Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    The big advantage of a hybrid is always in city driving. Surprised that they are only getting 21 mpg in the Accord. So far I am getting 26, Ex-L CVT.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    My 2013 Accord EX has over 5000 miles and the maintenance minder is still only at 60%. I believe in waiting until the minder tells me to change the oil, but this will put me over 10k. Any thoughts?
    I think they told me could be around 10000 miles depending on driving conditions. Follow the maintenance minder.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    For what it's worth, I was told by the dealer from whom I purchased my 2013 Accord told me that the "oil minder" is driven by a mathematical formula and does not reflect the actual condition of the oil. Therefore, if you're driving conditions are less than ideal (e.g. winter conditions, very hot weather, in town driving), I would not let 10000 miles pass before changing the oil.
    Sounds like your dealer wants you to pay for more oil changes. Yes, it's a formula but the formula is based upon actual driving conditions. That's what I was told. Here's an explanation of how it works:
    http://www.rbhonda.com/maintenance-minder-system.htm
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I'll have to give Richfield-Bloomington Honda a call as they're not far from me. In the end, however, with the coupons Honda and the dealer send out, for $25 I'm not going to worry about changing the oil a bit early (despite the environmental issue).
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I would not let any of my vehicles go over 5,000 miles on an oil change. Oil is the life of an engine and it is such an inexpensive thing. I have a Honda and my wife has a Cadillac CTS. If I went by the maintenance minder on the Cadillac, it would be 13,000 miles on an oil change. Talk to a mechanic that you trust and he will tell you the same. In my case, I have talked with my dealer's service supervisor whom I have known for a long time. Some don't trust their dealer's service department on this, but oil changes are not big money generators
    I'm sure Honda wants their vehicles to last a long time. For my Nissan the interval was 7500 miles, which I followed. Sold it at 139k and still going great. Times have changed.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The engineers know what they are doing and they usually incorporate a 2:1 safety factor. If they say it can go 10,000 miles it will probably go 20,000.

I change oil in my Accord about every 9,000 miles (according to the minder). 162,000 miles and the top of the engine still looks brand new (under oil fill cap). No sludge, so deposits, no visable wear.

I do use full synthetic as a little bit of extra insurance, but changing oil too often on a modern car is just throwing your money away.

I used to be a 3,000 mile guy (on my '90 Integra), but after 100,000 miles I got tired of throwing out oil that didn't even look dirty. So now at 231,000 miles I have a 23 year old vehicle with a great engine. Problem is changing the oil does not help the alternator, the cv joints, the brakes, the clutch, the water pump, the belts, the slight rust that is starting, the wear and tear on the seats, the slight musty smell of a 23 year old car. Those are the things that become a problem. Any engine can go 200k miles these days. Doesn't do much good if the car is worth basically nothing at that point.
  • marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78
    Honda uses a special brake in oil. Many other manufacturers don't do that. I was told by the head service guy at my dealer to let the oil monitor get to 20% before I bring the car in for the first oil change. It is important that the break in oil have enough mileage to do its job. My research has indicated that the oil life monitor Honda and Acura use is pretty accurate and you can let it run down to around 20% before you change the oil. However, after the first change, I will not go more than 7,500 miles without changing the oil. I am a little old school in that way.
  • marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78
    I got the HondaLink software update about 12 days ago and have not experienced the audio issue since the update. Hopefully that solved the problem.
  • smbyrnesmbyrne Member Posts: 1
    I just completed my purchase of an Accord Sport and drove it off the lot this evening. At about 45 miles, I had the system maintenance light come on already! I've tried resetting - followed exactly what the manual said - and even reset the vehicle systems to default. The light is still on. Anyone else have this issue or thoughts on it?
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I had a similar experience (weird jerking acceleration when I test drove the Accord. I also test drove the Nissan Altima (also with a CVT) and was more impressed, even though I have read of similar problems with nissan's CVT. I ended up buying the Altima and have not been disappointed.
    Never had it or heard of it even on Accord boards. Take it to the dealer - maybe just a glitch in the prep process as they may have to initialize the computer or something like that.

