Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2003 Impala Failed NEW smog law-Catalytic C

famwkidzfamwkidz Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
We have our 2003 chevy impala we purchased used in 2009 shortly after we needed to replace the catalytic converter. Back then and still now there is now aftermarket CC for a 2003 Chevy Impala so a 2002 was put in not to our knowledge but according to the shop he followed all laws that were in place then. Well it passed smog in 2011 with no problems. BUT this Jan we took it in for a smog check and it passed all emissions no problem and the guys says your #'s dont match sooooo you have to go to a referee throught the state of CA. The guy there basically says the same thing apparently with the NEW law you have to have the 2003 in there to match the car BUT you can only get that from a dealer and that part/work costs $1200 and up. Since there is no replacement part for a 2003 chevy impala???????????????????????????????? Can this be our only option how horrible is that a part that has been working well for years and can only be replaced by a dealer WHY???? Any thoghts or similar stories would help :(

Comments

• Options
    littlegrayonelittlegrayone Member Posts: 6
    2010 Chevy Impala LT 3.5L Gas not Flex Fuel. Service Engine light on, Po2440 and po411 codes checked at dealership. Further tests p0417 & p2432. Charged me $568.36 to replace 12619123 valve to fix it. Car has less than 50000 miles on it and is just now 3 years old. I thought Federal Emissions Warrenty was good for 8years or 80000 miles. How come I had to pay the dealership to get it repaired?
  • Options
    calnjfamcalnjfam Member Posts: 1
    Greetings famwkidz,
    I too have a similar situation here in Cali.
    How was the issue resolved?
    I got a similar quote. Local dealership says $180 per O2 Sensor PLUS $1200 for CAT. We don't have that kind of money for such unexpected costs. Did you receive ANY assistance from the CA BAR? Thanks. :sick: