Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• We have a Pilot 11 with VCM. It is noticeable. But not unbearable.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 883
    Got mine in March and it too is smooth and wonderful.
  • I have a 4 cylinder , CVT
  • pilmpilm Posts: 5
    There is a CVT TSB 13-053. You can ask your Honda dealer if your VIN number is affected, and if so, have them check it out.
  • I found out the bad way that the LCD radio touchscreen thing on the accord touring is rather flimsy. When too much pressure is applied it creates this not so nice spider web of cracks across the surface which has killed off the touch screen functionality.

Does anyone know how much it costs to get the screen replaced?

The voice commands still work -that is as badly as they ever did- as do the controls on the steering wheel but thinking I might miss the keyboard if I'm forced to have to use the maddening navigation system in this car again!

Thanks.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,022
    I would think your covered with the warranty. Sounds like to me the screen was defective not that you applied to much pressure. Make sure you tell honda you touched the screen and it cracked.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• I had sunglasses in the small compartment above the head. It was rattling for a few months. Drove me nuts at low speeds; had no idea. I thought it was manufacturing issues in the front somewhere inside...

Keep that sunglass compartment empty!
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Very funny ! It applies too all year models (both on my previous 2001 Accord and on my present 2012 Accord it happened).

Initially I kept arguing with my wife about that rattle for ... months. She said it was coming from the left side, I was saying it was coming from the right side. After a while we realized it was from the sunglasses box, above our heads, so from between us. That's why the rattle was coming from her left side, and also from my right side !

Actually it matters how you put the eyeglasses in that box. In one position it rattles, in the other position it doesn't !
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,587
    I had that sunglass rattle too. I was just happy to fix it!

another solution is to get one of the soft case/sleeves for the glasses. Put them in that before sticking in the holder. No more rattle worries.

actually, some years back I had a pair of prescription suns in my Accord in that holder. They actually melted enough to warp slightly, so one lens never stayed in right after that.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 429
    Hi all. I am at 5600 mi. on my new Accord and the oil life monitor says I have 40% left. (Which I take to mean somewhere between and 31 and 40 per the manual.) While I don't question the oil life going up to maybe 8-9K, it seems like a long time to wait for a tire rotation. I bought (didn't intend to, but dealer F&I guy threw in to sweeten the warranty deal) a 36,000 mile maintenance plan. I assume that means only what the car's computer says it needs/wants at a given mileage. Question is, how many "free" services can I expect through the first 36K, and do you all also wait for the car to recommend a tire rotation? I've always had that done every 5K.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 429
    A felt or foam liner would have been nice. Mine seem to fit well enough they don't make any noise. But I have been known to obsess over other very minor sounds... Changing out a noisy aspirator (temp sensor fan) in the headliner of our Yukon a couple years ago was so very satisfying. Nobody else noticed it, but it was ALL I could hear for weeks. Wife was surprised to see so many trim and headliner pieces laying on the ground, but I got it done and put back together. And could then direct my attention to what turned out to be a rattling exhaust heat shield. $30 to the muffler shop guy with the welder, best money ever spent.
    I hadn't even thought of tire rotation. I have 6500 miles on mind and the oil life gauge is also at 40%, so I'm sure it will be nearly 10k before an oil change. I guess my inclination is to do them both at the same time. Eventually I'll buy tires locally and they provide free rotation so I'll do it separately from the oil maintenance.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,022
    Rotate your tires every 7000 miles for best results.. I do mine every 5 to 6k . Your out of your mind waiting 10 k on regular oil change in your Accord. You should be changing it now. Oil changes are so inexpensive why take a chance. You do not have synthetic oil in your Accord from the factory. Dont gauge your oil life from a computer it never does know when oil is breaking down.

just my 2 cents thou..

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

Honda does things differently now. They have computer readings that measure the viscosity and such of the oil to determine when an oil change will be, and it will differ depending on types of driving. Mine will probably be longer this time because it was spring and summer and not so much cold starts and snowy roads as in winter. The service people tell you to wait until the wrench icon shows up on the dash to schedule maintenance. They do not recommend doing it on your own schedule just because you have always done it that way. Most cars have much longer waits now between oil changes anyway. My Nissan was 7500 miles. Honda has built a reputation for long lasting engines so I'm following their recommendations.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,587
    well, you are supposed to go in when it hits 15%. so based on my experience, you will probably be right about 7,500 miles. Which just happens to be right around where our (former) odyssey, and current RDX, seem to come do. Also about the longest I would be willing to go!

I am fine with rotating the tires on that schedule too. I doubt doing it at 5k is going to make much difference. But, if it bothers you, just use a tire shop to have it done when you want, instead of having the dealer do it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,711
    >Honda ... have computer readings that measure the viscosity and such of the oil to determine when an oil change will be

Do you have any links for information about how that is done by Honda?

This message has been approved.

Yes, I had one back on this thread a ways. I'll try and find it again.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    The maintenance minder does not measure the viscosity. As per the link to Honda it measures what the engine does but does not actually take any readings on the oil. It is still quite accurate.

I just changed my oil at 15% and 9,600 miles. It would have been 11k to 0%, but I wanted to do the change before it got too nasty (snowed last night). I also was anxious to get in full synthetic.

Even after nearly 10k miles the oil still looked quite good.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,711
    I read the link and agree with previous poster that it doesn't measure viscosity. I was curious if it did anything beyond what most car have as their oil life intergrators; BMW has a setup that measures something else. I forget what exactly, but I believe it measures contamination along with the operating parameters.

This message has been approved.