It is under warrantee so you are covered.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    edited May 2013
    The warranty isn't helping the 2013 Accord and 2013 Altima CVT issues because the manufacturers are not sure what is causing the problems (proposed "fixes" have had mixed results) or else are saying the jerkiness or lugging vibrations/noises are normal and there is nothing to fix.
    If you don't like the way it drives, you may be stuck with the issue warranty or not.
    These are the types of issues you have to deal with when you buy the first year model of a new design. The previous generation Altima did not have any of these CVT issues and the previous generation Accord did not have a CVT at all.
  • ziggy25aziggy25a Member Posts: 24
    I just want to chime in that after 1200 miles I have notice NO jerking or stutter in my I4 LX CVT transmission. I was very aware of the posts I read about this issue. I made sure to look for this problem on the test drive as well and had no issue with that vehicle either.
    I have an EX-L I4 CVT and have had no problems at all. Drives like a dream.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited May 2013
    Called the Honda Corp last month to inquiry about / stereo/ speakers/size info. Seems nobody new the answers there. After a 5 day wait and a call back here is what Honda told me about the 360 watt system.

1- It is a Alpine stereo

2- Speakers are Foster's

3= Speaker sizes are round.............. 6.6'9 in ft doors and rear deck

4- Subwoofer is 7'

Just to add to the oil change issue.

Oil changes are inexpensive why take a chance going more than 5k on your investment. I have about 500 miles on my exl V-6. When i hit 4k i will change the oil. To all the people who like to keep your cars 8 yrs or more I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Please post in forum if you changed your car speakers. Seems like the best rated speakers are all 6.9 inch which does not fit in this Accord.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Seems like the best rated speakers are all 6.9 inch which does not fit in this Accord.

I thought Honda said it had 6.9" speakers? 6 of them..1 in each door, and two in rear deck?
    Are you saying that the diameter may be the same but there isn't enough speaker depth room, as installed in the Accord?
    Honda speakers/ fosters are 6.6/.9 inch... almost 6.7 inch.. 2' tweeters are on top of doors.
    i have not inquired w any local stereo shops yet but i am figuring the 6.9 inch speakers are to big for the Accord casings.

• I bought the Optima EX with the Hyundai built 6 speed automatic. I like the Accord, but my father told me to never buy a car during it's first model year. I have 18,000 miles on it and zero problems. None.

Everyone told me not to buy a CVT. Everyone.
    Changing oil by maintenance minder is being safe. No need to waste money and resources. Not the 60's anymore. Oil and engines are much improved.

162,000 miles on 2007 Accord with 8-9k changes. Engine runs like a dream ready for another couple hundred thou.
  • angelblue76angelblue76 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if any of you have this same issues with the new 2013 Honda Accord CVT - EX Model. I leased my car back in February of this year.

- rattling noise coming from either the front passenger window/door or the console which comes and goes
    - tire squealing noise when backing up
    - the burnt smell after parking your car
    - the car seems to jerk when you slow down and take off your car from the gas pedal. it's worst when you're sitting in traffic
    - steering wheel sort of turns by itself when I'm driving, thought my tires are running flat but my tire pressure icon on the dash is not ON.

Are these issues covered by Honda's maintenance package? Please let me know. It sucks to have all these issues especially when the car is brand new.
    I have the V-6 EXL bought Feb,28th. I have none of your mentioned problems.
    I do feel a slight jerk every know and then when trans is shifting but thats the CVT shifting.

That burnt smell is from driving and braking hard, that smell will wear off as the brakes and rotor wears. Unless you always drive fast and brake hard that smell is normal.

Check to make sure you have the right air pressure in your tires its on the drivers door.

Call the closest Honda dealer and have them check out your concerns if these problems dont go away.

• wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    Your V-6 EXL you bought on Feb, 28th does not have a CVT. It has a 6 speed auto. The slight jerk every now and then is the VCM - variable cylinder management, but it's seamless so you don't really feel it.
    Correct.............. Thanks for pointing that out.

