Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    "but you didn't buy one because a newer model is due out next year?"

That wasn't the only reason, but was certainly part of it. A year or so ago when I test drove an ecoboost f150 Lariat and I liked it alot. It's a very good truck and it's obvious why they sell so many. I have several friends with them that are happy. Honestly, the rational thing would have been to buy an F150. I decided to spend more and get what I liked better.

I'm not particularly brand loyal and I simply liked how the Ram drives and looks, inside and out. It has a bit more attitude that I like and as much as I like the Ecoboost v6, the Hemi sounds so much better;).

Truth be told, I bought the Ram for the longer warranty;) LOL
  • greg128greg128 Posts: 336
    edited September 2013
    "Chevy is a low-end, baseline, cheap, noisy, vibrating and harsh car that runs pretty well"

I find the engine in my son's 2007 Cobalt to be smoother than the turbo 4 in my cousin's RDX. . There is a vibration at idle that reminded me of my old VW Rabbit. I can understand why Acura replaced it with a V-6. The Cobalt is also quieter on the highway and rides better.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Furthermore, greg, the guy puts words in my mouth never once used in this forum by me.

With "banker" in his name, well....you know.

I brought my daughter's "new" '09 Cobalt home today. Real nice, quiet, tight little car. Drove it 124 miles home.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,142
    I always thought that new car trim was just shiny plastic. Today I was watching a Modern Marvels show on cable about chrome and lo and behold, they actually chrome coat some of that plastic trim. Didn't know that and wouldn't have guessed it either.
    edited September 2013
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,355
    edited September 2013

Right now, in the U.S. automakers are churning out cars like crazy. There certainly is some risk there that, on the one hand, they could be stuck with a lot of inventory. On the other hand, even if they're not, what is there to build future growth on? Really, the only thing to build future sales growth on is to do a better job of satisfying customers. You've got win over some of those purchasers of Asian brands and European brands.

LOT's of work for some manufacturers that buried their heads in the sand for decades.
    edited September 2013
    Again (sigh)--what is the yardstick? New car quality after 90 days? Sales satisfaction? Satisfaction after 3 years? What?

Interesting to note, regardless, that there is only an eight percentage difference between the lowest (low-priced brand incidentally) and the highest (high-price brand incidentally).
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,054
    I'm sure that Cobalt will work out for you. I still think it's the perfect car. Since my son has latched onto my black Cobalt, I would like to replace my 98 leSabre. But it only has 200K mi (in 1300 more miles), so there's lots of good miles left there.

The Cobalts ride and drive so nice and quietly,
    I had looked really hard at a one owner local 60K mi 2010 with a 2-year GMPP extended warranty through the dealer. It was just the wrong color and it was a 1LT and I'd like to have had a 2LT for the high price they were asking. It wasn't too much of a step to buying a '13 Cruze LT or +.

But I really had to push away and think about what I want and what I need to buy. I still think the Malibus that are from fleet and rentals are the best buy. I'm expecting some to return to retail sale as the toyotas flood the rentals along with all the HyKias.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    A good friend of mine just bought his daughter a silver 2007 Cobalt coupe.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,852
    Interesting to note, regardless, that there is only an eight percentage difference between the lowest (low-priced brand incidentally) and the highest (high-price brand incidentally).

Yeah, if that was put into, say, high school grading terms, that would be like the worst kids getting a C+ (I think those lowest ranks are actually around 78-79%) while the cream of the crop is getting a B+. So while I'd like to see the "problem children" do better, at least there is hope.

Now if the best was getting somewhere in the 95% range while the worst were below 70% or so, then I'd worry.
    edited September 2013
    I agree andre. Not really a huge difference between the best and worst.

I went out on a limb and bought a Ram. I simply like it more than the other pickups. If I wanted the most reliable truck, I would have bought a Tundra. If I wanted the best mileage I guess Chevy is the way to go (v8 anyway), and for performance/towing/hauling, the f150 is probably the best bet.

I simply don't care for the Tundra, great powertrain, but the rest of the truck doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the styling of the Chevy inside and out (personal preference), and while I do like the f150, they're everywhere and they're a bit dated now.

Honestly, as soon as my wife and I hopped into the Ram Laramie and took it for a drive, we were sold. I simply love the interior. It's comfortable, and I feel like could get in it and drive all day.

