Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Traverse Stabilitrak/Traction Control problems

Comments

• I have a 2010 chevy traverse LT with 48000 miles. Last week while driving my kids to school the "traction control off, service stabilitrac, service traction control" message appeared on the DIC and the car went into "reduced engine power" mode and would only drive 15 MPH! I live in the country with no cell service so I limped it home (thank goodness not too far away yet). Tried to turn it off and wait then restart as manual suggests but it didn't help, the message reappeared. Several hours later, went to drive it to nearest shop and it was fine! I took it in to see what codes it threw and everything pointed to TPS/throttle body but it was acting fine so no parts were thrown at it. Chevy dealership said "probably just fluke, hopefully won't happen again"! Not a good answer for me because I drive around with 4 kids in my car and dropping down to 15 mph at random is not safe! 1 week later it displayed the message and did it again! The dealership says its most likely not covered under the factory powertrain warranty, if it is the throttle body, and it is an expensive fix! It sounds like this is a common problem and I don't know how to proceed. This should be covered by Chevy! I don't feel safe in my traverse and can't afford to throw parts at it. Any suggestions?
  • Where do I find out about the recall? I have 2010 traverse.
  • Just had the samething happen on 2010 traverse LT at shop now waiting on what they say
  • jlg7jlg7 Posts: 16
    I am fairly certain for many previous posts about this issue that the 2010 models had a recall on this so it should be covered. However if you are still meet with resistance from the dealer look at the earlier posts with the #800 number to Chevy. They will work with you can call the dealer. This should be a covered repair. I called both Chevy and GM and have to say I was happy with the customer service I received.
  • Same thing just happened on our 2009 Traverse. I called Chevy to find out if there were any recalls and they said no but that there is a recall on your water pump shaft seal. Like several other posters we too have had this car in more than any care we ever owned. Love the car but feel like we should have waited and not bought it the first year it came out. We just hit 60,000 miles on it. I will be taking it in next week. If I learn anything new with the issue I will post it.
  • FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM: "SERVICE STABILITRAK", "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL", "HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE) "STABILITRAK OFF",

"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"

CAUSE:

FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.

SOLUTION: DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK- CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED) CLEANED INJECTORS- RESET COMPUTER- FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp)

TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86

REFERENCES (STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): http://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2010-silverado-stabilitrak-question-47580/ (AFM)-Definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management (ETHANOL): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures (GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

• I seem to be having the same issue as everyone else. My stabilitrack and traction control went out. I finally got it into the dealership and they say its the throttle body causing the problem. Its a near $600 repair. I want to know why GM knows this is a reoccurring issue in the traverse and have not notified owners and sent out a factory recall.

• proudmom4proudmom4 Posts: 2

Stabilitrak light comes on and traction control shuts off on 2009 Traverse. I called Chevy to find out if there were any recalls and they said no but that there is a recall on your water pump shaft seal. Took Traverse in on 12-6-13 to have a diagnostic run. Get call later that afternoon that the part they need to fix it is on backorder. My response was ok can you order it and we will bring car back in to get it fixed. I am told that the car is not safe to drive and that they will order the part get in on Sat and car should be ready on Monday. Today is 1-5-14 and we still do not have our Traverse back. We are told there is a national parts back order on the part. We were issued a rental. Got a call yesterday that said Chevy was only going to cover up to $532 of the cost of the rental. We are obviously well over that cost now and never told we might be responsible for the cost of a rental. The part that is on national back-order is 20833157 F-harness. We reached out to corporate late Friday after we got the call from the local dealership. We are supposed to hear back from the local dealer and corporate tomorrow. Not sure how there can be a national back order on a piece yet there is no recall. This entire situation is completely unacceptable. We have been extremely patient through this process but are just about at the end of our rope.

• proudmom4proudmom4 Posts: 2

I need to give credit where credit is due. I did get a call from GM yesterday and they reached out to the local dealer and they are going to take care of the rental. Still no word on the back-ordered piece that we have been waiting on for a month now :( Still asking questions like how is there not a recall on a piece that is on national back order.

