Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• suydamsuydam Posts: 1,034
    Sorry you didn't like yours. We are really loving our EX-L CVT. We find it extremely comfortable on trips, and surprisingly quiet (given my previous experience with Hondas). It's all subjective, but given the reviews and the responses from buyers in the first year, I'm not sure Honda has too much to worry about. :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• iugrad10iugrad10 Posts: 5
    The right rear tire on my 2013 accord LX CVT cracked on the inside shoulder last week. I took it to the bridgestone dealer as as expected it was termed to be a road hazard so no warranty coverage. It happened while the car was parked overnight in my garage, so I'm not sure if there was any damage earlier as I didn't hear any air leakage until after when I tried to fill air myself.

Has anyone here experienced problems with their firestone affinity tires that came on the 2013 accord LX CVT?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Cracked? Or got cut? Big difference. If it is *cracked* already from use of probably that hard Chinese rubber, then is wty without a doubt. I have so many items ranging from vehicle tires to 2 wheel hand cart and wheel barrow tires to even rubber stoppers on stuff that all cracked prematurely. All Chinese rubber..How can you tell if you have Chinese rubber? Perhaps not exclusively, but certainly with many products is to just just smell the rubber. If it has an extra rubbery smell...it is probably from China...and I don't mean just manufactured there...I mean sourced there also..
  • iugrad10iugrad10 Posts: 5
    It is a crack, probably half an inch long on the chassis side of the tire. The OEM replacement tire is expensive and not available on the shelf, I ordered for $170 installed.
  • jsin1jsin1 Posts: 5
    Wow, nice to see I'm not the only one. I've had my 2013 Honda EX-L 4 Cyl Coupe less than a week, and I'm seriously underwhelmed by the audio. Sound quality from all sources is like an AM radio station, and the radio stations themselves are full of static. Soooo disappointing, and I'm not an audiophile.

Has anyone found any solutions? Even after-market? Can we install firmware updates ourselves or do we have to go to a dealer? Any help is appreciated!
    It's actually quite a good audio system but the presets are terribly off. Bass is muted for some reason. You have to manually re-adjust them.
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 78
    I received a letter from Honda alerting me to a software update for the Hondalink system. I took my car to the dealer this morning for the update. We will see if this solves the occasional distortion issue. I would say the issue would appear about 10% of the time I turned the system on. So I should know within a week or so whether the update solves the problem.
    I agree, the default settings are not the best. I have manually adjusted my settings and that has greatly improved the sound quality. It is a decent audio system, but it is also not a $40,000 car.
  • lucien4lucien4 Posts: 68
    This is comparing the Fusion hybrid with Accord. CR did get these numbers:

city/highway/combined:
    Accord LX: 21/40/30 mpg
    Fusion Hybrid: 35/41/39 mpg

So as expected big jump in city mpg and not so much in highway for a hybrid.
    The big advantage of a hybrid is always in city driving. Surprised that they are only getting 21 mpg in the Accord. So far I am getting 26, Ex-L CVT.
  • evped2evped2 Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    My 2013 Accord EX has over 5000 miles and the maintenance minder is still only at 60%. I believe in waiting until the minder tells me to change the oil, but this will put me over 10k. Any thoughts?
    I think they told me could be around 10000 miles depending on driving conditions. Follow the maintenance minder.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Posts: 163
    For what it's worth, I was told by the dealer from whom I purchased my 2013 Accord told me that the "oil minder" is driven by a mathematical formula and does not reflect the actual condition of the oil. Therefore, if you're driving conditions are less than ideal (e.g. winter conditions, very hot weather, in town driving), I would not let 10000 miles pass before changing the oil.
    Sounds like your dealer wants you to pay for more oil changes. Yes, it's a formula but the formula is based upon actual driving conditions. That's what I was told. Here's an explanation of how it works:
    http://www.rbhonda.com/maintenance-minder-system.htm
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Posts: 163
    I'll have to give Richfield-Bloomington Honda a call as they're not far from me. In the end, however, with the coupons Honda and the dealer send out, for $25 I'm not going to worry about changing the oil a bit early (despite the environmental issue).
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    I would not let any of my vehicles go over 5,000 miles on an oil change. Oil is the life of an engine and it is such an inexpensive thing. I have a Honda and my wife has a Cadillac CTS. If I went by the maintenance minder on the Cadillac, it would be 13,000 miles on an oil change. Talk to a mechanic that you trust and he will tell you the same. In my case, I have talked with my dealer's service supervisor whom I have known for a long time. Some don't trust their dealer's service department on this, but oil changes are not big money generators
    I'm sure Honda wants their vehicles to last a long time. For my Nissan the interval was 7500 miles, which I followed. Sold it at 139k and still going great. Times have changed.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    The engineers know what they are doing and they usually incorporate a 2:1 safety factor. If they say it can go 10,000 miles it will probably go 20,000.

I change oil in my Accord about every 9,000 miles (according to the minder). 162,000 miles and the top of the engine still looks brand new (under oil fill cap). No sludge, so deposits, no visable wear.

I do use full synthetic as a little bit of extra insurance, but changing oil too often on a modern car is just throwing your money away.

I used to be a 3,000 mile guy (on my '90 Integra), but after 100,000 miles I got tired of throwing out oil that didn't even look dirty. So now at 231,000 miles I have a 23 year old vehicle with a great engine. Problem is changing the oil does not help the alternator, the cv joints, the brakes, the clutch, the water pump, the belts, the slight rust that is starting, the wear and tear on the seats, the slight musty smell of a 23 year old car. Those are the things that become a problem. Any engine can go 200k miles these days. Doesn't do much good if the car is worth basically nothing at that point.
    Honda uses a special brake in oil. Many other manufacturers don't do that. I was told by the head service guy at my dealer to let the oil monitor get to 20% before I bring the car in for the first oil change. It is important that the break in oil have enough mileage to do its job. My research has indicated that the oil life monitor Honda and Acura use is pretty accurate and you can let it run down to around 20% before you change the oil. However, after the first change, I will not go more than 7,500 miles without changing the oil. I am a little old school in that way.
    I got the HondaLink software update about 12 days ago and have not experienced the audio issue since the update. Hopefully that solved the problem.
  • smbyrnesmbyrne Posts: 1
    I just completed my purchase of an Accord Sport and drove it off the lot this evening. At about 45 miles, I had the system maintenance light come on already! I've tried resetting - followed exactly what the manual said - and even reset the vehicle systems to default. The light is still on. Anyone else have this issue or thoughts on it?
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I had a similar experience (weird jerking acceleration when I test drove the Accord. I also test drove the Nissan Altima (also with a CVT) and was more impressed, even though I have read of similar problems with nissan's CVT. I ended up buying the Altima and have not been disappointed.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    Never had it or heard of it even on Accord boards. Take it to the dealer - maybe just a glitch in the prep process as they may have to initialize the computer or something like that.

It is under warrantee so you are covered.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    edited May 2013
    The warranty isn't helping the 2013 Accord and 2013 Altima CVT issues because the manufacturers are not sure what is causing the problems (proposed "fixes" have had mixed results) or else are saying the jerkiness or lugging vibrations/noises are normal and there is nothing to fix.
    If you don't like the way it drives, you may be stuck with the issue warranty or not.
    These are the types of issues you have to deal with when you buy the first year model of a new design. The previous generation Altima did not have any of these CVT issues and the previous generation Accord did not have a CVT at all.
  • ziggy25aziggy25a Posts: 24
    I just want to chime in that after 1200 miles I have notice NO jerking or stutter in my I4 LX CVT transmission. I was very aware of the posts I read about this issue. I made sure to look for this problem on the test drive as well and had no issue with that vehicle either.
    I have an EX-L I4 CVT and have had no problems at all. Drives like a dream.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,221
    edited May 2013
    Called the Honda Corp last month to inquiry about / stereo/ speakers/size info. Seems nobody new the answers there. After a 5 day wait and a call back here is what Honda told me about the 360 watt system.

1- It is a Alpine stereo

2- Speakers are Foster's

3= Speaker sizes are round.............. 6.6'9 in ft doors and rear deck

4- Subwoofer is 7'

Just to add to the oil change issue.

Oil changes are inexpensive why take a chance going more than 5k on your investment. I have about 500 miles on my exl V-6. When i hit 4k i will change the oil. To all the people who like to keep your cars 8 yrs or more I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Please post in forum if you changed your car speakers. Seems like the best rated speakers are all 6.9 inch which does not fit in this Accord.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Seems like the best rated speakers are all 6.9 inch which does not fit in this Accord.

I thought Honda said it had 6.9" speakers? 6 of them..1 in each door, and two in rear deck?
    Are you saying that the diameter may be the same but there isn't enough speaker depth room, as installed in the Accord?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,221
    Honda speakers/ fosters are 6.6/.9 inch... almost 6.7 inch.. 2' tweeters are on top of doors.
    i have not inquired w any local stereo shops yet but i am figuring the 6.9 inch speakers are to big for the Accord casings.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350