Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Subaru Forester

Comments

• dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432

@saedave said: 0 to 60 time for the Forester is notably less than the Outback...each with a CVT but the same engine specification. With not very different weights, that suggests there could be a difference in the CVTs. I'm not referring to the Foresster XT's different higher torque rating CVT.

Is the Outback 0-60 time based on the CVT in D(rive) mode or is it in M(anual) using paddle shifters? Remember, Forester non-XT models do not have M mode or paddle shifters.

• saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 679

Consumer Reports' measurements are in drive mode, I believe. Of course final drive ratio could be different except that Forester also gets outstanding highway mpg in their tests.

Could the drag coefficient of the higher Forester actually be better than the Outback?...seems unlikely.

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747

Subaru apparently made improvements to the CVT for the regular '14 Forester, and a new short-pitched chain CVT model for both XT and (tweaked) upcoming WRX). The CVT in my '14 XT works well and relatively quietly, with little of the "rubber band" characteristics of early CVT's. 3 selectable driving modes let you choose responsiveness. Intelligent mode's "laid back", with gradual throttle response and tendency to keep engine revs low. Sport mode lets CVT rev higher and more responsively.. Sport Sharp keeps CVT hold a given gear longer as it pretends it's an 8 speed auto. IMHO Sport seems the best compromise for all but the most aggressive driving. Also, during warmup CVT keeps engine RPM's higher.

• fandangofandango Posts: 17

I got a 2014 Forester Premium CVT a few months ago and have put on almost 5k miles so far of 80/20 highway driving. Here are a few observations:

I'm averaging just over 30 mpg based on fuel purchases. The dashboard information display shows mileage to be slightly better than it actually is.

The CVT works well so far. I'm pleasantly surprised and quite pleased. However, I haven't really had it any seriously steep or rough situations where AWD was required.

My only complaints are very minor irritations, such as:

The design looks front-heavy and "jowly" to me, and the angle of approach is less than it should be for a vehicle like this.

The front seats are smaller than the seats of an Impreza, without any side support but with an aggressive lumbar support. It's comfortable...but not as comfortable as it could be.

When relaxed in a relaxed position, my left knee rests against the door and hits a sharp edge by the window controls. After awhile this is annoying and there's no way to adjust the seat to avoid it.

Finally, the front seats are just a little too far from the door. This makes it awkward to rest one's arm or elbow on the window sill. The arm rests on either side are at a good height and distance, but if you're used to resting an arm out the window or on the window sill, this feels a little awkward to me in this car.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,971

@fandango said: When relaxed in a relaxed position, my left knee rests against the door and hits a sharp edge by the window controls.

That's an issue in my '97 Outback too. Keep meaning to tape some foam to that spot. Good review, thanks.

• groovingdgroovingd OKPosts: 5
    Hey I'm new here and I'm on the market for a 2014 forester 2.5i base and I read online about that owners have trouble with the oil consumption which shouldn't be happening on a new car . Anyone read about it or dealing,with that ?
    thanks in advance
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269

This car has the same engine as was introduced in the 2011 MY, so if such a problem exists, it should be fairly well documented at this point. There is always going to be a consumption range from one engine to the next, and it will depend slightly on the user's oil properties as well.

I'm very pleased that my engine, which is a 2010 EJ rather than FB engine, generally runs the entire OCI without the need for topping off. I run my OCIs at 10-15,000 miles. I expected that I should need to add some oil every 4-5,000 from past experiences with Subaru.

Ok yeah I understand that . I remember reading that on carcomplaints.com about the 2014 from about 5 or 6 owners . But I guess it is negligible in the pool of 2014 owners.
    I'm going to test drive the base model , the XT and the XV Thursday.
    we shall see.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111

@groovingd

let us know your thoughts on the Forester & XV!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

null
    I certainly will :)
    Yesterday I went for a test drive of the '14 forester premium CVT (as they ran out of manual :/) .

At 6'1" , I didn't have any trouble getting in/out and the seating was fine . With a few adjustments , I was comfortable . The visibility is great in that car . I was impressed because none of the other cars I've owned had that much visibility (corolla, Accord,Mazda...).