• I hvae just experienced this same issue. I live by chicago and my traction control went out on me on Christmas Day with 4 little girls in my 2011 Chevy Traverse driving back from my moms house out in Dekalb. After taking it to Advantage Chevrolet in Bolingbrook Illinois, the outcome was a throttle body. After seeing all these issues with the same thing I'm blown away at GM... When does the manufactorer take ownership and actually want repeat business? Wonder why people start buying Hondas?? I have already replaced the window solvent motors in the truck and now this.. For a truck thats three years old is utterly ridiculous... I will contact the numbers I saw on here, but with all the help the dealership has been i doubt anyone at GM really cares... Just cash that check!!!!

• jennyjojennyjo Posts: 1

I am having the same issues. I have had nothing but problems with my 2011 Traverse. I'm ready to trade it!

• berriberri Posts: 4,203

Honestly, that vehicle has been out since 2007 as a Buick, GMC, Chevy or Saturn. How can it still have all these problems? That goes way beyond "teething" issues. Sounds like either faulty engineering or low quality parts to me. If you're thinking about trading it, you should probably move now while it still has some decent trade value left. I learned long ago that a vehicle that has a lot of problems is just a constant thorn in your side. Get rid of the aggravation and buy something reliable. Dump it - down the road you'll be glad you did.

• momo2000momo2000 Posts: 1

I followed this advice and it worked! We started with Chevy, got a claim number and then called GM corporate (#s below). After a little back-and-forth, our rep (we worked with one agent all the way through - very cool) arranged for us to have the diagnostic appointment for free. While we were there, the dealer just replaced the throttle body at not charge.

This was remarkable because not only had I not bought the car with this dealer, but when I first called them, they said it was not covered under the power train warranty for vehicles after 2009 (we had 48k on our 2011 Traverse). I verified this with a second dealer and expected a $300-$600 bill (depending on the dealer).

@jlg7 said: I have also found an interesting thread on Traverseforum.com titled Service stabilitrac/service traction control. Once you read all the posts the problem is the same. ( It just doesnt mention reduced power until further down in the posts.) My dealer dismissed it and if I get the error again, Im going to strongly encourage the suggested fixes be completed. I also called GM corporate complaint offices in Detroit to start a claim. 1-313-556-5000. They will make you call Chevrolet first at 1-800-222-1020. Once you get a file #( that starts with #71), you can call corporate back and they will get involved in your case with the dealer. I think it is important to report it as it will show that it is happening to a number of people. Hope this helps!

• jennconnerjennconner Posts: 2
    edited January 21

Add my 2010 Traverse to the no good list. Does everything everybody has already mentioned. We've had it for a year and put 35k on it. I am so disappointed. Stopped at the dealer this afternoon and the service guy clearly didn't want to deal with us.

• At dealer now...says the throttle position sensor needs replaced. Other threads, people have said that its covered under powertrain warranty. anybody really know? Looking at 500+
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496

jennconner; GM has had a lot of problems with the Stabilitrak/Traction Control on a wide range of vehicles (e.g. Chevy Impala) dating back to the 2007/2008 model years. If you check the Impala forums, you'll see GM covered this problem under the powertrain warranty for several years (I think up to 2009) and then changed their warranty coverage to exclude it (I'm guessing that GM processed so many claims that they decided customers should foot the bill.) I recently traded in a 2007 Chevy Uplander (it did not have Stabilitrak) and did not even consider another GM vehicle because of the Stabilitrak issues and engine problems with the 2.4 and 3.6 engines. Good luck with your vehicle.

• service stabilitrak / reduced engine / traction control off/ parking assist off

We have a 2010 Traverse LT my wife loves this car it has about 76000 miles on and we started getting this error message [service stabilitrak / reduced engine / traction control off/ parking assist off]. The first time we took it to the dealer they had said something about a wiring harness under the pasanger seat that was not fully inserted or something. The error went away for awhile and now it is back. Took it back to the dealer today they said something about a communication error between the throttle body and the EBCM saying they want to replace the EBCM for around 950$ the car is still under power train warranty but now they are telling me that this isnt a power train issue? Its a communication/electrical problem? Dealer said they were getting codes co561 and co242. After reading these forums I am tending to think that the problem is the throttle body. Also I am thinking about dumping in high octain to really clean it out. Thoughts?