I don't have any of these issues with my EX-L CVT. I would check with your service department.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Well, the squealing noise while backing up is most likely just cold disk brakes. Especially after it rains.

The steel discs get a thin coating of oxidation and moisture after the car sits overnight, so when you back out of you driveway in the AM, the brakes can squeal and get grabby.

The rattling is a loose wire, such as a speaker wire in the door. (Car and driver had the same problem).

Car steering itself is probably a poltergeist/demon and you should get an Exorcism at once. (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Seriously though it is most likely torque steer if it happens while briskly accelerating....other than that check tire pressure(s).

If you think the transmission is really not operating properly by all means take it back to the dealer and get it checked out.
  • fair2usfair2us Member Posts: 26
    rsin101, you are absolutely right. But I am convinced from my experience at my local dealer and with American Honda Customer Service, that they have been instructed to elude any responsibility and follow-up. From what I have read, Honda doesn’t even pretend to understand what is going on with some of their models. If they had an answer for what’s happening with our vehicles, I’d like to think Honda would fix it. But I have yet to read about anyone finding a permanent solution to this inconsistent “shudder” or “jerking” issue. I am always happy to read about Accord owners who don’t have this issue, but I sure would like to hear from someone who has been faced with this problem and American Honda has taken care of them.
  • evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2013
    Anyone have an issue with the factory mats? After three months, mine wore a hole where my foot rest below the clutch (6 speed manual). Honda replaced it, but I'm sure this one will wear through too. Seems like the quality is not as good. Any recommendations for after market carpet mats. I don't like the rubber ones.
    lloyds makes excellent mats - much better than factory.

http://lloydmats.com/
  • golfr59golfr59 Member Posts: 1
    Using the navigation, I set a destination. The nav system began calculating the route and then a screen was displayed "HDD access error". The nav system then rebooted. This has now happened several times.

I'm taking my car in next week to have the navigation system software update installed. My Honda dealer can not verify the update will fix this specific problem. I asked them to order a hard disk drive (HDD) as plan-B. Honda does not have this part available yet. No availability date announced.

I live in Canada. Car is 2013 Accord EX-L 4-cyl. One month old.
  • elijahblake81elijahblake81 Member Posts: 1
    My issue is a little different, although I do feel the studdering feeling you're talking about, there's a more serious issue with my car that I feel is a serious safety issue.

It only happens from a cold start. When you first crank and put the car in Drive or Reverse the transmission doesn't engage, I have a video of where I caught it doing this. The RPM's shoot up but the MPH just sit at 0...

http://youtu.be/MJ1QdYJXgTE">link title
  • dtom7dtom7 Member Posts: 3
    I've been driving a 2013 accord lx for 6 months. I like it a lot but here are some problems that I'm facing. I would like to know if others are also experiencing the same problems.

1. I hear a noise somewhere from the front. I don't know how to explain the exact sound. Like a friction noise. It occurs when I take my foot off the break pedal and apply the gas pedal after a brief stop to take a turn. It happens frequently in my office parking lot.

2. The acceleration is jerky when both the econ button and air conditioner is on. Also the vehicle jerks a little bit when the breaks are applied lightly to stop the car at a signal.