An update of FE, this week I've driven 111 miles, averaging 20mph (been dropping off and picking up kids at school), and it's been in the mid 90's, so I've been idling some while in line. I'm averaging 13.7mpg, which I'm satisfied with. The same scenario in the Expedition would have been 11-12 mpg, maybe less. Overall I've got 400 miles on the Ram and my average has dropped to 15.8 overall this week.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Exactly. What's the "average" bar really set at anyway? "Average" could in fact be "very mediocre", with the highest ratings not much more than "high mediocre" therefore.

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Is your Ram a 2WD or 4x4? It's an extended cab, but not a full 4 dr 6 seater right?

I'm curious about the process when it goes from 4 cyl to 8. What speed on the hwy with A/C on will it do this? Do you happen to notice if there is a more common gear that it's in when it does this more often? What about around town? If you do not drive aggressively, does it basically drive around on 4 cyl all the time?

Does anyone know if these MDS engines have some big miles on them yet without any longevity issues whatsoever? Honda, for example seems to have some teething issues with their V6 and I think they have ever since they offered one. The issue I hear now is oil consumption, but not sure how widespread that is. If it is only a few isolated cases, then seems odd to me. With oil consumption issues, you would think that there is a design problem that would involve huge numbers unless it was a faulty part that can be zeroed in on from a specific batch of lot/VIN numbers.
    edited September 2013
    I've got a crew cab, 6'4 bed 4x4 which seats 5.

As far as MDS goes. It seems to kick it any time your light on the gas up to about 70 or so regardless of the a/c being on.

I particularly notice it at slow speeds under 30 because it has a funny burble from the exhaust when it kicks in at low rpm. So I notice it kicking in more around town than at highway speeds. Under 70mph it goes to 4cyl mode anytime the terrain is flat and at a steady speed. I've even noticed it in 4cyl mode at low speeds while gently accelerating.

I seem to be getting 21-23 mpg on the highway if I stay under 70 running about 1,500 rpm or so. Driving in town it rarely goes over 2k rpm with light throttle. I'm amazed at how quick and smooth the transmission shifts while accelerating. It doesn't seem to reach 8th gear until about 50mph or so.

It appears the hemi and gm engines with MDS/DOD are reliable. I've heard of many of these engines capable of very high mileage.

Yeah, honda has had issues. The v6 in my dad's 09 Accord has been taken apart twice for oil burning issues. Seems the problem is more likely if driven in a manor that MDS kicks in a lot. That may explain why it seems to be more of a problem in the Accord vs. the Pilot or Oddy.
    I hope she likes it. The one I picked up yesterday had 6K more miles than the ad showed, and the seller gave me $500 more off because of it. So I have an '09 with auto, cold AC (and boy did I need it yesterday), CD, FM, PW, PDL, 57K miles, new brakes in June, good tires, for $5,501.00. Three months left on the 5 yr./100K powertrain warranty (includes cooling and wheel bearings as well as engine and trans). I wish I could've found one built in August '09, but can't be too choosy. ;)
    IMO, that's a smoking deal!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,054
    > I wish I could've found one built in August '09, but can't be too choosy.

How did you find this one? That's a great price.
  • ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    Several people have already pointed out that there is only about an 8 points difference (possibly 9) between the best and the worst. My biggest problem is with the way the graph is laid out, or "scaled".

If the person creating the graph had chosen to show a range of 0 to 100, then the differences would be very hard to see. Very hard. Instead, he (or she) chose a scale of 74 to 90. This tends to accentuate the differences, out of proportion.

It could have been worse. Choosing a scale of 78 to 88, for instance. The bottom two would be very, very small. Tiny even. Whereas the very top one entry would have been gigantic.

This is an example of what I call "lieing with numbers". Or, as Mark Twain said, "Lies, damn lies, and statistics".
    The Cobalt was on eBay. It was the only one I noticed that didn't have a reserve and ended in the middle of a weekday workday. ;)

The seller told me they have 30 Cobalts to list and mine was one of the first.

It was a fleet car, but he was able to include with the car the maintenance records back to the beginning.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    edited September 2013
    GM tried unsuccessfully to sell Opels as Saturns, so it looks like its Buick's turn at the wheel...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/09/11/reviewed-opel-concept/279890- 3/
This discussion has been closed.