• jpfjpf Posts: 496

knollberg; If you check out the Impala forums, then you'll see the reduced engine power problem is not limited to the Traverse (in fact many GM models have this problem). Failure of the Stabilitrak (GM's electronic stability control system) was covered by the powertrain warranty (5 years or 100k miles) up to 2008 or 2009. I guess GM saw all the warranty claims and then decided to exclude the problem from warranty coverage. Unfortunately, you will have to pay to get it fixed. The price of $950 seems excessive. I would review the Impala forums and check to see how much the repair typically cost. Good luck.

• amm240, who was the dealership that mentioned the warranty? I was told by my dealer that they knew nothing about it. Thanks!

• Similar to others, the "Service Stabilitrak/Reduced Engine Power" issue happened with my 2011 Traverse. I read this forum and the TraverseForum.com. After reading similar stories over and over again, I found a unique pattern.

When the Stabilitrak Error occurs at the same time as the Parking Assist Error, then it is most likely a wheel sensor problem that is easily corrected with a good cleaning. I took the car to the local car wash and gave it a good washing, including washing away all dirt and muck from the wheel wells. Now the traction control system is working fine and the error messages have gone away.

• Had a near death experience because of the "Service Stabilitrak/Reduced Engine Power" last night. I have a 2011 Traverse and with no warning the Service Stabilitrak appeared on my dash and I lost power. Going from 45mph to under 20mph in a matter of seconds in heavy traffic. With all the posting on the various blogs of countless ppl having this experiencing this and no recall. I am extremely disappointed with Chevy/GM, what is it going to take a death in order for them to get in front of the problem and alert the public and do the right thing and recall the part???

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,108

@sassyshamrock said: Had a near death experience because of the "Service Stabilitrak/Reduced Engine Power" last night. I have a 2011 Traverse and with no warning the Service Stabilitrak appeared on my dash and I lost power. Going from 45mph to under 20mph in a matter of seconds in heavy traffic. With all the posting on the various blogs of countless ppl having this experiencing this and no recall. I am extremely disappointed with Chevy/GM, what is it going to take a death in order for them to get in front of the problem and alert the public and do the right thing and recall the part???

Hello sassyshamrock,

We truly apologize that you recently experienced this issue with your Traverse. We would like the opportunity to further investigate this matter, and work towards seeking a possible resolution. If you would like our assistance, please PM us your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N. GM Customer Care

• So having the same issue on my 2011 Traverse. 53k miles, started 2 weeks ago, tonight I was driving in a snow storm, all the warning popped up and for the first time, dropped my speed to 15 mph! Dealership says I have to pay the diagnostic fee, and that the stabilitrak is NOT a warranty issue unless its the engine or Transmission, and thats said that it wouldn't happen. I have a case # already but that is not help as they also said its out of warranty unless it's the drive train. Very frustrated. I have had this vehicle for 17 month and already had the water pump recall done and now this. I can say I didn't think I would have these issues with a new vehicle. Already looking if I can trade it, may go back to Dodge.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,108

Hey sullyjmra,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern with your Traverse. I would be happy to review your case with you. Please send an email with your case number or VIN to socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jonathan A. Please also include your username.

I look forward to your reply,

Jonathan A. GM Customer Care

• @gmcustsvc said: Hey sullyjmra,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern with your Traverse. I would be happy to review your case with you. Please send an email with your case number or VIN to socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jonathan A. Please also include your username.

I look forward to your reply,

Jonathan A. GM Customer Care

So, I did what you asked, however, no response. Just got the great estimate! Throttle body (like everyone else) $619.00!!!!!! Ridiculous!! You guys sure have some scam going on. This many problems yet nothing is done to help the LOYAL customers

• Just purchased a brand new 2013 Chevy Traverse in July 2013 with only 100 miles on it. We now have about 8,000 miles on it and we just received the error message about stability track, traction control off and reduced engine power. With no warning on the highway going 80 miles per hour there were three beeps and then the car jerked and seemed to power down. We did not lose complete power, but could not go over 40 miles per hour.