3. When it rains hard the wiper on the driver side is drawing water towards the right side upon returning to base thereby obstructing visibility to some extent.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    Do you hear wind noise coming from the driver side window at 60mph plus ?
  • litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    I had some used Affinities on my Dodge Caliber for a short time, till I sold the Caliber. I liked them very much, as they were quieter than my original smaller wheeled Dunlops SP50's. Initially tho, some Caliber people had troubles with their original equipment Affinities on their Calibers, & I was very glad for my original Dunlops, which gave excellent mpg & good traction, both in rain & in snow.
  • litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    Know what you mean by the smell of Chinese rubber. Have had many rubber-coated binoculars. But one pair of Chinese Barska rubber-coated binos had a repugnant stink that finally went away.
  • scraw33scraw33 Member Posts: 13
    My 2013 is doing the same thing. I tend to immediately put it in gear and go to take off. That is when it happens to me. When I give the car ten to twenty seconds it doesn't seem to happen.
    Can you please let me know if the dealer informs you of a problem.
  • sdman9sdman9 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    I have the same issue on my Honda Accord Type S 2.4 liter V-tec engine. Got it in April 2012, I live in Europe so it is the European model like on this link but without the ugly wing at the back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8VecdBKy6g
    I have been complaining with the official Honda dealer since I got the car as I hate the feeling of jerking engine at half-full acceleration, somewhere between 2000 and 5000 rpm. On full gas it doesn't happen. And even though they acknowledge the jerking they will not confess that it is something wrong, but a "normal" behaviour of the V-tec engine and a lot of bs. They are forthcoming though in terms of trying to help so they arranged so I could test the same car from another owner and it was the same thing there. Now thery are offering me some great discounts on their other models like Civic, but also other brands in their portfolio like the BMW, so I will most likely switch to BMW although I would have preffered to have a normal working Accord. Of course I will probably end up loosing money on the switch. But I'm really surprised that Honda could allow themselves such a big engine flaw and then to play stupid instead of fixing it, I'm amazed by it, and utterly dissapointed by a brand that I loved.
    And it is manual transmission so nothing to do with CVT or whatever, doesn't happen when switching gears but during acceleration in any given gear.

Second issue is the enormous difference in engine power once I turn on the AC. This was the case in my previous model as well from 2007, but thought that they for sure must have fixed it in the new model but I was wrong. So when I turn on the AC I feel like driving a car of 100hp instead of 201hp, engine is roaring but nothing is happening. So when I need to overtake cars quickly on regular roads (not on highways), then I first turn off the AC and then start overtaking....unbelievable but true.
    Happyman
    If your going to alarm your new accord coup buy either the Viper 5901 or Python 991 alarm system they are the 2 best alarms you could buy for the money.

good luck

Brian

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    edited July 2013
    Late reply here. Just got my Accord a week ago, now going through this board to get caught up on things. Anyway, I had the same problem and found a partial solution in another forum.

Go into the iPhone settings on the phone itself: Settings->Bluetooth->HandsFreeLink. Turned on Show Notifications

Mine will now read messages, and display them when parked. But it will not reply to messages. Brings up the list of available responses, but will not send one... anyone else have any ideas on that?
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I've been curious about this as well. Wore through the original carpet mats in my last car ('08 Mazda3), left foot only. Then wore through the rubber WeatherTech mat I replaced it with. Then folded up a little towel to protect the carpet underneath. Was hoping not to have the same problem with the new Honda... time will tell.
  • seven_upsseven_ups Member Posts: 10
    "When the phone don't ring, you know it's Honda."
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2013
    The European Honda Accord is the Acura TSX in the US. Completely different car and different issue.

There are known issues with the new CVT transmission. I believe there was a TSB for updating software but not sure that completely fixed it. Check with your dealer (or in this thread I believe this was already reported).
  • nw_lanw_la Member Posts: 6
    This is my first Honda Accord. I HATE for the headlights to come on when I open the front door. How can I stop this from happening?
    One if my favorite features! Terrific at night in a darkened garage. What's not to like?

I do not know of any "known issues" with the CVT. there was an early software update for the audio and Bluetooth that has already been addressed.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • nw_lanw_la Member Posts: 6
    Ok, suydam, I can understand where you're coming from. I personally don't like it. So... can anyone out there tell me how to prevent the headlights from coming on when I open the front door? Surely, there must be a way.
    Turn off the auto headlights. Might work.

Also try fiddling around with the headlight settings in the car setup. There is not a separate line item for what you want but it may be linked to another attribute.
  • har6har6 Member Posts: 1
    Hello ppl, I purchased a Honda Accord 2013 EX in late June. I have noticed my backup camera black-out about 5 times and I am pretty concerned about it. There is around 1200 miles on the car. I am thinking of taking it to the dealer.

Here are the images taken on two different days

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any suggestions on trying to fix this?
    Cut the red wire under the steering column. Not the blue one like i did. I have no Camera on the mirror. It was such a nice feature .