Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru XV Crosstrek

2»

Comments

• tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    350mi of mixed suburban/hwy driving = 29.6mpg That's better than the highway mileage I got on my old 2010 Escape!!!!
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    yup...our 2012 Impreza/CVT with 26k miles on it gets an average of about 32 mpg in mixed, mostly country, driving. Have seen it as high as 37-8 on moderate speed, continuous freeway driving.

Watch for it to plunge in the winter though, it loses about 2-3 mpg on the winter gas and cold weather.

John
  • denver5357denver5357 Posts: 319
    edited July 2013
    Bought a Limited with Popular Option Package 1 including dealer fee for $23,800 last week. Promptly loaded it up with three people and stuff and took it on a 2-hour drive into the Rocky Mountains to Vail. A few impressions:

- Impressed by the room and the interior in general. Never felt cramped.
    - It rode smoothly, through bumps and construction and at speeds up to 75 mph. Always felt surefooted.
    - That said, the CVT on a mountain incline from a standstill? No. Just no. We hit traffic near Idaho Sprints and came to a stop on the interstate. When traffic would suddenly pick up again (inexplicably), we were a clear laggard in getting back up to speed. Of course, I don't drive those inclines that often.
    - MPG was 30, pretty good on those steep ups and downs and long grades.

The one puzzling thing to me is the fact the CrossTrek doesn't automatically lock doors when you hit a certain speed. Subaru was concerned enough about safety to make the radio setting controls inoperable when the CrossTrek is moving, yet they didn't have the doors auto lock - a clear safety issue.

So far I like it a lot.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,461
    yet they didn't have the doors auto lock - a clear safety issue.

Are you new to the brand? I haven't had a Subaru yet that does that, for which I am glad. Nothing was more annoying to me when I bought a Ford last year than having the doors lock automatically. Thankfully, I was able to turn off that "feature." Unbelievably annoying. Tip for manufacturers: if I want my doors locked, I'll lock them myself, thank you!

That aside, that's pretty decent mileage for the trip you described! Sounds like your car had a full load, to boot.
    oh....you hit a sore spot...

I hate the auto locks. Have them on an older BMW...we have 2 Subarus, an '03 Forester and '12 Impreza...neither has them.

John
  • denver5357denver5357 Posts: 319
    I used to feel that way about auto locks. But with kids and a worried wife, having the doors lock without having to remember to lock them is helpful. I haven't had a car not autolock in years, other than my base model Jeep with the manual windows. I can live with it.

I tell you, using not even a half tank of gas for that trip was amazing. Really digging that.
    I'm still waiting on more news about the US version. There was a bit of discussion about "what is the point" when the initial announcement was for only 1 mpg additional highway for the hybrid vs the standard.

Bit old, but AutoBlog is saying 45 mpg on the Japan circuit http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/subaru-xv-hybrid-the-companys-first-goes-on- -sale-in-japan/

I'm hoping for 40+ mpg highway on the US version.

John
  • Hi, Is it $23,800 out the door price? And if it is, could you please tell me the dealer information? Thanks.
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/volkswagen-alltrack-to-target-subaru-xv-crosstre- k-in-us.html

I wonder what kind of power train(s) they will offer. I might start drooling if they indicated diesel, or even the 1.4 turbo/hybrid option.

Still, I haven't been impressed with VW reliability. That idea was reinforced a couple days ago when a newish VW wore out his battery and starter while in a gas station line in front of me.

I'm still on the fence here, looking for a breakthrough on the mpg in this segment. CMAX is also on the radar.

John
  • Non-Hybrid, just got 31.25mpgs doing 75-80 on 400mi trip, hand calculated with 6,500mi on the odometer. Crazy part is on the trip back had cruise on at 68mph for most part and kept it between 65-70 when off, only got 32mpgs. For me there wasn't much of a difference in how fast I drove.
  • direction is important, a couple mph with or against the wind could make that kind of difference.

Glad to know it is giving you 30+. Our Impreza hatch w/CVT is doing consistent 33-34 mpg average overall.

John
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    What kind of mileage do you get in city or local driving?
  • City driving drives it down to around the 20mpg range, depending on season, summer 20-22, winter 18-20. When it's suburban driving I can get 27-30mpg depending on traffic conditions. Hand calculated mpgs & 10% ethanol, overall I can't complain about EPA sticker figures and what my real world numbers are.
    edited October 2013
    If they put a diesel in the Passat Alltrack, that's a potential winner for me. I'm not confident that VW wouldn't try to rake buyers over the coals on the price, but a diesel AWD wagon would definitely catch my attention. Put it in at <$30K (well-equipped) and ~35-38 mpg? Yes, please!
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    Such a vehicle would be very nice, but after ownership of multiple (8!)Audi and VW models including diesel I'm sure they would require tender loving care from the dealer at many inconvenient times. My Subaru experience with 4 vehicles (Legacy, Outback and two Foresters) has been add gasoline and change the oil. If I had kept them long enough for the dreaded head gasket problem to occur, my opinion might be different. The new Subaru designs should end that high mileage costly problem. VW and Audi AFAIK are still very nice to drive but not nice to own.
    I hear the same about VW, and have had the same experience as yours with Subaru. No head gasket problem on my '03 XS after 171k.

John
    I like my Subarus, but I'm likely not going to buy another one unless it comes with a diesel engine. Happily, my '10 Forester w/ MT only has 69,000 miles on it, so I can keep it a good long while before I start to get antsy for a replacement.
    I'm surprised that with your local climate you would like a diesel. My winter Audi diesel experience included adding kerosene to the fuel to prevent jelling.

Starting here in Chicago was better than Mercedes' diesels by about 10 degrees F, but still problematic. A plug-in dipstick heater is a needed accessory. The last car I remember that needed that was my father's 1948 Cadillac which was the last year for a Cadillac with a 6 volt battery!
    Well, we don't use #2 (standard in most places) diesel here during the winter months. All the pumps carry #1 (essentially kerosene) from October through April. Gelling really isn't an issue unless you don't use the vehicle on a regular basis.

I haven't had a diesel up to this point, as the only thing with them is essentially trucks and VWs, and I don't need another truck. I'm excited about the expansion of diesel in the market, so with two relatively new daily drivers in the stable, I'm in no hurry. I just like to watch the offering list. :-)
    #1 diesel probably would have prevented a near disaster for some friends here whose Mercedes got jelled fuel while cruising at 60 mph on a remote country road. They were rescued by the highway patrol.

Since the Subaru diesel seems to need an additive system to meet pollution controls here,and Subaru has not built one.....the wait could be extensive. I believe the new high torque capacity CVT now used in Australian Subaru diesels might solve the other problem of an adequate automatic transmission. Some of us might prefer manual, but most of the public can't drive one.
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287

Any word on what changes will be coming with the 2015 Crosstrek???

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529

@tinycadon, I've been following the Crosstrek a little since my sister is interested in getting one. I haven't seen any news about the 2015, and since it's supposed to be a carryover model, I wouldn't expect anything other than minor changes.

Back to my sister, she currently is running an '05 Forester into the ground. She has been wanting a MINI for years now but is a bit leery of the maintenance and she's not too close to a dealer. We saw a Crosstrek last year tooling around Virginia and she liked the looks (even before she realized it was a Subaru).

She just got new tires so it'll be another six months before she buys (or so she claims, lol).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nhgarynhgary Posts: 2

Report on 2013 Crosstrek with manual transmission: We have 13k on our XV, pros: getting 28 to 32mpg, four wheel drive is great. Cons: Fabric seat covers wear prematurely, we must purchase aftermarket seat covers for it. One rear yokohama tire is bald after only 13k miles, . Ask for a tire warranty if you buy a new Crosstrek. Quality is not as good as Nissan or Honda.

• nhgarynhgary Posts: 2

Oh, and engine is very underpowered!

2»