Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Honda Accord Driving Impressions

Comments

• beav6beav6 Posts: 7
    I guess it's a sign of the times that civil dialog is dismissed. You can write me off if you like but I would be interested in your highway consumption numbers.
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    edited April 2013
    Looking around ... not many people talking here ... OK, I would look at the "EPA Fuel Economy", not at the "Unofficial MPG Estimates from Vehicle Owners ":

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33172&id=33269

So on highway, the V6 running on 3 cylinders burns more gas than the 4 cyl running on all its cylinders. I agree the difference is small. But the real difference is in city driving when all 6 cylinders stay turned on (Honda couldn't turn off 3 cylinders when waiting at the red light, because the engine would vibrate like crazy).

If you ask about my car (2012 Accord, 4 cyl, manual), the most economical value I got was 6 liters per 100 Kms, which is 39mpg. This looks better than the best EPA value for my car, but a bit worse than the NRC value:
    http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/ratings-results.cfm

Canadian and US values don't match for the same car. Because the testing method is different. Canadians test highway driving at very low speed (48 mph - not realistic). US testing is more realistic. For instance to get that very economical value for my own car, I drove on side roads at relatively low speed (around 50-55 mph) for many hours, without many stops (this gets better mileage than going high speed on highway, because of the high friction with the air at high speeds). Nobody drives at 48 mph on US highways. Here in Canada, on these curvy side roads, you can drive for hours at relatively low speed.

At least you didn't buy a V8 4x4 Hummer to take the kids to the soccer practice. I saw it done.
    Thanks for the info Rodut. You're correct, of course, when we're sitting at a light or around town. We just completed our first highway trip of aprx 1200 miles and got between 38 and 40 mpg. Manual calc was right with the car computer calc. Most of our driving is highway so I don't think ou Accord will compelety spoil the air you breath.
    Highway involves speeds way higher than my 50-55 mph. So poorer mileage. Even if we had the same engine.

Was it downhill all the time ?
    ;)
    Nope, St. Louis to Athens Georgia has as much uphill as down (Tennessee mountains). We drive 70 to 75 mph and go thru several stop & go towns like Nashville and Atlanta. I was pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage as our 2008 V6 wouldn't do more than 30 mpg. By the way, you're cold cylinder theory is as least a little more credible than the global warming bit :)
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 78
    I have a one month old Honda Accord EXL V6 and am totally happy with it. My lease was up on my 2010 Acura TL, and though I loved the TL, I just could not see a major difference in my TL to the new 2013 Accord, other than handling. The interior in the Honda is every bit as nice or nicer than my TL was (granted the TL came out in 2009). Acceleration is on par and gas mileage is about 25% better in town and about 35% better on the highway. Much more room in backseat and trunk and much better visibility. TL had some pretty bad blind spots. That is huge difference. I just could not justify a $6,000 difference in price. And, on top of that, I got a $4,000 discount on my car from my local Honda Dealer, so I bought it and did not lease this time. I plan on keeping this car 8 to 10 years. Besides the Accord, I looked, from a lease standpoint, at another TL, ES 350, Avalon, BMW 3 series and a few others. From purchasing standpoint, I looked at Altima, Camry, Optima, Fusion. My view was Accord V6 was significantly better than all other alternatives with the exception of the Fusion. I think Ford has done great job with that car and if it was not for the horrible "My Ford Sync" system, I may have bought the Fusion. The mainstream manufacturers have done a fantastic job upgrading the main street midsize sedan. They now rival the entry level luxury sedans in many ways and the price difference makes them great options versus, for example, an ES 350.
  • ar39ar39 Posts: 61
    Not so fast rodut. I clocked 42 mpg on my 2013 touring driving 100% highway at ~60mph for 250 miles. Even though 250 miles is a short distance and the route didnt have much change in the altitude, 38 mpg for a the new V6 is possible.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 924
    I agree that midsized sedans have improved tremendously. Our previous vehicle was a Nissan Maxima (granted, an '01), and the Accord is so much better that we didn't even look at a new Maxima. The Maxima is now very large and it continues to require premium fuel. We got the 4 cyl Accord and love it so far. Visibility is excellent. It has all the premium features we want: heated leather seats, lane watch, backup camera, nice stereo (not as good as the Maxima Bose but much better than average), great touch screen connectivity and access to Pandora and XM. Didn't get nav because we don't need it with a smartphone, which connects beautifully too. It's amazing that so many features that once were only available on cars like the Maxima and Acura have now become standard on many midsized sedans.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    Several personally-directed posts have been removed. You know who you are. Let's keep the conversation focused on vehicles rather than on each other.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• marcus216marcus216 Posts: 78
    I have a friend who just leased a new Acura RLX. It is a beautiful car, no doubt about it. But he had not seen my Accord EXL V6 until the other day. I let him drive the Accord. And he made an interesting comment. He said that there is no way his RLX is worth 20 grand more than my Accord. He thinks the cars are very similar in the way they drive, handle, etc. Now, there is no question the RLX is an upgrade, don't misunderstand me, but I agree, I can't find 20 grand difference.
    edited April 2013
    I agree that in ideal conditions (like your low speed drive, on a flat highway) you can achieve impressive mileage (like the EPA or Canadian ratings). 42 mpg on a 4-cylinder is probably as good as you can get.

But if somebody says he got 38-40 mpg, on a V6, when mountains were involved, big cities were crossed in a stop-and-go setting, and the rest was high speed driving (70-75 mph), then that's BS.

I don't know how to say it more polite than this.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    It's my understanding that there's no blind spot indicator on the driver side, but just on the passenger side. If so, seems odd to just have it on one side and not both.
    The rationale is that when you're turning right, you are looking right, toward the screen. But when you're turning left, you're looking away from the screen so it would be more unnatural and a distraction. It is very useful when merging into a right lane.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    Yes but other cars have a little light indicator that pops up in the driver side mirror when a car is in theblind spot on the driver side. Wish the accord had that. The Camry for instance has the option of ablind spot indicator on both driver and passenger side.
  • 4lc4pon34lc4pon3 Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I just wanted to know if there were any other cars I COULD of looked at before purchasing my Brand New 2013 Honda Accord Sport (Automatic with Paddle Shifters) Sedan. Here is my story

I Purchased a 2009 Honda Civic LX from Honda 1 year ago and it was the WORST car I have ever owned. When I first purchased the Civic I was new to Financing so I jumped in without really doing any research so I got the car at 12,995 but had a 13% Interest rate @ 380.00 per month.

1. Paint Scratches super easy
    2. EXCESSIVE road noise (Unbearable)
    3. Basic Interior
    4. Transmission was semi jerky

I finally Decided I could not take this car anymore so I went back to Honda and told them I hate this car & I need to get out of it NOW ive had enough. He told me he could get me out of the Civic and into a Brand New 2013 Honda Accord Sport (Black on Black) so I with excitement did what I had to do and bought it.

anyways I was wondering in the price range of 24-25k what other options could I have looked at or gotten into. I read great reviews of the 2013 Accord but I do know there are MANY cars out there. Did I make the right choice???

I do love the car is a black on black 2013 Honda Accord Sport, 18s, leather, Comfortable seats, Primacy MXM4 tires (Super Quiet), transmission shifts superbly and the ride is fantastic, Interior is really nice.

Wish It came with Push button start but it didn't. I am paying more for the Accord because they tacked on an extended warranty which was 2398, I had a roll over for the civic of 1608 and dmv fees added. I ended up paying 35,142 for the accord @ 480 per month 100.00 more.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Not sure if you can do this, but consider canceling the warranty, and shopping the online dealers for hondacare at probably half the price. Not much you can do about the rest of the deal - looks like you have made the purchase and are now doing research - 35k for an accord sport seems like a very high number.
    Have had our Accord EX-L CVT for just over a month now. Just took it on a 100 mile trip and back, mostly freeway, but some city winding around too. Got 38 mpg on the highway, 35 mpg overall. Very pleased with the CVT so far. We had a V6 Maxima before, but the CVT 4 cyl. acquits itself very well and takes regular fuel. It has plenty of power and isn't noisy. Seats are extremely comfortable on a long drive. Visibility is excellent and I love the right lane camera -- great help on the highway changing lanes. Inside, everything is easy to reach from the driver's position -- cruise control is particularly well located on the wheel itself rather than on the stalk. The suspension is just right for me -- not too cushy so the drive feels wallowy, but not so firm that you notice every bump, and I drove over and around many, many, potholes on this trip. So far it's an excellent car and we are really pleased with it.
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 221
    I'm sure by now you realize you overpaid by about $10k and there's not much you can do about. I agree that you should cancel your extended warranty and buy one somewhere else for half (maybe less than half) of what you paid. It's likely going to be awhile before you buy another car and hopefully these last two experiences will make you a better shopper.
    edited April 2013
    Just cancel altogether. Why get an extended warranty with a Honda? BTW, this forum is for "driving impressions". Why not go over to "prices paid" where such things as warranties are discussed?