Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• fair2usfair2us Posts: 26
    edited February 2013
    I bought my 2013 automatic Honda Accord LX sedan in November 2012 for $20,840 plus TTL. I thought it was a fantastic value until I spent more time in it. I am feeling the same jerking, stutter when gently accelerating from 5 to 40 mph. In fact, I think it is actually getting worse with the more miles that I put on it. I was told by my local Honda dealer that this is a common problem with the new Accord engines. The overly stiff ride also has worn on my nerves. Keep these things in mind Accord shoppers. Honda has NOT fixed these issues, nor are they taking care of their loyal Honda buyers like myself.
  • Has anyone been able to find a Honda dealership that is able to find a solution to the jerking and hesitation that the 2013 Honda Accord sedans are having issues with? I have a 2013 automatic Accord LX that was purchased in November 2012, and I know this stutter when accelerating from 5 to 40 mph is actually getting worse on my vehicle.
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    I don't think I saw any complaints about jerking / hesitation on this website. V6 owners complained about VCM vibration, but no jerking / hesitation. Do you have the 6 cyl or the 4 cyl ?
  • I got this from one of the Accord geek forums. Edmunds won't let me link to it but the info is worth reading:

"Thanks everyone for the great information. The thread should help many make the decision which may or may not be the same as mine.
    I think the main points are:
    1. Make sure it is Honda Care and not some Fly by Night Company.
    2. You do not have to get it at the time of sale.
    3. It is usually cheaper to get it from a different Honda dealer. http://hyannishondacare.com/ was the cheapest of the ones I looked at.
    I've a strong believer in being self insured. I get insurance for catastrophic things like health, home, and auto accidents. Auto accident is more that should I get sued up the wazoo then auto body damage. Being self insured means sometimes I will have to pay but over the long run, I will be well ahead. I was concern about the DI and CVT but the power train warranty which comes with the car is 5 years/60k miles. I also believe in Honda engineering.

Peace of mind means different things to different people. To me it means not spending money for something I did not need or want. I often spent money on things I did not need but wanted.
    At this time, I decided not to get Honda Care."
  • I had a Camry LE (?) from Hertz as a car rental for 10 days and wasn't too happy with it. I think the cost cutting is still quite evident even if they improved it. If you touch the roof you feel almost no fabric and the seats feel pretty thin and hard. At the front bumper I saw they used plastic screws and one came loose.

Just been at dealer last week to checkout new Accord and I think difference is huge especially with the (more expensive) EX-L. But best to check it out yourself. Finish is lot better and as good as my Acura I'm driving now. Haven't done a test drive though yet but supposedly it drives lot better than Camry (which feels to me little bit floaty and steering feel is not very direct).

There are always some problems with new cars. You could certainly wait a year or so until some issues are fixed but also remember forum is mainly about reporting problems so you don't know how widespread it is.
  • The first post showed jerking at low speeds for 4 cyl. Then later on there was the VCM vibration for 6 cyl. So both issues were reported by several.

Not sure if there's any TSB yet for those or if Accord is even working on a fix (and how many vehicles are affected).
  • I have a 2013 Honda Accord sedan 4cyl. When I brought it to my local dealer, they told me that this was normal, but I am almost positive it is worse today than it was a few months ago. As I type this to you, I am waiting for Honda customer service to give me a call back. I hope they will give me some information that is helpful.
  • I assume you have the CVT. Have you joined one or two of the Accord forums where many informed owners post their experiences? I haven't read that much negative about the CVT. Try vtec dot net and drive accord dot net
    When was your Accord LX built?
  • A Customer Service Agent from Honda, by the name of Brittany, asked that I bring my Accord to my local Honda dealership, Orr Honda of Hot Springs, and ride with a technician to make sure that they are experiencing the same hesitation, stutter, jerking in acceleration that we have concerns about. When I am able to do so, I will let you know what I am told.
  • I have a 2013 EX-L with Navi. I thought at night if the car was unlocked by the remote the headlights would come on. Do they?
  • I also have a 2013 EX-L V-6 model No Navi. Yes the headlights do come on with remote. You have to select that option in the menu set up for your keyless remote. Using the touch screen menu.
  • Sounds like I'm not the only one with an issue. I have a scratch on the backside of the plastic lens that covers my LCD screen. I noticed it on the first sunny day I had my sunroof open. It's only visible when the sun shines through. You can see it in the bottom right corner, but can feel nothing with your finger to determine it to be on the outside. My car had 200 miles on it when I noticed it. Took it to the dealer, no help. They looked at me like I was crazy. He also replied, "Do you know how much work is involved removing that cover?" I replied, "Do you know how much work it's going to take paying for this car?" .....silence. LOL I can live with it, but was pretty disappointed.
  • REF: 157
    Your response is classic. I love it!
    At least you got Michelin tires on your high-end model. Honda skimped on tires on the low end models.
    LX get Firestone or Continentals
    EX get Goodyear with some getting lower grade Michelins
    Sport gets high end Michelin
    It's all about the bottom line...

Do you like the car?
  • I would take it to different dealer and get it fixed. I had similar issue on Acura LCD screen and they fixed it without questioning it. Honda will pay the dealer for the repair so it cost them nothing.

Only thing to watch out for is that they don't scratch something else while 'fixing' it...
    I brought my 2013 Honda Accord to Orr Honda of Hot Springs to have back up sensors installed in January 2013. I left it at the dealership and Travis called to tell me that the backup installation kit that I was having them install was missing some pieces. Since they had my vehicle, I asked that a technician ride in the vehicle to identify what was causing a small stutter, jerking and hesitation when gently accelerating. I was told that the technician said that this was normal in the new Accords and that I had nothing to worry about. Over time, it seems that the stutter/jerking/hesitation has become more prevalent, so I called Honda’s customer service to complain about the issue. I was asked to take my Accord back to Orr Honda and ride with a Honda technician to see if they experienced what I was feeling. I felt the hesitation while sitting in the passenger seat at one point when the technician was driving, and by his reaction, I was under the impression he was convinced of the Accord’s stutter. When we arrived back at the dealership, the technician told the service manager that he didn’t find anything wrong with the drive. I felt that maybe I was mistaken about the technician’s reaction to the hesitation that we felt on the test drive. But before I left one of the service representatives, Jason, asked that I let them bring the Accord to the service area. After several minutes, Jason gave me a letter that said, DESCRIPTION: AUTO TRANS CONCERN, CUSTOMER STATE THE CAR HAS A SHUDDER ON TAKE OFF FROM 2-25MPH, CORRECTION: TECH 104 TEST DROVE CAR WITH CUSTOMER AND WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE PROBLEM. TECH 104 LIFTED CAR AND CHECKED FLUID. FLUID OVER FULL BY HALF A QUART. DRAINED FLUID ACCORDING TO SERVICE BOOK. RAN CODES WITH HDS AND FOUND NO DTC IN SYSTEM. TEST DROVE AND RETURNED CAR TO CUSTOMER. The fluid was filled by Honda to begin with. I have not replaced the fluid since purchase in November 2012. The following day, Friday, February 22nd, I started feeling the same hesitation at around 5 to 20 MPH. I called Honda again. Honda customer service asked me to bring the Accord back to Orr Honda and leave it for a day. I rearranged my week's work schedule to accommodate Honda’s request and brought it to Orr Honda the following Monday morning. Of course the Accord didn’t make a stutter all the way to the dealership. I made the mistake of telling the Orr Honda associate that I had not felt any problems on the way in. And they asked that I not leave it with them, but bring it back the next time I felt the jerking. I am so out done with Honda. As you might imagine, the jerking has occurred many times since then, but I just don’t have time to play with Orr Honda in the hopes that they will be able to diagnose the issue correctly.
  • trusso69trusso69 Posts: 68
    i thought the CVT (tranny) was sealed and there was no customer topoff possible. How could YOU have overfilled it without a place to add fluid?
    Have you tried turning ECO off?
    Yes, you're correct, I do have the CVT. Thank you for the website suggestions. My Accord LX was build in 10/12. I called Honda’s customer service to complain about the issue. I was asked to take my Accord back to Orr Honda and ride with a Honda technician to see if they experienced what I was feeling. I felt the hesitation while sitting in the passenger seat at one point when the technician was driving, and by his reaction, I was under the impression he was convinced of the Accord’s stutter. When we arrived back at the dealership, the technician told the service manager that he didn’t find anything wrong with the drive. I felt that maybe I was mistaken about the technician’s reaction to the hesitation that we felt on the test drive. But before I left, one of the service representatives, Jason, asked that I let them bring the Accord to the service area. After several minutes, Jason gave me a letter that said, DESCRIPTION: AUTO TRANS CONCERN, CUSTOMER STATED THE CAR HAS A SHUDDER ON TAKE OFF FROM 2-25MPH, CORRECTION: TECH 104 TEST DROVE CAR WITH CUSTOMER AND WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE PROBLEM. TECH 104 LIFTED CAR AND CHECKED FLUID. FLUID OVER FULL BY HALF A QUART. DRAINED FLUID ACCORDING TO SERVICE BOOK. RAN CODES WITH HDS AND FOUND NO DTC IN SYSTEM. TEST DROVE AND RETURNED CAR TO CUSTOMER. The following day, Friday, February 22nd, I started feeling the same hesitation at around 5 to 20 MPH. Honda customer service asked me to bring the Accord back to Orr Honda and leave it for a day. I rearrange my weeks work schedule to accommodate Honda’s request and brought it to Orr Honda the following Monday morning. Of course the Accord didn’t make a stutter all the way to the dealership. I made the mistake of telling the Orr Honda associate that I had not felt any problems on the way in. And they asked that I not leave it with them, but bring it back the next time I felt the jerking. I am so out done with Honda. As you might imagine, the jerking has occurred many times since then, but I just don’t have time to play with Orr Honda in the hopes that they will be able to diagnose the issue correctly.
    The first post showed jerking at low speeds for 4 cyl. Then later on there was the VCM vibration for 6 cyl. So both issues were reported by several.
    I felt the hesitation while sitting in the passenger seat at one point when the Honda technician was driving, and by his reaction, I was under the impression he was convinced of the Accord’s stutter. When we arrived back at the dealership, the technician told the service manager that he didn’t find anything wrong with the drive. I felt that maybe I was mistaken about the technician’s reaction to the hesitation that we felt on the test drive. But before I left one of the service representative, Jason, asked that I let them bring the Accord to the service area. After several minutes, Jason gave me a letter that said, DESCRIPTION: AUTO TRANS CONCERN, CUSTOMER STATED THE CAR HAS A SHUDDER ON TAKE OFF FROM 2-25MPH, CORRECTION: TECH 104 TEST DROVE CAR WITH CUSTOMER AND WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE PROBLEM. TECH 104 LIFTED CAR AND CHECKED FLUID. FLUID OVER FULL BY HALF A QUART. DRAINED FLUID ACCORDING TO SERVICE BOOK. RAN CODES WITH HDS AND FOUND NO DTC IN SYSTEM. TEST DROVE AND RETURNED CAR TO CUSTOMER. The following day, Friday, February 22nd, I started feeling the same hesitation at around 5 to 20 MPH. Honda customer service asked me to bring the Accord back to Orr Honda and leave it for a day. I rearrange my week's work schedule to accommodate Honda’s request and brought it to Orr Honda the following Monday morning. Of course the Accord didn’t make a stutter all the way to the dealership. I made the mistake of telling the Orr Honda associate that I had not felt any problems on the way in. And they asked that I not leave it with them, but bring it back the next time I felt the jerking. I am so out done with Honda. As you might imagine, the vibration has occurred many times since then, but I just don’t have time to play with Orr Honda in the hopes that they will be able to diagnose the issue correctly.
  • I've got a 2013 Accord EXL v6 w/Navi, so far i have not had any issues. Since you aren't far from NLR, Ar. bring it to Russell Honda in NLR. Ask for Bobby Sweet the Svc. Mgr., he'll take care of you. I've been a customer of their since 1983, he's got good techs, he'll do his best to take care of your issue. If he's not in ask for Keith. I don't know much about Orr Honda, i did buy a Toyota fror Orr Toyota, never had a issue with Orr Toyota. If there's a way to private msg. me let me know. I'll reply.