Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,250
    You can throw this one out your window also!

Chevrolet Ranks Last In Latest U.K. JD Power Survey

Chevrolet doesn’t sell as well in the United Kingdom as it does in America. That much is a given. However, its limited success might have a thing or two to do with how the brand ranks in Europe’s J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. In the most recent case — dead last.

The survey consisted of 16,000 car owners in the U.K. and 116 models from 27 brands that are between a year and three years old. The requirements for a vehicle to be eligible for the survey are that it has to have at least 4,000 sales and 50 clean surveys. In total, respondents tallied more than 340 million miles in their cars.

Owners had to rank their vehicles based on 66 criteria, which are grouped to deliver an overall percentage score. Points are based on good reliability, performance, service and running costs.

Based on that formula, the winning brand was Jaguar, at 82.7%, followed closely by Lexus at 81.8%, and Honda at 80%. The bottom three were Mitsubishi with 74.5%, Alfa Romeo at 72.5%, and Chevrolet at 69.1%, with the Spark also ranking lowest in satisfaction for individual models. Yes, just 13.6 percentage points separate first from last, but nobody wants to be last. To note, Vauxhall came in 22nd place, which isn’t very good, either.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,282
    She's not very happy with our current decision to make her learn to drive the 5-speed in the Cobalt.

I think about 10 years down the line she will look back and thank you for the driving lessons with a stick.

I think looking back I'm glad I learned how to drive in an '87 Jetta 5-speed. I think it made me a better driver, and at least knowledgeable enough to remember to use neutral if the accelerator ever gets stuck.
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    I say go for it! Heck, even at $16-17K before taxes, that's quite a bit of car - and engine - for the money.

You've been talking about a replacement for the Park Ave for a year or so now .. and, you've been thinking Japanese mid-sizer with a 4-banger (Altima, IIRC).

This way you get a Mopar with 280 rompin' stompin' horses. Your commute is 2.5 miles - the difference between 19MPG from the Dodge and mid-20's (?) from the Altima works out to ... let's see, carry the one ... nothing. At least, nothing significant.

And, as noted above, take the $6K you'll save and get the De Soto finished.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,643
    edited August 2013
    Andreas is right, UP. The tire life and mileage ratings of tires are a marketing device. There are no set standards and nobody monitors what the tire company puts on the tire.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,349
    But to say that the durability of tire has nothing to do with quality is laughable.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,349
    Is there a single Chevrolet sold in the U.K. that is the same model sold in the U.S.?

Didn't used to be that way a few years back; don't know if there are Camaros and Impalas and Malibus there or not. Somehow, I'm thinking not.

Lots of U.K. posters on this board to be unimpressed with those numbers. ;)
    Your prediction is only coming true the last few years because of some of the most massive bailouts in US History, courtesy of twin brothers George W. Obama.

Otherwise I think you'll have to include anyone that's still driving who has a memory that reaches up to 2007 or so.
    edited August 2013
    My rental experience recently in an Avenger was a horrible impression of the car. Of course, I got the slow as snails you can watch paint dry and grass grow with full throttle 4-banger version.
  • that's why I always advise food stamps recipients to become corporations, so as to up their benefits :)

But seriously, you aren't saying that collective memory doesn't fade are you? Look at Hyundai. People obviously forgot what a piece of crap that car used to be.
  • You must have gotten a dog, or I got the V-6? My rental Avenger moved out smartly enough.
  • I think what he means is that since the 'durability" rating is somewhat meaningless, then the relation to quality is equally nebulous. Moreover, since there is no standardized testing, you can't really compare ratings from one brand to another.

About the only useful thing is that you CAN compare various types of tires within one manufacturer.

So "durability" ratings of all say Goodyear tires do have meaning, relative to each tire in their lineup.
    Audi costing multiples more.....

Try just about exactly 1.9 to 2X more on out the door costs.

But with nearly 2X the HP and 2X the torque, nearly 1,000 extra pounds, with the same gas mileage, well, heck, it's worth 2 times more not even considering the better interior and durability, and OH SNAP, lower maintenance/upkeep costs.

Some here would consider a $30K Audi besting the True cost to own of a $15K Dodge surprising. Not me; I've lived it.

Oh, and lastly, resale value seems to be at least not two but 3x better too. Ran my car at about $7K trade-in value with 104,000 miles. The Dodge couldn't get 4 figures at trade-in at 65,000 miles without negotiating on the price.
    I only mention my brother in law's Mazda because he lives in the same area as me and this happened last Saturday. Over $1,600 at 92K miles and he didn't even do the timing belt yet.....
    Agreed; I don't see it as insulting, but just pointing out the facts.

It seems he didn't know Hankook was a Korean brand.

Maybe he found the fact that Aveo had the name Chevy before it insulting?
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    JD Power Initial Quality Study results and Awards (26) for 2013:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/quality.htm
  • greg128greg128 Posts: 330
    edited August 2013
    "Oh, and lastly, resale value seems to be at least not two but 3x better too"

Well I just ran some resale numbers on a Dodge Avenger and an Audi A-4, used and new for comparing 2013 to 2008 model years. I am not sure of the original selling prices of the 2008 models, but I asume they were somewhat comparable to the new models. I chose a loaded up Avenger and a fairly base A-4 for the comparison. A loaded up A-4 probably would have skewed the results more in the Dodge's favor.

Results from Edmunds both 80K miles clean condition for 2008 models:

Audi A-4 2013 Selling price: $34500 Avenger: $23000
    A-4 2008 private party value: $13500 Avenger: $9500
    A-4 retained value: 38.5% Avenger: 37%
    A-4 total depreciation: $21000 Avenger: $13,500

Yes we all realize that the extra money is worth it to you but I had to call you on the 2x and 3x resale comment.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949
    The high tread wear tires I used to get were lousy runners as they aged and they never did all that good in rain, much less snow. I don't think the "quality" was there. (Mostly Yoko's and Costco Michelins).
  • greg128greg128 Posts: 330
    Interesting that GM won 8 categories. Closest after them was Hyun-Kia with 3.
    Only 2 each for Honda-Acura, Nissan-Infinity and Toyota-Lexus. Yeah I know,
    GM bought them off.

From JD website about the awards:

"The majority of problems owners experience with their new vehicle in the first 90 days of ownership are design-related rather than manufacturing defects. These design problems are far less likely to be successfully resolved at the dealership than are defects, according to the study."
  • The only quality study I'm interested in is the one that measures quality the day after the warranty expires.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    edited August 2013
    Tire Rack has their review and owner surveys on tires. The Michelin Defender tire seems to have good tread wear and good traction, but they are a bit pricey.