The CVT for me , just doesn't work , I understand its intended purpose but I do thoroughly enjoy controlling the amount of torque and power I get with the manual.
    The info center was not close but it didn't bother me much cause I could still see it clearly.
    I don't know why they had to put the digital fuel indicator when the needle is just fine but that's a personal thing .
    I love the turning radius and that it was sure-footed and going when you accelerate . The car had enough power for me not too little not too much just right but looking,forward to drive the 6 speed .

I did a little sway test and we were not tossed around and I liked that very much . I was also pleased with the amount of room inside . My wife sat behind me and was surprised by that as well as the comfort . Being a drummer , the trunk has some good space and will be able to move my equipment with ease.

they gave me a price of 23000 for the base 2.5i including destination and transport since they will go get from another dealer + 3.25% and 299 ( excluding TT&L).

The dealership has about 5 or 6 '14 XTs on the lot . Really nice but I didn't wanna torture myself. I wasn't able to test drive the XV as they only had automatic models. My wife felt like it was just like the Impreza hatch we test drove before but only tough looking and higher of the ground. But she thought it looked nicer inside as a premium vehicle.
    Well that's all I got .
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111

@groovingd

I'm specifically NOT going to test drive an XT because I'm sure my budget will go out the window if I do:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• highalthighalt Posts: 4

I just posted under "Off-Road Experience". I test drove a 2014 XT the other day and really liked it. I live up at 7800 feet and need to be able to safely travel steep roads with lots of snow and some off-road scenarios, albeit not so rigorous as I've driven in the 2005 Jeep Rubicon I'm going to sell. I have been "warned" against getting the turbo by a friend who is a Subaru mechanic. After reading all the posts on these forums, I'm hoping he's mostly been working on pre-2011 models and hasn't kept up with changes made. BTW was given a quote of $31601 ($1000 below inv) for 2014 2.0XT Touring with popular package #2, sport grille gunmetal trim, all weather floor mats and cross bar set (options come with vehicle they already have on order). Any comments, esp regarding the turbo reliability? Thanks!

• saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 679

Consumer Reports says poorer engine reliability on XT turbo engines for some years to 2009. My 2010 XT had no problems and my 2014 XT is fine to date. Your dealer at least didn't load up the XT Touring like some I turned down before buying an XT Premium. Their in-stock Touring models were $37,000 plus!

Thanks for the reply. I did read Consumer's, which is partly why I suspected that the problems may have been on earlier models. Of course, I also wondered if the altitude here (6000-8000 feet) might affect the engine. How many miles do you have on your 2014 and what kind of mpg do you get?

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652

@highalt said: I just posted under "Off-Road Experience". I test drove a 2014 XT the other day and really liked it. I live up at 7800 feet and need to be able to safely travel steep roads with lots of snow and some off-road scenarios, albeit not so rigorous as I've driven in the 2005 Jeep Rubicon I'm going to sell. I have been "warned" against getting the turbo by a friend who is a Subaru mechanic. After reading all the posts on these forums, I'm hoping he's mostly been working on pre-2011 models and hasn't kept up with changes made. BTW was given a quote of $31601 ($1000 below inv) for 2014 2.0XT Touring with popular package #2, sport grille gunmetal trim, all weather floor mats and cross bar set (options come with vehicle they already have on order). Any comments, esp regarding the turbo reliability? Thanks!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't worry about the turbo. Everything I've read about the new 2.0 DIT has been positive; same with the high-torque CVT. Living in the mountains that's the engine to get.

Bob

Great. Thanks for both posts.

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652

@highalt said: Great. Thanks for both posts.

The only problems I've heard of with turbos are with kids abusing them, and modding them. Take care of it, and it will treat you fine.

Bob

null
    @nycarguy ,
    that's exactly why I didn't test drove the XT .. It looked really good but yeah the budget was going to disappear ... Lol..
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,904

@highalt said: Thanks for the reply. I did read Consumer's, which is partly why I suspected that the problems may have been on earlier models. Of course, I also wondered if the altitude here (6000-8000 feet) might affect the engine. How many miles do you have on your 2014 and what kind of mpg do you get?

Altitude is one of the best reasons for getting the turbo... Less loss of power at high altitude with a turbo..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs