Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    "Most of the top passenger car manufacturers continue to reduce their warranty expenses, as calculated by the size of the expense per vehicle and as a percentage of their automotive revenue.

The good news spreads across Europe, Asia, and North America, as we reckon that six of the top eight automotive OEMs saw decreasing warranty expenses in their most recently completed fiscal years.

1) all of the European OEMs plus Ford and Toyota managed to successfully reduce their warranty expense rates in their most recent fiscal years, 2) Honda is back over $250 per vehicle for the first time in five years, though it still has the lowest vehicle warranty expense rate in the world, 3) Ford has the second-lowest vehicle warranty expense rate in the world, 4) Fiat once again has its warranty expenses under control, and 5) Toyota is now fifth out of eight, after holding second place from fiscal 2002 to 2006, but continues to recover from the massive recalls of 2009 and 2010."

Warranty Week
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    At least I know now that my constant harping on Mercedes reliability is backed up with some solid stats. Benz owners don't like to hear this.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    If Daimler learned anything from Chrysler, it was how to make an unreliable car! :D
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,912
    Could it be reliability, or parts and labor costs? I'm not seeing many of these vehicles on tow trucks or stranded alongside the road.
    Point is they are in the shop I think, a *lot* more than other cars. I bet it's mostly fussy electronics---a German weak point, IMO.

I would fully expect if I bought a new Mercedes or VW that I'd be in for warranty work of some kind in short order. I don't mean "break-down" but some niggling thing or another.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,701
    Looks like GM's claims are higher even than Ford's.
    "Both Fiat and Ford are cutting their warranty costs to within range of longtime low-cost leader Honda. Ford had the second-lowest accrual rate per vehicle, and that GM and Fiat were almost in a tie for third."

Sounds like all the Big 3 are doing pretty good with their claims.

Wish we could see Nissan's accrual rates.
    Well it helps if you deny them a lot :P
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    edited July 2013
    I was thinking the same thing. Can't duplicate...famous words of a GM service advisor.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,448
    Well it helps if you deny them a lot

That same thought crossed my mind, too...
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,253
    Those words from GM were the foundation of the :lemon: Law!
    ...and it looks like Honda leads the industry in low warranty claims.

Pretty amazing since the transmissions keep blowing up all the time according to some posters. :P
    And AC compressors. :)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    well, they don't replace those under warranty. so of course the claims are low.

and there is a difference between "good will" and technically under warranty.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,912
    I don't know about that, as this data measures cost rather than frequency. When labor and parts cost twice as much, the results will show.

No doubt Germans like complexity for the sake of complexity, and my car needed a couple of fettling visits, but on the forums I read, there aren't any real horror stories, or issues greater than mine.
    And AC compressors.

Yes, forgot about those, too. :blush:
    I don't know about that, as this data measures cost rather than frequency. When labor and parts cost twice as much, the results will show.

As I recall the MB claims were well more than 2x the D3. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Perhaps related to that spate of poor quality earlier in the 00's?
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,358
    I haven't heard of anyone getting used to an Aztek.

The Aztek looks like Maria Sharapova compared to a Cube or a Juke, although few here will actually admit it.
    I was thinking the same thing. Can't duplicate...famous words of a GM service advisor.

Uh...oby...GM's warranty costs are apparently higher than Ford's. It would be Ford most-likely denying them. ;)

And Ford has had lots o'problems with their new vehicles in the past couple years.
    Just to clarify...I think the Aztek is ugly, too. Predictably though, it's used as the poster-child for ugly when contemporary Nissan vehicles are at least as bad, IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.