Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Honda Accord Driving Impressions

13»

Comments

• packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    Need to know, been driving for a million years regular to my first CVT 2013 Accord, it's awesome you don't feel the gear changes no buck in between or engine rev. so why do I read about the issues of the CVT unless you have test driven the new Accord and if you do you will be amazed.
  • flgirl2flgirl2 Posts: 7
    edited April 2013
    I am very close to buying and have driven both the 4cyl Accord EX-L and v6. I am unsure if the extra 2K is worth it or not. IMO, upon test drive of both vehicles, I noticed a higher noise level with the 4 cyl upon acceleration. The v6 was more powerful, no doubt. My main focus is mpg savings which immediately makes me think I should get the 4 cyl but I have concerns about the complaints with the CVT. My commute is almost 2 hours each day. I also drive to FL with my 3 teenage kids and our "stuff" twice a year so the mileage adds up quickly. I am trading in my 2012 CRV. Loved the vehicle but disliked the gas mileage. If anyone can offer their 2 cents on which model I should select, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thank you!
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 882
    We just made the change from a V6 Maxima to the 4cyl EX-L Honda, also for fuel economy. It does take a little getting used to a 4cyl after a V6. CVT not an issue for us. If you didn't know it was a CVT you would just think it was a regular 4 cyl car. We did exclude the Nissan Altima CVT because we thought it was annoyingly noisy with an unpleasant whine when you accelerate. Not so the Accord. It is a bit louder than a V6 but not excessively so, and only at first acceleration. It has plenty of power. Overall it's very smooth and surprisingly quiet. We felt the payoff in fuel economy is definitely worth it. We've had it over a month now and are very satisfied so far.
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 77
    I recently purchased the EXL V6 and am very happy with it. I bought the V6 for several reasons. 1st, I don't like CVT transmissions, even though the one in the Honda is probably the best of the bunch. 2nd, I like having the extra power and the V6 is significantly more powerful than the 4cyl and it is also much smoother, in my opinion. My gas mileage has been impressive, at least to me. I average about 23 MPG in town, and on my one road trip on the interstate, I got just over 35 MPG. Great numbers for a V6. I realize the price difference and it is sizable. That was a huge consideration for me, but in the end, since I plan on keeping the car 8 to 10 years, I felt the extra power, smoothness, and the excellent gas mileage offered by the V6 was worth it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I am trading in my 2012 CRV. Loved the vehicle but disliked the gas mileage

The loss you'll take trading in a car to gain some MPGs is kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't it? You're spending money to save money. Obviously I don't know specific numbers, but both vehicles being equal in your eyes (liking them both), you're going to be on the losing end of the financial equation for several years most likely.
    thegraduate...true but since the dealer is a personal friend...I think I'm going to make out pretty well...after 5 cars with him, referrals that I bring him, and our freindship...it better be! :)
    suydam....thank you for the input. I'm leaning toward the 4 cyl. I don't plan on holding the car for very long. (2 to 2 1/2 years max is what I average) I'm looking forward to getting it soon. Now my question is WHAT COLOR? I like the white, black and red. What do you have? Thanks!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Good to hear. I do like both the CR-V and the Accord (I've had both a '96 and an '06 Accord 4-cyl)!
  • Hi guys, 2013 Honda Accord V6 here, just hit over 1K.

I swear when I first synced up my iphone and used bluetooth, it would mute my music and give me verbals directions when I used the iphone map app. Now, it says my iphone is linked via bluetooth, but I don't hear the directions verbally. To deal with this, I have to change it every single time I get into the car so the verbal directions come through my iphone directly.

Same deal - I thought my music would mute when a new text in, but it no longer does it. I never got the opportunity to try the text reading function.

I tried to reset to factory default settings in hopes that it would fix this problem but it hasn't. Help?!
    Update on my purchase....I decided to go with the Accord 4 cyl in black and don't regret it one bit. I have had no issues with the CVT after driving it since Tuesday night. Happy to have made the switch from the CRV...saving on gas was key and I'm definitely doing that! Thanks for the input!
  • I too was in a dilemma and could not decide to purchase the 6 cylinder or 4. After driving them both several times, I decided to go with the 4. One of the deciding factors was that the highway mileage estimate on the 6 is based on cylinder deactivation. This feature only works when cruising up to 75 MPH. Once you hit 75, all 6 cylinders stay on constantly. Drivers have reported a steep decrease in MPG. Our state speed limit on the highway was increased to 75 MPH, which means 75-80 in normal driving.

If you have any real-world mileage when driving over 75 MPH for a good length of time I would be interested to know what your average is. The V6 is a terrific car.
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 77
    Nothing wrong with going with the 4cyl. I test drove it and considered it a viable alternative, especially since it was significantly less expensive than the 6 cyl. But I like the extra power and plan on keeping the car 8 to 10 years. I am out on the road occasionally and while the 4 cyl is certainly very peppy, I just like having that big power boost when needed . I have had several road trips in the 6 cyl and am averaging just under 35 mpg highway and yes, I assume some of that is due to VCM in the engine. I will try upping my cruising speed next time to see any difference. Congratulations on your purchase.
  • daveg12daveg12 Posts: 1
    I absolutely love the transmission on this car! I just came off of a 30 month Acura TSX 4cyl with automatic lease and traded in a a 36 month Accord EX lease. Prior to my Acura, most of my previous cars were manual transmissions. I liked Acura's lease terms but they never had any manual transmissions in stock in my area so I went ahead and got the automatic which turned out to be a real snoozer and I never felt an emotional connection to that car. The manual on my new Accord is the best I have ever used (previous cars w/ manual; BMW 328, Mitsubishi 3000Gt, Toyota MR2 Turbo, Nissan 240sx). The shifting is so precise I really look forward to driving it. The 4cyl engine has plenty of power. It isn't especially fast, but has more than enough oomph to it. The handling is way better than I ever expected out of a coupe based on a family car.
    Other cars that I test drove were;
    Camaro V6- Like sitting in a small plastic box and looking through a hole. I can't believe that car actually had 300+ horsepower. It felt like it was pulling a trailer. The manual transmission was sloppy and had really long throws. I think it would actually have been better with an automatic.
    Dodge Challenger V6- Beautiful, but slower than molasses without a V8. Handled like an ocean freighter with a broken rudder.
    Ford Mustang V6- Not too bad, but the interior was a bit too primitive for my liking. Very fast for a V6. Possibly the next generation will be my first American car since 1988. I guess what I dislike most about the Mustang is that I would have to hit the panic button on my key fob in a parking lot in order to figure out which is mine. In other words, Everyone has one already.
    Volkswagen GTI- Great little car! but maybe too little. Ok, definitely too little. Quick and handled great. By my opinion it is unfortunately unattractive.
    Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0T- A close runner up but a bit to cramped inside. Very plasticy interior. Quick and handled well. I was unable to justify the lease terms due to, I am guessing, horrible residual value.

My goal was to find a good driving 2 door with a manual transmission that could be leased for around $300 a month with no money down. The Accord coupe is not as performance oriented as most of the cars I looked at, but it didn't have huge faults like the others. It is decent at just about everything and looks fantastic in black. My one dislike is that the seats could use a bit more lateral support. I live in an area with a lot of twisty roads and at speed I feel a little unconnected. Other than that the interior is light years ahead of the others I test drove.
13»