This is a $35,000 car! We have three small children and can't risk their life by driving this vehicle any more. We are taking it in on Monday to the dealer, but I am not going to talk to them about fixing but rather returning it. How can I return a shirt at Nordstrom for $80 that rips after a year and we are expected to pay for and possible end up not having a fix to a potentially deadly vehicle. Should the dealer not be interested in refunding us and taking this "Lemon" back GM can expect to be prepared for this making the local Chicago news and I'm sure many others.

After reading these posts I am already frustrated and have not even been to the dealer the first time.

If anyone has any positive updates on fixes to this issue, please let me know. We are now down to one drivable car for a family of 5!

• klxmklxm Posts: 1

Same thing happened to my 2010 Travy. Ding ding, stabilization track system needs repair and engine power dropped and I couldn't drive above 20mph. I was very scared. Husband took it to dealer and they said needed servicing because it had been a while so it was a performance issue. 3 weeks later same thing happened and took back to dealer and the throttle body was replaced.

• They won't consider one issue a lemon. They replaced my throttle body last week at $619.00 on my 2011 that I bought in 2012. This is the third time in the shop since Nov. We just went on a pretty long trip and had no issues. If, when you start the vehicle, before putting it in drive, turn off the stabilatrak manually and there won't be any issues. That way you can still drive it, and won't have to worry about loss of power. Granted, you don't have the traction control but in most driving situations you don't really use it anyways. The dealer told me I could do this with no issues until they could get it in.

• jdh1985jdh1985 Posts: 1

I bought my 2011 Traverse exactly 30 days ago. It has a ton of miles on it, almost 72K. I took the dealer's aftermarket warrantee (Z-Max, which is supposed to cover nearly everything). Within the past two days, I have noticed a ridiculous vibration and whining/grinding noise when I turn in either direction at a slow speed. Needless to say, I am very frustrated. I traded in my 2008 Ford Escape which NEVER had ANY issues during the 85K miles I put on it for THIS???

During my test drive of this vehicle, I felt the wheel pulling to the right a bit and told the salesman (who rode along with me). He fed me some BS about how it could be the tire pressure or the condition of the road. I told him I thought it needed an alignment. He shrugged it off and never did anything about it. Shame on me for going through with the sale without demanding an alignment. This was at Mike Shaw Buick GMC in Colorado Springs, CO, by the way.

Now this... this whining/grinding and vibration while turning at slow speeds. I haven't had any messages pop up yet, nor have I had my vehicle lose power. However, I AM concerned that something is wrong with the Stabilitrak system (or the throttle body, after reading this forum). I'm now concerned about taking this vehicle on long trips, which is the sole reason for trading in my Ford for a vehicle with third-row seating - for MY KIDS who needed more room in the back seat while transporting them to their mom two states away (who I share custody with).

Also, after looking at my paperwork for the warrantee, I see that the dealer so kindly signed me up for the $200 deductable per visit option, and that I have to pay for diagnostics. I am FED UP already with GM. My dad RETIRED from GM in Michigan, and I should have known better than to buy another GM vehicle. I grew up in nothing but Chevy, Olds, & Buick, and I can't believe I thought they might have gotten their crap together.

I would greatly appreciate some assistance from GM on this matter. Being part of the GM family (my dad who worked for you guys for 20+ years), it would mean a lot. I really don't feel like dumping $300+ on a deductable and diagnostics into a vehicle I bought 30 days ago.

• mdi772mdi772 Posts: 1
    So my wife who is 9 months pregnant just had this issue for the 2nd time she was on the interstate when the car lost all power and the error message saying there was an issue with stabilitrak. She had to sit on the side of the road for an hour before I could get there. The first time they replaced the throttle body. This is crazy if you have a traverse sell it before it gets this issue if you are thinking about buying a GM product don't . This is coming from someone who would only buy GM. I have a 1994 Chevy pickup I bought brand new and a 2005 pontiac bonneville.