone else have this issue or thoughts on it?
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I had a similar experience (weird jerking acceleration when I test drove the Accord. I also test drove the Nissan Altima (also with a CVT) and was more impressed, even though I have read of similar problems with nissan's CVT. I ended up buying the Altima and have not been disappointed.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Never had it or heard of it even on Accord boards. Take it to the dealer - maybe just a glitch in the prep process as they may have to initialize the computer or something like that.

It is under warrantee so you are covered.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    edited May 2013
    The warranty isn't helping the 2013 Accord and 2013 Altima CVT issues because the manufacturers are not sure what is causing the problems (proposed "fixes" have had mixed results) or else are saying the jerkiness or lugging vibrations/noises are normal and there is nothing to fix.
    If you don't like the way it drives, you may be stuck with the issue warranty or not.
    These are the types of issues you have to deal with when you buy the first year model of a new design. The previous generation Altima did not have any of these CVT issues and the previous generation Accord did not have a CVT at all.
  • ziggy25aziggy25a Posts: 24
    I just want to chime in that after 1200 miles I have notice NO jerking or stutter in my I4 LX CVT transmission. I was very aware of the posts I read about this issue. I made sure to look for this problem on the test drive as well and had no issue with that vehicle either.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 887
    I have an EX-L I4 CVT and have had no problems at all. Drives like a dream.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,051
    edited May 2013
    Called the Honda Corp last month to inquiry about / stereo/ speakers/size info. Seems nobody new the answers there. After a 5 day wait and a call back here is what Honda told me about the 360 watt system.

1- It is a Alpine stereo

2- Speakers are Foster's

3= Speaker sizes are round.............. 6.6'9 in ft doors and rear deck

4- Subwoofer is 7'

Just to add to the oil change issue.

Oil changes are inexpensive why take a chance going more than 5k on your investment. I have about 500 miles on my exl V-6. When i hit 4k i will change the oil. To all the people who like to keep your cars 8 yrs or more I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Please post in forum if you changed your car speakers. Seems like the best rated speakers are all 6.9 inch which does not fit in this Accord.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    Seems like the best rated speakers are all 6.9 inch which does not fit in this Accord.

I thought Honda said it had 6.9" speakers? 6 of them..1 in each door, and two in rear deck?
    Are you saying that the diameter may be the same but there isn't enough speaker depth room, as installed in the Accord?
    Honda speakers/ fosters are 6.6/.9 inch... almost 6.7 inch.. 2' tweeters are on top of doors.
    i have not inquired w any local stereo shops yet but i am figuring the 6.9 inch speakers are to big for the Accord casings.

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,062
    I bought the Optima EX with the Hyundai built 6 speed automatic. I like the Accord, but my father told me to never buy a car during it's first model year. I have 18,000 miles on it and zero problems. None.

Everyone told me not to buy a CVT. Everyone.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Changing oil by maintenance minder is being safe. No need to waste money and resources. Not the 60's anymore. Oil and engines are much improved.

162,000 miles on 2007 Accord with 8-9k changes. Engine runs like a dream ready for another couple hundred thou.
  • Just wondering if any of you have this same issues with the new 2013 Honda Accord CVT - EX Model. I leased my car back in February of this year.

- rattling noise coming from either the front passenger window/door or the console which comes and goes
    - tire squealing noise when backing up
    - the burnt smell after parking your car
    - the car seems to jerk when you slow down and take off your car from the gas pedal. it's worst when you're sitting in traffic
    - steering wheel sort of turns by itself when I'm driving, thought my tires are running flat but my tire pressure icon on the dash is not ON.

Are these issues covered by Honda's maintenance package? Please let me know. It sucks to have all these issues especially when the car is brand new.
    I have the V-6 EXL bought Feb,28th. I have none of your mentioned problems.
    I do feel a slight jerk every know and then when trans is shifting but thats the CVT shifting.

That burnt smell is from driving and braking hard, that smell will wear off as the brakes and rotor wears. Unless you always drive fast and brake hard that smell is normal.

Check to make sure you have the right air pressure in your tires its on the drivers door.

Call the closest Honda dealer and have them check out your concerns if these problems dont go away.

• wayne21wayne21 Posts: 198
    Your V-6 EXL you bought on Feb, 28th does not have a CVT. It has a 6 speed auto. The slight jerk every now and then is the VCM - variable cylinder management, but it's seamless so you don't really feel it.
    Correct.............. Thanks for pointing that out.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 887
    I don't have any of these issues with my EX-L CVT. I would check with your service department.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,062
    Well, the squealing noise while backing up is most likely just cold disk brakes. Especially after it rains.

The steel discs get a thin coating of oxidation and moisture after the car sits overnight, so when you back out of you driveway in the AM, the brakes can squeal and get grabby.

The rattling is a loose wire, such as a speaker wire in the door. (Car and driver had the same problem).

Car steering itself is probably a poltergeist/demon and you should get an Exorcism at once. (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Seriously though it is most likely torque steer if it happens while briskly accelerating....other than that check tire pressure(s).

If you think the transmission is really not operating properly by all means take it back to the dealer and get it checked out.
  • fair2usfair2us Posts: 26
    rsin101, you are absolutely right. But I am convinced from my experience at my local dealer and with American Honda Customer Service, that they have been instructed to elude any responsibility and follow-up. From what I have read, Honda doesn’t even pretend to understand what is going on with some of their models. If they had an answer for what’s happening with our vehicles, I’d like to think Honda would fix it. But I have yet to read about anyone finding a permanent solution to this inconsistent “shudder” or “jerking” issue. I am always happy to read about Accord owners who don’t have this issue, but I sure would like to hear from someone who has been faced with this problem and American Honda has taken care of them.
  • evped2evped2 Posts: 21
    edited June 2013
    Anyone have an issue with the factory mats? After three months, mine wore a hole where my foot rest below the clutch (6 speed manual). Honda replaced it, but I'm sure this one will wear through too. Seems like the quality is not as good. Any recommendations for after market carpet mats. I don't like the rubber ones.